Without the flash and daily sales it looks like many of our worst fears have been realized. I log on and what do I find....most of the games I want are barely even discounted. Seriously a 10% discount on one of them??! Come on Valve! Steam sales are officially dead to me now.

Would also like to add a few thoughts I've been having on the subject for a while now. The daily/flash/community deals all ended because the refund policy would have created a huge refund mess. For some this was a good enough excuse to end the deals outright. But I've been thinking there were plenty of solutions that could have been implemented to keep those deals. For instance wouldn't it have been good enough to post alert notices under the games in your cart that are being considered for daily/community deals. Sure you'd lose the big element of surprise but if it's worth you'd at least still have the deals. The notice would state that buying the game anyway right now would void you of a refund or at least until after the daily/community deal had ended to stop refund influxes.

And on the people who claim the new system is great because they missed so many daily deals before because they were away. I just want to say that argument amounts too "Wow I missed that deep sale I'm just glad nobody can have them now if I can't." While I can understand the pain of missing a deep discount it's no reason to justify the current situation that affects everybody because of your current situation. But that's just how I see it's nothing concrete or against anybody.

Edit: Although it was badly worded I admit the option -"something mumbojumbo" also includes "The sale looks fine, "It's ok with me",... etc. I had actually forgotten to add the option when I first created the poll sorry about that.
Again let it be known 'Something mumbojumbo" = "The sale looks fine".

8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

What do you think of the sales?

View Results
It's just as bad as was predicted. Say goodbye to most games going as low as 75% etc.
Some mumbojumbo about how the sales will still be the same but just run longer
Gaben has forsaken us.
Well off to (insert alternative store here) I go.

1st day of sales...

8 years ago

All days are the same now. No more dailies or flash sales.

8 years ago

but there are 150 games on sale now.
better than waiting each day to have 10 during 2 weeks.

8 years ago

Lol, this kinda defeats their own Banner above the store page, "Thousands of games on sale"

I scroll down and see "149. That's right, 149 titles on sale across Steam

Blechh. Shoesss it is, this holidays

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

8 years ago

10002 on sale now. Patience.

8 years ago

That's just a glitch since the servers are overloaded.

8 years ago

So your problem is that you have the basic sales all the time instead of having basic sales and a chance to save even more?
That's very anti-consumer.

8 years ago

how is that my problem?

8 years ago

Well, I thought that you preferred these sales to the use of things like flash sales. My fault. :)
Since you could still buy all the things at the same prices as they're now, but once in a while you had the chance to save even more.
(And make more GAs ;D)

8 years ago

well, i kinda prefer these sales because every discount is visible since they started. :3

but it seems everyone else hates it.

8 years ago

Well, it's the idea that if you're vigilant, you could be rewarded for it. Otherwise you could still buy at the normal price like it's now.

8 years ago

Well, South Park game went on sale today and will last till 26.12, so there will be new deals.

8 years ago

% will not change. There's no flash nor daily deals. What you see now, you'll see until last day.

Well, AFTER store finally brings all prices...

8 years ago

I like the cute new avatar. :D

View attached image.
8 years ago

but it was supposed to be evil and serious :O

8 years ago

Who said that evil and serious can't be cute and sexy?

8 years ago

This may be weird, but here I will remind Grandia II. OK I better shut up.

8 years ago

I don't know what that is or why it might be weird-- but it seems to be some sort of animé game?

8 years ago

With a supposedly bad&mad character as partner on the team. Won't spoil more for those who have not played it. It's a wink for those who had. Somehow weird to consider the character as sexy and cute ^_-

8 years ago

It's just the 1st day dude, chill..

8 years ago

And since there is no daily deal or flash sale this time around, every single day is going to be the same as this one.

8 years ago

Till the 4th ? Come on people, don't be so pessimistic.

8 years ago

We have known for weeks that there would only be a flat sale with no daily or flash sales. And it's just what people expected.

8 years ago

Valve already confirmed that sales are going to be static throughout the sale in order to provide a "more consistent sale for everyone". That's not called being pessimistic, that's called what's happening.

8 years ago

Cool, less money for them.

8 years ago

So I should not wait for Pillars of Eternity to come to a daily sale then? :(

8 years ago

Won't happen if it's not already on sale.

8 years ago

You can wait and see if a better deal pops up on another site. That's pretty much the only excitement we can still hope for.

8 years ago

If you want PoE, set up an IsThereAnyDeal alert and pray that one of the resellers will have a price glitch.

8 years ago

I know Steam has it at 60% off at the moment, if you're happy to buy from GMG you can get it a bit cheaper, they have it for 60% off as well at the same price but then they have the 20% off coupon which will further discount it. Only a few dollars but it's still something.

