Tour de France 2018

Also running: [60 Giveaways] The Mansion - an RPG adventure. & [Formula One] German Grand Prix.

How it works

Predict who is going to win each stage of the Tour.

• Leave your prediction for each stage on the giveaway (they all include maps and profiles and link to the official site).
  • Do not edit your predictions if you want to change but delete and create a new one.
  • Below is a table with all of them but you can just go the first one and use the "next stage" link.
  • We're not going to make it too easy so anyone who just spams the same rider for all stages will be disqualified.

Stages

Date Stage (Giveaway) Steam Game
Saturday, 7 July Noirmoutier-en-l'Île to Fontenay-le-Comte Dark Scavenger
Sunday, 8 July Mouilleron-Saint-Germain to La Roche-sur-Yon BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Monday, 9 July Cholet to Cholet Dinocide
Tuesday, 10 July La Baule to Sarzeau Two Digits
Wednesday, 11 July Lorient to Quimper BiT Evolution
Thursday, 12 July Brest to Mûr-de-Bretagne World of Goo
Friday, 13 July Fougères to Chartres Tower of Guns
Saturday, 14 July Dreux to Amiens Secrets of Rætikon
Sunday, 15 July Arras to Roubaix Kholat
Monday, 16 July Annecy Oozi: Earth Adventure
Tuesday, 17 July Annecy to Le Grand-Bornand The Bridge
Wednesday, 18 July Albertville to La Rosière Anomaly 2
Thursday, 19 July Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Alpe d'Huez Nuclear Throne
Friday, 20 July Le Bourg-d'Oisans to Valence Retro Game Crunch
Saturday, 21 July Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux to Mende Back to Bed
Sunday, 22 July Millau to Carcassonne Guacamelee! Complete
Monday, 23 July Carcassonne Saturday Morning RPG
Tuesday, 24 July Carcassonne to Bagnères-de-Luchon Botanicula
Wednesday, 25 July Bagnères-de-Luchon to Saint-Lary-Soulan (Col de Portet (fr)) Syder Arcade
Thursday, 26 July Trie-sur-Baïse to Pau Mushroom 11
Friday, 27 July Lourdes to Laruns Waking Mars
Saturday, 28 July Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle to Espelette A Virus Named TOM
Sunday, 29 July Houilles to Paris (Champs-Élysées) Girls Like Robots

This table/chart is RaChart™ compatible and was created with Giveaways Table/Chart Creator

Preview

This year has seen some changes as the ASO (the Tour organisers) look the shake things up and keep the viewers interested. We'll see cobbles, dirt roads, a formula one style start (stage 17), and more.

The most apparent change is that all teams are now starting with only 8 riders instead of 9. The riders have been clamoring for this change for a long time as it should make the flat stages a lot safer with fewer crashes. However, many are also saying this change was finally accepted in the hopes of hobbling Team Sky a little (though I doubt it will really work).

And there's this:

Last year there was some dissatisfaction about the progress of the flat stages. There was no battle for the early flight, the peloton always let the first attackers leave quietly. With boring competition hours as a result.

That is what the Tour organization wants to avoid this year. "We decided to introduce bonuses again during the stage", says course designer Thierry Gouvenou. "That will be a plus for the attackers."

"Those bonus prints will not necessarily be on flat roads, but they will be in strategic locations, the sprints will always be between 30 and 8 km from the line and 3, 2 and 1 seconds will be divided into the top 3."

"But from the 10th stage onwards, those bonus prints fall away, because then we cut the mountains", concludes Gouvenou. The bonuses should make the first Tour week extra attractive.

I can't see any GC riders taking risks to get these few seconds.

Sites
Official Site
Wikipedia
A better list of riders than the official site, with thanks to bartwu

General Classification (abbreviated as GC)
This is the one it's all about, who will bring the maillot jaune (yellow jersey) to Paris? It's going to be extremely tough this year; the first nine stages all have the potential to cause havoc for the GC riders before they've even seen a mountain. The field is also incredibly strong this year; apart from Fabio Aru and Thibaut Pinot, all the best riders in the world are here.

