Hello everyone, in a few days I'm planning to get a new smartphone, I'm switching from my old Samsung Galaxy S8. So, my question for you guys is: "What phone should I get?!". If you can come with some "pros" or "cons" it will be much better. I never tried an iOS phone btw, so Android will be an easy accommodation for me, but I would like to try something new, never say never, right? :). Leave your opinion in the comments!

Thanks!

1 year ago

Comment has been collapsed.

What should I opt for?

View Results
Android
iOS

I went from a Galaxy S5 to a Galaxy S20FE and I'm happy with it.

1 year ago

I went to ASUS Zenfone 4 Max Pro, because it was cheap and with the best quality

1 year ago

£800? wizard money. how much is that in muggle, he said jokingly.

1 year ago

IT'S OVER $900!!!!!
That's US.

1 year ago

Hm, but muggles live in UK... You mean no-majs? Thats the US term. 😅

1 year ago

Samsung Galaxy Xcover FieldPro

1 year ago

Happy cakeday

1 year ago

i got a s20 and one thing that i have to say is that it is the first smartphone i had that got unconfortable to touch. what are things that you value on your smartphone? which things are a must? what would be nice to haves?

ps. i've used a s7 edge before and really, it did anything i asked from a smartphone and if it had e sim functionallity i'd still use it today

1 year ago

I'd say stick with what you know, but some of that might be bias, as I really don't care for Apple. I just don't like the proprietary ecosystem.

BTW, be aware that most newer phones don't have a 3.5mm headphone jack like the S8 does, so keep that in mind if that's important to you. They do still exist though, even a handful from Samsung (like the A42), but you gotta do some research to find one, and I'm pretty sure they don't put them on their "flagship" series anymore. You'd have to go with a cheaper model.

1 year ago

Asus Zenphone 9 seems nice.

1 year ago

I will likely be buried with my S8. Unless the USB port gets too fatigued, then that shit is trash. Galaxy has been good to me, but iPhone is easy mode and no one seems to regret having one.

1 year ago

As someone who has had two Apple iOS's and didn't learn their lesson the first time, I would recommend not to. It's all good and fine for the first year-ish but then the battery life drops in quality, I had my first one for three years before taking it off the charger would kill it in an hour with no use; my current one I've had two years and needs to be charged in the middle of the day because it hits 20%.
I don't install or play game apps simply because it burns through my phone in an hour or two.

I don't recall my first iOS but my current is an iPhoneSE.

1 year ago

The iPhone SE line has a very small battery which part of the problem.

1 year ago

I really hate the bigger phones though, I have to use both hands and it's irritating since a lot of them don't fit in my pocket. I'm not buying an entire wardrobe to use a bigger phone and I dislike purses. Plus even though I don't have any apps downloaded, I keep getting notifications that I'm running out of space and to purchase more for a subscription fee; and I can't turn it off. =w="

1 year ago

Yeah, I like the smaller size but to keep the cost down they skimped on the battery. The 12/13 mini is the same size with a bigger battery. I got my parents both the SE 2022. I got myself the 13 mini. I figured if I have to help them with their phone anyways I would get them an Apple phone so it is easier for me.

1 year ago

How long have they used them so far and how are they liking them? I think I'm going to try Samsung next, ever since I saw that one video with the S21 where they zoomed in on the moon I've been absolutely enchanted.

1 year ago

They like them but my mom does complain about battery draining to fast. I got her a phone case that doubles the battery of the phone. With how big they need to make the text I would think a bigger phone would work better but they like the small size. They also use facetime a lot to talk to the grandkids and other relatives. They both use amazon fire tablets for gaming though as the larger screen makes it easier.

1 year ago

I was a Pixel user for the pure and simple experience for many years, but my 4a kept getting buggier and the new models seem to have software issues as well and just get bigger and bigger, which I really dislike (I prefer one-handed usage). I looked at Samsung, the Galaxy phones look good, but cost a fortune.
Ended up with a wonderfully compact Zenfone 8, which competently does everything I need my smartphone to do. Except for the fingerprint sensor being a bit slow sometimes, I'm extremely happy with it!

