-Edited out all the other information and narrowed down the results and builds to the two below-

A: GeForce GTX 760 Build

or

B: Radeon R9 270 Build

Also, If you have not entered into my giveaway for helping me join it now. :-)

I will be counting the tallies below for either A or B. w.e one wins will be the one I buy..

Update on (A) Build: Is the optical drive needed? Or, can I just use a USB stick for the OS instead of a Disc?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Bump for disappearing off first page :'(

1 decade ago

I would suggest looking at pcpartpicker.com and asking on their forums for ideas.
I would help myself but I don't have much experience with Mini-ITX motherboards, so wouldn't be able to recommend anything.
Though the build would be most likely an AMD build for that price range. Don't know why you stated either a AMd or Intel build?? Is there something different? haha

1 decade ago

There are other processor manufacturers, but they're not as good, IMO. They mostly do specialized chipsets, such as for mobile devices, and there aren't many processor manufacturers in the consumer desktop market.

1 decade ago

Yes I know there are others for mobile such devices, but those are the only two that I would even think for an actual PC which is what we are talking about.

1 decade ago

Generally I would be afraid of the power supply, but since it's a combo, I would say that it is a fairly solid build for the price. You'll need to grab Windows separately, and that's a chunk of cash, and the integrated graphics card is underwhelming- there's no way you're going to pump out that kind of FPS on an integrated, even one that nice, and the USFF means that you probably can't get that sort of FPS in a discrete graphics card without needing another power supply, which is not happening in a Mini-ITX.

TL;DR: You're probably not getting a 60 FPS Skyrim Ultra in that form factor, much less at that price. However, for a cheap console replacement machine (with Windows, add another chunk of cash) you probably can't do a ton better.

1 decade ago

Update:
I am not "written in stone" with the $599 price point.. I can bring it as high at $1300 But, that is without any peripherals etc.. But, if it means a better system.

Up to what you all think is best.. Just, want the best value/fps as possible in a small form factor.

1 decade ago

Honestly, the sticking point probably isn't the money, it's the form factor. It's hard to fit a full scale graphics card in a mini-ITX system, and that's the problem. You could toss more money at it, and get a better system, but it will still be limited by the components you can fit in. You definitely cannot do it with that combo- the case comes with an integrated 200W power supply, and most full form factor graphics cards chug that for breakfast.

1 decade ago

I've seen someone fit a Titan into one of these on PCParts forums.. But, no way in hell am I shoving out $900 for a titan rofl.

On the other hand.. I also saw a 780TI for $750 in the Cooler Master case.. it was a tight fit it looked like but looked awesome.

1 decade ago

If you're willing to go that high, I can dig up my recent build and let you have it. I'm very happy.

Running cool, running everything I'm throwing at it, and not having any issues.

Also (for a PC) pretty darn portable.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

That RAM will be a limit. Should be at least 8GB, preferably 16.

1 decade ago

Limit for what? He only wants to play games, why would he ever need 16gb???

1 decade ago

... 4 GB is going to be a major problem for load times and performance on highest settings. Trust me. Most games that are more than 4GB aware use that extra memory for a lot of things. Plus, you get Steam, a VOIP client, anything extra running in the background and that 4GB will be gone on a x64 system.

1 decade ago

Please do state games that really use more than 4gb. Skyrim needs a patch to use more than 4gb to get "some improvements" but mostly it's tied with the gpu vram not ram by itself. Steam only uses 150MB of ram... unless he loves opening 20-30 tabs in chrome he won't have a problem.
The only thing he should care about is that the ram is low profile so it fits in the case and low latency, which will deliver better performance, not by having 16 gb.

1 decade ago

It depends on a lot of things, including the OS and background software. If you're running an uber-optimized install of Windows, you should be fine. But, 8 GB is safe. 16 GB is if you want to run tons of stuff at once. The problem is that the OS eats a chunk, and then other things eat a chunk, and by the time you've built a rig that can run things nicely, you're hitting a bottleneck at the RAM. Eliminating the RAM bottleneck with 8GB is a safe step that helps keep machines running nicely.

1 decade ago

Have you read what he wants for his build? His budget? He said he wanted to play skyrim ultra 60 fps for 600$ and that's the build I reccommend. There's no point in having 16GB of ram unless you do heavy editing and/or streaming. Please don't miss inform people. If he wants to game, first he has to look at gpu and then other stuff, not ram.

1 decade ago

Call of Duty Ghosts used 6GB at launch and needed a patch to run with systems of 4GB.

1 decade ago

BEST EXAMPLE EVER... Call of Duty Ghosts uses 2GB of ram, it has a virtual lock for 6GB.

