Tour de France 2018

Also running: [60 Giveaways] The Mansion - an RPG adventure. & [Formula One] German Grand Prix.

How it works

Predict who is going to win each stage of the Tour.

• Leave your prediction for each stage on the giveaway (they all include maps and profiles and link to the official site).
  • Do not edit your predictions if you want to change but delete and create a new one.
  • Below is a table with all of them but you can just go the first one and use the "next stage" link.
  • We're not going to make it too easy so anyone who just spams the same rider for all stages will be disqualified.

Stages

Date Stage (Giveaway) Steam Game
Saturday, 7 July Noirmoutier-en-l'Île to Fontenay-le-Comte Dark Scavenger
Sunday, 8 July Mouilleron-Saint-Germain to La Roche-sur-Yon BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Monday, 9 July Cholet to Cholet Dinocide
Tuesday, 10 July La Baule to Sarzeau Two Digits
Wednesday, 11 July Lorient to Quimper BiT Evolution
Thursday, 12 July Brest to Mûr-de-Bretagne World of Goo
Friday, 13 July Fougères to Chartres Tower of Guns
Saturday, 14 July Dreux to Amiens Secrets of Rætikon
Sunday, 15 July Arras to Roubaix Kholat
Monday, 16 July Annecy Oozi: Earth Adventure
Tuesday, 17 July Annecy to Le Grand-Bornand The Bridge
Wednesday, 18 July Albertville to La Rosière Anomaly 2
Thursday, 19 July Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Alpe d'Huez Nuclear Throne
Friday, 20 July Le Bourg-d'Oisans to Valence Retro Game Crunch
Saturday, 21 July Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux to Mende Back to Bed
Sunday, 22 July Millau to Carcassonne Guacamelee! Complete
Monday, 23 July Carcassonne Saturday Morning RPG
Tuesday, 24 July Carcassonne to Bagnères-de-Luchon Botanicula
Wednesday, 25 July Bagnères-de-Luchon to Saint-Lary-Soulan (Col de Portet (fr)) Syder Arcade
Thursday, 26 July Trie-sur-Baïse to Pau Mushroom 11
Friday, 27 July Lourdes to Laruns Waking Mars
Saturday, 28 July Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle to Espelette A Virus Named TOM
Sunday, 29 July Houilles to Paris (Champs-Élysées) Girls Like Robots

This table/chart is RaChart™ compatible and was created with Giveaways Table/Chart Creator

Preview

This year has seen some changes as the ASO (the Tour organisers) look the shake things up and keep the viewers interested. We'll see cobbles, dirt roads, a formula one style start (stage 17), and more.

The most apparent change is that all teams are now starting with only 8 riders instead of 9. The riders have been clamoring for this change for a long time as it should make the flat stages a lot safer with fewer crashes. However, many are also saying this change was finally accepted in the hopes of hobbling Team Sky a little (though I doubt it will really work).

And there's this:

Last year there was some dissatisfaction about the progress of the flat stages. There was no battle for the early flight, the peloton always let the first attackers leave quietly. With boring competition hours as a result.

That is what the Tour organization wants to avoid this year. "We decided to introduce bonuses again during the stage", says course designer Thierry Gouvenou. "That will be a plus for the attackers."

"Those bonus prints will not necessarily be on flat roads, but they will be in strategic locations, the sprints will always be between 30 and 8 km from the line and 3, 2 and 1 seconds will be divided into the top 3."

"But from the 10th stage onwards, those bonus prints fall away, because then we cut the mountains", concludes Gouvenou. The bonuses should make the first Tour week extra attractive.

I can't see any GC riders taking risks to get these few seconds.

Sites
Official Site
Wikipedia
A better list of riders than the official site, with thanks to bartwu

General Classification (abbreviated as GC)
This is the one it's all about, who will bring the maillot jaune (yellow jersey) to Paris? It's going to be extremely tough this year; the first nine stages all have the potential to cause havoc for the GC riders before they've even seen a mountain. The field is also incredibly strong this year; apart from Fabio Aru and Thibaut Pinot, all the best riders in the world are here.

