I won a giveaway from over 4,000 people but when I looked at the poster I doubt I will ever be gifted the game.

He has been a member for a year, entered some giveaway amounting to 0.22 percentage of winning, barely commenting and his only 2 giveaways were made recently. One is 2 and a half days old and the other 7 hours old. None of them has been marked as received and the total value for both are 100 dollars.

Update
YUP this guys created fake giveaways KNOWING he wouldn't give them.

He tried convincing me it wasn't fake. Said he already sent me the code via email. But there was no email at all.

I think it was an attempt to get free CV markup. I'm upset not because I didn't get the game but because the person still tried to scam me.

The game was Rome 2. over 4,400 people entered the giveaway and it was just my luck to win a fake

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Idk. I remember when I won LOTOR war in the north they guy said "This is awkward my brother seems to have activated the whole bundle". I then look at his library and it says he's had the game for over two weeks along with all the other games. Told him how could he not see the influx of games in his library and he just said "Idk". I know it sucks but lets hope you get it. He might not have been for a while.

1 decade ago

Uhm, maybe he purchased a second bundle and gave the link of this one to his brother (with own account) with the request not to activate LOTR one?

1 decade ago

Hmm yeah winning a game lottery from over 4,000 people when the giveaway game is worth $60 which then turns out to be fake......would be pretty unlucky. xD\

Usually I took precaution from entering fake giveaways by reading on the comments but this one had no such doubting comments so I assumed it was alright. Looking at his steam profile he claims to be 16. How many 16 years old giving away a 100 dollars worth of games to strangers........

1 decade ago

The longer you are on the site.. the more likely this is to happen. :)

1 decade ago

Doubting comments are pretty rare these days due to the no calling out rule.

1 decade ago

I chuckle at the subtle comments people post to circumvent this rule.

1 decade ago

got suspended for saying I HOPE this isn't fake..

1 decade ago

What I do is I open the person's profile instead of the giveaway. When he has at least 1 gift received giveaway then I enter the giveaway. Also know that if a giveaway is limited to contributor value then the person will always have at least 1 gift received giveaway.

1 decade ago

Some people think if you make giveaways you can get the game yourself or someone else will give the winner the game. Others think they can give the game from their own library. Common sense is not very common on the internet. It's mostly new users who don't know how the site works. Nothing to do unfortunately. Wait some time and try to contact the creator. That's why if a giveaway looks too good to be true, you should take a look at the creator's profile. If you think they don't know how the site works, report it. Sometimes mods can get to them in time and close it if it turns out to be a fake.

1 decade ago

How often? I'd estimate a few times a week. The most common reason for "bad" giveaways is a lack of knowledge about how the site works. People who are new to SteamGifts do not always read the FAQ or site instructions.

1 decade ago

Ok, thanks

1 decade ago

Maybe there should be a "required" entry tutorial that new users have to click through. It wouldn't be as long as the FAQ, but would contain a few of the most important points and then direct them to the FAQ at the end. Since it wouldn't be as long as the FAQ, we could then rely on our community of international users to translate those few lines. It's better than nothing since a lot of people aren't reading the FAQ. Just my 5 cents.

1 decade ago

I have 56 wins, 1 was fake and it was just a $1 Magicka DLC. There is no foolproof way to know what will and won't be fake. One type of GA I do avoid though is when a brand new user posts a GA of three copies of a high end game (3 is limit for new users), NOT all of those end up being fake but due to "misunderstandings" more of them than others are.

1 decade ago

Hmm.. Can't seem to find the stats button on the front page...

Either way, not that much. At least, not enough that you really should be worrying about it.

1 decade ago

5 wins here, 1 was fake.. Not sure but I see them regularly.

1 decade ago

What I hate is people taking the keys, and not giving feedbacks... Can we do something about that?

1 decade ago

That's what support is for!

1 decade ago

After a week it automatically marks it as sent unless the person specifically notes otherwise I think. Of course, it's annoying having to wait that long, but it's better than nothing!

1 decade ago

I think I remember hearing the fake rates were pretty low, excluding the ones that get removed before they're completed, the odds of not received were roughly 1%. This was quite some time ago however, might be misremembering.

1 decade ago

YUP this guys created fake giveaways KNOWING he wouldn't give them.

