Hello! :) I recently got a prebuilt PC for really cheap. I figured, since it was cheap, I could buy it and just upgrade some of the parts if need be. But truth be told, I'm not very knowledgeable about these things... I just know some basic stuff... Hence why I'm posting here, in hopes of getting responses from people who know better than me.

• Intel i3-6100 3.7 GHz Dual Core
  • ASUS H110M-D Motherboard
  • Palit GTX 1050 Ti
  • Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2133MHz)
  • WD 1TB Hard drive
  • PNY 240GB SSD
  • Thermaltake 550W power supply

I'd like to ask how would the PC's performance be in theory, and which ones I should upgrade or if I should upgrade at all? I guess in general I just want a rig that is balanced (i.e, none of the parts bottlenecking the performance) and can run most games decently. (For reference, I think the heaviest games that I own are Rust, MHW, DS3, Dragon's Dogma, and Fallout 4, so maybe something that can run those?) I can make do with low-med graphic settings.

Edit: I think I should mention I just need something that'd probably last me at least around 2-3 years or so. Just enough for me to find a job after I (hopefully) graduate university in October and save up for a new PC. :)

Edit #2: Okay, so I have another question. Will adding another HDD or SSD affect the PC's performance? Like, will it add load to the system and cause it to slow down, or will the additional memory not affect it at all? I did search it up before typing it here, but I'm not sure which is correct since I saw different answers. ;-; I used to think adding another drive would make it slower since the processor has to load up more stuff, but some of the things I read said it won't affect speed so now I'm not sure what to think. Thanks in advance to whomever will answer my question! :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who'll bump and/or answer my inquiry! Here's a train (+derailed cart) as thanks for reading. :)

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

It can play pretty much anything on low or medium, even high or ultra in some cases.

4 years ago

You can run all games fine, i'd say a better cpu if it's worth it for you or just play and test this for a while and then see if it's lacking anything else. But with this route you are better off getting another pc alltogether a few years later, because with coffee lake, you need a new motherboard, new card and you might need more power etc etc etc.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/3647vs3511

4 years ago*

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the advice! :) Haven't tested it out in terms of performance yet as of now since I don't have a wifi dongle right now. Although a $359 processor might be out of my budget right now... :( I might follow your advice and play with it for a while and see. :)

4 years ago

I3 is kind of old.

4 years ago

6th generation is old , not i3 itself

4 years ago

And even then it's not that old.

4 years ago

Lol. Just lol

4 years ago

That's a really good PC for, pretty much anything. From videos of the same rig you can play games like Battlefield 5 on ultra, and Rise Of The Tomb Raider on normal/high

4 years ago

No he cant, the game will run of course but the stutter will be constant and game breaking because of that i3. Thats the only part that he should upgrade.

4 years ago

On my i5 4690 + GTX 970 (fine card for BF 5) multi is stuttering as a hell. It has 4 cores with 100% usage. So do not tell him that his 2 cores will let him play on ULTRA. He will not be even able to play comfortable on minimum details.

There is huge gap between i3 and i5 in 6th generation. Maybe you are not aware, but 8th generation has 4 cores on i3...

4 years ago

I already played rust on a worse computer (i5-4460 / gtx 750ti)

4 years ago

Did you play on low, and how was the performance? :) I tried playing it on my i7 6500, but it kept lagging. :( To be fair, it's an old laptop so that's probably why it wouldn't work... (old + laptop for gaming? yeesh ;-;)

4 years ago

60+ fps on low

4 years ago

Oh, that's fair. Thanks for the info! :)

4 years ago

its a good system to begin with, i would recommend upgrading the cpu to an i5 or i7 if possible (cost-wise) like an 6600 or 6700 (with or without k; the K means you can easily overclock it, if you dont know how to do that it would be better to get the non K versio to save a little bit).

I think for modern games you definitly should upgrade the 8 GB ram at least to 16 GB, with 8 you are at the current minimum and some games can be very demanding when it comes to ram.

the GPU is fine for entry level gaming, but if you have the budget to upgrade it would enable better grafics and higher frames for you, which would give you a smoother gaming experience.

Also, thank you for that train :)

4 years ago

He can't OC with that motherboard even if he wanted to.

4 years ago

there are probably some custom bios mods you could use, but in general you are right, OC isnt a good idea whot that mobo ^^

4 years ago

Ah, I see! Thanks for the advice. You're right, I'm not very knowledgeable on overclocking. I learned something new, thank you! :)

4 years ago

I think the build is pretty balanced. How much is it?