• There's been so much written about Chris Froome that I'm gonna keep it short for a change. He's allowed to start so he'll try and go for his record equaling fifth win. Is that possible after a hard fought Giro in May? We'll know in a few weeks. Fact is that he has the strongest team by far (you could easily swap out three riders and they'd be about as strong). Should he not be able to do it then Team Sky has Geraint Thomas (winner of Critérium du Dauphiné last month) waiting in the wings to be a surprise winner this year. Honestly though, don't bet against Froome...
  • Everyone is certain; the ASO designed this year's Tour stages for Romain Bardet to win the yellow. With Froome being tired from the Giro (at least in theory) this should be the year for the hope of France (also bolstered by the help of new teammate Tony Gallopin). The time trial on the penultimate day is going to be incredibly interesting; how will he handle last year's debacle? If he doesn't win this time then will he ever?
  • Movistar is bringing three possible winners according to most of the cycling press. Personally I don't think Alejandro Valverde is looking for a good GC qualification. But Mikel Landa and Nairo Quintana most certainly are. Landa was a very important lieutenant for Froome just last year and he knows how Team Sky operates. The big question is what Movistar is thinking and what their team orders are. Both of these men could be their leader but they could also use one to go for stage wins and tease out the other GC candidates. According to the Italian press Landa is already looking to leave Movistar again; if this is true then we could see this reflected in the Tour.
  • Richie Porte's string of bad luck continued to plague him last year when he had a horrible crash in the 9th stage; fracturing a collarbone and his pelvis. He's back this year though, winning the Tour de Suisse and having just become a father. Can BMC support him enough in the mountains? He has Damiano Caruso and Tejay van Garderen.
  • Last year Rigoberto Urán surprised a lot of people with his second place in the GC. You'd think more people would expect him to do well this year but no one is seeing him as a potential winner this year. Hopefully for him, Pierre Rolland and Daniel Moreno will be there for (moral) support.
  • The Shark of Messina, Vincenzo Nibali, is taking another shot at becoming a multiple winner of the Tour de France; his first victory was in 2014. He won La Primavera this year but nothing else, though he did skip the Giro specifically to focus on the Tour. He's 33, so age-wise he could certainly still do it but can Bahrain-Merida support him enough in a grand tour?
  • While I would so love to see Tom Dumoulin win this year, it doesn't seem likely. This is the first time he's attempted two grand tours so close together and he had to go really deep in the Giro. And there's not that many time trial kilometres. What also doesn't help is that Wilco Kelderman injured his shoulder once again and won't be there to help him. The bright side is that my favourite rider of all time, Laurens Ten Dam, was called up to be his replacement.
  • Simon Yates was incredibly impressive in the first weeks of this year's Giro. Now Team Mitchelton-Scott are bringing Adam Yates for this year's Tour; can he do as well (or better) as his twin brother? He was fourth in 2016. The team left Caleb Ewan home just to focus completely on the GC this year.
  • Daniel Martin was sixth last year (with fractured vertebrae after stage 9, no less!); it'll be hard enough for him to do that again this year.
  • Last year Bauke Mollema was lieutenant for Alberto Contador in his very last Tour. This year Bauke is the captain once again. He's always been the nearly man, could he make it to the podium? I'd love to see it but the competition is incredibly tough this year.
  • Team LottoNL-Jumbo are bringing four horses to bet on this year and that might be too much, even more so with only 8 riders this year. Steven Kruijswijk is the nominal GC rider with Robert Gesink either there to support him or go for mountain stage wins. Dylan Groenewegen is there to win sprints. And then we have Primoz Roglic... He really showed his potential last year and he might just be a GC surprise this year.
  • I'm running out of time but should also mention Jakob Fuglsang, Bob Jungels, and Ilnur Zakarin as GC contenders.

King of the Mountain (often abbreviated as KoM)
The maillot a pois (polka dot jersey) goes to the best climber; who will it be this year? Obviously the GC riders will all feature in this classification but there are some others... Double points are up for grabs for the final climb in the three Pyrenean stages: the Cat.1 Col du Portillon, the HC Col du Portet and the HC Col d'Aubisque.