1 decade ago

does that matter? no, it has the potential to use more than 2GB, which unless you have a shit system it does.

Some other games have also went over the 4GB mark as well. Also if you want any future-proofing at all you really do want at least 8GB for a gaming PC. 6GB at minimum.

1 decade ago

Yeah, keep talking about GB disregarding frequency and latency.

1 decade ago

Frequency and latency are important, but some things need volume, not just speed.

1 decade ago

Don't know where that came from, since you were the one that started the convo about the size of the RAM...

Anyway that's true to a point as SquireZed has stated.

1 decade ago

And about loads times, that its mostly bottlenecked by the hard drive not by the ram....

1 decade ago

Not if all your RAM is in use. Trust me, on my old rig the RAM usage was keeping programs from even booting, and a switch from 4 to 8 solved most of the problems. There was also a corrupted Windows install, which was causing the excessive memory usage, but hey, I found that out later...

1 decade ago

The OS should be using about 1gb give or take, a game it may use a 1-2gb. He won't be able to be running lots of stuff, but with his current butget he shouldn't complain about that stuff.

1 decade ago

Windows 8 has been known to go as high as 3 GBs at times, but its still faster than 7. So if he wants to use the better operating system, the small amount of money that it takes to upgrade to 8GBs is worth it.

1 decade ago

8 GB of ram is about $15 more...and you're missing an OS

1 decade ago

It's a good start but you'd want to add your own video card (the inbuilt one is good for basic stuff) and swap out the power supply for something like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338081

1 decade ago

An idea. You may want to tweak the hard drive and the optical drive; I assume you won't want Bluray, but I built it in anyway, because if you're going for console emulation, you'll probably want some media functionality too. I'm not sure how it would benchmark in practice, and you may want to drop the RAM to 8 GB for price efficiency, but this would probably hit the framerates you want.

The compatibility filter says that the graphics card is compatible, but I'd double check the PCI connection.

1 decade ago

To add to the form factor issues, almost all of the mITX cases I have seen do not offer enough space for a good cooler and you are talking about a warmer CPU to meet your needs. mITX seems to be geared more for HTPC applications IMO. Gonna jack the price but you'd almost have to get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119286 which has support for a 120MM water cooled radiator. THis will make it quieter and add to the slickness of it.

That said I have a huge beast of a case on my desk with 7 fans screaming and I don't even care...

1 decade ago

To OP, you should better ask in the forums in anandtech, tomshardware or linustechtips (each one will give you more recommendations towards either a i3 4130 or fx 6300 for cpu or for gpu 660 or 270x). There's tons of people that know better than me and you should be a bit more informed.

1 decade ago

for price/performance you are better with a 8core like the fx-8350 or 8320

1 decade ago

I guess you're just trolling :c. WHyyyyyy

1 decade ago

Okay...here ya go.

Cooler Master Elite 130

SeaSonic G Series 550W

Intel I5 4750 3.2

Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI (my preference on the wifi)

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 (I got a better deal on the dual bios card at the time)

Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 (4GBx2)

Crucial M500 120GB SSD

Your favorite 7200rpm HDD at a size you'll need (Mine was a WD Black 1TB)

Total for me at the time in January was just under $1200.

I'm very happy.

The cable management in the case was a puzzle, and I had to do one re-paste due to a dumb move on my part.

But I'm running cool, fast, and without issue.

G'luck and let me know if you have any questions.

edit: I also factored heavily for a low-noise rig, and I'm pretty happy about that part, too. My laptop is way louder. It's not silent, but it isn't a runway rig, either.

1 decade ago

So what specifically do you want in the case? Size? Weight? Looks?

My favorite mITX case is the Bitfenix Prodigy but many people would probably consider that too large.

Edit: My suggestion http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3cZNG

Doesn't hit your $600 price point but I didn't want to compromise on anything. You can shave off $90 if you have a copy of Windows already.

1 decade ago

Check manufacturers websites, Acer has amazing deals on the occasion.

1 decade ago

• CPU: AMD FX-6300 Black Edition($120)

• Motherboard: Gigabyte AM3+ Micro-ATX Motherboard($65)

• GPU: Gigabyte R7 260x($120)

• Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue 4 GB($40)

• Hard Drive: Western Digital Blue 1TB($60)

• Case: Inwin Dragon Slayer MicroATX Mini Tower Case$64)

• Power Supply: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus – 500W($40)

clicky

1 decade ago

He said he wanted Mini-ITX which is completely different to MicroATX

1 decade ago

Mini-ITX? Don't go anywhere near AMD. You can't remove all the heat from the case without it sounding like a jet engine.

