I want to upgrade my pc, specifically my graphics card. Right now I got a 7870. Probably going to get a gtx 680.
What do you think I should get?
What I have:
i5 2500k
12gigs 1600mhz ram
2tb hd
120 gig adata ssd
HIS 7870
antec kuhler h2o 620 water cooling
asrock z77 extreme4 mobo
27" moniter
steel series vg62 keyboard
logitech g500 mouse
thermaltake speedo full tower case
swag

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

7990 ftw

1 decade ago

I think you should probably list the rest of your parts if you and don't ask on SG if you want a realistic answer.

1 decade ago

Thanks for Euro Truck Simulator

1 decade ago

Hi

1 decade ago

BI

1 decade ago

A 7870 should be plenty for now unless you're at WQXGA or something

1 decade ago

This. I'd think about pulling the CPU up a little, but other than that, this PC is rock solid. I am on an i7 2600k with a recently acquired 7870LE (up from a 5770) and 8Gb RAM, and it satisfies my gaming needs excellently.

1 decade ago

Use PcPartPicker for us to help you more :]

1 decade ago

Congrats - You have $482.59 more than I do!

1 decade ago

He has $500 more than me too

1 decade ago

Congrats - You have $2.73 more than I do!

Next?

1 decade ago

Congrats - you have...-$719.36 more than I do.

Next?

P.S. Does that make sense or no? o.O

1 decade ago

triangle

1 decade ago

Congrats you have 1000000000000000000000000000000$ more then i will ever be able to save up for ;_;

1 decade ago

Your post made me think of this commercial

1 decade ago

XD HAHA...lolz

1 decade ago

tf2/dota keys

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

Just give me the money and I'll buy you the best parts as a personal favor, no need to thank me. ;)

1 decade ago

Give me your credit card and I will transfer it right over.

1 decade ago

this ^

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

Honestly, keep it that's my opinion. You don't need an upgrade. reddit.com/r/buildapc is helpful

1 decade ago

Armed personnel carrier?

1 decade ago

Armoured, not armed. At least get it right if you're trying to be a smartass. :P

1 decade ago

are you kidding me ? there no need to updgrade something... why do you even have 12gig of ram ? what the point?

1 decade ago

I have 16, allows you to open as many as you want without worrying about running out of RAM and Windows buffering stuff to hard disk. I don't need to close browsers, email or anything else I have running when I start a game.

1 decade ago

same as you. but i got 6gig.

1 decade ago

I guess I keep more stuff opened than you do... especially when coding. I've seen my memory usage go as high as 14 Gb at times.

1 decade ago

lol, yeah why do u even feel the need to upgrade? can't u run games on high settings with this pc already? just spend ur money on something else..

1 decade ago

You don't need to upgrade anything with a 7870.

1 decade ago

500 fortix oh wait

1 decade ago

500 more Fortix giveaways sounds like an excellent idea. I still haven't won one for myself yet.

1 decade ago

Actually, it could work

1 decade ago

Any better graphics card would be a very minor upgrade for a lot of money. Save it, buy games, play the lotto, something else.

1 decade ago

Don't upgrade your graphics card. That would be a waste of money at this point/

1 decade ago

Buy a steelseries sensei or razer mamba, i think its the best gaming mouses.

1 decade ago

The reason I want to upgrade is that I can't completely max out any game at 60fps.
also, I don't really have anything else I want to spend the money on.

1 decade ago

What games do you play? I play Tomb Raider on 1080p with all details on, and it's smooth as butter.

1 decade ago

far cry 3, arkham city are the main problems.

1 decade ago

Dude. There is no law that says you have to spend your money. Your PC is fine. Turn graphics from max to one notch lower, you won't even notice the difference. Far Cry3 doesn't look much different in ultra vs high or even normal. I played that game on a 5770.

Put those $500 away for a rainy day. You never know when they may come in handy.

1 decade ago

Just go for another GPU.

1 decade ago

All games are my problems.

Radeon HD 4200 FTW!

1 decade ago

Buying a new GPU would be a waste of money if you have HD 7870 right now. Just overclock it and you'll be fine. Save money for at least HD 8000 series if you're really itching to spend it.

I have HD 7850 2GB overclocked to 1050MHz, 2500K overclocked at 4300MHz and 27'' monitor (2560x1440) and I run all modern games on highest details easy. Just turn down anti-aliasing, depth of field and ambient occlusion and you'll be fine. It will be barely noticeable, but you will gain significant improvement in performance.

The most demanding game I have played (or should I say, the game with the worst performance) was Metro 2033 and it ran 35-40 FPS at 2560x1440 with very high settings and depth of field off. Even Battlefield 3 with AAx2 had steady 55-60 FPS. I think my HD 7850 would currently struggle only with Far Cry 3.

1 decade ago

Far cry 3 is the problem. I have my processor at 4.7ghz and my graphics card overclocked as much as I can without messing with the voltage.
I like AA though. It makes my e-penis bigger

1 decade ago

Well, if you think spending $500 is worth it to make your e-peen bigger, go ahead and do it, no one here can stop you. :P

But in all seriousness, just turn down the settings a little and you should be fine. Far Cry 3 is known for looking good on medium settings (or so I hear).

When it comes to high end GPUs, there are very diminishing returns. That's why I ended up buying HD 7850 even though I originally planned to go for HD 7950 or GTX 670. I had enough money, but it wasn't worth it in my eyes. Additional 15 FPS for $200? No thanks.

1 decade ago

Far Cry 3 is known for looking good on medium settings (or so I hear).

Put it like this: I played FC3 on medium with my old 5770. When I upgraded to the 7870, I reinstalled FC3 and checked it on Ultra, and was disappointed at how little difference it made.

1 decade ago

You really won't see that much of a difference upgrading from a 7870 but if feel like you really need to spend the money, get a 7970 GHz Edition.

1 decade ago

What he said, you can't go wrong with a 7970 ghz edition they're insanely overclockable. I run mine at 1200core/1700memory 24-7 on STOCK volts and that's like a 25-30% framerate increase over a stock 7970

1 decade ago

Crossfire with 2 Radeon HD 7870s or save the money for a new build

I'm using an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. I've been holding off upgrades for 5 years now. I'm waiting for nVIDIA or AMD to release their top of the line graphics card for under 200 USD again and the release of Source Engine 2

1 decade ago

Top of the line GPU under $200? So you decided to stop upgrading altogether?

1 decade ago

go buy a gram of meth

1 decade ago

I thought you were gonna ask "What games can i buy".

1 decade ago

get a HD 7970 or wait for the GTX 700 series / Radeon 8000 series

1 decade ago

Radeon 8000 series will have only a 5% difference, max 10% instead for a higher price

795 its enough imho,
and with a liitle bit of OC magic its the same as 7970stock, i would go for another monitor

1 decade ago

I wish people would stop comparing slower cards with faster ones if you OC them! why? Because you can OC the faster cards also! It was a different story with the 6950 card since it literally was the same card as 6970 if you changed the cards bios

1 decade ago

As most people already suggested, leave your computer as it is. No reason to upgrade it unless you get a second monitor. If I were you, I'd keep the money and collect some more, and wait until the next generation graphics cards come out.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by JarJarBinksIII.