https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/IC7uJ/reflection-of-mine

Day 4 End
Finally to the good stuff: dinner! We checked in to Okuiya Ryokan in late afternoon. We were the only guests, so we got the onsen all to ourselves. It's kind of sad and small though. I was not impressed. The good thing was the view from the room. The ryokan is situated basically on the side of a cliff right next tot he river. Very pretty.

Dinner was nabe with fish from the river outside, tofu, iya potato, green onion, homemade konnyaku, onion, mushrooms picked from outside, all in a sweet miso based broth. The extra food we couldn't fit in the pot in round one.

Other dishes:
Another grilled river fish - these things are an absolute pain to eat! So many small bones!
Mustard greens
Soba with mihama mushrooms
Deer meat croquette and katsu
Various vegetables
Asian pear for dessert

And the entire setting. This was an absolutely ridiculous amount of food....

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

That nabe looks delicious, small fishes are indeed a huge pain to eat I always preferred salt water fishes. My wish to be able to visit Japan someday, ryokans in particular sound like wonderful places to stay.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

In consideration of "foreign guests", the ryokan may give priority to "private bath" rather than "big bath".
This time it is a private bath.
If you do not mind the nakedness of others, it's better to head to the public bath.

「ひらら焼き(hirara yaki)」
https://colocal.jp/topics/food-japan/beerspot/20160730_76658.html
"local cuisine"Baked fish dish using flat rock.
By using rocks, it seems that the bones also become soft.

Well ... if you like fish dishes it will be delicious.
I am a bit weak for miso taste fish dishes. :p

5 years ago

I don't think there are any sento in that area. It's super remote!

5 years ago

When searching by the name of the inn, we confirmed the presence of a public bath.
For some reason, the public bathhouse could not be used. Perhaps.

旅の宿 奥祖谷
I think that it was an inn with features of rock bath made from the local blue stone.
There is an image of "rock bath" at the bottom of the page.

5 years ago

I guess we got scammed! Maybe that one is only for higher paying customers. I picked the cheapest option :(

5 years ago

Well? In the case of an inn, the public bath side is for general use.
(depends on place.)
Foreign guests may be provided with "Private Room Bath" because of religious reasons "I do not want others to see nakedness".

Is it okay if you see nakedness by others?
"Is there a public bath?"(Dai yokujō wa, arimasu ka?)
"Where is the place?"(Basho wa doko?)
"What time will you put in?"(Nanji ni iremasu ka?)

"男湯(♂)" "女湯(♀)"
If you enter the wrong place, you are arrested. Be sure to check it.
Notes:
How to Enjoy ONSEN (温泉の正しい入り方)
日本の温泉マナー Japanese ONSEN Manners - YouTube

5 years ago*

You have my attention when you said deer meat, aka venison, croquettes..

5 years ago

I avoid river fishes like plague precisely because they have too many bones. The rest looks really palatable.

5 years ago

The Onsen looks cute and funny. I rather just have a shower tbh. Japanese spends so much time and effort preparing their meals its almost "painful' to eat them.

Your entire setting picture reminds me of a standard meal for a Japanese. This is debatable but my impression is the setting looks great as always but its not that filling. I thought they have mayonnaise for the pork chop; looks a bit dry. I like the setting for Korean food too, well from shows though they usually have a lot of marinated food as side dishes. French cuisine from my impression is exquisite and refine, very expensive so I haven't have the opportunity to try but not filling too. Chinese, at least from where I live have larger plates of dishes for cuisines, although they can make an exquisite setting but mainly they present in dishes which is much more for sharing imo.

I really like settings for meals. From young my mum would cook 1 soup and several dishes to go for dinner. Nowadays, as she is older and only 3 in the household now, I prefer to eat more healthy food and lesser variety. Although its always great to see lots of different dishes on the table but its never the kind of setting the Japanese, Koreans and the French have. Maybe since you've ate so many different cuisines, you can enlighten me more on the subject. :D
Cheers, Cruse~

5 years ago

We actually ended up with a lot of leftovers. The setting might not look like that much, but combined with the nabe, it was a ton of food.

5 years ago

Indeed, without the nabe/hotpot its much like a common meal for a single person which I feel may not be enough for most guys. XD
Cheers~

5 years ago

can we join you please???!!!

5 years ago

Have a BUMP, Jatan ^__^

5 years ago

The mushrooms in the nabe dish are beautiful!

5 years ago

Bump.

5 years ago

The picture makes those mushrooms look like they would have a weird texture.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.