Find yourself a good deal with this one or the newer model, and you'll have an extra 300 left over for other purchases!

1 year ago

if your PC is macos then get iPhone. If you like the have updates for at least 5 years, get an iPhone. My android phones either got no update or one update. If you like security and privacy, iPhone. No device is perfect, so you have to find the one with the feature you want and doesn't have things you hate.

1 year ago

that's true, the software updates will most likely outlive the battery by about 4 years

1 year ago*

Battery management - if you start charging around 40% and stop charging around 80% you can keep the battery life much higher for a long time. My 2016 iPhone7Plus original battery still has 86% life now. The new shortcut automation makes alerting easier. My phone is EOL, it won't get iOS 16 and battery still works.

1 year ago*

that's great, but i would assume you are not the average smartphone user. not everyone has the time to adapt to their phones favorite charge cycle and screentime also plays a huge role here. i've had the iphone 4, 5s and 7, each lasted for around 2 years, after that, the battery was not able to survive for a single day anymore, even after being fully charged.
i agree that iphones are great allrounders and if you are not interested in investing time into researching which phone might suit you the most, it's always a great choice.

1 year ago

I really don't think apple would be the way to go since your budget is limited... I mean top tier phones are great, but anything from apple in the low price range is absolute trash in most cases. Of course camera and battery life are rather sweet. My gf got iphone 12 mini from work.. but I think that might be in the range.. I wouldn't say it's a bad phone, but she stated that she wouldn't get another one if she had to buy it herself. Then again - it is a previous model and the tiniest and weakest in the line....... so - do you want to sacrifice specs just to get apple? As suprcollider said - if you have macbook, then sure.. otherwise - I'd stay clear... But I don't doubt you would enjoy the phone if you got it ... really depends on expectations.. if size of the screen and perhaps some gaming on the phone isn't that important you could get sub1000$ iphone as well.

I am actually looking at new phone myself as well as I also have S8 .. smashed up, battery going dead, memory full .. but the thing has survived for so many years I can't even recall.. should be nearing 4 or 5 years I think ... But I'm hoping for a company phone myself :D So I might wait a bit..

As for replacements - I was looking at either S20 FE or S21 FE ... but eventually these phones are just worse editions of regular S20 and S21 .. but the price is still steep IMO ... S21 FE goes for 700-800 as I've noticed. Also Samsung Flip cought my attention.. Just had the previous model on discount for around 600 EUR ... almost bought it.. Fold would be really cool as well if it wouldn't cost almost 2k :D

Just my thought on some of the phones .. https://www.tomsguide.com/ - check this site for actual specs and comparisons.. I like it a lot

1 year ago

I'd say whatever the current (or maybe rather, the previous) Galaxy S is, since you're used to it and It will also make migrating your data easier.
But both options are valid, obviously, and trying something new is always (at least partially) nice :) The only problem I see with iOS, is that given your budget you might have to go for something refurbished.

1 year ago

If I were to get an Android phone for that money, my pick would go to the Google Pixel 6 Pro. It's around £650-£750 depending on the storage you get on Currys (sorry for only looking at Currys, I don't live in the UK so I don't know any retailers of electronics). It's one of the cheaper flagship phones if that's what you're looking for, which competes well with the other flagship phones on the market. Google does a decent job providing software updates when you compare them to other brands, giving out updates for major versions of Android till October 2024 and security updates till October 2026. The Pixel 6a will get them till July 2025 and July 2027 if you want to save some money. Google is also a bit more repair friendly in case of disaster, as it offers a fingerprint recalibration tool on it's website in case you need to replace the display. The setbacks with it are the fact that you wouldn't have a headphones jack or a charger in the box, therefore you'll need to supply your own USB-C to USB-C charging brick... and the camera bump if that bothers you but you can make it flush with a case.