• There's been so much written about Chris Froome that I'm gonna keep it short for a change. He's allowed to start so he'll try and go for his record equaling fifth win. Is that possible after a hard fought Giro in May? We'll know in a few weeks. Fact is that he has the strongest team by far (you could easily swap out three riders and they'd be about as strong). Should he not be able to do it then Team Sky has Geraint Thomas (winner of Critérium du Dauphiné last month) waiting in the wings to be a surprise winner this year. Honestly though, don't bet against Froome...
  • Everyone is certain; the ASO designed this year's Tour stages for Romain Bardet to win the yellow. With Froome being tired from the Giro (at least in theory) this should be the year for the hope of France (also bolstered by the help of new teammate Tony Gallopin). The time trial on the penultimate day is going to be incredibly interesting; how will he handle last year's debacle? If he doesn't win this time then will he ever?
  • Movistar is bringing three possible winners according to most of the cycling press. Personally I don't think Alejandro Valverde is looking for a good GC qualification. But Mikel Landa and Nairo Quintana most certainly are. Landa was a very important lieutenant for Froome just last year and he knows how Team Sky operates. The big question is what Movistar is thinking and what their team orders are. Both of these men could be their leader but they could also use one to go for stage wins and tease out the other GC candidates. According to the Italian press Landa is already looking to leave Movistar again; if this is true then we could see this reflected in the Tour.
  • Richie Porte's string of bad luck continued to plague him last year when he had a horrible crash in the 9th stage; fracturing a collarbone and his pelvis. He's back this year though, winning the Tour de Suisse and having just become a father. Can BMC support him enough in the mountains? He has Damiano Caruso and Tejay van Garderen.
  • Last year Rigoberto Urán surprised a lot of people with his second place in the GC. You'd think more people would expect him to do well this year but no one is seeing him as a potential winner this year. Hopefully for him, Pierre Rolland and Daniel Moreno will be there for (moral) support.
  • The Shark of Messina, Vincenzo Nibali, is taking another shot at becoming a multiple winner of the Tour de France; his first victory was in 2014. He won La Primavera this year but nothing else, though he did skip the Giro specifically to focus on the Tour. He's 33, so age-wise he could certainly still do it but can Bahrain-Merida support him enough in a grand tour?
  • While I would so love to see Tom Dumoulin win this year, it doesn't seem likely. This is the first time he's attempted two grand tours so close together and he had to go really deep in the Giro. And there's not that many time trial kilometres. What also doesn't help is that Wilco Kelderman injured his shoulder once again and won't be there to help him. The bright side is that my favourite rider of all time, Laurens Ten Dam, was called up to be his replacement.
  • Simon Yates was incredibly impressive in the first weeks of this year's Giro. Now Team Mitchelton-Scott are bringing Adam Yates for this year's Tour; can he do as well (or better) as his twin brother? He was fourth in 2016. The team left Caleb Ewan home just to focus completely on the GC this year.
  • Daniel Martin was sixth last year (with fractured vertebrae after stage 9, no less!); it'll be hard enough for him to do that again this year.
  • Last year Bauke Mollema was lieutenant for Alberto Contador in his very last Tour. This year Bauke is the captain once again. He's always been the nearly man, could he make it to the podium? I'd love to see it but the competition is incredibly tough this year.
  • Team LottoNL-Jumbo are bringing four horses to bet on this year and that might be too much, even more so with only 8 riders this year. Steven Kruijswijk is the nominal GC rider with Robert Gesink either there to support him or go for mountain stage wins. Dylan Groenewegen is there to win sprints. And then we have Primoz Roglic... He really showed his potential last year and he might just be a GC surprise this year.
  • I'm running out of time but should also mention Jakob Fuglsang, Bob Jungels, and Ilnur Zakarin as GC contenders.