• Last year Rafal Majka crashed out of the Tour in stage 9. He won the KoM in 2016 and 2014 and has three mountain stage victories so far. I'm hoping for more. He has said that this year he wants to focus on a good GC ranking; a big mistake, in my view.
  • Warren Barguil won the jersey last year but the headstrong Frenchman left the Team Sunweb collective to go to the Fortuneo-Samsic Pro-Continental team. You could definitely consider this a step down but here he's the head honcho and he'll have only one focus; winning mountain stages.
  • With Movistar's two GC contenders doing their thing, would that leave enough room for Alejandro Valverde to gather the points he needs?
  • Mikel Landa could also see this as a consolidation prize if his GC dreams go up in smoke.
  • It's going to be very interesting to see what Primoz Roglic will do this tour; it's not impossible he'll end up as the KoM (he ended up second last year).
  • The ever attacking Thomas De Gendt was third last year. His team doesn't have anyone for the GC and he can do his thing all Tour long.
  • Omar Fraile could go for it but it depends on how Jakob Fuglsang feels about the GC.
  • The same problem faces Jarlinson Pantano; will Bauke Mollema want him near at all times?
  • Lilian Calmejane is a rider who might be targeting the polka dot jersey this year.

Sprinters
Going by last year there's only one favorite but we might be in for something more interesting.

• After winning every bunch sprint he contested at last year's Tour de France, Marcel Kittel should go into the 2018 edition – one with even more opportunities for the fast men – as the top dog, the man to beat. Yet everything seems far more uncertain since he swapped the blue of Quick-Step for the red of Katusha-Alpecin. The German has only won two races all year, both at Tirreno-Adriatico in March. By this point last year he had won eight times, and nine times the year before.
  • After winning four stages of last year's Giro d'Italia on his Grand Tour debut, Quick-Step wasted no time in making Fernando Gaviria their number one man for the Tour. They are missing one man from their lead-out train, but will that stop him?
  • Peter Sagan's Tour de France last year went quite differently than both he and I imagined. He's back with something to prove. The big question is if he wants to even mix it up in the bunch sprints this year; he did beat Gaviria recently. There seem to be only two other stages with his name on it. Still, there's no doubt he'll be wearing the green jersey if he makes it to Paris, equalling Erik Zabel's record.
  • With his victory on the Champs-Élysées last year, Dylan Groenewegen showed the world he is ready for the grand tours. He's won nine stages this season, so far; will he add any in the Tour?
  • Last year was pretty terrible for Mark Cavendish; mostly crashes (including in the Tour) and illness. But two years ago he won four stages in the Tour while most had already written him off. He's back this year and has now publicly acknowledged that he would like to equal or better Eddy Merckx's record of 34 Tour victories (the 'Manx Missile' has 30 right now).
  • Groupama-FDJ are betting everything on Arnaud Démare this year. He has a well oiled lead-out train and proved last year that he can do it.
  • Michael Matthews won the green jersey last year after Sagan went out. This year his team will be focusing a lot more on the GC and he can't really compete with the big guns on the flat finishes. He is the most likely candidate to bring home the green after Sagan.
  • It's been quite a while since we've seen impressive Sonny Colbrelli wins; can he come back?
  • André Greipel did not win a Tour stage last year after winning at least one stage in every Tour de France since 2011. Has his time come and gone?
  • Ever since his terrible training accident it has been very hard for John Degenkolb to return to his past form; I really feel for him.

Feel free to leave your predictions for jersey winners and other speculations in the comments below.

Man of the Tour

I said it last year, and I was right, but for the wrong reasons... Peter Sagan will be the man of the Tour. If he has the legs to beat Gaviria and Kittel then he could potentially win ten stages but that would be silly. Still, he's still the Man of the Tour, here's hoping he'll make it to Paris!

