Voidpoint, the developers behind Ion Fury, apologized after it was revealed the team made sexist and transphobic statements in their developer Discord channel. The team also added homophobic language into Ion Fury itself. In a pair of statements from Voidpoint and publisher 3D Realms, the two companies said it will patch out the offensive language from the game, and Voidpoint promised to pledge $10,000 to the LGBT non-profit, The Trevor Project.

Over the weekend a Resetera forum thread published screen captures from the Voidpoint Discord channel that showed the Ion Fury developers make disparaging statements towards the LGBT community, specifically at the trans community.

In one screencap, Ion Fury lead developer Terminx writes, “Yeah if you’re trying to decide your child is trans at birth you have mental problems and probably shouldn’t be a parent [in my opinion].” In another screencap a different Ion Fury developer, Daedolon, asks, “[B]ut mutilating a perfectly healthy body WHILE you have depression and other big mental issues won’t [cause suicides]?”

IGN reached out to Voidpoint and Ion Fury publisher 3D Realms regarding the validity of these Discord chat conversations, and Voidpoint responded this to be the case in a statement. Voidpoint also admitted to adding homophobic language into the game itself.

“Members of Voidpoint’s Ion Fury team have made sexist and transphobic comments, and included homophobic language in Ion Fury,” writes Voidpoint.

In a full statement, the developers apologized for their comments, and pledged to donate $10,000 from Ion Fury’s release day proceeds to The Trevor Project. Here’s Voidpoint’s full statement below:
"We recognize these statements are insensitive, unacceptable, and counterproductive to causes of equality. We unequivocally apologize both for these comments and language as well as for any pain they have caused the gaming community, particularly women and members of the LGBTQ community. We take full responsibility for any damage that has been done to the relationships we've worked so hard to build.

Moving forward, Voidpoint will institute a zero-tolerance policy for this type of language and all employees and contractors will undergo mandatory sensitivity training. As part of our efforts to contribute to the work that must be done to further support these communities, we are donating $10,000 from Ion Fury's release day proceeds to The Trevor Project. We are also patching Ion Fury ASAP to remove all unacceptable language."

Ion Fury publisher 3D Realms also issued a statement, saying that in the future 3D Realms will sever relationships with any developer that breaks the company's zero-tolerance policy for hate speech.
“It has come to our attention Voidpoint, the developers of Ion Fury, have been accused of making transphobic and misogynistic statements, and included homophobic language in the game which was not approved by us.

Under current leadership, 3D Realms has taken pride empowering marginalized groups, as evident by our strong female protagonist Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison and the makeup of our team.

Moving forward all of 3D Realms’ contracts will include terms which would allow us to sever relationships if a contractor does not abide by our zero-tolerance policy for hate speech, and Ion Fury will be patched ASAP to remove all unacceptable language."

Ion Fury was released on August 15, 2019 for PC and utilizes the EDuke32 engine. It is a fork of the Build engine which was used to develop classic 90s FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood. Ion Fury was previously titled, Ion Maiden before the music band Iron Maiden threatened to sue over IP infringement.

"https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/19/ion-fury-devs-are-donating-10000-after-backlash-over-transphobic-comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXtJ8_kqO1M
https://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Fury/

Yet people still give the game negative review, because they removed the offensive stuff and caved in, no matter what decision they made they seemingly couldn't do anything right anymore after that?

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Any details on what that homophobic language in the game is? I mean, those loonies from Resetera managed to find Crash Team Racing racist so I'm taking everything from them with a grain of salt.

4 years ago

From what I saw on the Steam Forum it's about a Soapbottle(?) called "ogay" and a secret area in which you can find the word “fagbag.

4 years ago

Does that mean they will remove OGAY from the stores, damn...that was some fine soap :I

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

I'm offended that you're offended that they're offended.

View attached image.
4 years ago

The kinds of deviants they bent the knee to pictured below - they are only the mouthpiece, its the greater political agenda propagated to keep average Joe in conflict, distracted and with it weakened. None of which would be possible without the concentrated media/financial efforts/support ... despite being HIGHLY unpopular.

Some idiots might even be subverted or supporting whats dysfunctional (on many levels) and downright devious. Usually though
said individuals are so fucked in the head and likely otherwise afflicted as well, that they not only can't be reasoned with, they are a lost cause. Not to worry ... though, vidya is only a step and will likely be ultimately rendered into modern day tv/mv's - utter garbage that still gets bought. Soon it'll be the next thing you know.

View attached image.
4 years ago*

fire the devs and call Anita, i heard she needs a job

4 years ago

You mean, BioWare didn't hire her after making ANTHEM a big success with her imput?

