I'm planning to get my first pc (very excited as my gaming history was only PSX and 2014 cheap laptop).Here's my rough partpick :

Intel Core i5 - 10400f + Deepcool Ice Edge
Zotac GTX 1660 Super AMP
Asrock B460M Pro 4 / MSI B460M Bazooka
Klevv Bolt 2x8GB 3200Mhz
SSD Adata XS8200 512gb nvme
PSU Seasonic S12iii 650 80+ Bronze
Casing Aigo Darkflash dlm21 mesh

Planning to use the PC for learning photo and video editing, find basic remote/freelance job, and gaming of course.

Please give any suggestions and improvement about that build. I read somewhere it is better go with Ryzen if I can't afford z series motherboard, but also read Intel+Nvidia are better if I also use that for editing.

Short backstory, I'm saving for this PC since 2018. on 2018-2019 I can save $100/year from work and $100/year from trading bundle.(I know you guys detest trading bundle games, but In my position those little extra money give food on table and extra boost toward my dream to have my first PC, so I'm okay with incoming BL). But on 2020 I got banned so I can't trade many games anymore, thanks God I won $200 doorprize so I can reach $700. If things go well in mid 2021 I'll reach $800, buying and assembling my first PC, beside for gaming, I hope it can give me new way to make money and learn new skillset.

Thanks before for all suggestions, if Im not replying it means I acknowledge your comment and no further question, not ignoring.

TLDR :
Stay
Healthy
Y'all

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Reserved just cause

3 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks for the GAs :)

3 years ago

Its a bad choice to go Intel now, replace your stuff with B450mobo (MSI B450 GAMING PLUS for example)+ 3600x OR newer b550 + 5600x and you are good to go. Also adata ssd can be Western Digital SN550.

3 years ago

why it is bad? the mobo cost are same, while i5 10400f cost $155, 3600x cost $277. that is almost 1 year saving for me :(

3 years ago

Depending where you live, here you get one for 150-180. Would help if you specify where you plan to buy stuff.

Also random video for reference https://youtu.be/3Sx6i58W5nI?t=508

3 years ago*

go for a cheap B450 Mobo and a R5 3600 its cheap and you are good for the future and take a AMD R9 or Vega Card, saves you also some bucks.

3 years ago

i5 10400f cost $155, and r5 3600 cost $220 in my country

3 years ago

okay, sry i am not familiar with all prices...i recently joined the RTX 3080 club. :)) But i still think on the long run a Ryzen is better. Later you just need to swap the GPU when you need better performance.

3 years ago

Damn that bad boy price are way beyond my 3 years saving for full pc budget. Enjoy the beast matee

3 years ago

View attached image.
3 years ago

might want to upgrade the CPU for the Editing performance, AMD has the edge now but could be out of stock or overpriced
also AMD Stock cooler works just fine
and depending on how big of an edit you want to work on the RAM could be expanded when the budget allows
no idea about the RAM manufacture so make sure it has good reviews/warranty

great build for 1080p gaming though
i would look for used CPU/MoB to save some cash
best of luck

3 years ago

You can only use up to 2666MHz RAM with the motherboards of your choice and i5. You won't be getting any benefits from 3200Mhz RAM with current setup.
Otherwise looks decent and pretty similar to what I got myself last month.

3 years ago

I choose that because some people advice me to go for 3200 to keep the used price high when I want to upgrade, and the price different only $5

3 years ago

When you decide to upgrade you will probably upgrade everything including RAM.

3 years ago

That's exactly why that advice was given. Higher speed will hold it's resale price better allowing for more money towards the replacement/upgrade.

3 years ago

In that case they will probably be upgrading to 2x16 instead.

3 years ago

I am not trying to say "go somewhere else" but I think r/pcmasterrace is the best place for this. I personally using a Laptop for a long time as well so I can't say I know about that stuff :/

3 years ago

I'll take a look at that, thanks. My country banned Reddit, so I need to use vpn everytime I need to pen reddit, hence making me rarely use reddit

3 years ago

My country banned Reddit

That's annoying, but it is definitely one of the best places out there to ask this stuff.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

3 years ago

Total overkill on processor for gaming only, you pay for just way more power consumption.

Best for gaming is still 8700k.