Tour Trivia

Sylvain Chavanel will be starting his 18th Tour de France this year. Last year he equaled the record of Jens Voigt and Stuart O'Grady and now he will be the sole record holder.

Adam Hansen rode 20 consecutive grand tours; an amazing record that came to an end at the Giro a few months ago. He started his run with the Vuelta in 2011 but he won't be appearing in the Tour de France this year.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Seems the drawback of creating the thread in advance is that when you open it back up it ends up on page 3. :)

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Thanks Corran for making another cycling event. :)

Mainly looking forward to the none mountain stages as is fear the Sky train will dominate those once again.

5 years ago

I don't typically follow the sport, but I enjoyed last year's event and keeping up with the daily highlights. Thanks making another!

5 years ago

Froome shouldn't be allowed to run. Sorry, had to say it.

Well, in a few years he will confess in front of Oprah how he cheated.

5 years ago

rofl, or on the British version of Oprah?

5 years ago

First race and already one of 210 km in very warm weather. A very nice start of Le tour! ^^

Thank you for your cycling event, Corran! :D

5 years ago

Next win for Quick-Step. Perfect leadout for Gaviria!

5 years ago

Well, holy shit...

I said that the first nine days were filled with boobytraps for the GC riders; the very first day already upset the GC! (Though truth be told this was not so much a boobytrap as much as all teams wanting to be at the front of the peleton; the sprint teams wanting their men there for the final and the GC teams so their contenders are 'safe'.)

Froome, Quintana, Porte, Yates... All of them are 50+ seconds behind already.

Gaviria looked imperial; he looks poised to win the next four sprints. Good to see Sagan finishing second.

5 years ago

Froome, ouch.

5 years ago

I don't have a prediction, but have a cat gif bump 😹

View attached image.
5 years ago

Love it. :D

5 years ago

Very well done by Sagan even if it got very close at the end.

Really sad to see that crash at 2.1 km. With half of the bunch sprinters on the floor today's sprint was quite devalued.

Team Time Trial tomorrow!

5 years ago

This is not how I wanted Sagan to win :(

5 years ago

I really would have wanted to see a sprint without the crash but the last years showed us that with that many riders in the peleton that crashes are always going to happen, unfortunately.

5 years ago

Really well done by BMC. It was quite close all day, certainly made it more fun to watch/listen.

Sunweb did really well, considering who they had to work with. Movistar lost, as expected.

The GC certainly got some changes, as predicted. Now to survive the next few days without any crashes and then Roubaix on Sunday is gonna shake up the GC again.

Tomorrow; another chance for the sprinters, hopefully without any last km incidents!

5 years ago

Greg Van Avermaet in the yellow jersey! ^^

5 years ago

At the end it was going to be either him or Gilbert; Belgium all the way!

5 years ago

Hopefully tomorrow too! ^^ ⚽⚽⚽

5 years ago

I wouldn't be suprised if those two battle for the yellow jersey every day until the mountains. Intermediate sprints could be as exciting as the stage finishes.

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

Thanks for the GAs! Some really good games in there!

5 years ago

A long sprint by Fernando Gaviria but he managed to hold out till the line with Sagan and Greipel (surprising!) getting very close indeed.

Third for Gaviria tomorrow?

5 years ago

Great sprint by Gaviria but Richeze was the difference maker for him. What a perfect leadout!

5 years ago

I tuned in at 20 kms and really thought the breakaway could make it, too bad for them the last few kms were slightly rising, that made the difference imho. Gaviria and Sagan are two of my favourite riders so I'm always torn in these finishes :)

5 years ago

Another great win by Peter Sagan; he did it so easily in the end. Colbrelli looked to get ahead at one point but then Peter engaged the turbos. What a rider...

Tomorrow should provide even more fireworks on the Mûr-de-Bretagne; I can't wait!

Real shame Michael Matthews had to leave the Tour with illness, hopefully no one else in his team catches it.

5 years ago

A nice win for him indeed and not only what a rider but also what a character!

5 years ago

Sagan reminded us why he is the best :)). I should start giving more credit to Colbrelli!