4 years ago

apparently facebook skills and targeted harassment didn't count for job experience

4 years ago

Last I saw she was trying to threaten CD Project Red into hiring her... no different from the people on that forum, using threats of online mobs to get their way.

4 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago

Its a predatory/extortion procedure to screw people/businesses "your employee xy works here, this and that are his views, do you
agree with them, why do you employ them ... etc." Basically threatening them with public backlash/smearing if they don't "comply".
They do this out of malice and sometimes as targeted harassment, if they smell the money or a viable target.

4 years ago*

Finding things in poor tastes, and remaining annoyed after an apology... makes you a deviant now?

4 years ago

There's a simple truth, especially nowadays, that people get in far greater trouble for the things they say as opposed to what they do. And if you find yourself in hot water because of something you say, don't apologize for it. You have the first amendment for a reason. People may not like what you said, but since when did people you don't know dictate the things you say or your opinions? I'm so sick of this PC nonsense because it only leads to mobs silencing harsh truths that hurt their feelings, even as they hypocritically express what horse manure they revere as a sacred cow.

4 years ago

And the Oppression Olympics continue
HONK HONK

Can I everytime I get shittalked on Rocket League call for heterophobia? Grow some skin, people.

4 years ago

You can, but only after you get reamed for generations by law and culture, with violent repercussions, dehumanisation, and forced into silence as not to draw attention to your mere existence and the shitstorms it brings, and so forth ;P When's the last time you heard of someone being disowned and thrown onto the streets for being straight?

Besides, I tend to find they're a weird correlation between people dismissively parrot the stance of "get a thicker skin" towards prejudice-related subjects, and meltdowns over total non-issues like superhero movies, celebrity tweets, and patch notes.

4 years ago

You completely missed my point. My example was that it shouldn't come down to my sexuality, if someone is mouthing off against me.
If I shittalk a gay person, I should do so without being called a homophobe just because that person is homosexual. Like it's some kind of protection from any offense. I have some gay friends, and I jokingly tease them and "offend" them all the time, just as they do to me. It's called being friends, and treating each other equally.That's what I mean with growing a skin. Stop being such a victim all the time. Enjoy life for once. Enjoy interaction with people, not everything and everyone is out to get you. And here I thought my dog was paranoid lol
If society keeps treating certain people like they're something special, a group that has to be seperated from the mainstream, then it will NEVER be normalized. Stop treating gay people like your pet projects. They're as much human as you and me. Neither do they deserve to be put on a pedestal nor be kicked down because of their sexuality. You want equality? Treat everyone equally!

4 years ago

No, being an asshole towards someone in a general sense doesn't make you prejudiced. Being an asshole towards someone but fuelled by an aspect of identity (sexuality, gender, sex, race, culture, etc) does however make it some form of prejudice. Whether merely prejudicially motivated, or the act or words prejudiced themselves. Despite what the lunatic fringe of social-media dwelling equality advocates might suggest, that does also include sentiments directed against the heterosexual, caucasians, and men.

However people aren't angry with that one person from the discord because they were mouthing off at someone 'in general', they are angry because they were regurgitating talking points that are almost always found to be very disingenuous. Those sentiments were directly towards a marginalised group, and a group who is a current political subject no less, while operating under the face of a commercial entity. That's a whole football field of seperation.

And yes, I believe you probably do shit-talk and have fun with your friends on that level. Only it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the difference in expected response if you were to say "I fucked your mom" to a close friend while clowning around, and if you said it to strangers in public as an opening line. Nobody expressed annoyance / disgust at that one dev member for fucking around with friends.

Neither of your points are relevent to the subject being discussed, to the point of being outright off-topic.

4 years ago

TL;DR incoming. You're forgiven if you don't want to get into this ;P

This is an extremely common pattern with detractors that claim to not be invested or biased, and that at any given point, they're 'just sayin'. They talk a whole lot of dismissive asides, totally ignore the root cause that can be understood with a meagre amount of consideration or empathy, and then project fault upon those that reacted while also giving a free pass to the party that sparked it (either through total omission of remarks, or token acknowledgement followed by absolute disregard).

