Hello and welcome to my first puzzle/quiz tryout (remake of first topic since the close button is way too close to the edit button.... Sorry <.<)

This is a mathmatical quiz / puzzle, at around a new high schooler level, and if not you could quickly look up some stuff and try to figure it out by that, anyways... As the title says, it is for Portal 2!

Giveaway ends the 24/6/12 - Which means you have a little more than 6 days.

Start here!

If you're not into the puzzles.. You can enter my first giveaway here!

Do leave a comment on what you think is good, or if I made an error, because that would suck, but otherwise, best of luck!

IMPORTANT: Seems like I made a typo on question 3, it's supposed to be: ...+ 4^(-0.5) -... Sorry for the confusion!

IMPORTANT: If you run into a question and you don't think it has an answer, try 0 in an Ascii table and type that in (begin with capital letter) - Oh and it is not the char you type in, it is the description.

IMPORTANT: Part 2, question 3 is lacking a + sign. 1st line is supposed to be 3x + 4y - 23 = 0, again.. So sorry!

IMPORTANT: Part 2, question 5... I was an idiot.. The middle part of it is "x = 3", instead of 2.9 as it really should have been since I was looking at it wrong. Sorry >.<

IMPORTANT: Part 3, question 4... I have no idea what I was doing, the correct answers are "B = 26.2, C = 33.8, a = 9.03" but somehow I managed to screw that up. If you hit those numbers, you are awesome! Here's the answer that I ... for some reason put in there. "a = 3.9, B = 52.3, C = 85.7" Again.. Terribly sorry for these mistakes.

IMPORTANT: Part 4, question 5.. Yet another typo.. I am so awesome with these, sorry for all the confusion. 1st line is: "2y - 3x + 6 = 0"

IMPORTANT: Part 5, question 3.. People seem to have a bit of trouble with this some about the wording. When I say add the function I just mean we have two seperate functions in the same coordinate system.

A little hint for you people, if you're having problems with part 2 question 2, remember what you can and what you cannot divide with.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I really cannot do any puzzles that involve math or numbers.

1 decade ago

Where did all the other comments disappear?

1 decade ago

Read the first part of the thread... :<

1 decade ago

Mildan can you answer for my little question from previous thread? (if its too big help, then write it, pls) "There are four digits as answer. Two below 0 and two above 0. First two are in {-1,0) and second two in {2,4} (if we count answer mistake it'll be {3,4}). Is this right? If yes... i dont know how to format it well..."

1 decade ago

Uhm... I am not quite sure what you mean =/

1 decade ago

I try to ask you if part 2, Q5 answer is from right distance of digits (I don`t want to post accurate answer in thread).

1 decade ago

The trigonometry one.. question 2.. I think I simply don't understand the question. The way it is worded. My original guess about its interpretation gave me wrong answer..

1 decade ago

Pretend you have a straight line, and then sin(v) = 0.2863 is the line that seperates the two angles.

1 decade ago

Still don't get it. sin(v) = 0.2863 has many solutions where sin(v) crosses the line y = 0.2863. I thought you want the angle between sin(v) curve and the y = 0.2863 line, but the answer I get with that is wrong. Can't see other meaning of this question.

1 decade ago

I think you are overthinking on this one.
If you have a straight line, and then add sin(v) = 0.2863 you can find the angle by doing something that corresponds to sinus.

1 decade ago

=_= OK I got it, thanks.

1 decade ago

an answer can be like: x = 4 + 3i ??
having problems on part2, 4&5

1 decade ago

There are no complex numbers in this quiz, because complex numbers aren't "real".

1 decade ago

so.. q4 part2, I have tried -8x^2 + 8x - 3 = 0, -(8x)^2 + 8x - 3 = 0 and (-8x)^2 + 8x - 3 = 0 no correct answer w/o complex

1 decade ago

If you can't figure it out then look at the original post again, and try to locate the hint.

1 decade ago

how to write number with decimal? with the dot '.', or ',' , and how many decimal digits?
tnx

1 decade ago

It should be in the format thing.. But it with a dot, and with answers with multiple decimals you should round up or down to the nearest and only use 1 decimal.

1 decade ago

I've solved x on part 2, question 1 but I don't understand how to enter it. I've tried every possible combination I could think of. Does the x = xx.x part mean we should just replace the x's with the answer?

1 decade ago

It means that you should write a number, put the dot if it has a decimal and then the first decimal after rounding up or down.

1 decade ago

But my answer is just a single digit. Is that wrong?

Edit: never mind, I was confused about x being on both sides, but I got it now =)

1 decade ago

stuck on question 4

1 decade ago

I'm trying to use the second hint but I don't get the ascii part. I don't know what to enter where.

1 decade ago

I also don't get the ASCII thing regarding 0, nor do I get Q2 P1. The answer is a single digit, but x = # doesn't work.
This is really pissing me off. 30 sec wait times and the most rigid accepting system...
Not to mention the numerous errors. Here's another. Q2 P2: The text equation is different than the picture equation. The text is incorrect.