Question: Is there a big difference between 2 cores with HT and 4 threads like the i3-6100 and a CPU with 4 cores?

4 years ago

yes, there is a mayor difference, because even with 4 threads you only have 2 cores, when you have programs that use the most of every core, you will basicly have half the performance of a 2C/4T cpu vs a 4C/4T cpu.

it dosnt matter tho for programs that have a higher benefit for multiple cores without the need of a good single core performance

4 years ago

The difference is huge but at this point its better to grab a 6 core ryzen as they dont cost more than 100-150 bucks at most.

4 years ago

I bought it around $570, but it came with peripherals and I plan to sell those, which would bring down overall cost to around $400? I thought that was fair, since PC parts are slightly more expensive here. ;-;

4 years ago

If you're going with medium graphics, you might want to up those both GPU and CPU a bit, although you don't need something too expensive/strong. If you're good with low graphics and <60fps, your build might be enough. You probably want another 8 gigs of ram just in general, 16 should be enough. I think Lugum has a good point though, you might just need a new pc in a few years altogether. However, looking at the games you mostly play this should be fine. If you do plan on getting gigantic titles like GTAV/Six siege or playing Fallout 4 and other intesive games, the upgrades are something to consider.
Edit: I'm assuming 1080 for the resolution. If it's less, your build might just be good in general
Edit 2: talgaby is right I forgot about the motherboard yeah you might just want to wait and build another one later on in your life the only thing that you could probably get right now that's worth is 8 more gigs of ram

4 years ago*

Ohh, I see. Thank you for the insights! :) If I played FO4, could it run in low settings? Also just a random question, would the build be enough for FFXV? I forgot to take into account games I wanted to play but hesitated on buying because of my previous setup. ;-;

4 years ago

Depends how low, I guess. I would be careful with DLC and mods, but at the lowest settings 60fps should be doable. I...wouldn't recommend it, but it can work fine and maybe even 30fps at low-medium levels. I don't know about FFXV, sorry. Maybe someone else can help :P gl with your pc and games. (Just don't expect fallout 4 to run smoothly in every area or if there's a lot of enemies. If it has problems even at bottom graphics, just don't run it and wait until you upgrade or make a new one)

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago*

"If that GPU was just a regular 1050 and not the Ti version, then I'd say your setup was perfect."
Sorry, may I ask what's the difference between the regular ver and the Ti version? I'd always thought that the Ti was better than the regular one. :o

Thanks for the advice on the processor, and taking price into account! :D

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago*

Its always better to have the best gpu possible no matter what cpu you have. The limitation of the cpu is that it will pretty much cap your fps and there will be stutter if it gets maxed out. There is no reason to have a weaker gpu as the cap of fps wont change but you will be able to increase the settings with the better gpu and thats always a good thing.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Ahh, I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the info! :)

4 years ago

Nothing can be done about that config. The motherboard chipset is too weak for anything over an i5 and the cost of an i5-6500 or an i5-7600 is still pointlessly high compared to the benefits it could bring you.
It is a cheap config in every sense of the word and in all aspects. The only way to truly upgrade it with some tangible benefits would be buying a new PC.

The good news is that you may scrape by with new games on 720p low graphics for two-three years, especially if all Nvidia can do is replacing the VRAM modules on their cards and call that an "upgrade". Since they are the market leaders, them just rehashing the same cards instead of development can hold back graphics for quite a while, making the owners of many low-end GPUs happy.

4 years ago

I have to agree, while it's certainly possible, there isn't much point in slightly upgrading this system.
Only the HDD and the SDD seem salvageable, if they are new.

It should work on the games OP posted though. Besides MHW, this setup could probably still run everything on very high.

4 years ago

If you buy a new i5-7600 yes, but I doubt anyone would put a shiny new i5-7600 in there. A used 7600 will make a huge difference

4 years ago

Ohh, I see. Thanks so much! :) If this can last me about 2-3 years I can be happy about that actually! :D I'm just about to graduate university so I'll (hopefully) have a stable job by then and can afford a better setup. Would you recommend another 8 GB RAM? That's what I'm mostly getting from the other replies. Thanks for the advice! :)

4 years ago

16 GB of memory in total is the currently recommended range, yes. Nowadays, office machines tend to ship with 8 GB. Games nowadays get particularly memory-hungry, I have seen one or two eat most of my current 32 GB.

