No giveaway here,just wondering what people thought were good movies released in 2016,looking for something to watch.

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Deadpool was reasonably amusing, and I thought Zootopia was pretty endearing and well-made.

I liked Eye In The Sky too if you're looking for something a bit more serious.

Edit: Oh and I've heard good things about The Jungle Book but I haven't watched it yet so can't give a personal recommendation

7 years ago

Seen both deadpool and zootopia,good stuff,what's eye in the sky about?

7 years ago

It centres around the morality of the use of drones in warfare (in this case in the Middle East)

7 years ago

Oh, and I really want to see The Siege of Jadotville too

7 years ago

The siege of Jadotville is a superb movie.

7 years ago

Can confirm that The Jungle Book is great.

7 years ago

Me too, it was pleasantly surprising to see a good animated film that's already been remade to death so many times in the past. They handled the visuals and VAs really well.

7 years ago

The movie Arrival was intense in terms of thriller and tension. i liked it.

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

+1 glad to finally see hard sci-fi in cinemas, not only adventure movies that happen to be set in space.

7 years ago

Definitely Dr. Strange!

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

it was surelly really impressive visually!

7 years ago

Visually, but the film hadn't much more to offer...

Really expected much more from this film having Cumberbatch and, I mean, being the fucking Dr. Strange!

Btw, the villian is ridiculous.

7 years ago

well, tbh for me this year beside Deadpool comic-movies didn't have much to offer this year - at least Dr. Strange was trully beautiful to watch, one of the most impressive films visually-wise I've seen, so this kept me occupied, when for example Civil war had nothing great to offer at all, only mediocre stuff with few just "good" moments. X-Men and both DC movies were total miss for me. So compared to this Dr. Strange was good enough for me ;p

I really do hope this year gonna be better - having high hopes for Guardians 2, 1st one was beside Deadpool my fav movie from MCU ;p

7 years ago

Hacksaw Ridge is a must watch ;)

7 years ago

Thanks, gonna add this to my to-watch list

7 years ago

+1 great acting by Andrew Garfield, and a well-directed film overall

7 years ago

Dr. Strange and Civil War were quite nice too

7 years ago

Gotta check out civil war,i just don't know if not having watched any of the "build up" marvel movies will make me not understand what's going on.

7 years ago

I personally haven't seen any Captain America, Thor or Iron-Man movie before seeing this, but I did see the two Avengers movies. For some odd reason despite it's name "Captain America: Civil War" it did feel more like an Avengers movie, so you could first give those 2 (avengers movies) a shot, in rest you should be good to go imo

7 years ago*

It happens to be on Netflix atm actually

7 years ago

Civil War is good. It has about an equal number of plot holes, akin to Batman v Superman, but it shines in the direction, pacing, dialogue, action, and moreover so, doesn't have characters that suck (unless you count Vision and other characters shoehorned in for the sake of a 'civil war')

7 years ago

Civil War had it's moments, some really good ones, but I also got dissapointed with quite a few parts of it, so for me it was a miss. But Doctor Strange was awesome!

7 years ago

captain america: civil war was fantastic
batman v superman sucked (and i am a big fan of them)

7 years ago

The Accountant was good. The Arrival looks great but I didn't have a chance to watch it yet.

7 years ago

I liked The Accountant; solid action, solid story, decent direction and overall I liked how it wound up each of its loose ends and fully explained the character rather than making another Jason Bourne wannabe

7 years ago

The Accountant is really good.

7 years ago

I haven't seen Arrival, Kubo or Green Room :/

Zootopia was quite funny

7 years ago

Kubo has an amazing stop motion but lack on story

7 years ago

"strange beasts and where to find them" and "rogue one" are also really nice spin-off movies made after big titles, that do not really require you to be a big fan or to have too much knowledge of the parent titles

7 years ago

+1 Strange beasts is nothing like Harry Potter and even if you know absolutely nothing about it, you will only miss a couple of small references. Rogue one is also amazing, although I'd say it does help if you know at least a bit about Star Wars.

7 years ago

spectral ! awesome :D

7 years ago

I really liked Arrival, Boosanhaeng, and Autopsy of Jane Doe.

7 years ago

Don't Breathe

7 years ago

loved the first half, then it went from scary to crazy!!!

7 years ago

That movie was horrible.

7 years ago

"Central Intelligence" would be a nice comedy movie with big names, but you shouldn't have big expectations from it, since it's made to be quite simplistic and consumer friendly. I enjoyed it nevertheless, had some good laughs from it.

7 years ago

I especially loved Train to Busan if you're not over saturated with zombies, it's one of the best I've seen (not just from 2016).

Other than that, Zootopia, 10 cloverfield Lane, Green Room, Deadpool.

7 years ago

Yes, Train to Busan appeared to me as really generic zombie movie like 1000 other movies... but after watching till the end I'd say: it's kinda generic still but very well made one :D

7 years ago

Haven't seen a great deal this year but the best two were probably Arrival and 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Heard good things about The Wailing, Train to Busan, and Hell or High Water but haven't seen them yet.

7 years ago

I watched Hell and High Water a week or so ago. I'd recommend it. Solid, enjoyable movie with a good story.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Thank you for the imdb links,they are appreciated.

7 years ago

I forgot Lights Out :)

7 years ago

Trying lights out and cloverfield lane.

7 years ago

10 Cloverfield Lane was awesome. Hope you like it.

7 years ago

The NIce Guys.

