Hey everyone,

Let's get this giveaway out of the way first. Standard no cheating rules apply.

Now, on to the point of this topic. I'm looking at potentially moving in a few months, and want some idea of what the sg community thinks of the different areas I'm looking at going next. Now, of course, there is a chance none of this will matter and I won't move, and there is also a chance I won't have a choice and my job is going to take me to Boston.

If I do end up moving on my own though, I have some questions for my sg family that lives in the 4 cities in the poll.

1: I know that pot is at least semi legal in all of these areas, for LA and Boston, how hard is it to actually get a medical card? (Yes I consider this a point in where I want to move, I enjoy pot so I might as well move somewhere it's not 100% illegal)¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2: For someone with no real qualifications, how hard is it to find a decent paying and hopefully full time position? I've got plenty of experience in retail and food service, including over half of my experience in management. I also have an Associate of Arts degree from a community college (I know it's not worth much

3: What neighbourhoods would you recommend for trying to stay safe and at the same time not destroy all of my savings and budgeting?

4: What is your favourite part of your city?

5: What is your least favourite part of your city?

6: Overall, would you recommend moving to your city?

Anyone who can answer, please do. So far I've only been to Denver for a few days and LA for an 18 hour layover on my last move when I came to Australia, and I loved both from what I saw of them. Being a tourist and living there are obviously very different though.

I should also mention that things like sports and weather have no impact on where I move. I enjoy going to games every once in a while for baseball and football, but it's not a selling point for me since I don't have any affiliation with the teams there. Weather doesn't really matter to me. I grew up with snow and rain doesn't bother me at all so I don't consider weather a selling point or a detering factor.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Where should I move?

View Results
Denver
Boston
Los Angeles
Seattle

i have no idea, as i'm not even from the states.
but at the risk of starting a war. pot is not good for you, it is as bad as Cigarettes. maybe more

also, you want a place where people use drugs but for it to be safe? Beverly hills ;)

Edit: Stay in Australia

7 years ago

No war necessary. I understand that it can have some negative effects, as well as the positives it can have. Realistically, I enjoy what I enjoy and I don't really care how it could potentially hurt my body. Life is meant to be lived, and I plan to do that. I smoke cigarettes, drink, and occasionally smoke some pot and do something a little harder as well. It's what I enjoy so I'll continue to enjoy it. I know the risks, they just don't bother me.

7 years ago

i doubt you know the risksss (yes, plural). but enjoy your life, just know it might be a short one and a painful one later on.
cheers

7 years ago

You underestimate how much I have researched the drugs I enjoy doing. I know the risks with all of them, and I know that it can lead to a lot of pain later in life with some of the ones I do, especially if I get a bad batch. Again though, the risks don't really bother me. Fact is I already know that they are there and the chances of me living long enough for them to affect me are rather low, so again, I will enjoy what I enjoy. Realistically I only have about 10 years left to live anyway, so I might as well enjoy the rest of it to the fullest.

7 years ago

in that case.
enjoy life

7 years ago

That's my plan. Enjoying life to it's fullest sounds a lot better than living the rest of it having to attach myself to a machine 1-5 times a week and be in pain that I can't manage.

7 years ago

almost no risks if you vape, millions of ppl do it for decades & feel better (of course if you don't feel good enough without it)

7 years ago

so wrong.
ask iflirtwithanyone he seems to know what he is talking about.

7 years ago

Sorry, but that is being a bit naive. It is potentially less harmful then normal cigarettes or tobacco but where there is money to be made people will use shoddy products, materials or chemicals to increase their profits.
Edit: Depending on the country there may be less or no regulations at all in comparison to regular cigarettes and tobacco.

7 years ago

I smoke for over 20 yrs and grow mj myself for over 8 yrs, my stuff is clear)

7 years ago

There are risks to smoking marijuna, regardless of how you do it. Even vaping still carries some risk. Regardless of what you smoke, it produces tar that sticks in your lungs. Vaping, however, produces very little in comparison to other forms of smoking. Studies have shown that it can remove up to 95% of the smoke and carcinogens that you would receive from combustion.

That said, there are also the risks of addiction and other psychological factors. One thing that I hear people say a lot is that "it's not addictive."

That's a load of shit. If it wasn't addictive you wouldn't see stoners that literally do nothing but sit on the couch smoking pot. You wouldn't see people pass up jobs because they don't want to quit for 30 days to clear it out of their system to pass a test. You wouldn't see people sit around and smoke instead of doing their homework or whatever else. It may not be as addictive as other drugs, and certainly no where near the most addictive, but it does hold many psychological addictive properties.

All of that said, like I said before, I am willing to look past those risk factors. The fact is that the tar produced, while yes it is harmful, is not likely to contain enough carcinogens to really hurt you that much unless you are smoking cigarettes as well or introducing other carcinogens to your body as well. While the psychological addiction is possible, there are ways to overcome it and it's a much easier addiction to break than most. you simply have to realise what's going on and realise that you can quit and start anew when 30-60 days passes and it's out of your system if you need to pass a drug test or whatever. I've seen people throw their lives away and continue to work as a cashier at McDonald's so they could easily keep smoking pot, meanwhile passing up guaranteed jobs that they would just need to pass 1 drug test for. I've also seen people who are highly successful that smoke crack on the weekends. Everything you put into your body comes with risks, but being able to manage them is the key.

7 years ago

i agree, everything needs conscious approach, and i assure you im 100% addicted since day 1 (hard not to get addicted to stuff that momentarily cures you from multiple neurosis symptoms), and also every person has different physiology, brain chemistry, the effects may vary greatly.. for me it's also a sacred spirit plant (combined with yoga practices), so i take all the risks gladly, and for now i feel better than anytime before)

7 years ago

You're moving FROM Australia? OK Turnbull isn't great but you'll be heading to a Trump Dynasty....