1 decade ago

Make sure you have a space surrounding the = sign.

1 decade ago

I swear to God I had the spaces and it was rejected. It was in the AutoComplete indicating I had already tried it, yet now it works. I give up with Q2 P4. I'm dense as shit with that vague hint.

1 decade ago

why don't u redo the puzzles with 0 mistakes and post another thread here, in turn you apologize again and maybe remove p2q5?..

1 decade ago

I'll consider it.. But for now going to bed, I am sorry but I hope my "IMPORTANT" messages will help you guys out in the meanwhile =/

1 decade ago

I'm stuck at Q3, last part. I'm not used to solve math in English, so i don't quite understand how to "add a linear function onto the first function"
How would the function look like after this transformation?

1 decade ago

You have two seperate functions in one coordinate system, and then you can do some calculations from that.

1 decade ago

but there what is considered answer here?

1 decade ago

Are you saying the linear function is g(x) and asking us to add f(x) and g(x)
Because that would be, how many answers to (f+g)(x)=0?
That would still be 2, which isn't the answer.

1 decade ago

Remember that it's a numerical value you're dealing with...

1 decade ago

Any hint for Q4? I don't know if I'm missing something with my English, but I have tried everything and nothing :( only this one left.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

Part 2 Question 2 has a typo

1 decade ago

Part 2 Question 4 - The answer is typo'd

1 decade ago

Edit Yea still confused about part 2 question 5. I should have the right numbers.

1 decade ago

x = ?, x = 3, x = ?

1 decade ago

Man, this is ridiculous. I'm absolutely sure I got the right numbers, but not certain how to answer it.
Lowest to top, does that mean a big negative number is lowest or is it top?
And does 1 decimal means 1 decimal place for all answers, or does it mean only 1 of the answers are a decimal.
And does the mistake mean x=3 or x=3.0 with the decimal rule....

1 decade ago

x = #.#, x = 3, x = #.#

1 decade ago

Thanks, I finally got this one.

1 decade ago

You Math Wizards have confuzzled me on Q4/P1, I know I have my format right, I tried 2 of them, with parenthesis and without and still wrong!

1 decade ago

try to put space between numbers and signs

1 decade ago

I tried that too.

1 decade ago

Hey thanks for the nice puzzle gotta beat part 2 now keep em coming!

1 decade ago

Can't solve Q5 in part 2 still... that's ridiculous, I know I have the right result but still doesn't work...

1 decade ago

I made a mistake, so if you have the right middle number you're awesome, but look at the original post and get the answer there. I made a mistake and it's causing a lot of confusion, sorry =/

1 decade ago

I finally got it ;) almost done with the third part too!

1 decade ago

I honestly have no idea how I'm going to get a real solution on Q4 in part 2. You're saying I should use the hint here, but the hint doesn't make any sense to me.

1 decade ago

If you run into a question that you don't think has an answer...

It's in the thread and if you still can't figure it out then idk.. I made it quite simple imho.

1 decade ago

Okay, that makes sense. I should have known that as a programmer.

On to part three!

1 decade ago

I'm on part 5, Q3... I don't understand the question, should I literally add 0.25x + 2 to the function? Like this? |x^2 - 8x + 12 + 0.25x + 2|

1 decade ago

Nevermind I've got it ;)

1 decade ago

Still really confused, what is he trying to ask us to do?

1 decade ago

i would like to know that too

1 decade ago

Guys, check the original post.. I have tried to make it a bit clearer for you since a lot of you didn't understand what I mean by it.

1 decade ago

how can solution to Q4 in p2 be real number when discriminant is negative

1 decade ago

It isn't.. Maybe that will clear it up for you?

1 decade ago

got it, but now im stuck on q4 in p4, i have no clue what is that question saying

1 decade ago

Stuck on question 4 >< And my english is so bad... I don't understand "important" or a little but confusing for me :/

1 decade ago

P3 Q1, is c the segment AC, AB or CB? Same for a and b ?_?
edit: found it, for those in the same situation c = AB

1 decade ago

Check wiki triangle image for this.

1 decade ago

Stuck at P2 Q4 for half an hour already, no idea how to insert the equation due to the discriminant being negative >.<

1 decade ago

Am equally puzzled in Q3 Last puzzle. I do not comprehend what the question wants! HAHA!

1 decade ago

already have portal 2, but still trying to solve this, for the lulz =P (the P2 it's .... i don't know why i can't get the results O.o)

1 decade ago

If you're unsure, then check the original post again to see if there was something you missed.. There are a couple of errors on my part, and that really sucks. So sorry =/
But I do hope you make it!

1 decade ago

don't feel bad, we all make mistakes ... i still can't get over P2 xd (Q2 and Q4 to be more accurate, in Q4 i keep seeing an imaginary friend >.<)

edit: on Q2 there is a typo, right? ....and still can't go throug q4 >.<

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Mildan.