5 years ago

Yeah, Colbrelli surprised me as well; he always seemed second string but he was really strong today.

5 years ago

I got it right for the first time, it seems!

5 years ago

Well done!

5 years ago

Great win by Dan Martin, he proves he has the chops for classics and stages like these and this time no bad luck for him.

It was more of a GC massacre then I expected; lots of contenders lost time. Bardet had some mechanical problems and then just couldn't follow. Terrible timing for Tom Dumoulin to get a puncture; he stood no chance and lost about 50 seconds. :/

5 years ago

GROENEWEGEN!!!!!! :D

Amazing how he just blew past Gaviria. Such a well deserved victory!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Congrats for Oranje boven! ^^

Nr. 10 for him this season! :D

5 years ago

Yeah, he had such a good season already, so we were really hoping he'd be able to show his form in the Tour as well.

5 years ago

The other sprinters only saw his back, he was so fast.

5 years ago

His win in Paris last year was so impressive that I thought he would be a regular contender for Tour sprints, today he showed the same level! Now I just have to finally learn to spell his name :D

5 years ago

lol!

5 years ago

Dylan Groenewegen does it again!

Greipel looked to be blocking Gaviria; will the jury do anything?

Dylan is only the third Dutchman to win two back to back stages (the other two are Jan Raas and Joop Zoetemelk).

Tomorrow a mini Roubaix! :D

View attached image.
5 years ago*

With room to spare! ^^

Number 11 this season and counting! Congrats!

5 years ago

Thanks!

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

I see Belgium is leading England 1 - 0; going well!

5 years ago

Until now yes but the English are pushing forwards.

5 years ago

2 - 0 ! ^^

5 years ago

Congrats, that should be the clincher!

5 years ago

Thank you and never did the red devils do so good on a WC! :D

5 years ago

Imagine how they will do in 4 years! :p

5 years ago

I certainly hope so! :-)

5 years ago

Have a bump, I think I saw too late the "no spam the same rider", I'm so clueless for cycling I just finished with the same one for all the end x)

5 years ago

Bump for todays bumpy ride

5 years ago

Man, oh man...

Today's stage sure is a massacre already. Richie Porte (BMC) and Juan-Joaquin Rojas (Movistar) are already out of the Tour before even getting to the cobbles.

And then we got to the cobbles and I can't even count the number of crashes and punctures...

View attached image.
5 years ago*

This is a stage that a lot of the GC riders will have feared and dreaded due to those unforgiving Paris-Roubaix cobbles.

5 years ago

Richie Porte, poor unlucky guy :(

"In 2014, it was pneumonia. In 2016, it was an untimely puncture. In 2017, it was a horror crash at 70kph on a steep descent."

5 years ago

Yeah, I should have written a bit more about Richie yesterday. He is such a class all-round GC rider (and a great guy) and has always been seen by most people as the biggest threat to Froome. But his streak of bad luck is just legendary. :/

5 years ago

I'm so happy for John Degenkolb. He had it so tough after his accident and he more than deserves the win today. Strangely enough it's also his first Tour de France victory; he's won plenty in the Vuelta but never here.

Bardet is the Prince of Punctures today; amazing he managed to keep coming back.

Quintana was also a great surprise; he seemed to have no problems at all with the cobbles. But a real shame to see Mikel Landa crash; it would have been really nice to see all three Movistar contenders start the mountains on an even footing.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Surprisingly both Sagan and Gilbert (although of course he had Lampaert there) missed the move. Great stage as expected , the downside as always is the misfortune for some GC riders.

And now to the mountains :)

5 years ago

Yeah, they went the exact moment Sagan wasn't ready to counter.

Rest day first now. :)

But yeah, real mountains on Tuesday!

5 years ago

I did not have Lampaert in my team, so I was like "Please get third, please get third" :)
Very happy Degenkolb won, had it wrong with him so many times, but I knew he was getting more allround after his accident.

