Alright, so my PC was just built about 3ish weeks ago.
Some games like DOOM, BF1 run fine, I'm talking 110+ FPS at most times
But others, like Dead by Daylight (I know that game isn't very optimized), Guild Wars 2, Subnauctia, H1Z1:KoK, Borderlands 2 (Stuttery), etc. run like crap. They stutter and get very low frame rates.

Here are my specs, directly from Speccy

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • CPU
    AMD FX-8320 37 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
  • RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 937MHz (10-11-10-30)
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3P (CPU 1) 32 °C
  • Graphics
    BenQ GW2870 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Undefined)( 44 °C (Is actually an MSI 1060, 6 Gbs.)
  • Storage
    223GB PNY CS1311 240GB SSD (SSD) 30 °C
    465GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050 (SATA) 30 °C
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08RKKA0 (SATA) 35 °C
  • Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected
  • Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

I've tried older drivers and reinstalling drivers, but it doesn't work.

I'm running out of options here, is my GPU faulty or something?

Help.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Is my card faulty or something?

View Results
Yes
No
I'll comment and give you details.

It's either an issue specifically with Nvidia GPUs or some system specific conflict as I've run both Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2 just fine on laptops with AMD APUs previously.

7 years ago

I'm not really sure what to do.
I'm not really in a position atm to send back parts or replace parts, etc.

7 years ago

I have a GTS450 and GW2 is running ok. There are some problems if there are to many players on screen. Subnautica is in early access and isn't optimised yet (though it runs fine for me except some lags at the beginning).

7 years ago

Low frequency of RAM, i think better to change it on RAM with higher frequency (And also bad timings of RAM)
Your CPU and Motherboard support's freq. up to 1866 MHZ And if you would like to buy RAM, better change 16Gb one module on two module by 8Gb, it works faster so.
So i think you better change memory on mem with higher frequency.

Best wishes.

7 years ago

Try using 1 hard drive , check all the fans for dust, check all connector's and maybe check your psu if its not giving enough power to the gpu that will cause low frame rates(could cause overheat and blow your psu) , you might need a more powerful psu , and maybe check all gpu's gold connector's again for dust or defects youll have to disconnect it from the motherboard and reconnect it , or you maybe you just need another fan under those harddiskdrive's.

7 years ago

I'll try doing this is the morning.

Thank you.

7 years ago

check out your psu manufacturer site, mine is corsair they have what they call psu finder select your gpucardmodel+ psu model and number of hard drives on the system and it will tell you if you got enough power , and it recommended to have atleast 50 to 100 watts more then what your need , better be above then under

7 years ago

My guess would be something related to Windows 10. Unfortunately a lot of games, especially older ones, seem to have issues with that OS. If you have an older OS sitting around you may want to try it to check and see if there's a difference.

7 years ago

I unfortunately, don't have any OS lying around.

I wish I could just go back to 7, but it's kind of expensive nowadays.

7 years ago

all those games run fine on win 10

7 years ago

a lot of games have problems? which ones would that be? aside from the obvious problem with very old copy protection mechanisms, i didn't hear anything about bad performance on Win10. and in my personal experience no newer or old game ran bad (using Win10 since it was released).

7 years ago

The vast majority of Steam reviews I read these days where people are having technical issues seem to be running Windows 10. It's just an observation, take it as you will.

7 years ago

The vast majority of Steam reviews I read these days where people are having technical issues seem to be running Windows 10.

people with issues run Win10, so Win10 must be the problem?

i think the reason why you read Win10 so often lately, is simply that most people on steam are already on Win10. but that doesn't mean this OS is the cause of their problems.

7 years ago

Based on Steam statistics, 47% of users are running Win10, and about 42% of users are on Win7/8, so slightly more then half of Windows users are on Windows10. Based on that, only slightly more then half of the technical issues reported in reviews should be by Win10 users, but from what I've seen its closer to 2/3. Of course, being a newer OS fewer games will have been designed with it in mind and thus more issues are likely to occur. As is common for Windows, this will be sorted out more as patches/updates/service packs are released.

Again though, this is anecdotal evidence. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you.

7 years ago

exactly, this is the problem. the percentages you mentioned are real facts. the 2/3 are based on a flawed concept - human perception. ;)

yes, it is anecdotal evidence, and therefore i refuse to believe it, until i see actual proof. i wonder if there is such a statistic somewhere on the internet. would be very interesting. i am not denying the possibility of more issues in games with Win10. i just don't want to state it as a fact, when there is no evidence for it.

