So Nvidia today officially announced the Geforce 4000 series, as well as 3 specific cards in the lineup: Geforce 4090 ($1599), Geforce 4080 16GB ($1199), and Geforce 4080 12GB ($899). Some news articles:

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-delivers-quantum-leap-in-performance-introduces-new-era-of-neural-rendering-with-geforce-rtx-40-series
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-introduces-geforce-rtx-4090-4080-series-rtx-4090-launches-october-12th-for-1599-usd
https://www.ign.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-rtx-40-series-specs-price-features-release-date

Unfortunately the prices are very high, so much so that Nvidia decided to rename the 4070 at the last minute to 4080 12GB to trick people into believing it had the same performance as the real 4080 (16GB) just with less vram. It supposedly is about the same performance as a 3090, just with half the vram for about the same price...yea...So basically you'll need to spend $1200 minimum to get a 'real' __80 class GPU or better this generation.

Anyhow, was wondering what you all think of the newest cards? Anyone plan on getting one?

1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I have no desire to buy a video card that costs as much as a monthly mortgage payment. I dont do any big time gaming, and my setup built from spare parts does good enough for what I do.

I have way more important things to do than that. But it is interesting to see how the technology is moving.

1 year ago

Cyberpunk 2077 4x perfomance rtx on dlss3 amazing

i will wait for the new amd cards and then I'll decide if it will be a 4060ti/4070 or similar amd graphics card

(unfortunately, my current computer has not had a video card for almost three years.I sold my 1070ti card at the wrong time)
/Synce played One X-> Series X and PS5 /

1 year ago*

My upgrade can wait until they quit putting comedians in charge of price

1 year ago

The circus is now in town at this point.

1 year ago

I don't like that card, its smug aura mocks me

1 year ago

I bet if you licked it, it would taste sour.

1 year ago

Love that gpu prices are going down (the already existing ones), but what I really want to lower in price is TVs. Been eyeing some nice 4k tv since forever, but the prices just stay the same even though new models are released constantly.

1 year ago

Depends on what type of TV you want. If you want an OLED then they should be dropping in prices next year as QD-OLED tech matures. For non-OLED TV's I've seen large 4K sets as low as $300 new at Walmart, can't imagine them going much lower.

1 year ago

And how much watt you gonna need?

1 year ago

View attached image.
1 year ago

Funny thing, I just received my new electricity "offer" from my current provider: €0.93/kWh. Seems to be on par with these GPU prices. Needless to say I'll skip both.

1 year ago

Uh, where are you from? in EU they are trying to make limit for electric power to €0.18 per kWh.
But in my country it will be something like €0.24 for electric power, but totally (with distribution) it will be somewhere around €0.36 per kWh.

And I agree, I will skip these cards too :-)

1 year ago

Romania. I guess it's time to say goodbye to my current provider and start reading the fine print for the available alternatives. I find it funny how the new gen GPU is advertised to "maintain the same 450W power consumption" (per hour), in the current context when we see crazy energy prices that keep going up.

1 year ago

Hopefully this will make 3090 prices lower enough for me. If a 3090Ti roughly equivalent to a 4080 why do I need an upgrade?

1 year ago

It will be best to wait for 4060 and 4070. But I am still happy with my old 2070 that I bought 21.10.2018 :-)

1 year ago

Most games still develop for consoles for sales, so a 1060 should suffice. (And I'm using 1080)
However, someone might consider buying a new graphics card for a better experience. (+ or for some work)

1 year ago*

Well, 1060/1070/etc weren't exactly enough to play Cyberpunk in any useful way. Didn't try Valhalla yet (but will, since it's free atm).

1 year ago

I definitely forgot about game that was released on consoles but didn't run on consoles. :D

1 year ago

Oof, guessing the price based on conversion and aib extra cost, that 4070 will be minimally $500 more here than the cheapest 3070s were 2 years ago. Not much chance of amd causing a price war, and no chance at all that these don't instantly sell out every time anyone gets stock for the next year. Might be time for me to reconsider a console.

1 year ago

At these prices new Nvidia GPUs won't sell like sliced bread. Nvidia tried to postpone manufacturing of their chips by TSMC. EVGA announced they won't build series 4000 graphics cards and will end their business relations with Nvidia. People will have less disposable income with rising prices. Ethereum mining comes to an end with miners selling lots of used cards.

Business perspectives for consumer grade GPUs don't look amazing right now.

1 year ago

Nvidia went crazy with pricing starting with the 20 series and I will not pay anywhere near these prices. I could see the prices being reasonable at half of what they currently are, but I still wouldn't buy one because I can't justify spending $450-800 on a GPU. If they drastically dropped the pricing, I might consider a 4060 or 4070, but until then l'll stick with the used market like I always have. The last card I bought was a GTX 980 Strix which was brand new, unopened, but a little over 3 years after it was released, so I only paid $145. I could have got a used 980 for around $100, but the extra money was worth it knowing it was new and didn't possibly have 3 years of hard use.