5 years ago

15 km to go, as of yet, but this first mountain stage is really enjoyable to watch! ^^

5 years ago

Julian Alaphilippe finally has the Tour victory he so badly wanted. And as a bonus he also gained the polka dot jersey. A very impressive stage by him; Quick-Step's 50th victory this season!

Not too many GC attacks today but a few of the second stringers (Mollema, Zakarin, Majka, Jungels) lost precious time on the last climb and descent.

Greg van Avermaet was very impressive today; keeping the yellow jersey like this was not expected. Hopefully for him he won't have to pay for this feat in the coming stages.

Interesting stat (though it doesn't matter at all for this Tour): Chris Froome (SKY) has worn the #MaillotJaune after the first mountain stage of every #TDF he's won (2013, 2015, 2016, 2017).

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Number 50 this season! :O

What a team and team manager! ^^

5 years ago

I like Alaphilippe a lot, but he really was off the charts today, at times he looked like a pure climber! Well done!

5 years ago

Very smart riding by Geraint Thomas though for me Mikel Nieve, Snowy, absolutely deserved the win. Nieve already won a Vuelta stage and multiple Giro stages (including one this year) and that's in a role as support for GC riders. He definitely deserves a Tour stage victory as well.

Amazing how Tom Dumoulin and Kragh Andersen got away on the last descent - they got to 93.5 km/h! Very smart, it pulled the group quite apart but unfortunately for Tom, Froome managed to claw himself back. It was very strange to see Wout Poels drop so early; I wonder what happened there.

And very strange how Quintana let Froome go; could he really not follow or wasn't he paying attention? His chances certainly dropped a lot today.

So many GC battles today; it was a great stage! Gotta wonder what's going to happen tomorrow; the last mountain stage in the Alps with the finish up Alpe d'Huez, will we see more battles? Can't wait!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

And the sprint of Dumoulin to beat Froome for the bonus seconds was nice to see.

Alpe d'Huez is also know as the orange mountain. ;-)

5 years ago

Yeah, lots of stuff happening, but it looks like Sky will be able to do as they please, they are overpowering! Kudos to Dumoulin, I thought he would be spending a lot going alone on such a not too steep climb, and he probably did, but he tried and fought like a lion, it's early but atm he looks like the only real contender (unless Quintana and Nibali improve drastically).

5 years ago

I expect Nibali still has quite a bit left in the tank but he's Mr. Invisible and he'll probably wait till the Pyrenees.

Quintana, I just don't know... Valverde looks to have sacrificed his own chances today, and Landa fell a few times this Tour...

I can't imagine we're not going to see some do or die attempt from Bardet at some point. Could be tomorrow, could be in the Pyrenees. It seems completely impossible to me that there won't be a day where he attacks and tries some huge solo or something.

5 years ago

Nibali is indeed more and more a third week rider. I think you are right about Bardet and I hope he can wreak havoc while doing so :)

5 years ago

What a stage! Such a shame Steven Kruijswijk didn't make it...

I have to run, not time to write more!

Geraint Thomas wins again; gotta wonder how Froome feels.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

crazy that Geraint Thomas was able to win.. didnt expect that the gap between him and froome got bigger again

5 years ago

I had lost track of Kruijswijk when he crashed onto that ice wall down Colle dell' Agnello and here he is back with a gutsy and truly superb performance!
I have yet to see better pictures of what exactly happened when Nibali crashed, but such things continue to happen, it's unacceptable in the biggest race in the world!

5 years ago

I'm sure you've heard/read by now; Nibali got hit by a police motorcycle and he's out of the Tour...

I'm so impressed Kruijswijk kept going after they caught up to him; he finished only 51 seconds behind.

We can definitely say the first mountain stages gave us a lot more than last year when it was incredibly boring till the end.

5 years ago

New footage now shows that Nibali got caught on the strap of a bag or something. So it was a spectator and not the police motorcycle tha caused the fall. Terrible injury for him though; I hope he'll recover soon.

5 years ago

The rally around the Sky team version is that everything is peachy and clean but I can but wonder...

Congrats for Dumoulin, a pity he had a gear change problem.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.