As Metro: Last Light is going to be released in ~3 days time I am reading the books again as I am tempted to buy/preorder it.

I looked up information if there will be a third book and I stumbled upon the wikipedia article of Metro 2035. And yes there will be a third book. Dmitry Glukhovsky confirmed it. But the book will cover the same story as the new Metro game.

"According to Glukhovsky, the novel will tell the same story as Metro: Last Light - thus once again casting Artyom as the protagonist - but in much greater detail and length than the game itself. The writer states that when he was writing the plot and dialogues for the game, the story outgrew the framework of a video game so he decided to write a book about it."

I personally do not like it. If a game is based on a book you will most likely know how the game will end. But you buy it because it is a good game, you like the story and want to "feel" it or for various other reasons. But if a book is based on a game you played the book will not catch you. I read books because everything can happen.

"You know you are reading a good book when you have to stop once in a while just to say: fuck."

I fear that exactly this will not happen if you know the story. But thats my opinion. So what do you think? Is this a good idea? Or do you simply dont care?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Metro 2035.

1 decade ago

Unicorn

1 decade ago

Conspiracy.

1 decade ago

Crabs

1 decade ago

I was reading a book the other day and I just had to stop and scream at the top of my lungs, because what I had read was so well written and applied to my life so well that it reopened a wound on my heart.

Edit: I have no idea why I commented in reply to a single sentence of your post.

1 decade ago

and the title of that book is....?

1 decade ago

I haven't really read the book Metro 2033 is based off in order to see how the story is transposed, maybe Dmitry is one hell of a good writer and manages to pull off a great follow-up, not sure i'd know really, i just got Game of Thrones so i'm going to have plenty of material for a couple of weeks.

1 decade ago

"You know you are reading a good book when you have to stop once in a while just to say: fuck."

This can also be a sign that you are reading a very bad book...

:D

1 decade ago

True. But I think you know what I mean. :)

1 decade ago

Or you may suffer from coprolalia.

1 decade ago

Probably he asumes they are completely different markets and he only will screw a little percentage of customers.
Indeed it's rare to read a book based on a game or film you already experienced. But you may wait and read the book before :-)

1 decade ago

Thats the problem. I am impatient. I do not want to know the story from a game. But I do want to know the story. Especially as I am reading the books again. But I hate waiting. So I am in a inner conflict at the moment.

1 decade ago

But the book wont be a word for word, second by second rehash of the game. Just like movies are more of a tl:dr version of a book. Its for this very reason that any movie based on a book, that I have read, I cant stand to watch.

1 decade ago

like The Great Gatsby, or so my friend says. Apparently the new movie got the mood of the book all wrong. But I have more hope for a book based on a game than a Hollywood movie based on a book.

1 decade ago

How about a game based on a movie that was based on a book?

1 decade ago

I don't think it's a bad idea, I've read lots of books/comics/other stuff that has been adapted as movies, TV series, or other things, and still enjoyed the books. And I personnaly think that a good story (whitout any importance to the media) is one you want to hear two days after reading/watching/playing it, and see every adaptation of it.
And well since he writes the scenario and the book wich of the book or the game is an adaptation ?

edit: I'll add that "you know you are reading a good book" when you've got to the end and have 2 hours to sleep before going to work

1 decade ago

Meh, I think I'll read the book sooner than I'll play the game anyway.

1 decade ago

Buyers be warned that although the basic price of the book is $18.99, if you want the definitive experience, the final 50 pages of the novel must be purchased separately for an additional cost of $5.99.

1 decade ago

lol dlc for books now ?

1 decade ago

You can buy the basic version of the book for $18.99, but if you want it to use more than 3 syllables in any one word you need the Intellectual Edition which costs more.

1 decade ago

Illustrations can also be purchased for 99 cents each.

1 decade ago

Binding is another 5 buckaroos.

1 decade ago

and hardcover if you back it up to 100 dollars on kickstarster (including all previous bonus)

1 decade ago

The way it was meant to be read.

1 decade ago

Or 4 if you preorder

1 decade ago

eh, I LOVED the Doom books, which were based on the game (re-read them recently, and they hold up), and even though I mostly knew what was going on, the books were still a wonderful read. This is a bit different, since Doom wasn't exactly story-driven, but still. I'll read 2035 when it comes out because playing a game gives you a totally different experience than reading a book. Even if it's the same story.

1 decade ago

2033 book was alright, 2034 already not so great, so I have my doubts concerning 2035.

1 decade ago

Not much of a reader, so I'm just going to enjoy the game ^^

1 decade ago

Don't read the books and you will enjoy the game, or viceversa.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by TheJazzman.