🏃💨 Welcome to the Goblin and Coins speed-running community event! 🏃💨

A little bit of history for newcomers...

Hello! I've created a little retro platformer game and with the help of friendly SG community managed to polish it and release it on Steam back in late 2016. Since then, I've held a few of these marathons/events/puzzles in order for all of us to have fun and at the same time to give back to SG members who supported the game by giving them the chance to win some nice prizes. You're welcome to check out previous events, tasks that were required, gifts, winners, hints...

...and now!

We'll try to speed-run the game for the first time ever in these community events. Speed-running is when you're trying to rush through the game in the shortest time possible. Current world record for this game is 17 minutes and 51 seconds. I'm not expecting you'll try to beat that, but I've set a much slower time to be our entrance bar - 1 hour. I've also prepared bunch of very detailed guides on how to record your video, how to set up timers... Of course, there are other ways for you to participate and have fun, even if you don-t have the game and never played it. Let's dig in!

Fast train for the fans [open until 27th of February]

🚂 1🚃 2🚃 3🚃 4🚃
Prey (2017) + secret bonus Torment: Tides of Numenora Mortal Kombat X + Goetia (bonus) STRAFE: Millennium Edition + secret bonus Guardian x20
Speed-run the game in under an hour /1 Speed-run the game in under an hour /1 Post a video of your gameplay for the full game, no time constriction /2 Finish the game with 200 or more coins /3 Be a supporter + BZ Leftovers for supporters
  1. Speed-running task, access to the entire train
    • Finish Goblin and Coins in one sitting in under 1 hr (World record is under 18 minutes, so even if you take 3x longer you're still in). Play on casual, doesn't matter what % of coins you collect or how many lives you lose. Timer starts when you enter World I from the map screen. Timer ends when you enter the door after defeating the World 5 Boss.
    • Record the video of it and post to YouTube. You're not required to show your face nor verbally comment, but it's fine if you do.
    • Submit the video to the https://www.speedrun.com/Goblin_and_Coins to get your score verified.
    • Post a comment here in the event thread with a link to your verified score. (like this https://www.speedrun.com/Goblin_and_Coins/run/mr82x1dy for example)
    • Important: Make sure your listed username matches your sg username!
    • Additional info: How to record a video | How to show/record timer | FAQ

2. Gameplay video task, access to cars 2-4
    • Post a comment with a link to your brand new or existing video/playlist of playing the entire game of Goblin and Coins. YouTube channel must match the sg username (or sg username must be provided in video description if different). As this is not for speed-run, video can be split into several pieces.
  3. Achievements task, access to cars 3-4
    • Post a comment with a link to your Goblin and Coins achievements with achievements Goblin and Collector unlocked.

Regular FFA train [ended on February 22nd]

🚂 1🚃 2🚃 3🚃 4🚃
Grey Cubes x50 BomberZone x15 Twickles x10 Outline x7 Dialing x5
Solve a Jigidi Have GnC in your wishlist by 25/1/19 ITH quiz Link is here FFA

Regular train closes on February 25th!

Participants (updated often)

Task Participants in fast / Entries/copies in regular
Speed-running (under 1h) Svipur, kataztrophik, FallenKal, Toff, PirateAARG, doubleomurfy, Gericonda, Mhadow, Ardiffaz, benia95, insideone, AxJ, Tewam, ...
Post gameplay recording (any time) (above+) ...
Finish the game with 200 coins (above+) Moirraine, alexbarbosa1, z00rox, cals7, adanhoost, nhahtdh, vempajor, ...
Support GnC 19/20
Jigidi 42/50
Wishlist 6/15
ITH 52/10
??? 52/7
FFA 125/5

Please check first post for bonus giveaways!

40% off on steam now ended on 22nd sry

Want to be informed about the upcoming game GnC2, community events like this and so on? Newsletter!

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

^_^

5 years ago

3rd Speedrun attempt landed me at 36 minutes 31 seconds. I can live with that ^^
1st Speedrun was around 1h30 minutes, but it had been a while since I played the game, forgot a lot.
2nd run was 54 minutes, enough to qualify but I had gotten stuck on one particular level which messed my time up a lot (and it was quite embarrassing :D).

Waiting for verification on speedrun.com so have a bump for now.

5 years ago

Wow, really nice time. Will be happy to send you train link once the verified time is posted (don't worry if it's not today, there's time to last week of February). Thanks for participating again :)

5 years ago

It's been a long time since I've recorded a gameplay video of any sort, and I'm intrigued, but don't know if I'll be able to get around to doing this one; still great to see the event, and happy to finally be able to bump the thread without it already being on the front page! :) Gotta go fast bump!

5 years ago

BUMP!