The types of remarks or talking points shown from the discord are (IMO) almost never brought up as lucid parts of a present and salient discussion, but rather are injected at any given opportunity wherever they feel they have an audience, and are spoken like a pre-recorded idealogue. I find they get thrown out like a rhetorical performance for the crowd, read like attempts at drawing an association between blatantly wrong individuals and all people that share a single trait with them. Usually with some coating of prime buzzwords for good measure. In the case of trans stuff, you get 'delusion', 'degenerate', 'pervert', 'predator', with a few more general buzzwords in the mix like 'entitled', 'forcing us', 'protect children', 'mental disease', 'SJW', 'easily offended', etc. It's like a weird adult vocabulary version of STRANGER DANGER, feeding anecdotes until the (actually) uninvested are converted just enough to become viable transport vectors for the social meme. It sounds harmless, and on its own or in tiny numbers I guess it would be, but when this behaviour is more widespread and those sentiments take root, it has a very real effect on informing biases, and therefore voting and policy that limit or influence said target demographic. I mean, I've said it elsewhere in this thread but I'll repeat it here : It's 2019, and the states, a place that repeatedly touts its 'freedoms', only just legalised gay marriage five years ago. Politlcally speaking, that's practically yesterday :P That's how effective the spread of idealogues through disingenuous anecdotes can be. That's why it's not 'just' childish words when someone happily spouts it in public while wearing their companys uniform.

Even if we were to operate under the assumption that the outrage was unjustified and jumped the gun, we can take a cursory glance at the pattern of boldness there, and the childish jokes in the game, and see why they came to the conclusion of acting in bad faith. Someone here in this thread even noted there is a potential subject they could have been discussing judging from the remarks they made (a specific article doing the rounds), but even that turned out to be a fabricated slander-piece, which was conveniently spun by people claiming to be impartial. Hell there were even left-leaning people just devouring it and eating the rhetoric up wholesale until someone did some digging to find out the truth under it.
It's a long watch, but the deconstruction and 'truth reveal' of the subject is here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjHn6QEgh4

The information age combined with interested parties is some scary shit, man. When you switch off your mind and your empathy you can quickly find yourself acting like a zombie node in the DDoS of some political push. Nobody says you have to give a shit about any one thing. I mean, we get it, life is exhausting at the best of times, and time, energy and your mood is worth guarding. But if your ultimate goal is to deprogram divisiveness and promote unity ("see people, don't seeing peoples skin, sex, etc"), then your scoffing remark of 'oppression olympics' while avoiding the actual subject actually has a different effect to that. If you want to dodge it for your own sanity then do so by all means, but at least go full hands-off and don't jump in when you see a free catharsis snack at the expense of a minority, y'know? :P

I still find it hypocritical that the people who so often echo the chant about 'getting a thicker skin' are often only saying it because they got annoyed the subject dared enter their peripheral vision. That, and how often said people enter meltdown mode over other things that are far more trivial than the holding pattern of cultural attitudes. Particularly within gaming communities, which by the same group association being flung out, have a far worse track record for overreacting.

4 years ago

View attached image.
4 years ago

I miss the school times when someone insults you, you insult them back.

Don't let they know about this medicine

View attached image.
4 years ago

imagine crying on the internet about your feelings getting hurt and nobody gives a flying fuck.
that would be my novel idea for 2020.

update: looks like i upset & triggered a soy boy with only two sentences. good riddance!

4 years ago*

Sounds like the only one "triggered" on here is you, lmao. Fragile af.

4 years ago

Refunding in 3,2,1.

4 years ago

They've capitulated. We've got 'em on the ropes, boys! Keep calling them racists and they'll be out of business in no time!

4 years ago

I'm genderqueer myself and I didn't find their statement "Yeah if you’re trying to decide your child is trans at birth you have mental problems and probably shouldn’t be a parent" to be offensive. It's a misunderstanding of how trans people actually live their lives and how dissatisfaction with one's gender may in fact manifest early in certain kids' lives (not always, though). What they PROBABLY mean is "I don't think you should be gender neutral with your child and let them 'decide' for themselves if they're a boy or a girl", which I have a bit of an issue with because a kid should be able to do what he wants within reason if it makes him or her happy. If the boy likes to wear dresses, let him wear dresses. If the girl wants to be Spider-Man, let her be Spider-Man. Learning about yourself and what you like is a part of childhood and shouldn't be stifled. Again, I don't consider it transphobic, more of a misunderstanding. I mean, at some point, people need to realize that people who don't experience gender dysphoria will never truly understand what it's like to have it. They will never 100% get it, and that's okay that they don't 100% get it.

If anything, I'm more leery of homophobic jokes because it's been how many decades? We should be over this. The only people that are saying "ugh, the gays are shoving their sexuality down our throats" obviously don't watch rock or hip-hop or rap music videos and see the hypocrisy of that statement, as a simple example of how yes, heterosexuality still romps around freely in our day-to-day lives, yadda yadda.