7 years ago

Mate, I move a LOT. I was born and raised in Cleveland, but I've also lived in Richmond VA, Tokyo, Melbourne, Harrisburg PA and Chatham County NC.

7 years ago

Where should I move?

Come to Warsaw! CD Project and 11-bit Studio are recruiting :P

7 years ago

I actually considered Warsaw, my family is from Poland originally. At least part of it is.

7 years ago

Ha, that's quite a surprising twist ^^ What stops you from coming here then? :P

7 years ago

Mostly leaving my family behind. I don't talk to many of them anymore but the ones I do I'd like to be close to them, and they are all in the states. I'll likely travel to Europe and Warsaw but it will be just to travel more than likely.

7 years ago

Fair enough, good luck with your moving then! :) And when you'll be in Poland we shall drink some beer together :)

7 years ago

Isn't that illegal? I thought you were only allowed vodka in Poland.

In all seriousness my great grandmother is from there and her stories of how beautiful it is have always made me want to visit. Though stealing her chocolates from Poland at 3 was a horrible choice lol. Filled with vodka cream

7 years ago

Vodka is such a common thing we don't even mention it anymore - it is too obvious. We always say what kind of chaser we're going to use instead :P

Anything related to vodka is never a bad choice, stop it. Does your grandma live in Warsaw? :)

7 years ago

No, she lives in the states now, can't remember exactly where she grew up but they fled during WWII and I'm not sure she has ever been back, too old to travel that now unfortunately but I'd love to get some pictures of her home for her

7 years ago

I'm in, do I need any experience?

7 years ago

Yup, in such a big companies experience is definitely needed :P

7 years ago

I have lived life and experienced much. The births of my children, the deaths of those close to me, the highs of a reckless teen with nothing to lose and the reality of life with all its relentless depressive power. I have seen lights in the sky that I could not rationally explain and have suffered consequences from actions for which I had none but myself to blame. I have grown with my family, supported and loved, which was meaningless when secrets were revealed under the inevitability of time and a love of a different kind. You ask if I need experience, well I tell you...I have experience. I just want my name in the credits of Cyperpunk 2077.

7 years ago

Can't help with advice, but thanks!

7 years ago

Not idea here... Have a bump anyway!

7 years ago

Thankss for the ga , and bump !
I actually don't have an idea about the cities. But first of all you need to found what kind of life that you want.

7 years ago

bamp

7 years ago

If you end up in Boston, Jamaica Plain is a good area just south of downtown Boston. Alternatively, Somerville is another area that is safe/relatively cheap on the North side of the River in the Cambridge area.

7 years ago

Boston is a real possibility thanks to my job, but we'll see if that ever happens or if I end up moving before anything happens there (it could be a couple years and I don't really wanna wait that long) thanks for the advice on areas!

7 years ago

Watch out for feral ghouls if you go to Jamaica Plain.
Source - Fallout 4

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago*

Which you wouldn't think would be the case with it having the most stringent anti-gun laws in the US! But I believe it is one of the States with one of the highest (if not *the highest) gun related crimes/injuries/deaths, isn't it?

Yikes! A two year old and an eleven year old? Were they all separate incidents, or was it a family?

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Wow. What an utter travesty. :(

7 years ago

+1 Stay far away from Chicago and immediate vicinity.
In fact, Illinois in general sucks.

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Yes, replacing the guy who got shot or stabbed the night before.

7 years ago

Not from the states so I don't have the necessary knowledge to make a decision. But have a bump!

7 years ago

I'm not from the states, I won't be very helpful.
So here's a bump ^^

7 years ago

I'm not from the US, but I've visited all. Seattle is the most unique one, I'd say. Also, it has so much nature around it (Bainbridge island just across the bay) so if you are at least a bit a fan of the outdoors you'll be always happy.

7 years ago

I've never been to the US, but you can have this TrBump! :)

7 years ago

I don't live in the US (I'm Canadian), so all I can offer you is a bump (and a touque).:)

7 years ago

I've been to Los Angeles and Seattle but just for a week or so; I couldn't give you any useful advice. Good luck with whatever you decided to do.

7 years ago

I live in Oregon, so you got the states right above and below me, lol. I have an Uncle in Boston, and that's where we had a family reunion last summer. The streets downtown were crazy, not only were they confusing (which would probably change if you drove them often), but the traffic was horrible... Anyways, I don't really know a whole lot about living in any of those places. I've only visited them all (only barely Seattle, though. But we drive through it a lot on our way to Canada).

7 years ago

I'm actually interested in Oregon as well. Portland seems like a pretty chill place, just wasn't my top 4 lol

7 years ago

Your selling points are different from mine so all I will offer is this bump :)

7 years ago

bump

7 years ago

I'm afraid living in europe i can be of no help, but have a bump so someone else can

7 years ago

i don't do large cities and that's the only options, so all i can offer is a bu^^p. thanks!

7 years ago

Sorry can't help you with advice 😭
bump

7 years ago

I only have experience with Seattle as we lived near it when i was very young. I would avoid it unless your not a fan of the sun and love rain. It is considered dreary as its cloudy most of the year and it rains almost every other day. I love living in the South now where its sunny and warm most of the year.

7 years ago

Can't help with choosing your destination since I'm from Italy...
But thank you for the giveaway, and good luck (wherever you will move to)

7 years ago

i know literally nth about this cities so sry no help from me :)

7 years ago

I like Seattle, but Australia is better!).
https://youtu.be/7jGsC1pKX5g

View attached image.
7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago by grootbutmadeofbamboo.