7 years ago

Deadpool for sure. I waited too long for Deadpool movie and it didn't dissapoint.
I'm also a big Marvel fangirl so I personally loved Civil War and Doctor Strange.
SW Rouge One was amazing too. Not like any of saga movies, but it has its own vibe. And it worked perfectly.
Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them - it was a bit different to Harry Potter movies. Few nice references to the series, interesting picture of 190s America and Eddie Redmayne :>
I also liked Suicide Squad tho it's not without flaws. Despite Joker was like 5 minutes of screen I'm interested enough that I will definitely watch next movie with him.
And Nerve was pretty cool too. BUT it's very important NOT to watch trailer. I did and it was a mistake. It basically summed up movie and you know EVERYTHING from it. I would enjoy it more if I hadn't watch the trailer.

7 years ago

I'll give suicide squad a try,i've heard mixed reports about it.

7 years ago

I think people expected a little too much from that movie and it ended up badly for them. It has few logical issues and they could present characters a lot better but imo these aren't some huge problems.

7 years ago

Just finished suicide squad,was a fun watch,thanks man

7 years ago

Well, it has no story at all, too many characters with almost no any kind of backstory or development (you won't be able to remember half of them in a day), a cringeworthy antagonist (admittedly, played by a beautiful woman, but that's not enough), the dialogs are terribly cliched - but yeah, there are tons of action. Joker isn't half bad, but we can't really tell if this character could be put on par with Nicholson's and Ledger's ones, it's just a cameo (and it's a good thing anyway, Jared Leto is way too talanted for such a level of writing).

7 years ago

If you want to see Suicide Squad, skip it and watch a better Suicide Squad film instead - Batman: Assault on Arkham, the film SS was actually based on

7 years ago

I really enjoyed "Hell or Highwater" which is a modern western... is great
also "The VVitch" (yes with 2 "v")
"Sing Street" is a movie that I haven't seen, but most of the movie YT channels I'm subscribed to say it's great (is on netflix btw)

7 years ago

War Dogs and The Nice Guys were hilarious movies in my opinion. :)

7 years ago

Somo movies still not mentioned, that just came out: Manchester by the sea (10/10!) La La Land (even if you are not into musicals it's a great movie.), Silence (Liam Neeson + XVII century Japan, Can't go wrong). I'm not sure if you can find those movies online since they are still playing in the theathers.

7 years ago

Oh,you can find them,if you look in the right places.

7 years ago

I mean in good/decent quality. It's not hard to find HDTS quality or lower.

7 years ago

True dat.

7 years ago

7 years ago

yep, definitely

7 years ago

Sully
The Magnificent Seven
Deepwater Horizon
The Accountant
Hell or High Water
Star Trek Beyond
Don't Breathe
Pete's Dragon
The Infiltrator
Everybody Wants Some!!
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Eddie the Eagle
A Hologram for the King
and others that i didn`t watch yet.

7 years ago

Sully was oscar bait, Magnificent Seven was a mediocre reboot, and Star Trek Beyond had too many plot holes. Other than those, I like your list!

7 years ago

Glad to hear that! ;^)

7 years ago

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was an especially endearing watch, and I can recommend you see Hacksaw Ridge, Doc Strange, Arrival, 10 Cloverfield Lane among others, really great films!

7 years ago

I saw only 10 Cloverfield Lane from this and was quite disappointed like with The Nice Guys or Hail, Caesar!

7 years ago

I liked The Nice Guys, but it didn't hold up to my expectations of Ryan Gosling and the other fella, I'm forgetting his name...

Have you seen The Man from UNCLE? It's a 2015 film and was pretty averagely reviewed by critics, but I loved it. Fantastic pacing, dialogue, plot, soundtrack, and not to forget it was like a live-action Archer. !!!

7 years ago

Uh-uh, i was pretty disappointed by this title. Weak plot without intrigue, too pathetic, so overpowered main heroes and i didn't like how were represent my old-country men. But i joyed Spy (by Paul Feig) as it was more stupid but funny and did't even pretended to be serious or have genius scenario. Something like that...

7 years ago

It was self-aware, that's why. It and Kingsmen both were pseudo parodies of the Spy genre and movies like Bond which take themselves too seriously. Spy was a great film, definitely the better spy thriller that year.

7 years ago

Nocturnal Animals, The Neon Demon, Elle (that is, if you don't restrict yourself to commercial cinematograph only, of course).

7 years ago

Hmmm let's see...

Zootopia for your animation fix.

Arrival for sci-fi/thriller. (mostly atmospheric)

The Handmaiden for Asian Cinema. Simply gorgeous to all senses.

La La Land for Canada, or if you like French-speaking films.

Dheepan for an another alternative fix though it's probably considered a 2015 film.

10 cloverfield lane was also decent for fans of thrillers, mainly due to Goodman's performance.

The Lobster if you really like weird/unique concepts, although a bit old, not enough audience has seen it.

Rogue One or Deadpool for your action fix.

I'd almost say Hacksaw Ridge for the War or real story fix, but some things in this film were too cliche or mediocre in execution for it to qualify.

Of course there's still a few films I wanna watch like Moonlight which will be probably amazing, but those for now will probably do...

7 years ago*

+1 for Arrival and The Handmaiden

7 years ago

I liked The Lobster but it's not for everyone i would say. It's weird, like Moonrise Kingdom or Holy Motors, that kind of movies.

Heard good things about La La Land, even tho it's not really my kind of movies but it's from the guy who did Whiplash, right ?

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 9 months ago.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.