4 years ago

Alright, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much! :)

4 years ago

Looks quite balanced overall. The CPU is probably the biggest bottleneck due to it only having 2 cores.

4 years ago

At this point in time, that PC would be considered low end for sure. Upgrading it is possible, but will be limited without basically building an entire PC.

My suggestions for upgrades, if you're comfortable changing the parts would include...

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-6th-gen-core-i5-6500/p/N82E16819117563
and
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-570-rx570-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930008

Those would put you in a fair place for gaming the way you want, and allow for some freedom with Modding Fallout 4, while likely getting you high settings on MHW.

If you're looking to save a buck, you can likely save about $100 by getting the i5-6500 used. As for the graphics card, it pretty much pays for itself if you like the free games that come with it.

Edit: All that said though, you might be able to play all those games on the PC as is... Just not sure about MHW mostly, and Fallout 4 may have some horrible experiences in certain city areas.

4 years ago*

RX 580 might be a better choice for more performance, both are really cheap

4 years ago

We're talking 5-10% performance improvements at like 20% cost increase in most cases. Sure right now there is one decent deal for...

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-580-rx580-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930002

Which is only a 12% price increase, but considering all the games will run fine on a 570, he would probably rather save the $20.

4 years ago

You're probably right , in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsOGsdsqyCg there's a comparison between rx 570 and 580 and obviously there's not much difference , just rx 580 gives 10ish more fps . idk paying $20 for 10 fps seems more like a personal preference.

4 years ago

The difference between the 570 and 580 I posted would be even less. The 570 in the video is a 4gb version, and the memory clocks are actually slower. It's the same deal with the 580's, I got the RX 580 4GB and the memory clocks are slower, causing me to get like 3-4 fps less in some games. The 8GB 570 would actually perform 3 or 4 fps better than in that video, which makes the difference even less important.

Edit: The 570 in the vid you posted would be more comparable to...

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-570-axrx-570-4gbd5-3dhd-oc/p/N82E16814131717

which would be a $40 difference.

I would have recommended the 4GB over the 8GB for extra savings, but I know that Fallout 4 modded, 4GB has it's limits, I've encountered them with my 4GB 580.

Edit 2: Just noticed that 570 4GB I just showed doesn't come with free games. So for same value comparison to other cards, this one is prob better. Resulting in a $30 difference instead of $40

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-570-axrx-570-4gbd5-3dh-oc/p/N82E16814131716

4 years ago*

Ahh, thank you for the advice! I'm learning a lot in this thread. :) Edit: Would you recommend upgrading if I just need the rig to last around 2 years?

4 years ago*

Definitely not. Even if you are lucky, you can get a used i5-6500 in decent condition at around 120 USD (plus local taxes), you will only experience a quality-of-life upgrade in everyday browsing and doing multiple small stuff on the PC. Admittedly, this is what you will use the PC for mostly, but the question is: are you willing to pay that much so programs don't hang for 0.5-2 seconds every time you open them, but only for 0.5-1 seconds?
For the most part, an i3 is a perfectly serviceable mid-low tier CPU that will bottleneck on some games, but those games won't run that much better in an i5 either. Believe me, I know it as a first-hand experience, I am on a 6600K. (Which is shaping up to be my worst decision on a CPU ever.)

4 years ago

Alright, thank you! :) If I were to buy another RAM chip, would getting the same model be of any benefit or would getting a one with higher specs be better? Thanks for all the advice! :)

4 years ago

Get the exact same one. ALways have identical RAM modules.

4 years ago

Alright, thank you! :)

4 years ago

Hard to say, really comes down to the games you want to play, and can't really predict the requirements or optimization for future games. What I recommended for an upgrade I'd see lasting maybe 2-3 years tops, but I could be wrong with that too.

If anything, I'd say play MHW and FO4 on the new PC and see how they run. If you're content with the performance and settings, maybe just stick with it how it is now and wait to build better.

That said, I'm actually gonna take back my recommendation for the i5-6500. Completely forgot that the i3's have multi threading while many i5's don't, so yah, talgaby is right, the change would offer very little change, especially given the clock speed differences.

The RX 570 would give a significant performance boost however if you feel the current build isn't cutting it for games you like.