Transgenderism is still a fairly new concept for the public to take seriously compared to homosexuality, so I will give a tiny bit of slack for it not clicking with some people (I will not tolerate insinuations that trans people are pedophiles or sexual predators, however). As for the anti-gay jokes? Fuck off with that, they're not funny.

4 years ago

i love lamp... and carpet. oh and cheeseburgers.

4 years ago

If it's on Resetera it should just be ignored.

4 years ago

What if a gay person uses homophobic slur to insult someone, does it make them homophobic?

4 years ago

Ion Fury sorta reminds me of Ion Storm

Here is a long read on the doomed studio: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/the-history-of-ion-storm/

4 years ago

A new announcement on their Steam news page:

Ion Fury Game Content Will Not Be Censored
AUG 26 @ 7:25AM - TERMINX
Joint statement from Voidpoint and 3D Realms:

We’ve caused a recent controversy suggesting Ion Fury game content was to be censored.

We will absolutely NOT be censoring Ion Fury or any of our other games, now or in the future, including but not limited to by removing gags such as gaming’s most controversial facial wash.

We do not support censorship of creative works of any kind and regret our initial decision to alter a sprite in the game instead of trusting our instincts. 3D Realms and Voidpoint stand together on this matter.

Last but not least, please respect our need to keep our community forums clean from hateful messages, spam, or off-topic threads. We recognize our mistake and have received your message loud and clear!

So it would seem they are not patching the soap out of the game. Not sure if this means the text in the hidden room requiring noclip will stay as well.

4 years ago

Does new 3D Realms know when to shut up?
This was a long learning process...well, at least they have learned that apologizing leads no where. And accepted being a niche publisher.
If they decide not to work with Voidpoint in the future, that is up to them, removing content however, i dont think it is the way to go.

I should point out, that the developer did not want to remove the content, therefore 3D Realms was in fact trying to censor it. But i think the backlash made them realize it was a no win situation, i dont think they have an opinion on the matter, rather just trying to defuse a bomb

4 years ago

Does new 3D Realms know when to shut up?

I agree with that sentiment - They could've just walked away from their controversy like they did the Iron Maiden suit, although I think 3D Realms had a chance at defending that.

This game has gotten so much controversy around between the former Ion Maiden name & logo, dev Discord remarks, and the in-game stuff that I can't help but wonder if some small part of any of this controversy is welcomed by the devs or publisher as a means to get more media attention on the premise that any press is good press.

4 years ago

I will never support censorship. If you don't like something, don't buy it.

My reasoning is simple. If when they come after something I don't like, I don't fight it against the blind masses, then nobody will be there when they come after something I do like

4 years ago

Admirable sentiment.

4 years ago

Ehh, I don't know how I feel about this. They implement a zero-tolerance policy against 'hate speech' in response to what their employees said, but later they backtrack and say they're against censorship? They apologise for what they called 'homophobic' jokes but then won't patch it out? Smells like having a cake and choking on it.

Honestly, -rep to them for doing this. In my opinion, if you're gonna take a stance, stick to it, even if that's a stance I wouldn't take. Unless I'm missing something...? :|

4 years ago

I believe they did, between mandatory sensitivity training, a donation, employees risking losing their jobs or risking 3D Realms terminating contract with voidpoint. Doubt, any one of them will make similar comments through their work account ever again.

The game however, is done and customers already paid for it.
drawing a comparison with Shadow Warrior Classic, i don't find the game to be particularly funny, i know i'm not the only one to think it's all lame stereotypes. but if my steam copy were to get patched, i would likely tell them to f themselves. And i dont even like it.

4 years ago

It's just weird to me that they'd commit to doing all that and then try and say they're also against censorship just to ease their customers ._.

But yeah, the humour is all o' that boring juvenile crap, I agree with you there. I don't think I'd like the game much either, but to each their own 🤷‍♂️

4 years ago

just saw a steam announcement. apparently the devs will not be censoring there game witch is good.

"We do not support censorship of creative works of any kind and regret our initial decision to alter a sprite in the game instead of trusting our instincts. 3D Realms and Voidpoint stand together on this matter."

4 years ago

wow i went afk without finishing the post. didnt know i was gone over an hr and some else posted same thing. whatever

4 years ago

I guess they weighed in the number of angry customers over the number of angry SJWs and the 1st won them over.

4 years ago

4 years ago

“Yeah if you’re trying to decide your child is trans at birth you have mental problems and probably shouldn’t be a parent [in my opinion].”
“[B]ut mutilating a perfectly healthy body WHILE you have depression and other big mental issues won’t [cause suicides]?”

I see nothing wrong with these statements. People are really fucking sensitive these days and the lgbioiqfoijwft community is the top of them. I really wouldnt care about the outraged babies.

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.