3 years ago

But for learning editing photo/video. and maybe find some freelance job that can be done from home. is it still overkill?

3 years ago

No it is not, depending on what you edit then you need cpu/ram, but still the power consumption is not just slightly smaller, depending on where you live it can be a lot or not, i can't say much about this particular intel as i don't know, a slightly cheaper one might just be enough as well, 9000 series be enough too i think.
Also the maybe part and saying you are learning, you are hoping to get a job, which means it 's by far not certain at all, just that you know you don't just learn this stuff in a short time to get work out of it with zero to no experience.

This you might wanna use as a ram reference, again depending on what you do, you might want 32GB:
8GB of RAM: Only if you are editing smaller than 1080p projects and are ok with closing down other Programs that are using up lots of your RAM in the background.
16GB of RAM: Good for editing 1080p – 4K 8bit Projects, with minor usage of background Programs
32GB of RAM: Good for any type of editing with heavy use of background hogs, such as editing large images in Photoshop.
64GB or more: This is recommended if you are editing 8K footage in 10bit or more and rely heavily on having several RAM-hogging Programs open at once such as After Effects or Cinema 4D.

3 years ago*

That doesn't even make sense, 10400f is pretty much the same thing as non-OC'ed 8700k, while not being 3+ years old platform.

3 years ago

I somehow thought all 10000+ 's were better (as i said i never even heard of this one), their nummering really kinda sucks, then okay coffee lake is atleast a bare minimum i'd say, maybe 9000 range, 10k is overkill.
I only know my own experience that when i was put to the choice 2-3 years ago for getting a 8700k or something higher, it didn't seemed to add any value to me for gaming atleast (only thing i use it for), and i still don't see it in intel's higher cpu's, just higher power consumption.
Op needs to tell what he plans to edit/photoshop, how much etc etc,that really does also factor in what is worth it or not, if he does 1 movie a week or 10, 1080p vs 4k big differences and we all now basically make assumptions.

If they don't got it right and properly tested, then i don't know what will, op can compare it to whatever desire what is still worth it to him or not. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-10400F/3937vs4079
For something 3 years old it still holds up pretty well i say.

As to if Ryzen is better (cheaper yes), maybe, but i am not jumping on that train, if op wants to insist on intel/nvidia then he needs a good advice there too.

3 years ago*

It doesn't mean that i7 8700k is outdated, its "specifications" simply moved into mainstream. There wasn't that much of improvement in terms of IPC for Intel in past few generations, but quite a big jump in core count (in general). That doesn't matter much for gaming, as games are chronically inefficient multithreaded workload. For workstation purposes, you won't see much difference on 6 core vs 8+ core CPU until you get to the multithread effective tasks and then it means you "just" save time and bit of energy bill, and time makes money only if you're able to turn that saved time into work time.

3 years ago

the 8700k costs more than the 10400f while using more power , not sure where the more power consumption is coming from

3 years ago

As i said my misconception about all 10000's being the same, however the "real" 10000 do.

3 years ago

Since you are not buying it immediately, keep an eye out for Ryzen 3600, since the new gen got released recently, the price might be going down soon (though right now it's gouged up due to high demand). Paired with some cheapo b450 it should give you a better performance in application use (editing) while having similar or better performance in gaming as the i5 (though both are probably gonna be held back a bit by the GPU).

Also keep an eye out for new GPUs, in first or second quarter of next year, there should hopefully be new generation options of mainstream GPUs coming out from both AMD and nVidia, so either you will be able to save some extra cash on last gen, or get much better performance for same money since the jump in next generation was quite high.

E: You might also want to scale the PSU down to 550 to save a few bucks when you are this budget constrained. While for a future upgrade of GPU 650W would be more on the safer side, 550 should do unless you will be going for high end of the sort of 3080 or 6800XT.

3 years ago*

Not sure if you already know about this but I'll drop it here anyway: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Is pretty useful for checking compatibility and price during a build. Hope it helps :)

3 years ago

Speaking as an Intel owner, you should be going Ryzen. Much better performance per dollar/watt at the moment.

3 years ago

I was an "Intel is the way to go!" guy, but my girlfriend convinced me otherwise. How? By buying me a brand new gaming rig (Ryzen 7) for Christmas! The specs boggle my mind (We just need to find a 3060 card now.)!!

