https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/cart/

Good news is, they don't use our beloved $1=€1, as Europe get's it for €700. And that's still without shipping.

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

THE PRICE

View attached image.
8 years ago

Yeah, I remember how they said "$350 or something around that" :P

8 years ago

Agreed.

Duck them... --.--

Waiting for HTC Vive / recommendations....

8 years ago

from totalbiscuit
"Well, the Oculus is up for preorder and some people are surprised by the $600 pricetag. I'm not exactly sure where people got the impression that the first piece of true consumer-ready VR was actually going to be cheap tech. We are talking about the cutting edge of what is possible with gaming right now, a device that has multiple high resolution, high framerate displays, minaturised and built right into it, advanced head tracking technology and god knows what else. We are also talking about a device that frankly is not, initially, going to run well on the PC hardware that the mass market owns.

If you want to game on this thing, you're going to need a pretty beastly PC. The PC requirements were recently revealed and they are a GTX 970/ AMD 290, along with an upper end i5 processor or equivalent. That is not the average PC, and why would it be? This thing renders at 2160x1200, that's 233 million pixels. 1080p is 207 million. Not only that, but VR tech is designed to run at high framerates in order to reduce motion sickness and blur. According to the FAQ on the site, the two modes it supports at 75 and 90fps. Can your computer run most demanding modern games at 1080p, 90fps? If so congratulations, you are on the enthusiast level and you are the target audience for early adoption of the Rift. If you can't well, before spending $600 on a Rift, maybe think about spending that $600 on upgrades for your PC instead.

Eventually, VR will be mass market tech, I dont have any doubt of that. It's not a gimmick, I've used it, this is not the same as 3d, its tech that at least to me, enhances existing games and opens up possibilities for new genres. For some games, this is a monitor replacement, because I think those games will just look and play better in VR than they will on a standard screen. Speaking of monitors, the monitor I use cost $700. Granted, it's high end, 27 inchs at 2560x1440 144hz native resolution, with gsync, but thats not much more expensive than a Rift. The Rift is for all intents and purposes, a high end display. You expect to pay that much for a high end display. ...." "MORE HERE http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so5a27

8 years ago

+1.

I can't wait :)

8 years ago

I'm not exactly sure where people got the impression that the first piece of true consumer-ready VR was actually going to be cheap tech.

I don't know, maybe because this?

Oculus — which recently announced its partnership with Samsung for a Galaxy Note 4-based mobile VR system — is hoping to sell the final version of its own Rift headset for between $200 and $400, co-founder Nate Mitchell told Eurogamer in an interview earlier this week.

This price point isn't so different to what Oculus executives have suggested in the past. The first development kit cost $300, the second costs $350, Oculus has said before that it's targeting a $300 price point, and the latest word is that it will sell at or near the cost of production. "It's going to be as cheap as possible," Luckey told Eurogamer.

I get that these are just estimates, but when the price is finally revealed and it's nearly double what the high end estimates were...that's a pretty poor estimate. Leave it to TB to try and mock people without doing any research, pretty typical, of him. If the people developing the damn thing thought it could be sold for $200-$400, how are laypeople supposed to know different than what they are being told throughout the life of it's development? :P

8 years ago

Indeed. Can't help but feel that Oculus have shot themselves in the ballsack on this one.

It's not that I have any issue with a high price (after all, it's bleeding edge technology, aimed squarely at early adopters), but it's all come as a nasty surprise to those who have been following their announcements over the past year or two...

8 years ago

If you feel the same like the guy you mentioned I could now start a full wall of text how oculus rift is overpriced for what it provides and how so called "enthusiasts" will need to cover up the entire oculus rift development lasting last 4-5 years.

After facebook bought OR, it was obvious that because of all the hype (which is a little too much I think too, but that's another story), the company will try to make every buck of it, which means that first model will be expensive as hell.

If you really think that out of sudden company decided that their device will cost 2x as much as initially suggested, because of the components being used inside or the software, then I'm not sure if you understand that the specification is made at least half a year before, and people responsible for finances also calculate costs long before. It's obvious that after so long time Oculus will do anything possible to maximize their profits, sad news are that so called "enthusiasts" and "fans" supporting the concept in any way they can, including ME (yes, I have DK2, and I was looking forward to consumer device) are supposed to cover those costs.