7 years ago

Bethesda's old GameBryo engine did not like WDDM 2.1 in the Anniversary Update and refuses to work. Took this week for one of the coders to fix the issue with an injected DLL.
Old DirectX 5 or older games did not work on Win10, maybe they still don't.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. A few games ehre and there had problems too, probably, but I cannot remember them, and they were few since most of the problems have already been in Windows 8.x anyway.

7 years ago

Did you install the Anniversary Update?
I heard it could cause some problems with older games, because it upgrades the Windows Display Driver Model version to 2.0, so the games which just did a simple version check would be "confused", because they're searching for something (the older 1.3 version) which isn't there anymore.

7 years ago

Yes I do have the Anniversary update, do you think it can really do that much damage to my games though?

I guess I could try uninstalling it.

7 years ago

WDDM 2.1 did, sadly, yes.
And on a Home version you cannot remove it. Pro/Enterprise users could opt to not install it yet.

7 years ago

Do you have the latest drivers for cpu and gpu? Clean install? Have you optimized the gfx details according to your specs and screen resolution? If you're not sure how, use nvidia geforce experience to download optimal settings for the games and see if there's any progress.

All that said, in 1080p with that card you should be able to play very high / ultra in almost any game.

7 years ago

Yes I have the latest everything and use optimal settings for my games.

Still having this issue with some games.

7 years ago

"•CPU
AMD FX-8320 "

Why are people still building PC's with AMD CPU's. You'd of been better just getting a Pentium G4520.

7 years ago

I don't think thats actually my CPU, my brother built my PC and speccy might be telling me the wrong CPU.

7 years ago

If you type " msinfo32 " into a run box, it will bring up all your hardware info,

7 years ago

turns out it is that.

I don't know

7 years ago

I just remember that I used this SAME CPU with my older build. And everything was fine, for a mid range PC.

7 years ago

Well the whole AMD argumentation here is bullshit.
I'm using a FX 8350 and it's just as good as a Intel processor for the same money.
Bit more energy consumption, but the benchmark tests won't lie.

7 years ago

Better for the same money, actually, in the low to mid-low range. But since few games are CPU intensive and DirectX12/Vulkan games should reduce even that, AMD CPUs for gaming rigs have always been a viable option, especially in the cheaper range. If games suddenly wouldn't require SSE 4.2 as well, the old Phenom CPUs could run anything nowadays (I should know, mine did, but was limited by the GPU eventually).

7 years ago

Well I definitely think that it is your CPU holding your system back, apart from that you have a really nice, high end setup. DX12 is starting to roll out now and it will help a lot in terms of CPU performace, so future games should run better than current ones.

7 years ago

Well I definitely think that it is your CPU holding your system back

Or… you know… it does not.

7 years ago

Oh, great idea, let's use 10 year old Xbox 360 ports as modern CPU benchmarks. >_<

7 years ago

FX CPUs are shit, simple as that.

7 years ago

same i wonder , why amd? , maybe cheaper then intel?

7 years ago

You can pick up Skylake Pentium chips for like $70-100, just as cheap as AMD but with intel's 6th gen tech.

7 years ago

Because otherwise Intel would just create a monopoly, and you would be paying Xeon E7 prices for Celerons.

7 years ago

Well you talking bullshit.. as i have machine with 8350 +1060 and i get more fps then some intel (i5 and i7) based machines
So, no... not really cpu's fault unless it's broken...

7 years ago

No you're not.

7 years ago

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-2100-vs-AMD-FX-8350

The FX 8350 is barely on par with a 6 year old I3.

7 years ago

what that even means... for example i get like 50-57 fps on Mafia 3 while other users with i5 or i7 paired with 1060 barely can hit 40 fps... look up on youtube.

i'm sure it will be the same with some other games it can be 1-2 fps difference only. not worth shitting that much on AMD for few fps difference. I know it is not so special CPU but not worth so much hate either. CPU is not a fault why this guy has problems with some games..

7 years ago

I cant tell you anything specific sadly but it's dark side of PC gaming. I have pretty good PC as well but some games just plainly refuses to run well. Some games are badly optimized,some doesnt use your GPU at all and some just doesnt run well on specific rigs... For example i have solid 60 on Witcher 3 with Ultra settings but cant get stable on Source engine game...for some reason :D.