1 decade ago

Used in very small cases, only room for 2x RAM and 1 GPU, the cases themselves rarely have room for a full GPU as well, let alone decent cooling.

Also what about water-cooling haha

1 decade ago

Water cooling is stupid in general.

Mini-ITX is doable with a low-frequency Intel and a 7790/750Ti at most. AMD is out of the question entirely.

1 decade ago

what about this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3cVo7

1 decade ago

Forget about it.

Even if that card fits inside the case (which it probably won't), it's a 250W card. You can maybe - MAYBE - deal with 80W in a mini-ITX case. Maybe.

1 decade ago

What about this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3cVo7

Also, in that build would it be possible to fit a radiator instead of the front fan? Also, I wonder If I can change the motherboard.. never heard of that company and generally whenever you never hear of a company its bad news D:

1 decade ago

Looks fine for the most part. I would change the PSU to the Antec HCG 620W one though; same price but better quality. I would generally prefer a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive too.

ASRock is pretty well known for good quality budget mobos. As for a radiator in the front, yes it supports it if you want to go down that route.

1 decade ago

You could save some money and go with Nvidia for the GPU? The 760 has some of the best power for your money right now: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp43765kr or you could even go with the 750 TI, its really energy efficient (60 watts) and rather cheap for how powerful it is: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp43753kr

1 decade ago

Sorry, no trading on SteamGifts.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

I know I see this all the time too lol

1 decade ago

Heres my build. Should be quite a bit cheaper since I bought it.

1 decade ago

Whats your FPS on Skyrim just wondering :-)

1 decade ago

Ran it on ultra with no problems I believe. Not too sure about the exact fps.

1 decade ago

What about this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3diop

1 decade ago

Wow, that's going a bit overboard now. Thought you wanted a Mini-ITX board?
That should be able to run Skyrim at the 60 FPS mark on quite high settings.

1 decade ago

Heh, I "did" but to get the same performance out of Mini-ITX it was like 2200$ x_X or not even applicable because certain parts couldn't fit.

1 decade ago

This should suit what you are looking for, other than the fact that it's not a mITX.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3duMs

So really $1170 for that, then if you really wanted great gaming performance, you could add another GTX 770 in SLI so $1500. Though you could easily wait and add that later. Really the only other thing you may have to upgrade in a year would be the memory, that processor should keep you going for awhile. This is if you want to stay at the 60 FPS for decent games.

1 decade ago

Sorry but no...just no...poor selection of almost every part.

1 decade ago

Why?? besides just the negative view?

1 decade ago

AMD FX-8xxx processors are a poor choice. I know people like to recommend them but unless all you do is use heavily multi threaded programs or need the integer performance, Intel's single threaded performance is just too much better.

Arctic Silver 5 is old and no longer worth it when you can get MX2/MX4 for cheaper.

There's no reason to get a 6GB version of the 280X.

There's better power supplies available than a Seasonic G series and at cheaper prices too.

The sound card is pretty expensive...unless it has some specific feature you need, I don't see why a Xonar DGX wouldn't work. Or for something more expensive, a dedicated DAC/Amp setup.

There's been a number of mITX builds in this thread already that would give you similar performance and at half the price so I'm not sure why you put this build together.

1 decade ago

Don't want to invalidate everyone else opinion, but if u really want to talk builds , feel free to add me on steam.
I ran a pc shop and I frequently made builds for people for various needs.

1 decade ago

Will do bro! Thanks for the offer! :-)

1 decade ago

-Edited out all the other information and narrowed down the results and builds to the two below-

A: GeForce GTX 760 Build

or

B: Radeon R9 270 Build

Also, If you have not entered into my giveaway for helping me join it now. :-)

I will be counting the tallies below for either A or B. w.e one wins will be the one I buy..

Update on (A) Build: Is the optical drive needed? Or, can I just use a USB stick for the OS instead of a Disc?

1 decade ago

It seems like you are picking the most random parts ever, you shouldn't do that while building a computer.

But that aside, those builds seem ok, but you realise that Build A may have an issue. Also I'm quite iffy about that power supply.
CD Drives aren't that needed these days, but it's totally up to you, I would load Windows from a USB myself.

1 decade ago

Eh, not picking the parts.. those are just builds I found that other people submitted on Toms Hardware for Gaming builds under $700

1 decade ago

Have a look at this built, not that much more over the one you said.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Betabotx/saved/47rE

You can even change the HDD to the one you had if you want.

1 decade ago

Any Recommendations for a diff HDD?

1 decade ago

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
or
Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB

Either are good drives it's up to you. The Hitachi one is faster by a tiny bit, whereas the WD drive is known to have the better reputation.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Badgerized.