I hope you had a nice Christmas, Tzaar. Happy New Year!

3 years ago

Don't buy 10th gen Intel. Get new Ryzen cpu 5000 series. I am Intel fanboy and I would still get the Ryzen.
Or get 3600 Ryzen and Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING and upgrade later to 5000 Ryzen.
For RAM go with Corsair/Kingston/Crucial/G.Skill, 16gb is enough
For SSD go with 1tb 860 EVO, best there is
550w PSU is enough, if you want to upgrade GPU get 750w or 850w. I use Fractal Design Integra M, runs great.
For GPU get Geforce 16 series any card, EVGA brand.
For case look reviews and get one with good airflow. Check Gamersnexus for good reviews of cases.

Don't overclock and the stock cooler will be enough.

3 years ago

OP has a budget of $800 and you suggest a Ryzen 5000... yeah sure...
3600 is much more expensive than comparable Intels nowadays as well.

I'm an AMD fanboy, been using their cpus for 8 years but switched to Intel last month. Saved like, $120 on a cpu alone.

3 years ago

The only thing I can say is that 512 GB storage is really not enough. Consider going with cheaper, but bigger SSD, or add a HDD.
Also CPU is a bit overkill for such system. so you might want to consider an older one.
And thanks for the gibs!

3 years ago

As nany people suggest, I'd also recommend an AMD cpu/mobo. They give you the best vfm and also make all mobos compatible with Ryzen cpus through bios updates. In case you'll need to update you won't have to buy a new mobo as well. Also, judging by my personal experience, I'd also recommend at least 1TB of storage. Better get a 2.5" SSD 1TB than 500GB M.2 (i did that and looking to buy a SSD roght now, also, the speed is not THAT noticeable.

Another thing is to really search your mobo before buying. If for example you want to add A-RGB, or if you'll need many fans you'll need fan headers as well etc. I also did not research good enough so i had some hard times (it was my first build tbh)

Hope my two cents will help you :)

3 years ago

I don't detest trading bundle games.Good luck with your first PC.

3 years ago

may i ask where you're from? do you plan on upgrading later? and which retailer you have there? 10400f or 3600 are basically the same performance wise. if you don't plan on tweaking or overclocking b460 is fine ... i personally prefer amd's b550 boards. i'd take a tad beefier cooler. with b460 you will be limited with a ramspeed of 2666 mhz, so every 2666/2933/3000/3200 ram kit should be alright. look on tighter ram timing if it cost the same ... my go to for ram is gskill, corsair, crucial and teamgroup. ssd is alright, beware that there are more variants of this ssd that perform different. may also look up how much a samsung 970 evo or a western digital black sn750 costs. psu is more than enough ... a friend of mine has a 3900x with a 2080 super on a 650W seasonic focus gx and the gpu and cpu could pull 400W alone. case seems alright ... a big downside is, that this case has no fans ... so buy atleast 2 or three fans if you have some spare money, i'd say you could also look, how much the nr400, the p300a or the silverstone fara r1 costs.

3 years ago

Since you're limiting yourself to $800, definitely ditch Intel and go with AMD's Ryzen. They're back on top for the first time since their Athlon series.

I put together a PC much earlier this year, and I fully expected to go with an Intel i7 or i9 until I did a little bit of research. I bought the Ryzen 9 3900X, for a cheaper setup that outperforms Intel's offerings. Based on the Intel i5 CPU you're looking at, take a look at the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU. It's a little cheaper than the i5-10400F, but it also appears to be faster based on a very cursory look at benchmarks.

For the price range you're looking at, don't bother with a third-party CPU cooler. Save the money and just use the cooler that comes with the CPU. It'll perform just fine. Put that saved money towards a faster GPU, more RAM, a bigger SSD, or a faster CPU (e.g. the Ryzen 5 3600 that others recommend above is $30-40 more than the 1600. There's also a Ryzen 5 2600 that's about half way between the two, price-wise).

650W is overkill for the system you put together. You might want to look at a 500-600W power supply to save a few more dollars. My system is considerably more powerful than yours, and it's estimated to require less than 500W. I bought a 650W PSU for mine just in case, but when you're trying to build on a budget, you want to reduce those margins, and spend the money where it'll improve your performance!