My GPU before that was a used GTX 580 for $110, and before that was a used Radeon HD 4850 for $37. I can't see myself paying $400-600 for a GPU to play games, so over $1000 sounds ludicrous. It makes me sad to see how much money people are willing to spend mostly just to say they have the latest and greatest things. I don't play many new AAA games so probably 90% of the stuff I play won't even push my 8 year old GPU that hard.

1 year ago*

Where the heck did you buy a brand new 980 for $145? I saw some 780Ti deals a bit pricier but they were sold in a snap. Then I found the scalper selling them for $50 extra, he wanted to sell fast. This was like a year before the mining craze.

1 year ago*

I bought it on Ebay in 2018. I don't think there were any scalpers at the time. When I bought it, it was common to see used GTX 970s selling for $70 or $80 and 980s for around $100. I only paid more because it was new. I was surprised to find one still new, so I watched a couple unboxing videos to make sure the seller didn't reseal it and say it was new. Everything was perfect, all the stickers and output covers on, even still had a new smell. Ebay is good about making sure the buyer gets what is advertised, so if it was used and resealed, I would have sent it back at their cost or just got a full refund and got to keep it if they refused to take the return.

I also chose to go with a 900 series at the time instead of something like a 1060 not only because it was slightly better price to performance, but because I still use a CRT monitor and the 900 series was the last gen to support analog output. Anything newer and I would have to buy an active adapter and those always have limitations and limits that I didn't want to deal with. I would have preferred a used 1060 for less power draw and more VRAM if I didn't need the analog output, but I think they were still a bit more expensive.

1 year ago*

I'm curious how your eyes make do after what I assume to be decades of CRT usage.
After I switched to LCD a long time ago, every remaining contact with CRT meant uncomfortable eye strain.
(The only thing I miss is hypothetically being able to play lightgun games.)

1 year ago

My vision hasn't changed in the past 15-20 years and I don't get eye strain from using a CRT. I pretty much live on my computer, using the CRT for at least 10-12 hours a day (yeah, I have no life). I almost always run it at 1400x1050@85hz, which I find comfortable with no flicker or eye strain.

Also, I use a program called powerstrip that lets met setup hot keys to control brightness, contrast, gamma, and create presets. When I'm just doing stuff online or other desktop stuff, I keep the white level almost all the way down so that the bright whites are dulled and not blinding. Then I just click a button to set it back to where it should be if I am going to do something where I want the levels to be correct, like a game, movie, other video content, or pictures.

Edit: I am looking to finally move away from it in the next couple years if things go right. I have been waiting for OLED monitors since the TVs were first announced. Hopefully the QD-OLED monitor market gets big soon since it seems like it has had a pretty good reception so far and I think a lot of people will buy it. I would love a 27", 1440p, high refresh OLED (around 120 or 144hz would be enough for me). The prices will need to come down though.

1 year ago*

I decided to skip the 30 series since I was happy with my 2060S (and saw no need to pay the silly prices). Looks like I might be skipping the 40 series too. My current PC cost just over £2000 ($2275) and does what needs done - I don't see the point in paying more than half that again for graphical power that I don't need.

Maybe if the price hits levels become less stupid in a year or two, I might think about it. It really is starting to look like Nvidia are trying to price themselves out of business :p

1 year ago

Still happy with my vastly overpriced 2080. Still remembering the time their 2080 Super was slightly better and significantly cheaper than the 2080.

1 year ago

I was planning on upgrading my 1080 Ti.

Then I see 4080 (the real one) pricing in Europe is €1469. What the fuck. I paid less than half that for a 1080 Ti on its release.

If AMD doesn't initiate pricing wars when they drop RDNA in November, the only realistic choice is to stare at Ebay and wait until 2nd hand 3080 drop down to £400, but it's probably going to take a while.

Nvidia ordered too much 3000 series cards hoping to throw them at miners, and now they and the AIBs are sitting on piles of it, still trying to sell them at the 2020 MSRP which is already higher than it should be. The mining boom is gone, demand fell down a cliff, and instead of dropping prices for the 3000 series and let 4000 take their place (like it happened with literally every generation in the last 10-20 years), they conjure up new, ridiculous price points. The fake 4080 12GB is just an insult.

Very disappointing, and very disgusting.

1 year ago

I don't crap money. Hard pass.

View attached image.
1 year ago

1 year ago

Hahah.. Thanks for a good chuckle. That website has some seriously good shit 😁👍

1 year ago

Over priced ... Also massive power consumption... They want keep 3000 series GPUs cost high... Don't give them your money.

1 year ago

I hope used mining GPUs saturate the market and drive the prices of everything down before these are released next month. It would be nice if everyone boycotted these like we should have done with the 20 series when they drastically raised prices. Unfortunately people didn't care back then and they bought them anyway, plus the crypto miners bought a lot. Now that we are in a recession, maybe people will value their money more and stop overpaying for gaming components. If Nvidia needed to raise prices, they wouldn't be reporting record profits. They are just taking advantage of people that have no self control.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.