1 year ago

I'd just like to point out that non-smartphone mobile phones still exist. Which of course may not be interesting, especially when used to having a smartphone, or when traveling a lot and using online map for navigation, or similar. But in my case I rather look at a big screen e.g. when reading news, and I rather use a proper keyboard e.g. when writing this, so I don't see much a point in having a smartphone as such.

And the money saved from not purchasing one and also not having monthly payments, that goes e.g. towards a new CPU and mainboard (soon), with which there is a way better gaming experience than with a mobile game even on the best of smartphones.

1 year ago

My last two phones were both OnePlus, price/performance ratio is geate on those

1 year ago

+1
Had a Oneplus 5T that lasted me 4,5 years, battery and performance started to go down after 4 years. But I wouldn't get their newest phone at full price, I think €900-1000 for a phone is crazy. Waited a bit and got me the 9 Pro on sale for €550 just recently.

All Samsungs (S-series) I had before that OP5T would last me maybe 2 years (batterylife went down fast)

1 year ago

Yup, they've been milking their image of "cheap flagship" like crazy, people still consider them low-cost despite 4-figure prices... They say the first impression is the one that lasts, that sure seems to verifies here.

I still have my OnePlus X (now as a secondary/backup phone), which on one hand was incredibly disappointing as far as software updates went, but on the other hand is still working rather fine. But now I'm hitting into the Samsung A2x / A3x, where the real proper low-cost is.
Not the price range OP is looking for though, just pointing out OnePlus's price/stuff ratio isn't as good as we remember from our memories of their first phones.

1 year ago

My bad, my impression definitely got skewed by the fact that the first one I bought myself, 6T for about 500 and the next one was bought for me by my employer, so the original impression of a cheap flagship remained

1 year ago

Too much to pay for chinese smartphone like for iPhone or Samsung

1 year ago

S10+ for £250, then use the rest to go on holiday or upgrade your PC ;)

Still a great phone

1 year ago

I'm an Android user and have been my entire life. I've got nothing against iOS. But I would debate that it's important what you want out of your phone. I will give you my honest opinion and non bias, despite using an Android for such a long time.

At any given time, I'd not refuse to try and own an Apple, but I'd never stop using Android, because I prefer it's usefulness.

Pros:

• Stability, security, simplicity and style = iOS
    I'd add that Apple phones take a lot better photos. If you're looking for that, it would be a better pick.

• Large pool of apps, games, flexible interface, sometimes cheaper and better than it's adversaries = Android

Cons:

• iOS is overall more expensive and getting yourself other accessories along the way will lead you in a lot more spending, but that isn't always the case, and you can get out more stuff if you choose to buy an Android instead.

• Android phones are although more powerful than iOS and have more RAM, they tend to have operating system delays and performance issues, not to mention that camera quality isn't as good as the iOS is.

All in all, go with what you're thinking to use for the most. In the end, you're trying to kinda spend the same amount on the phones and both Apple and Samsung have now similar prices.

1 year ago

Camera quality can be as good (and even better) on Android. It really depends on the phone. It's also a but subjective since looking at rankings from various websites, Apple/Samsung/Google are all someone's best camera phone, yet a site like Digital Camera World places the iPhone 13 in 6th place behind Samsung (S22 & S21), Google (Pixel 6 Pro & 5 Pixel 5), and Sony (Xperia 1 III). Overall, most flagships have cameras that rivals Apple's offering. They're often better in some areas and worse in others, which is why from one site to another the ranking can be so different depending on what they value the most.

1 year ago

From my experience as a photographer, iphones do tend to have great image processing, but people mistake it to be "best" due to simply having good screen (and a lot of cases small with being below 5 inches). And of course Apple does have good screens. But overall if you take any other flagship smartphones camera (even half priced phones) and compare the pics actually on computer, for the most cases you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. It's just that the phone itself will produce brilliant looking photos on it's small screen.