Just so you get an idea on performance difference between the 1050ti and RX 570 (Vid Below). Do note the RX 570 in the video is a 4GB version. If you opted to get an 8GB, you would possibly get a 3-4% performance uplift (which could mean a lousy 1 or 2 fps in some games), but the extra VRAM would be the major reason to get it, if you'd like to mod the hell out of games like Fallout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6_Dj-TedSU

4 years ago*

Alright, I think I'll do that. I think I can test the rig out by next week, when I get back to the dorms. Thanks for the info and advice! :) Edit: Also, sorry, same question as above: If I were to buy another RAM chip, would getting the same model be of any benefit or would getting a one with higher specs be better? Sorry for asking a lot of questions, and thanks for answering!

4 years ago

Get one with the same spec if you're not replacing the current one. Getting higher specs will just result in it underclocking to match the other, and possibly cause instability and crashing. If possible, try to get the exact same brand and model.

4 years ago

Ah, alright, thank you! :)

4 years ago

No problem, feel free to ask if you have any further questions. Just a head up though, I notice someone else stated you should have 16GB of RAM for FO4, and that isn't true. The game runs perfectly fine for me with 8GB, however I've got it paired with a Ryzen 1500X and RX 580 4GB. It's true there are games that will benefit and gain a few fps by having more RAM or faster RAM, but it's not a requirement.

4 years ago

Ohh wow, I really am gaining a lot of knowledge after reading the responses in this thread. :o Thank you for the info! :)

4 years ago

Honestly, if I were you I'd be stressed from this thread, everyone arguing different advice, lol. Hard for anyone to give 100% accurate info though, it will all depend on personal experience, and not everyone's experience is on your level, so... That's why I say test games first before doing anything. In the event you have bad performance, I still say the graphics card (RX 570) would be the best upgrade for gains, boosting performance a good 40-50%, while RAM upgrade would maybe boost 5-10%. Video below to show how RAM changes performance in FO4, but given you're using lower end hardware, the FPS gain would be lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plH6lvn6Ll0

That said though, if you did opt for graphics card, based on other comment about power supply possibly not supporting it, I highly doubt that would be the case, but... To be safe, check if your power supply has a cable like so...

http://i.imgur.com/0XXJuyA.jpg

If it does, you'd be good to go, just be sure the graphics card you get only need a 6 or 8 pin connector. If it needs more, your power supply would need to have enough.

4 years ago

For your needs: Keep it as it is.
The motherboard and Processor is to old. Upgrades are futile. Except for RAM, 8gb more if you must. But I would not bother unless games stop running completely.

In a cpl of years...buy a new complete build. Save your money. You would be wasting it otherwise.

enjoy it for what it is 😊👍 // Regards from another budget gamer

4 years ago

Thank you for the advice! I think I might just do that since this one is just to tide me over for the next two or three years while I save up for a better rig. :)

4 years ago

You're welcome :) I'm in the same situation myself actually.

4 years ago

Second 8GB stick of RAM, unless you already have 2x4GB that block your slots. Otherwise it's pretty balanced for 60fps in 1080p. I don't think there is any upgrade path that is worth it, even entry level Ryzen offers better price/perf against top in socket that you can get for this. If you wan't to pump a little bit more details, then something like GTX 970/1060 or RX 570/580 is still not overkill, if you manage to get them cheap enough.

4 years ago

A dual-core CPU is often below system requirements these days, so a quad-core is recommended. Six cores might give another (smaller) performance boost.

At least in my country, Kaby Lake (7th gen. CPU arch.) has a better price / performance ratio than Skylake (6th gen.). Don't get a T model as these are slower. I'd recommend an Intel Core i5-7500 if you're after price / performance.

CAUTION: You might need to update the "BIOS" (UEFI) first (using the old CPU) to get your mainboard to work with Kaby Lake CPUs.

Coffee Lake CPUs (8th / 9th gen.) won't work on your mainboard.

The 1050 Ti is a bit weak, but might still be ok. Upgrading this should give a considerable performance boost.

8GB RAM should be ok for most games still. With 16GB you're on the safe side, i.e. loading / swapping would decrease, and there's hardly any game which would benefit from more than 16GB.

The SSD could be a bit larger so you can put a couple of games there.