King of the Mountain (often abbreviated as KoM)
The maillot a pois (polka dot jersey) goes to the best climber; who will it be this year? Obviously the GC riders will all feature in this classification but there are some others... Double points are up for grabs for the final climb in the three Pyrenean stages: the Cat.1 Col du Portillon, the HC Col du Portet and the HC Col d'Aubisque.

• Last year Rafal Majka crashed out of the Tour in stage 9. He won the KoM in 2016 and 2014 and has three mountain stage victories so far. I'm hoping for more. He has said that this year he wants to focus on a good GC ranking; a big mistake, in my view.
  • Warren Barguil won the jersey last year but the headstrong Frenchman left the Team Sunweb collective to go to the Fortuneo-Samsic Pro-Continental team. You could definitely consider this a step down but here he's the head honcho and he'll have only one focus; winning mountain stages.
  • With Movistar's two GC contenders doing their thing, would that leave enough room for Alejandro Valverde to gather the points he needs?
  • Mikel Landa could also see this as a consolidation prize if his GC dreams go up in smoke.
  • It's going to be very interesting to see what Primoz Roglic will do this tour; it's not impossible he'll end up as the KoM (he ended up second last year).
  • The ever attacking Thomas De Gendt was third last year. His team doesn't have anyone for the GC and he can do his thing all Tour long.
  • Omar Fraile could go for it but it depends on how Jakob Fuglsang feels about the GC.
  • The same problem faces Jarlinson Pantano; will Bauke Mollema want him near at all times?
  • Lilian Calmejane is a rider who might be targeting the polka dot jersey this year.

Sprinters
Going by last year there's only one favorite but we might be in for something more interesting.

• After winning every bunch sprint he contested at last year's Tour de France, Marcel Kittel should go into the 2018 edition – one with even more opportunities for the fast men – as the top dog, the man to beat. Yet everything seems far more uncertain since he swapped the blue of Quick-Step for the red of Katusha-Alpecin. The German has only won two races all year, both at Tirreno-Adriatico in March. By this point last year he had won eight times, and nine times the year before.
  • After winning four stages of last year's Giro d'Italia on his Grand Tour debut, Quick-Step wasted no time in making Fernando Gaviria their number one man for the Tour. They are missing one man from their lead-out train, but will that stop him?
  • Peter Sagan's Tour de France last year went quite differently than both he and I imagined. He's back with something to prove. The big question is if he wants to even mix it up in the bunch sprints this year; he did beat Gaviria recently. There seem to be only two other stages with his name on it. Still, there's no doubt he'll be wearing the green jersey if he makes it to Paris, equalling Erik Zabel's record.
  • With his victory on the Champs-Élysées last year, Dylan Groenewegen showed the world he is ready for the grand tours. He's won nine stages this season, so far; will he add any in the Tour?
  • Last year was pretty terrible for Mark Cavendish; mostly crashes (including in the Tour) and illness. But two years ago he won four stages in the Tour while most had already written him off. He's back this year and has now publicly acknowledged that he would like to equal or better Eddy Merckx's record of 34 Tour victories (the 'Manx Missile' has 30 right now).
  • Groupama-FDJ are betting everything on Arnaud Démare this year. He has a well oiled lead-out train and proved last year that he can do it.
  • Michael Matthews won the green jersey last year after Sagan went out. This year his team will be focusing a lot more on the GC and he can't really compete with the big guns on the flat finishes. He is the most likely candidate to bring home the green after Sagan.
  • It's been quite a while since we've seen impressive Sonny Colbrelli wins; can he come back?
  • André Greipel did not win a Tour stage last year after winning at least one stage in every Tour de France since 2011. Has his time come and gone?
  • Ever since his terrible training accident it has been very hard for John Degenkolb to return to his past form; I really feel for him.