OR is no longer an extra, it costs as much as quite powerful PC being able to run everything on at least high details in 60 FPS @FullHD. And if somebody compares a monitor to OR and claims that the price is OK, then he has no idea how much the device is in fact worth, because the real cost of OR is around 200$, majority of the rest is supposed to cover development costs for past 5 years.

It's not my business how one wants to spend his money. But the OR is in fact overpriced and overhyped, and I guess that within a year we'll see many other VR alternatives that cost half as much.

Not to mention that Oculus already started working on next-gen of their Rift, that is supposed to be released within a year. I suspect that it'll cost around 400$ because first-gen Rift, aka "enthusiasts" will cover development costs. This is because Oculus notices that everybody stupid enough to pay that much already bought first gen, and now they'll once again try to maximize profits, this time by targetting next-gen of Rift to wider audience.

Just my 5 cents.

8 years ago

Subtotal: $59900
EDIT:

View attached image.
8 years ago

Yeah, they don''t like that "." to show where cents start.

8 years ago

They liek monies ;p

8 years ago

That price.... I come back in a few years...

8 years ago

That price. I have a strong feeling of deja vu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHqG1nc_tw

8 years ago

ahahahaha +1

8 years ago

I ordered mine :)

$699 + $128 shipping to NZ.

I'm not sure if I'm paying NZD or USD yet though :)

8 years ago

Both

8 years ago

and without VAT or import taxes.

i would only buy rift for this price if it would work like a NerveGear from SAO. (but it doesn't so im not buying, for that kinda money i would rather upgrade my PC or buy everything on my steam wishlist@sale )

8 years ago

Same here. You can buy a pretty good graphic card for that money and still have money left over to get some games. Not to mention that your pc needs to be pretty strong as well to run the rift well.

8 years ago

Shouldn't it be exact opposite?

8 years ago

Like they pay you $600 for you to use their product?

8 years ago

Of course not. :3.

I mean if it's $600 and they don't use $1=€1 it should be less than €600 since €1>$1. (If it didn't change recently.)

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

8 years ago

Recommended PC Specification: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater, NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater

8 years ago

Oh god imagine all the kids asking their parents for one

8 years ago

Only $600?! Why not get two!

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

Hope they don't disappoint, but I also like more where they are heading with their product.

8 years ago

Same here. I hope that we will be able to order it via the Steam client (same way as with the controller)

8 years ago

Wonder how the rest of the VR's will be priced.

8 years ago

Probably the same price or slightly higher. They were expected to be much higher, but that was before all the price increases by Oculus. Now it's easier to try and get closer to their real price instead of their fake 350-400.

8 years ago

Happy cake day!

8 years ago

Lol. Why the fuck would I pay that much for a gimmick? Come back with a decent catalogue of games and then we'll talk :).

8 years ago

Yep, I can't argue against this. While I have really high hopes for the Rift, the entry price point right now and the lack of apps make it really gimmicky. It just remains to be seen how much of a foothold it will gain and what kind of games come for it. It's too niche at the moment. I can afford it, but I just can't justify the cost right now. If it was 50% less I'd be more likely to do it. Then again, I got my parents to buy me Sega CD when that POS first came out at the $300 price point and I barely touched the fucker.

And other companies will develop cheaper VR alternatives if the tech takes off in a tangible way.

8 years ago

If it had a shit ton of exclusives like a console then sure, but it is nothing but tech demos and proof of concepts. That and the whole array of issues that VR still hasn't sorted out makes me iffy at best.

8 years ago

We already have a wonderful MMO that supports VN, don't be so picky!

8 years ago

I like having standards ;_;
Lol, that's a lie. I'm just a cheap bastard :D

8 years ago

SWORD ART ONLINE!?

8 years ago

sigh
... I'm talking about the wonderful Paradise Island - VR MMO

8 years ago

Until we get Bad Rats VR, gtfo

8 years ago

Good thing they have such a big company behind them now to get the price down...lol.
I hope they get their ass handed to them.

8 years ago

Oh, great, just three month without eating and paying taxes!
NO.

8 years ago

$849 in Canada not including taxes or shipping.

8 years ago

Long live Canada and our unjustified steep prices because 600$ is not enough.

