1 decade ago

Comment has been collapsed.

lol

1 decade ago

Mother of God.

1 decade ago

Worth is subjective and as such changes for each person. However, I think the consensus or rather the majority of users here would agree that 1800 is far to much for the amount and type of content offered in the DLC.

1 decade ago

It is indeed far too much, but there are a few miserable souls out there that would actually pay $1800 for that pack over time, or at least pay $1000 which was its sale price I believe? So on this earth with 6 - 7 billion people there are probably 3 - 5 people that would pay that much, meaning they will make like $5000 +, its not really about selling it to a lot of people just to the freaks who love the game, and they make more profit this way.

1 decade ago

I think I'd seen that figure bandied about before, but I thought it must be a joke or exaggeration. I just checked the store. What. The actual. Fuck.

1 decade ago

First I question who actually plays Railworks3, I'm amazed they made something as boring as running a train system a video game.. Then to tack on $1800 worth of DLC? Overkill much.. The game imo isn't worth the original price..

1 decade ago

get a load of this scrub, haha doesn't understand real pro gaming.

1 decade ago

Get a load of this troll, haha doesn't understand how to real pro trolling.

1 decade ago

Get a load of this idiot, haha doesn't understand what joking is

1 decade ago

Get a load these guys they don't know how to get loads.

1 decade ago

Bitch Please Yaoming Dah Fuq Did i just read ?

1 decade ago

wtf?

1 decade ago

9gag much?

1 decade ago

It's a simulator, not a game.

1 decade ago

It's boring, is what it is.

1 decade ago

Its got steam achievements, so eventually I will run out of games to play and I'll play it.

1 decade ago

Buy a real train instead!

1 decade ago

XDDD +1 mate

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

I was thiking on post this +1 <3

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

so much truth there..

1 decade ago

Well a passenger car costs can cost around $1,300 if it is in bad condition so it is almost better to just buy your own rolling stock rather than put it down on Railworks.

1 decade ago

how bout a model train set
?

1 decade ago

A starter set can cost are 200 up. If you were buying everything separately then the same amount for the DLC of Railworks could get you started with a basic circle. To do anything more amazing I suspect you might need another thousand for wire and various paints and plasters to build the model world for the railroad to be in.

In a way to build a model railroad you have to be an artist so I kinda cut the guys slack a bit.

A train layout like those under the christmas tree? You can just stop at the max of around 800 for a starter set. After that you get into an area that would take paragraphs to talk about.

1 decade ago

XO damn i had one when i was a kid didn't know it was that expensive huh i guess that explains why my grandfather flipped

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Amazing trailer!

1 decade ago

2spooky!

1 decade ago

was about to post this.

1 decade ago

Any idea of how much HD space you need for all that DLC?

1 decade ago

Not sure if this includes all of it, but "Hard Drive: 6 GB of free space + 3 GB for DLC"

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 week ago.

1 decade ago

You realize it isn't a game right? There's no highscores, end bosses, storyline, etc.

It's an accurate simulation of trains. This is the virtual equivalent of buying detailed models of trains. Models are expensive, these trains are somewhat less so in comparison.

1 decade ago

I guess that makes sense

1 decade ago

You know what a simulation is?

A really boring game.

1 decade ago

I do, you don't

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 week ago.

1 decade ago

Virtual trains need to be researched, modeled accurately, coded to run like the real one, tested, debugged, and the digital distributor (Steam) takes a nice cut. I fail to see the huge difference.

You sure can use 'simulated' money, just type in your credit card number. I mean all your money is is some 0s and 1s in Visa's (or whoevers) database, right?

1 decade ago

/\ This, plus, all modern money is "simulated", even the cash in your wallet. None of it is backed by anything of any intrinsic worth.

1 decade ago

I love English bank notes. They outright say on the front that they're literally IOUs from the Bank of England. We're just trading around IOUs that never get paid.

1 decade ago

Scottish are even better. Banknotes from private banks, with big advertisement of said bank on the front, that aren't accepted on 60% of the country they're the currency of, that don't even pretend to be IoUs...

On the flip side, I liked pound coins, even started collecting different patterns when I was in UK. Ended up with, IIRC, 21 different coins.

1 decade ago

We collect them too. We have some pretty awesome designs on them.

1 decade ago

And this is why call of duty is popular.

1 decade ago

/thread right here. Came to say this exact thing.

1 decade ago

Interesting point. I never thought of it that way.

Personally, if I were to develop a collectable model hobby/knack, I'd probably want something a bit more tangible.

That's just me though. To each their own.

1 decade ago

I remember that i tried to play Microsoft Train Simulator back in the day. I never got into it and i think that those games are only for people who absolutely LOVE trains. Those are the people who would pay that kind of money, and if they enjoy it, Good!

1 decade ago

Buy a model train set instead if you've got a big enough love of them to consider buying $1800 in DLC :] That's my advice. Otherwise, stay far, far, away.

1 decade ago

Is that a legit price lol? I looked at the dlc's on the steam page but.... dear lord wtf.

1 decade ago

Yes. Trains are always worth it.

1 decade ago

I doubt anyone owns it all. I think it's more of a "flood the market with every type of train there is" so everyone will find something to buy kinda deal.

1 decade ago

Waiting for the 90% off daily deal.

1 decade ago

It's 80% off now.