Feel free to leave your predictions for jersey winners and other speculations in the comments below.

Man of the Tour

I said it last year, and I was right, but for the wrong reasons... Peter Sagan will be the man of the Tour. If he has the legs to beat Gaviria and Kittel then he could potentially win ten stages but that would be silly. Still, he's still the Man of the Tour, here's hoping he'll make it to Paris!

Tour Trivia

Sylvain Chavanel will be starting his 18th Tour de France this year. Last year he equaled the record of Jens Voigt and Stuart O'Grady and now he will be the sole record holder.

Adam Hansen rode 20 consecutive grand tours; an amazing record that came to an end at the Giro a few months ago. He started his run with the Vuelta in 2011 but he won't be appearing in the Tour de France this year.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Bump! ツ 💙

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

Wow so happy to see people showing interest in the Tour and in road cycling in general.
When I was younger I loved to watch it, but now I don't see myself sitting on the couch for 4-6 hours to watch the stages. I prefer to actually ride.
Recently I got myself my first road bike and I'm super happy about it.
Would be happy to see someone post their bike here as well :)

View attached image.
5 years ago

Nice bike!

5 years ago

Another victory by Sagan; was there really any doubt?

Great attempt by Gilbert though; it would have been a massive feat had he managed to stay out till the finish (bringing back memories of "Turbo" Jelle Nijdam).

Other than that a pretty boring stage but fortunately no crashes or other problems.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Sagan has clearly a score to settle in this Tour. ;-)

5 years ago

Fraile wins in what can be called Vinokourov's Revenge. Astana badly needed a win, they must be ecstatic today.

For a long time it looked like Jasper Stuyven was going to win on Belgian National Day but it was not to be.

The GC battle definitely had some fireworks right there at the end. Roglic looked really strong, escaping from the group of GC favorites. It looks like the top 3 are glued to each other; Thomas, Froome, and Dumoulin will not let each other out of sight. Bardet losing more seconds is not going to help him, Quintana also can't do it. The top 4 looks pretty set but anything can happen in the Pyrenees.

Tomorrow a really fun stage for a climber breakaway and then Monday finally some rest!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Jasper Stuyven did try so kudos to him and 2 km to go. :-)

5 years ago

Alaphilippe should have followed Fraile, easy to say now and sitting at home :) but that really costed him the stage.

Sagan 4th on this terrain! He's gearing up for Innsbruck :)

5 years ago

Happy cakeday! 🍰

5 years ago

5 years ago

I just read that Dan Marin had a puncture at the foot of the last climb yesterday and that Adam Yates helped him up; that's what I like to see!

This is what Dan tweeted after the stage:

https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/1020719640216047616
https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/1020722116453437441

Then there's this:

Today, Peter Sagan set the record for the most amount of stages in the lead of a Tour de France classification:

• Peter Sagan (Green) - 97
  • Eddy Merckx (Yellow) - 96
  • Richard Virenque (Polka Dots) - 95
  • Lucien van Impe (Polka Dots) - 90
5 years ago

Good win by Magnus Cort Nielsen; he was definitely the best sprinter of the three. Second win for Astana in a row.

Rest day tomorrow!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

I am so, sooooooo happy Gilbert is ok! My heart stopped when he crashed into the ravine!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Likewise!

5 years ago

Julian Alaphilippe won fair and square but I had really hoped to see Gesink or Mollema do it today; I don't think either will get a chance in the two days to come.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

When Gilbert fell he was probably within 1 km of where Casartelli died, this doubled the effect for me, so great he is relatively unscathed.

Alaphilippe to me during this Tour has morphed into a second Sagan!!! He can win on such a range of races, and he has all the showmanship too, what a rider!

5 years ago

Yaaay, Julian was my bet!

5 years ago

Philippe Gilbert will not start tomorrow because his kneecap\patella is broken.

I hope and pray he makes a speedy and full recovery.