He tried convincing me it wasn't fake. Said he already sent me the code via email. But there was no email at all.

I think it was an attempt to get free CV markup. I'm upset not because I didn't get the game but because the person still tried to scam me.

The game was Rome 2. over 4,400 people entered the giveaway and it was just my luck to win a fake

1 decade ago

Did you check your spam folder? One of my wins ended up on the spam folder once. It's because emails containing words such as 'won', 'giveaway' etc. are usually from spam emails.

1 decade ago

4 wins here, and one of them fake. ofc the fake was one with 3k+ entries and the real ones had around 300-600. Happens, such is life.

1 decade ago

I won a fake Black Ops II. There were like 1700 entries on it. I never even heard from the guy. If you see a really new game, there's a good chance its fake. That said, sometimes gaming websites and lets players on Youtube do big giveaways to support their channels, but they'll say that in the description. If they put stuff in their description, it'll probably be real. If it's just a blank description, it's almost definitely fake. There may be exceptions, but that's generally how it is.

1 decade ago

I haven't won any fake GA's yet. Mostly because if some one post an AAA game I check their profile on the following:

• How many GA's he made.
  • How many GA's actually have been send.
  • How many GA's he eneterd by himself.

This way I can see which are fake...

1 decade ago

I won Metro 2033 from a russian that was a fake, but luckily i won another metro 2033 later

1 decade ago

Metro 2033 is a good game. When I won Crysis 2 Max Edition the guy also gave me Metro 2033. It was very kind of him. Steamgifts is perfect for getting that would have been nice games

1 decade ago

This sucks man. I hope that it works out for you.

1 decade ago

It's ok not quite that bad just upset because the guy was still trying to convince me it wasn't fake. :)

1 decade ago

No so often. Usually it's a giveaway of 1-3 copies of AAA games from "1 week ago" registered guy. His not having any gift in his inventory, and also not have this game in his own library. But not even try to warn people what giveaway could be fake, so they could save they points at this moment - u'll get be suspended.

1 decade ago

I've been lucky enough to win some giveaways, no one was fake. I also had one time the problem of a winner of a GA I created who did not see my mail (was in spam folder). This is why I always add winners of my GAs and give them their prize in chat now.
In your case, if you can talk with the suspected faker, it's very simple: he can send you the key again, by retrieving it in its sent mail folder if necessary. If he doesn't, well, you already know :)

1 decade ago

I won a game over 2 weeks ago. I got it from the person and it installed and even played for a bit.
Then a few days ago I got a message from Steam saying the game was revoked. Turns out I wasn't the only person to have their game revoked. At least I was not scammed by the person, though if I do remember right, he did ask me about trades afterward.

Hes been trying to use the excuses...
"I just got my account back from steam it was stolen"
"I have no idea who any of you are"
"It wasn't me"
"I've sent a ticket to steam to have my account deleted because it was hacked"

You know the classes. Basically I think it was him, he got caught red handed or maybe his daddy/mommy found out he was using their credit card when he was not suppose to.

I would love to see Steam change a few things, like not being able to trade/gift games for at least a month after adding a new credit card to the account. And if you use paypal or any other 3rd party site to move money over into steam, again not able to trade/give the gift for at least a month. That will at least give some time for a stolen credit card to show up and stuff to get revoked.

Same goes for stuff on the market. The only way stuff should be allowed to be traded/gifted right away is if you have used the paypal account/credit card before on steam and have stored the info and its in good standing.

If for what ever reason a stuff gets revoked that you bought with that account, the account gets trade/gift locked for at least 6 months. So no way to trade/gift for that time.

I would also like to see steamgifts make a few changes.

New people should not be able to make a giveaway for at least a month of first signup. If their steam account is under a year old, no giveaways for at least 2 to 3 months.

When making a giveaway for the first few times it should be made clear with a popup that "they are making a giveaway and that they will not be receiving a gift, that they have to give a gift.

1 decade ago

If you have questions about the legitimacy of a giveaway, please let us know by creating a support ticket. If a giveaway is found to be fake, it's deleted, the points are returned to all entrants, the gifter is suspended and his rights to create more giveaways are taken away until he provides a proof of purchase for the game he intends to give away.

Please do not call out to users claiming that their giveaways are fake. Inform us by creating a support ticket.

Closing thread.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Prevail.