8 years ago

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

8 years ago

Please mom, just five more minutes.

View attached image.
8 years ago

When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.

8 years ago

Do you just go around quoting Groundhog Day? If so, that is awesome!

View attached image.
8 years ago

View attached image.
8 years ago

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat.

8 years ago

You see the maximum available discount for all products now, since they have ditched daily/flash discounts.

8 years ago

10% ? You must be talking about a game that just got released, idk.

8 years ago

Yeah, probably brand new releases from November

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

8 years ago

They haven't changed. You're just spoiled >:P

8 years ago

Yes they have. There is no flash deals.

8 years ago

Nah, they've changed quite a bit.
No more flash/daily sales. No real "event" (look at a queue aka ads for other games to get cards). Boring sales that are no better than deal of the day/week we get all year.
Pretty much just a lifeless yawnfest of a sale.

8 years ago

The 'event' thing is the comic, that's what the sale is themed around...

8 years ago

They changed, there are no daily and flash deals anymore, no fun events. You're just ignorant.

8 years ago

The sales prices have not, though. They just give the best discount throughout the sale to keep refund requests down. As far as "fun events" goes, thats pretty subjective. I hated the clicker game.

8 years ago

OP was talking about steam sales in general and you were replying in the context of that. Anyway, you're wrong once again, They don't give the best discount, they give their usual discount for the entirety of the sale.

8 years ago

Did you seriously blacklist me because I don't think steam sales are trash?

8 years ago

No, aside your ignorant reply the main reason for blacklisting you was the fact that you insulted someone calling him spoiled only because he doesn't like the new direction Valve is taking with the steam sales.

8 years ago

By "spoiled" I meant we were all used to having our minds blown every season with amazing deals. They haven't changed that much with their sales but its not as mind-blowing as it used to be. To me it makes good sense not to do flash sales, what with the new refund system. You're not getting ripped off by them not making flash deals.

8 years ago

They could have just made it so that the games bought during the sale can't be refunded and give a warning indicating that when someone tries to buy a game. But instead they decided to remove flash and dailies altogether, which I don't think was a good move for them either as a lot of people used to buy flash/daily games just for the price even when they weren't all that interested in them.

8 years ago

We're both sounding reasonable to each other now, and I see your side as I hope you see mine. I hope you'll take me off your list as I've taken you off mine. I don't like to make enemies.

I think removing flash sales is fine, that way if someone can't be on their computer for a time they don't miss out on the best possible deal.

8 years ago

I prefer having daily/flash sales because my budget is very low.
You've been removed from my bl.

8 years ago

it is true tho, the world of PC has always been highly spoiled with steam sales lol, i could never buy a game at full price, even if i was rich i couldnt, and would never buy full price, i refuse to buy anything if its not at least 60% off

8 years ago

The sale price changed too. Check any game's Steam sale price history on any site that tracks them, and compare the sale to sales 2-4 years back. Even with the gradual price drop, you are most likely going to see better deals in the past than now.

8 years ago

"officially"

8 years ago

"Winter Sale"

8 years ago

I totally expected this would be the case.

However, the sales aren't fully up, check Steam in 2h and then judge the sales.

Also, 1st day of sales is irrelevant, because these same sales will be on for the whole duration of Winter sales, there are no more daily or flash sales.

8 years ago

g2a and kinguin the all year long sales stores - also their servers are always up :)

8 years ago

And their keys are always from dubious sources.

8 years ago

never had an issue with them.

8 years ago

Good for you. Not everyone has been that lucky, unfortunately.

8 years ago

"never had an issue" =/= "always fine 100% of the time"

8 years ago

this is so true. It's aslo the only store i have used which has a fee if you use paypal.
It even offers "buyers protection", you can't get more shade that that.

8 years ago

Yep. To round it off, the prices aren't always that great either.
I made the mistake of buying a game from them a week back, and after making a point of deselecting the 'shield', it automatically re-ticked itself in the payment intermission (and overlooked it), and lost £2 as a result, as well as having G2A set up a monthly subscription for their shield service. Thankfully I always file my digital receipts away into respective folders when I buy stuff, and noticed it came through as two email alerts and knew to cancel the recurring subscription immediately.

"My mistake" I thought, and decided to chalk it up as a loss due to my lack of extra scrutiny, despite having bought from them before.
But then I decided to look back in again at something else I wanted to buy, checking prices against the steam store. I thought that seeing as I made the mistake, I might as well make use of the one month of shield I bought by accident.