5 years ago

Damn, poor guy! So amazing he still finished the stage; cyclists are super human when it comes to stuff like this.

Here's hoping he'll be back as strong as ever, soon!

5 years ago

So much +1 and he really must have not only a lot of grinta but also a high pain threshold finishing the race with a broken kneecap.

5 years ago

Being able to withstand pain seems to be a required 'skill' for cyclists. Both, Tony Martin and Vincenzo Nibali finished the stages with a broken vertebra.

5 years ago

It most certainly looks that way.

5 years ago

:(

5 years ago

I hope and pray that we'll see him back soon in the peleton!

5 years ago

Very impressive by Nairo Quintana; when he damaged his bike at the start of the stage I thought it was all over for him.

Dan Martin showed how much of an attacker he is; he's one of the few riders who never hides but always goes for it when he has the legs.

When it comes to the GC it seems that Thomas is stronger than most people expected. Still one mountain stage and a time trail to go; is anything going to change those two days?

View attached image.
5 years ago

I had lost all faith in Quintana, then he proves me wrong in style! But I'm very glad about it :)

Worst thing, at least for me, is that Sky is gonna win another Grand Tour :(

5 years ago

Yeah, I fear they will...

5 years ago

Only a crash or a drunk Froome\Sky hater could change that, nothing sportive imho.

5 years ago

I don't have any sympathies for Froome and to a degree Team Sky. But I don't want to see someone stopping them by causing a crash, attacking them or such.

Edit:
A 'regular' crash also isn't something I like happening to the cyclist, but a string of technical issues requireing stops and bike changes might be enough to stop them.

5 years ago*

Froome has already been hit by such a person and had urine thrown over him so I really hope nothing worse will happen.

5 years ago

Yes, I saw that. And was really glad this person didn't do real damage by using a weapon or shoving him at another spot of the course. Maybe at the starting point of a downhil passage instead of a climb.

5 years ago

The thing with some of those people I mentioned is that they drink a lot of alcohol under a baking sun before the riders pass and then do stupid things just because they are drunk and behave like a drunk pack.

5 years ago

Haven't watched Tour De France in over 10 years now. Since the whole debacle, I lost interest.

5 years ago

Arnaud Démare finally got his win. The pressure was really high and the ASO sure helped by making most sprint finishes go uphill just a little, which suits him the best.

I guess Sagan decided to play it safe; maybe we'll see him on Sunday?

5 years ago

Démare also profited from the ASO raising the time limit on at least 2 stages, that way he wasn't disqualified earlier.

I think Sagan realised early in the sprint he wouldn't be able to wins and then just rolled to the finish line. He didn't need the win nor the points, so he played it safe and is in a great position for Sunday.

5 years ago

There are also rumors that Demare was '''helped'''' by his team car in the last 2 stages. Can't say for sure of course, he did really well today.

I think that after yesterday's nasty fall Sagan was already very brave to show up near the front, if he had won or made podium it'd have been utterly unbelievable :)

5 years ago

Long, fast descent at the end of a tough stage in thick fock? Once again the tour organizers prove they don't give a damn about safety. Let's hope nobody crashes here.

5 years ago

Fortunately it seems everyone made it down safely, so far.

5 years ago

Primoz Roglic showed his downhill skills today. Just like last year he won a Tour stage; hopefully he'll give us a lot more fun in the years to come.

Dumoulin is incredibly pissed right now; according to him a motard was too close and helped Roglic on the one flat piece to get away from everyone else.

There's been some more GC changes but nothing dramatically (as most of us hoped?).

Tomorrow is going to be really tough but Thomas is not going to lose the yellow.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Roglic really tried hard, both uphill and downhill, so he got a deserved win. The top guys arrived more or less together, but there was a lot of action, can't complain about this stage.