5 years ago

5 years ago

Invited

5 years ago

For anyone who has the game it's not too hard to set up the video recording, I basically just followed NB264's guide. Speedrunning isn't as bad as it may seem either, I got under 1 hour on my second attempt, only because I forgot so much about the game in my first run. I'm not much of a speedrunner either since I generally don't particularly like it, but this game it was kind of fun. Youtube is kind of a dick for not allowing you to upload any video that's longer than 15 minutes without "verifying your account" which requires your cellphone though. Give it a shot I'd say if you're interested in the games being given away.

5 years ago

Here's my ticket, sir! :]

5 years ago

Invited.

5 years ago

Edited thread to add a secret bonus giveaway to fast train / car 3.

If you've already invited, please sorry for the inconvenience and check that link again. Thanks.

5 years ago

First )
Thank you!

5 years ago

This is my embarassing speedrun attempt to this game lol

It was a great idea of an event, to be honest! Cheers!

5 years ago

Why is it embarrassing, you got there far below the 1h mark.

Invited.

5 years ago

Bump. Quite hoping to see a sub-30 run. Woop!

5 years ago

Have a bump! Might try another run.

5 years ago

Ah 31m35s back to my righteous 3rd place :D Just barely :p

5 years ago

Oooh. the competition is heating up!

5 years ago

It's listed as 31m34s, 3rd place taken over officially. Gz!

5 years ago

How much more time do I have before the event ends?

5 years ago

Regular free for all giveaways close on February 25th.
Fast train for GnC fans close on February 27th.

You should post any links (speedrun / gameplay recordings / achievements) at least 24h before giveaways close, so there's time for me to invite you and for you to actually enter.

5 years ago

Gotcha, Thanks :)

5 years ago

Great event, thanks:)

5 years ago

Finally got the puzzle for Grey Cube GA :) (but 1h38 xD so slow)

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

bump!!

5 years ago

Bump.

In memory of Hob, who tonight beat Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne without getting hit once - and then went on to complete his Godrun with a no-hit run of Demon's Souls... only to get hit by the tutorial boss.

It's moments like these when you really get to appreciate that a speedrun of Goblin and Coins takes about 15 minutes to retry instead of 10 hours.

5 years ago

Bumf

5 years ago

https://www.speedrun.com/Goblin_and_Coins/run/z51l4k5m

My score has been verified. Thank you for this challenging event :)

5 years ago

Invited

5 years ago

Have a bump. I bought the game today. Played about 40 min. I'll setup and do a recording tomorrow. I may play the rest tonight... or just wing it tomorrow while attempting the hour limit. lol.

5 years ago

Okay, I hope you have a good time playing. There's still time for submitting a speed run, so maybe enjoy first play through slowly, try to explore and stuff.

5 years ago

Achievments

394 Stars. Just a bit short of 400. Good think I only needed 200..

i get destroyed by the axe guys. Hate those guys.
Still..... The game was fun. Thanks for making it. :)

5 years ago

Invited to cars 3+4, if you do a speed-run later you'll be invited to the engine-1-2...

The trick with all the ax throwing enemies is to stop ahead of them and wait till they throw, then run under the ax and jump on them.

5 years ago

How can I participate with Linux? LiveSplit doesn't support it.

5 years ago

I've uploaded some video for the past event and I'm on linux (Archlinux with Plasma as DE).
Which distribution are you using?

Anyway I use SimpleScreenRecorder and I haven't encountered any difficulties, but if you need some help to set it up feel free to ask me.

5 years ago

I don't have any problems with video recording. I ask about LiveSplit

How to show a timer on screen while speed-running

The first thing you'll need is OBS Studio, which we already covered.
The second is a free app LiveSplit[livesplit.org]

5 years ago

Maybe you can use https://one.livesplit.org/

or

https://github.com/3snowp7im/urn

Depending on what you prefer?

5 years ago

Thanks, I'll try. It seems something like chromium --window-size=320,600 --app=https://one.livesplit.org/ will be OK.

5 years ago

Fingers crossed! :)

As far as I know, you can do right click on it as usual, but the menu might be a bit larger than 320x600 though.

5 years ago

Sorry, I tought that livesplit was the tool for recording the video.

5 years ago

bump

5 years ago

Important: Make sure your listed username matches your sg username!

Can I just link steam profile into my speedrun profile? Like this

View attached image.
5 years ago

yes, as long as I can confirm it's you it's all well

5 years ago

Heh, seventh place... haha ha...
Can I enter the BomberZone giveaway?

5 years ago*

Invited

I don't know if you can technically, but if you can you're welcome to do so. As it stands now, there might be some leftover keys anyway so if there's not enough entries I'll send you one later.

5 years ago

5 years ago

Invited

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

5 years ago

Invited.

It's not actually harder, there's no additional enemies, no new traps, it's the 100% same game... except, you have a limited amount of lives. So it's like... you can walk the line on the ground perfectly balanced, but what if the line is 15m up in the air?

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.