Granted - iphone does produce some brilliant photos and I am not arguing that. But yeah - for the most part this "ihpone has better this or that" comes from bias. Same goes for android. As far as the user is concerned you wont see the difference with android or iphone ... unless of course you take the lowest grade samsung or some old iphone SE.. So basing buying one flagship over another on camera is silly.

1 year ago

IPhone 4S was actually my first smartphone. Didn't like that you can't install anything outside of AppStore or move files easily from and to phone. Switched to Android next year (Samsung Galaxy A3) and it was a much better experience for me. Used it for more than 5 years, until battery couldn't hold much anymore. Switched to Poco X3 Pro last year.

1 year ago

What's important to you in a phone? The high end models are usually good in most regards, but if you're just using some of the features it might be better to go with a mid-range phone that happens to be good at the things you care about and save yourself some money.

1 year ago

Personnally I would go for some good Xiaomi phone in the 200/300 € range at maximum, and save the rest of the money for something else :-)

1 year ago

I have Redmi Note 10 Pro - good quality/price ratio for me.

1 year ago

Can get a S21 FE, mint condition, for $400. Great screen, great camera, and will have several years of firmware support. Has worked great for me so far. Pretty sure mine was actually brand new too.
https://swappa.com/buy/used/samsung-galaxy-s21-fe-5g/unlocked

1 year ago

i would not recommend buying any used phone.

1 year ago

I haven't had problems with getting used phones myself.
Friend of mine recently bought used iphone 13 for greatly below store price and everything is in perfect order.

I as well got some older LG phone years ago when I needed one urgently. apart from being a bit scratched up it worked really well. It did die but I think that was after 2 or 3 years of using it ... which was already after 2 years of being used by previous owner.

So I think if the deal is fine I don't see much problems there.

1 year ago

main problem i see here is battery. used phone provides reduced battery autonomy. buying a new battery can cost a lot of money. even A third of the cost of a phone. battery replacement will also cost extra money.
also usually u dont have warranty at all. maximum u can get is 6 months. so be ready to spend xtra cash .
i d go with brand new phone that never repaired and never used for sure. 2-3 years warranty does matter.
so Buy nice or buy twice

1 year ago

In this case iphone is a bit better because you can see the battery health at least. And AFAIK it's pretty accurate.
Might be that android phones show it as well now, but Im not sure. Either way I think it's a bit better now.

But yeah, of course that is a risk. Now that you mention it I did change the battery on LG.. but that was when you could do that without breaking apart the phone.

Overall I agree of course - I prefer to go for new as well, but getting used phone IMO is not that bad.

1 year ago

My battery is in great shape. I wouldn't buy anything below 'good' condition though, and really would stick with 'mint' condition if possible.

For half the cost...I'm glad I took the chance.

1 year ago

I would suggest Fairphone. The biggest advantage is that you can repair it with just a screwdriver. You can change whatever part you want on your own, from the display to the USB. Also, you can change the firmware with a custom one and you don't lose your warranty. I have had the latest model, Fairphone 4, for 9 months and I'm pretty happy with it. It cost me around £500. https://shop.fairphone.com/en/buy-fairphone-4

1 year ago

800 bill for a phone? I suggest you to put money in really usefull thong :) anyway a galaxy fold if you really want a great one

1 year ago

That's an expensive thong though!

1 year ago

hey thank you captain grammar

1 year ago

Anytime my friend! Although, it doesn't have much to do with grammar ;)

1 year ago

Buy a $20 phone. The pros is you would have almost $800 to spend on something else. :)

1 year ago

This would be my go to option... I have no use for an expensive phone simply to text, talk or listen to music on the go. Would rather throw the money at my PC. My current phone was free with service, LG K61.

1 year ago

Closed 1 year ago by Myklex.