5 years ago

Bump and thanks

5 years ago

Taylor Phinney sure had one of those days, yesterday:

https://twitter.com/taylorphinney/status/1022981661036896256

5 years ago

Today's time trial is now getting exiting with the main GC riders busy. ^^

5 years ago

Well, that was a really strange day...

How is it possible that Thomas lost 12 seconds in the last part? Did he do it on purpose to give the win to Froome? If so, they obviously didn't count on the time keeping being messed up and Tom grabbing the win by just a single second.

A shame Roglic couldn't do it today but I'm sure we'll see a lot more of him in the future (and don't forget what a great season he has had already).

View attached image.
5 years ago

Last stage to start in a couple of minutes.

5 years ago

Well, Daniel Oss and Yves Lampaert sure tried at the end but unfortunately it was not to be.

Impressive win by Kristoff; he sort of saved the Tour for UEA; they haven't had a good three weeks.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Thank you for your Tour event, Corran and I'm looking forward to your Vuelta event! ;-)

5 years ago

Tour in Review

This year was a lot more exciting than many in the recent past; I really hope this is the harbinger of some great Tours to come. Sky is still the riches team by far and with Bernal they look to have a future winner already. But it looks like other teams are getting a little closer now.

General Classification
I want to start with congratulating Geraint Thomas; he was really strong and never faltered. He has a history of falling or otherwise failing in the grand tours but this time he deserved it.

Well, I was sure Froome was gonna win (and so were a lot of people) but I'm glad I was proven wrong. It's quite interesting though that the top four this year is made up of people who are (normally) counted to be more time trialists than pure climbers; and that in a Tour with few time trial kilometres... What does that say?

Personally I think it proves that teams are so strong now (even with just eight riders) that these days they are able to better control the mountain stages. Urán had an unlucky Tour but I don't think he would have been able to do it this year, and even Quintana with a really strong team (on paper) didn't even get close.

King of the Mountain
Well, I didn't even include Alaphilippe in my predictions so I was nowhere near there. Fortunately I did have numbers two and three at the top of my predictions. :)

Sprinters
I don't know what happened to Kittel; was it his move to the new team? Is he just out of shape this year? It's way too early to say his time has been but considering what he said before the Tour he might have known this wasn't his year.

Gaviria and Groenewegen were great though and I can't wait to see them duel it out together in the years to come.

Man of the Tour
Peter Sagan makes everything better. :D

He proved it again this year; three great wins, fun interviews and equaling Erik Zabel's six Green Jersey record. Number seven next year!

tl;dr
We had a great Tour de France this year and I can't wait for next year!

5 years ago

Thank you for the event.

I'm a little worried with farmers / pepper spraying incident. I hope there won't be more similar activist actions in following years.

5 years ago

A huge event like this is always going to attract people who want to get attention but hopefully we'll have some quiet years again.

5 years ago

I'm a bit less excited than you about this year's Tour, expecially about the GC. Yes, nobody expected Thomas and most people (even me...) thought that Froome would take it, but the unfolding was more or less business as usual. As you say big teams have the ability to control the race so very tightly and none is bigger and more equipped than Sky. The tought that Bernal, such a phenomenal talent, is already riding for them makes me afraid that we'll have a Sky yellow jersey endlessly :)).

Sagan is probably gonna win the green jersey until he retires :D, but my Man of the Tour was surely Alaphilippe, so many attacks (and results), lots of guts and much better climbing that I'd ever expected, a phenomenal Tour for him.

And fnally, thanks a lot for running the event and for sharing your thoughts and insights :)!

5 years ago

Yeah, I know what you are saying about the GC but after all the Indurain/Armstrong/Froome years at least it looked more fun with some more action in the mountains. I can't argue the result wasn't the same; another Sky win. I'm really, really hoping Tom Dumoulin will have one or more Tour victories before Bernal gets there.

A salary cap is the only way to stop one team from dominating but I can't see that ever happening. And even if it does... pro cycling has shown they are masters when it comes to loopholes.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.