I just watched it, it was fun and all, but the end...

Horrid. Even the police was helpless... "There's a mob of 300 cars waiting for you".

Anyone else seen it?

What did you think of it?

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Edit: The guys at Top Gear may have made an honest mistake. However, the following is still true.

Top Gear has a "reputation" for pissing off other countries. Remember one of the American specials? Those guys almost got killed for writing pro-gay and pro-Democrat slogans on their cars. Y'all don't mess wif Southerners.

That said the Argentines are partly at fault for starting the war in the first place. Too much nationalism can't possibly be a good thing, and the same could be said for most countries.

9 years ago

The American thing was intended.

But even the workers at BBC who bought the cars said it was a coincidence and their own stupidity for searching trouble from number plates. There's an article out there where they explain their work. Even the producers said so.

9 years ago

IIRC only Clarksons license plate happened to be a reference to the Falklands War.
This article clears things up a bit.

9 years ago

"Remember one of the American specials? Those guys almost got killed for writing pro-gay and pro-Democrat slogans on their cars. Y'all don't mess wif Southerners."
You're not seriously suggesting hat makes it all right to attack them, are you? Even if it was intended, the fact that violence ensued because of a numberplate just shows how backwards and stupid these argentinians were.

9 years ago

Not trying to defend the Argentines, starting a fight over this and asserting their rights over the Falklands is just pure stupidity. As a faithful Top Gear viewer, I will give them the benefit of doubt since it is probably unintentional. However as I have said, Top Gear is known for its antics, which may give people the wrong impression.

As for the Southerners thing, I was actually trying to make fun of the Southerners but you didn't seem to get it...

9 years ago

And they had a bike playing "Born in the USA" during their trip to Vietnam.

They did something silly, and got in trouble, luckyly nobody got hurt, just clarckson beeing clackson.

9 years ago

That!! I always thought that for the bike they might get in trouble. I think they also made something with a train in India. They wrote some slogans but can't remember what was on them.

9 years ago

When I first read about what happened during filming my first reaction was: "Well, they overdid some stupid joke!". That is because from all series and specials that have seen I expect them to make some stupid joke that would piss of a lot of people. That is kinda their thing. After I read their explanation to what had happened and how they go on and find cars and everything I was a bit - oh, ok. maybe it wasn't their fault. But still after what has happened I don't believe that they would openly go and say - yeah, we did that on purpose just for the giggles.

All in all it was a great special and want to see more of them soon. They will go with series 22 some time this year. Still was hoping to see the car football :(

9 years ago

"Still was hoping to see the car football :("

Season Six, Episode One - Toyota Aygos review.

Season Eight, Episode Five - Volkswagen Fox review (match of Fox vs Aygos).

You're welcome ;)

9 years ago

I know of those matches perfectly. I didn't want to watch it because of never seen anything like that but on the contrary, because I want to see more of that. And see what would they do to their cars and all the mayhem :D Plus the trophy.

9 years ago

i thought it mostly sucked apart from the ending - that was pretty gripping stuff... but lets face it, top gear is past its prime, their recent specials are nothing compared to their best stuff.

9 years ago

I wouldn't say so - last year (finding source of River Nile) was epic imho. Yet I can agree that apart from the ending (that was simply horryfying) Patagonia special sucked - but keep in mind they had to flee the area and abandon their cars - in normal circumstances even after arriving, playing football match etc, they could still shoot additional scenes later on and edit them into special itself - here they have no way of getting any additional footage, as cars were already lost.

9 years ago

yes the nile one was OK.. certainly better than the truck one last season, but they're a far far cry from the likes of bolivia and botswana...

9 years ago

apparently clarkson, may, and hammond all got outta there by plane, and only the crew was in danger during the last segment (unconfirmed, but this is what one of the argentines who was on the ground said on a radio program). it was pretty crazy even for top gear standards.

i will give the top gear team the benefit of the doubt as they have flat-out denied intent, but even i questioned this license plate "coincidence" as i watched the special.

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.