8 years ago

I think I'll rather buy a cardbox for now O.O

8 years ago

^^

8 years ago

You are aware that puts it well over $750 for europe, right?

8 years ago

That's the joke.

8 years ago

Recommended specs
Video Card NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater
CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
Memory 8GB+ RAM
Video Output Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
USB Ports 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
OS Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

GG.

8 years ago

How.... how did Oculus know my exact build.

8 years ago

They want your D.

So cash in that dough! $____$

8 years ago

Well except for the VGA(i have a 960) i can run it recommendedly

8 years ago

That's not that bad, my 4 year old PC has all of that except the CPU which is i5-3570K but I doubt the difference is enough to need an upgrade. I'd hate to know what your specs are if you think that's GG worthy.

8 years ago

A laptop man haha my gpu is equivalent to a GTX 760, which is cool for a laptop but still GG, those are the specs of an excellent rig, not monster but it wouldn't have any issues in running any game with 1080p60 until at least 5 years.

8 years ago

Thanks for the heads up :)

Price shows as $699 instead of $599 when I go to check out. Is this some sort of favourable conversion to Kiwidollars, or just a plain old example of brazen gouging?

Does not include postage or import taxes, naturally...

Also, Paypal wants me to pre-authorise future Oculus transactions, allowing them to raid my account at their leisure. Bailing out now - the future can wait a little longer ;___;

8 years ago

Brazen gouging, sorry to kill that dream.

As for paypal - they don't take money until they start to ship. So I guess that's what paypal is asking about - to take that money later.

8 years ago

Thanks. Never seen this before on Paypal. Colour me educated :)

8 years ago

Wait.. what? Shouldn't it be 500 Euro if it's $600 for NA?

8 years ago

Yes

8 years ago

They can't do the usual 1$ = 1€ trick now to cover taxes because the dollar is too high (0,92€ for 1 dollar).

8 years ago

People also forget you need a good pc, so total cost might be even higher.
Need a whole new pc for it. -_-

8 years ago

Same here. In total it might end up being around the 2000 for me. I can buy a really nice guitar for that money...

8 years ago

My friend was in the process of getting a new pc..like he was going to order the parts as of yesterday but now he is waiting a while to get a fission reactor of a pc just for the Rift...which of course hinders our gaming drastically.

8 years ago

I don't know about forgetting.

Rightly or wrongly, I guess the argument goes that this is aimed primarily at early adopters - relatively affluent hardcore gamers, who will in all likelihood already have PCs which are somewhere around the sort of spec required.

While this release is billed as a "consumer" device, it's far from being a piece of kit that's going to work on your Mum's Windows XP netbook anytime soon, or indeed any other productivity type machine.

8 years ago

Well, they might sell combination packages soon, Oculus Ready PC's will be 999-1500$, so with a headset only 1600-2100$ to get going :P
Devs are already delaying releases till the first price-cut.
Oculus, the new Virtual Boy? :P

8 years ago

Oculus has a built in headset and mic... Also, combo packages with Oculus Ready PCs will start at $1499 USD in February...

8 years ago

Its a ripoff. They probably produce one Oculus Rift for a bit more than 100$ in Taiwan, then sell it to us for 600% the production cost.
Why ? Money. Plus they know a lot of gamers have been waiting and craving for this. /)_(\

I'll wait for what Steam VR and Sony have to offer.
I'm sure they will do a better job when it comes to pricing, the quantity of sales will make up for it. ;P

8 years ago

Steam will put a region lock lol

8 years ago

xD That was unexpected, yet comment of the day :D - SteamTrades in the future: [H] Steam VR RU/CIS (buy on demand) [W] PP, Skrillex, Wallet. I wonder if it gets region lock, will it be only shipped to Russia, or even the units will have a unique code, from which Steam can determine the region.
You get a russian export Steam VR, plug it in, then it says: Sorry, this unit works only in the following countries: Azerbajdian....

8 years ago

I was thinking about a code, like each SteamVR comes with a code that you have to tie with it and steam will check your region. Just posted for fun but coming from steam nothing is impossible, JUST DO IT.

8 years ago

You should do a bit of homework first if you think the rift cost $100 to produce. You're waaay off.

8 years ago

their reaction

View attached image.
8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.