I'm planning to get my first pc (very excited as my gaming history was only PSX and 2014 cheap laptop).Here's my rough partpick :

Intel Core i5 - 10400f + Deepcool Ice Edge
Zotac GTX 1660 Super AMP
Asrock B460M Pro 4 / MSI B460M Bazooka
Klevv Bolt 2x8GB 3200Mhz
SSD Adata XS8200 512gb nvme
PSU Seasonic S12iii 650 80+ Bronze
Casing Aigo Darkflash dlm21 mesh

Planning to use the PC for learning photo and video editing, find basic remote/freelance job, and gaming of course.

Please give any suggestions and improvement about that build. I read somewhere it is better go with Ryzen if I can't afford z series motherboard, but also read Intel+Nvidia are better if I also use that for editing.

Short backstory, I'm saving for this PC since 2018. on 2018-2019 I can save $100/year from work and $100/year from trading bundle.(I know you guys detest trading bundle games, but In my position those little extra money give food on table and extra boost toward my dream to have my first PC, so I'm okay with incoming BL). But on 2020 I got banned so I can't trade many games anymore, thanks God I won $200 doorprize so I can reach $700. If things go well in mid 2021 I'll reach $800, buying and assembling my first PC, beside for gaming, I hope it can give me new way to make money and learn new skillset.

Thanks before for all suggestions, if Im not replying it means I acknowledge your comment and no further question, not ignoring.

TLDR :
Stay
Healthy
Y'all

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

If you cannot buy before mid 2021 this part list will change anyway. New midrange GPU are just around the corner and maybe better $150 budget CPU will be avaible.

3 years ago

As everyone mentioned already I would prefer ryzen3600 (and I did), especially for work, but if it costs more, intel is a ok choice.
I would recommend upgrading 1660, I think it's too weak to buy as a "new" card.
maybe Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 is a slightly better choice, everything else is fine by me.

3 years ago*

Bump!

3 years ago

With your budget, I'd recommend waiting until you have all the cash in hand you're willing to spend then buy. The landscape will likely be fairly different here in a few months. Holiday sales have happened for the most part, and it's unlikely you can wait on a core piece and do what you want with the system. (I also very much don't recommend running it without a case)

The new AMD budget CPUs will likely be out in the first half of next year. These will either be a great purchase or further push prices on older hardware down. The midline GPUs of the most recent generation may also be out at that time.

Country pricing makes specific recommendations rough. Some countries have easier access to certain generations of parts. https://www.logicalincrements.com/ does a decent job of trying to accommodate for regional pricing. I don't always make the same picks as they do, but I rarely think their recommendation is bad. It's a good first swag to compare to.

If you're willing to buy used, you may try looking into second hand systems. With many people getting new hardware, you might just snag a great deal.

That said, you might also want to pay attention to power consumption and performance/watt. If you're financially constrained, picking up older parts that are more power hungry may end up costing you more in as little as a year. This is extra true if you plan on playing with cryptocurrency or are rendering overnight projects several days a week.

Finally, don't forget to budget for the small things. A good keyboard, mouse, & mousing surface go a long way toward enjoying your purchase. A quality monitor is /worth/ the investment that will often last 2-3 computer builds. This is doubly important if you're doing photo or print work. You don't need a high grade reference monitor, just one that has decent color calibration out of the box! I recommend rtings.com as a starting point for research.

(p.s. I don't know what Apple prices & support are like where you are, but the new M1 chips are crazy good for the price. They're no high end gaming rig, but a solid all around workhorse. Depending on your gaming preferences and willingness to learn/run MacOS, a Mac Mini might be a unconventional recommendation that might surprise you.)

3 years ago

Bump!

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.