...and apparently I don't even have the month of shield.
At this point I can't even be bothered to strangle their support.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

8 years ago

but in steam you can make money spending absolutely nothing, tips ? nty i'm 2 busy now :>

8 years ago

The sale just started 30 minutes ago and half of the stuff isn't even working because of server load. Take a chill pill and wait and see how it turns out.

8 years ago

Definitely a good idea to make such a statement after half of hour since the sale started...

8 years ago

At least we are still alive.

8 years ago

Price drops seems consistent with the "regular" deals from previous sales. I think we can forget the 80% off deals we used to see in flash sales.

8 years ago

Where is the "I wish steam server's weren't so overloaded so i could start purchasing stuff" option?

8 years ago

The something mumbojumbo option is the catch all for I think it's fine, can't wait to buy sort of answers.

8 years ago

The only disappointment is that they STILL haven't figured out that the load is gonna be heavier when the sale starts... I mean I know they're running valvetime but even for them it must turn 2006 at some point.

8 years ago

Exactly. Their servers have fallen over in an overloaded death consistently every summer & winter sale for years now. You'd think they'd realized that their usual potato servers aren't going to cut it and they need to step it up during their big sales because people are going to hammer them.

8 years ago

I'm not sure if you are aware, but getting new servers, just for a couple of hours per year, is not cheap and probably not profitable for them. Do you really think they didn't think of it? Of course they are aware of the problems, but they can't just go ahead and buy more servers for just this small amount of time.

8 years ago

That's why you rent servers and don't buy them, every other online store does this during peaktimes and the only reason valve doesn't do it is because they know they can get away with it.

8 years ago

This^

8 years ago

Exactly. Why spend money when you don't need to?

8 years ago

Wouldn't you agree they'd get at least a small increase in sales if customers could access the store within the first hour of expecting to be able to?

8 years ago

I feel like most people have some amount they plan to spend. If it's too slow, they'll just come back later to buy.

8 years ago

people are so hyped and desperate that they would wait whatever is needed to check the steam store. a few hours of peak time is nothing.

8 years ago

Not everyone is psyched about every Steam sale. The casuals out there that are like "oh there's discounts.. I guess I might buy a thing or two". Not everyone is excited for the sales.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

Its good but it could be better

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

It's actually no big deal

8 years ago

You can actually access your wishlist? One of the lucky few...

8 years ago

You got your wishlist updated? I can't even log in. Lol!

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

i can't even check my wishlist lol

8 years ago

yeah, this poll is very one sided, the only option for not complaining about the sale is the "mumbojumbo" one

8 years ago

It's up there.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

Sorry about that I forgot to add it in when I made the poll (I was in a rush to get the thread out at the time). That's the closest thing to being positive about the sale as those 4 options get. Just substitute the mumbojumbo part for some positive responses.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

8 years ago

The prices aren't updated yet. Check in a few hours.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

8 years ago

Who cares?

8 years ago

GABEN!!

Duke Gaben: You Sir, are not one of my vassals... who are you?
Ash: Who wants to know?
Duke Gaben: I am Gaben the Red. Duke of Shale, Lord of the Northlands and leader of its peoples.
Ash: Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things, right now: Jack and shit... and Jack left town.

8 years ago

You can get up to -90% from what i've seen so far and that wasn't much. =D

8 years ago

8 years ago

Didn't want to disappoint Somebody has to do the dirty jobs.

8 years ago

poor girl

and youre a girl!

8 years ago

You don't even deserve a pat on the back, though, for if that fruit was hanging even a centimeter lower it would become a potato. The majority (or better the vocal minority?) is never satisfied, no matter what. :)

8 years ago

POTATO

8 years ago

Disappointingly shady too, Skyrim has gone from £10 to £20, just so it can be discounted by 75% to £5.

The days of Valve being a bit special really are long gone :(

8 years ago

Skyrim was never $10

8 years ago

Never said it was ;)

8 years ago

"Skyrim has gone from £10 to £20" you kinda did

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

And it's now $5 on Steam. Sales...

8 years ago

WHAT?

I thought you were full of crap, because in the US store Skyrim has been $20 since last April, so going down to $5 is 75% off.

But when it went down to $20 for US, it went down to £10 for UK! (You can change regions at the top of IsThereAnyDeal)

So, welcome to our normal price. Sorry that you've been getting such a better deal for more than a year.

8 years ago

I think the prices are not up to date because this sale is atrocious.

8 years ago

Oh god, the fountains in our city of gold that normally spray melted chocolate all year round didn't shower us with cakes and cookies during the holiday period. This is bad quality!

It's easy to lose scope for how good things are, when you get so accustomed to it.
Very few places ever manage to beat steam's sale prices, and when they do it's usually by a small margin. All you have to do is take a peek in at the humble store and you have the same effect as a longer-running flash-sale. :P

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.