I see someone else already mentioned PC Parts Picker. I definitely recommend using the site to keep track of parts you're considering.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

3 years ago*

As everyone else is saying, going Ryzen instead of Intel will give you better performance in the long run and better system longevity. Intel might seem the better deal right now, but you will have to upgrade a couple years before if you went for Ryzen. Right now is the worst time to build a PC.

My biggest advice would be:
Wait for PC components to be back in stock, prices will go down.
Wait for Ryzen 5 5600 (non-X) to release
Wait for B450/B550 chipsets to get better BIOS (it's a shitshow right now, some B450s/B550s work well with Ryzen 5000, many others have crashing issues or other problems)

If you can be patient and wait for Q1 2021 (around March should be more than enough time) releases and stock to come back, you should be able to get a way better PC overall for a lot less money. And if you wait until mid 2021, there will be some GPU refreshes coming probably, so maybe going for a RTX 3060 (non-Ti) instead of a GTX 1660 Super or so would be a better deal, as I don't think prices will be too different from each other (probably 10-20%) and performance should be about double of a 1660, so...

Also, don't overspend on NVMe drives. They're nice, but if you're struggling to get the money together to build the PC in the first place, going for a regular SATA SSD is good too. The difference in performance isn't huge as opposed to the difference in prices (Loading times in games and OS booting is mere seconds, literally no more than 10 secs in the absolute worst case scenario). Better spend that money on other components that will give you more performance in tasks and games.

And do get a nice case, don't overspend on it, just do some research about cheap but GOOD PC cases. Some recommendations I can give you are the Cooler Master NR600 and NZXT N510 (the one without RGB). They are good enough in their stock settiings, so no need to add fans and spend on them. MSRP is supposed to be like 60 USD, but in my country they're about 100 USD. They're still on the cheap end and give good cooling performance so your components don't start to throttle because of the temperatures.

I hope you can find good components and welcome to the PC building community! :)

TL;DR: Wait a couple of months before making your decision. Ryzen 5 5600 should be the best bet when it releases, by then, stock should've come back and prices should go down.

3 years ago

I think I'll do this, watch some benchmark video on youtube, and found out that Amd R5 3600 are the winner. i5 need expensive mobo to max it's potential. But Ryzen prices are crazy in my country, I still need 6 month to save the last $100 anyway, so hoping when the money ready the price are back to normal and good. as for the GPU I don't think my financial can afford to get RTX, but who knows right.

3 years ago

If you're gonna go with 1660S (and not a Zotac would be better probably), then you don't need 650W PSU. Look for lower, but a better one (not Bronze).

As for RAM, max will be 2600 for you, so might go for something cheaper instead of 3200 if that's available.

Check out r/buildapc – they have useful links, discord. And you can use pcpartpicker to check part compatibility of course.

3 years ago

That PC Build seems pretty good to me.
Anyways here are some actual numbers FPS for games that found on Youtube
i5 10400F vs Ryzen 5 3600:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge630T9CsC0

3 years ago

With the advice of other users, most of the errands will be sufficient.

Only the points I was interested in.
1.I am worried about security problems and performance degradation due to the vulnerability problem of the 10th generation of intel CPU in June.
(I feel that it is better to configure with Rezen)
2.Use for video editing? Of course you can work. Be prepared for some waiting time.
(If you can afford SSD and memory, you should increase it)
3.It will be more stable if the power supply has a capacity of about 100w.
(Given the recent behavior of Intel CPUs, there is concern about instability)

4.Due to the recent "world situation", there are signs that the price of semiconductors will rise.(It's about to be +20% higher.)
Shopping is quick.(The cause seems to be that the company that was selling semiconductors in China at a bargain price has collapsed.)

3 years ago

For photo and video editing, try to get something with a lot of cores. If you choose Ryzen, you can save some money on your cooler. The AMD stock cooler is pretty decent if you are not planning on doing an overclock.

3 years ago

i also want's to buy for myself
but using i7 and rtx 3070, everything else, spec wise is the same
more or less +$200-300 (my currency is different)

btw in my country, somehow amd prizes is more or less the same so, intel it is
and other is more pricier for amd.. sigh

3 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.