1 decade ago

Wait until Christmas.

1 decade ago

Railworks 4 2013 will be out by then...

1 decade ago

Now I am unsure of what to do... :-(

1 decade ago

it cant be any worse than Street Cleaning Simulator or Garbage Truck Simulator.

1 decade ago

The winner of the Christmas contest HAS most of the DLC now lol besides anything that just came out

1 decade ago

I actually have friends who bought this, they have like 100+ hours each on the game with all the dlc lol

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

its worth it if you want it to be this cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY

1 decade ago

Wrong game...

1 decade ago

Beat me to it. Not only is it the wrong game, but that video really doesn't do the games justice.

1 decade ago

Unlike most of the people commenting here, I actually have the game. That said, of course $1,800 is not worth it. The majority of the DLC are as expensive as a game in its own right. Supposedly, a lot of research goes into each DLC to make each new train set as realistic as possible but that simply is no excuse. This is a game where you simply can't collect all of the DLC for that "complete" feeling you get when you have finally amassed all of the DLC for a game. The outrageous price prevents that. However, most people who have this game don't have an interest in collecting it all and that's probably why it's so expensive. They will just limit themselves to the add-ons that feature trains they really want. Each DLC usually also comes with a number of scenarios as well. In any case, there's so many add-ons that, even if you could get all the DLC for a dollar a piece, you would need hundreds or thousands of hours to utilize them.

As for the draw of the game itself, well, it's a good game for relaxing to atmospheric sights. Just like a real train offers. Years ago, one of my favorite things to do was to get opiated and ride trains, just looking out the window and enjoying the unique atmosphere, and a game like this can recreate that kind of experience. (That said, I'm not advocating abusing opiates... if you do, you'll never escape the horror of withdrawal. It's inevitable and not worth it.)

1 decade ago

"Just like a real train offers." But without having to endure all the horrible passengers? Ok, i'm interested now.

1 decade ago

The only time I've ever encountered horrible passengers on trains (and I've ridden trains in multiple countries, from Connecticut-New York City in the US to Athens-Thessaloniki in Hellas) has been at 3:00 AM rides. I'm not talking about metros or subways, just regular above-ground trains.

1 decade ago

I envy you then. Here in eastern europe it's a matter of spending much more money or a bus, or riding the cheap-ass barely-working train with cavemen.

1 decade ago

Well, Hellas is often considered part of eastern Europe -- south-eastern Europe, or the Balkans, to be exact (that said, Europeans don't really regard us as European but we don't either) -- but the situation is a lot different. All the major trains, including metros, have been modernized. However, I don't remember train ride prices being either extremely cheap or extremely expensive (unless one takes the fastest train possible, in which case the price goes up). The old, barely-working trains with no air conditioning or heating also exist but I haven't taken one of those since I was a child. They still run but no one really takes those, except maybe gypsies or others who can't afford a moderately-priced train ride.

In regards to the latter, the metro in Athens was built in 2000 and even has museum-style excavations that one can admire in certain areas. The whole metro is also guarded by police officers with sub-machine guns so people don't have to worry about crime or anything.

1 decade ago

Ride London to (anywhere) at rush-hour on above-ground trains for even a few days a week for a few weeks and you will encounter the worst scum in the universe and they will be wearing business-suits. It is utterly soul-destroying. FACT.

1 decade ago

I'd like to say I own it and I love it. You should love it too. you guys are all just pissed your games don't have like 2k of dlc, you feel secretly neglected.

1 decade ago

When I look at this game and all it's DLCs... I just really hope that next Football Manager wont be like this. To imagine FM2013 to be one playable league when you buy it, then there'll be 50+ DLCs containing other leagues. uggh. the horror, o0

1 decade ago

Ok, serious question to ONLY those who have it and played it and can give an unbiased answer. Is this game worth buying?

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

It's a great sim if you want to drive trains.

Don't sweat the DLC - most people only buy the routes/engines/scenarios they are interested in. The main game comes with plenty of content, there is free fan made content, and you can create your own routes & scenarios.

The DLC is expensive, because it is a niche product. But it goes on sale 50% off at least twice a year, and you get updates to the main game for free (i.e. people who bought Railworks2 got upgrade to Railworks3 for free.)

1 decade ago

It doesn't end with the DLCs available on Steam, there's also tons of DLCs from 3rd party developers and user generated content downloadable from Railworks community websites around the www.

Quotes from the Steam forums:
"Yes the DLC is worth it. But only if you buy the specific DLC YOU are interested in. And that's the point with simulators. You just buy the bits you want. If you're fan of Steam trains, you'd obviously buy that type of DLC. If you're more interested in diesel/electric, you'd buy those. Same is true with regards to passenger services or freight services."

"The game doesn't require you to purchase any DLC to enjoy. Compare it to having an actual model railroad in your spare bedroom, and you go to the hobby store and see 1,000 different upgrade kits: new stock, new tracks, new scenery, etc. You don't need to purchase the entire store to enjoy your favorite layout(s). The base game has plenty to keep you busy for hundreds of hours."

I say: If you're looking for an actual game including trains, buy Railroad Tycoon instead.

1 decade ago

I'm glad there are a few people who actually get it :)

1 decade ago

if your are overwhelmed by the price.. go pirate!! lolz thats the last option you might consider :D

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by 594rk.