4 years ago*

I see. Thanks for the detailed info! :)

4 years ago

Looking at the games you listed I'd say you won't be able to get stable 1080p 60FPS on max settings in some of them, but if you're ok with lowering the settings a bit then it's still a really good PC for playing these. I'd use it as is and only upgrade (or maybe rather buy a new PC since there's not much room for upgrading) once it becomes "not enough" for you.

4 years ago

Its a good foundation to build on and will also help you learn as you upgrade.
All you really need to upgrade right now is the processor as already stated. But first download CPU-Z and post the motherboard info here if you need an opinion. You need to know what generation of processors it supports to pick the right upgrade
Your PSU is fine and Graphics card is good for now, so is your SSD

Contrary to basic gamer knowledge you do not need a new motherboard, I recommend get a used i5 7600 or 8400 online for cheap.
You will need a graphics card...maybe a used 1070 down the road.
I have 4th gen Haswell board and play / stream all games on highest / ultra with a 4790K and a GTX 1070 on 1080p 60FPS...Your board looks more recent than mine...you will be fine for the next couple years and get your moneys worth...then rinse and repeat.

4 years ago*

What is your resolution?

4 years ago

You're absolutely fine with that. Later on you can upgrade your CPU to an i5 or i7, graphics card and add 8gb of RAM.

4 years ago

Your storage seems fine (large HD + SSD), GPU is also OK from my point of view. If you have any performance problems, adding another 8 GB RAM would seem like the first thing to do, then possibly upgrading the CPU, and it should perform decently for quite a while.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Not a bad lower end gaming machine, should do what you want for now. I'd only consider upgrading if you get a good deal on the components.

CPU - Motherboard supports 7th Gen (Kaby Lake) processors wih a BIOS update so you have some headroom to upgrade here. I'm not keen on the i3's so a 7th Gen i5 should be a decent (although not required) upgrade, i7 is probably overkill.
GPU - 1050ti should be OK however you should see significant gains with a 1060ti or even 1070ti but this will cost you.
RAM - Again 8GB is fine for what you want, if you have free slots on the mobo and can pick up a couple more sticks cheap then why not. More RAM wont hurt.
Storage - This is perfectly fine, nothing worth upgrading here.

4 years ago

I don't think the GPU has to be a TI pretty sure a 1660 could do good and be a lot cheaper then a 1070ti

4 years ago

True, even better is a regular 1070 as it still outperforms the 1660

4 years ago

Ye but you also have to consider price pretty sure 1660 is a lot cheaper then 1070, or at least where I'm at :P

4 years ago

just buff up the cpu and you'll be set for a good while longer (medium to high settings)

4 years ago

This would be a great computer, 5 years ago, (as it is, it's only slightly better than my ancient rig which is running an i5 and 760), but there are two components I'd be upgrading straight away - the i3 to an i5, and the 1050 to a 1060.

I don't know how cheap you mean, but if you add on the cost of these upgrades, I would compare it to a prebuilt machine with those upgrades already and see how the prices stack up then.

4 years ago*

Your cpu is your weakest part. That dual core will stutter like hell on games that require 4 cores. Unlike everyone here suggesting keeping the motherboard and buying an i5-i7 which only have 4 cores i would suggest selling both the motherboard and the cpu and buying an ryzen 1600 or 2600 plus a new CPU. Buying those 2 parts wont cost more than 150-200 bucks and you will have 6 cores instead of 4. I suggest this as those CPUs are seriously a bergain for their prices plus the new ps5 will have either 6 or 8 cores so games will be optimised for that many cores. Your gpu is fine as long as you dont expect to play new games at anything more than 60 fps and low setting but if you want a bit more power check the rx 570 or 580 as the first cost around 100 bucks and the second less than 200 bucks at least in my country. Those rx are faster than the best 1060 6gb and i wouldnt advise spending anything more than that.

4 years ago

Its a good idea, but getting a new board makes it expensive. An i5-8400 is around $150 used and will be a more simple fix IMO

4 years ago

His board doesnt support the I5-8400, only the 4 cores i5 which are a waste of money lately considering your other options.

4 years ago

+OP should probably wait for upgrades until next month though, AMD is releasimg new tech in the beginning of July and so is Nvidia, if I recall correctly, that should lower some prices by the end of the month.

4 years ago

I totally agree on waiting but i forgot to mention it. I hope the new ryzen will be worth it as i am thinking of buying one for myself.

4 years ago

Closed 3 years ago by mikotomaki.