Trying to take the hard drive out of my Zyxel NSA310 so I can upgrade it, but it's stuck lol wtf.

Any advice short of taking a hammer to it?

Edit #1: The drive it stuck in the SATA/power slots, not wedged in the housing.

Edit #2: SOLVED - Thanks to pepperammi

Oh yeah, here's the link to a giveaway before anyone starts moaning about no hidden giveaways :P

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

Exists in your account.

i see two things on the top, do you have to lift those?

1 decade ago

No, but I did unscrew the whole thing from the black housing. However, it's too delicate to apply any real force without breaking something off.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

I think the slots are made of plastic, but I'll bear that in mind.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

While I am not familiar with that drive, it looks to be stuck by the cables. There is a chance the cable uses a pressure clip rather than just push in. If it is a pressure clip, you will risk damaging the connector on the drive unless you press the release for it.

1 decade ago

That had occurred to me, but I don't think the back is meant to be taken off. In the second image above, the drive once installed only pokes out by 10mm or so. This "should" give enough grip to pull it out the slots, but mine is stuck fast.

1 decade ago

Already have the game, but from what i remember, theres a tool thing attached to the back of the front panel which you connect to the rails to pull them along? It's been a long time since I did one of these.

1 decade ago

Don't put it in the freezer(you could get moisture damage if your freezer is from the 90's, or when you pull it out and water starts condensing on the PCB), don't heat one part hoping to expand it thermally. Stick it back in, read the manual again and try with a calm mind. Frustration makes things worse, don't worry, try again till it comes out.

Another approach is to take out all screws on the device(not the HDD) till you can easily get hold of the connectors.

1 decade ago

Found this;
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/zyxel-nsa310-2tb-1-x-2tb-nas-drive-ebuyer-109-98-1071924

post #10;
"Worth noting the instructions that come with this NAS do explain how you can install an HDD of your own (you can buy the nas without an hdd), I figured I could follow these instructions in reverse to remove the drive but that's not the case. You have to unscrew every visible screw on the chasis (from the front and back, talking about 10 in total) so that you can get at one internal screw that would otherwise prevent the drive being removed from it's housing. It's not complicated though, 10 minutes work tops."

1 decade ago

Good find, but the original hard drive was not pre-installed. I slotted it in, but now it doesn't slot out :(

1 decade ago

Darn. Wiggling/trying shimmy it no help?

1 decade ago

WE HAVE A WINNER

No, not wiggling it. I tried looking for a rogue screw and found one! This was wedged against the side of the drive making it impossible to remove. Once I took it out the drive slid out!!!!

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by orangepiranha.