7 years ago

I used to own a CD of the original System Shock back around 15 years ago. I was never able to get it to run at a playable frame rate, no matter how many years passed and how good of hardware I got (never had any problems playing the sequel though). PC gaming can be weird like that sometimes.

7 years ago

The problem is most likely badly optimized games especially Guild Wars ... if i remember correctly Borderlands 2 and most prob some other games as well use PhysX which runs good on Intel CPU's and purposely awful on AMD ones (as the their tech isn't open sauce). Similar issue but affecting the AMD GPU performance only > shitty NVIDIA HairWorks.

Try and disable or reduce the PhysX - that might make a great difference ...

7 years ago*

You don't mix AMD and nVidia man.
Like DominusFerrus said, could be something related to PhysX, since nvidia and intel are BFFs and they don't play well with others, try disabling that in games that have it.

But, it could just be that the games don't go along too well with your software, rather than your hardware. I'd check forums for each one and see if other people are having problems running them in the same OS version you have.

7 years ago

what i think "AMD is good with ati radeon vid cards" ->intel goes with nvidia

7 years ago

That's exactly it. Except they don't call them ATi for some years now.

7 years ago

k , amd bought ati i think couple years ago if i recall , i only owned 1 ati card back in 2005-06 and it literally melted all the capacitor's blew up =lol
so whats the new name for ati just out of curiosity?

7 years ago

It's AMD Radeon now.

7 years ago

Ah facepalm! How'd these geniuses came with that name omfg.

7 years ago

make sure the games with problems are actually even utilizing the nvidia gpu and not just using the onboard gpu (see image)
additionally i'd mess with the physx tab as well, try changing what processor the physx is using (right below #1 arrow)

View attached image.
7 years ago*

I played Guild Wars 2 on Windows 10 on i5 3570, 8GB RAM and GF 550Ti... It ran really fine... Also played Borderlands 2 without any problem.
In the meantime, I replaced my 550Ti for 750Ti, and Borderlands is working great (didn't try GW2, since)...

So, the problem is either faulty hardware or CPU/GF combination (or, possibly problem with drivers for 1060, but I doubt it... It's not so new any more, and we're talking about popular games)...

You shouldn't have bought AMD with GF, that is definitely true... Actually, IMO, you shouldn't have bought AMD, either way. But that's just AMD hater in me talking...

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago

That's not the problem. I play GW2 with a 8320 and have a worse GFX card and I have no issues with performance.

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

probably not - but benchmarks do not equate to real life use - much like the SG and IRL activities :-) - sometimes some people luck out with a good setup - irrespective of the cpu - I have an old amd still rocking along happily as my movies server :)

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago*

In my opinion they are - look at all the hate between AMD Radeon and Nvidia - benchmarks show different results for all things - and many variables can effect these - including just one crappy forced update of win 10 from microsoft (that is indeed becoming more of a problem as crappy forced updates are rolled out without our permission :) - but that is, of course, a personal opinon :-P

7 years ago

The benchmark isn't wrong but 43.8 fps doesn't equal stuttering and low frame rates. It's not the best CPU for gaming but it's definitely adequate. That's my point. If the game is stuttering and getting very low frame rates then there is something else wrong.

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago*

I am not seeing that 30-50 fps figure here. Just that it's "stuttering".

7 years ago

I've played GW2 for... 4865 hours and what I know is that it's very CPU reliant. The AMD FX-8320 is the cause of your poor performance. Your 1060 is powerful enough for 1080p at 60 FPS on high/medium settings.

7 years ago

The problem is likely that AMD tells windows it has 8 cores when it really only has 4.

This is dishonest marketing by AMD should be punished by boycotting them.

Every pair of cores shares a dispatch unit so it's really 4 cores with hyperthreading (which also sucks on Intel but they throw in extra cache and MHz to hide the failure).

For the record, Intel and nVidia also send engineers to help major engine developers solve performance issues but AMD doesn't because they spent their money on management bonuses instead of engineers for the past several years.

In the past there were patches for specific games and the Windows 7 scheduler but as AMD continued to do it many people simply quit buying them.

7 years ago

if that is the case, is there a way to force it to read 4 cores?

7 years ago

The last AMD system I built was Windows 7 and there were several patches to fix the issue but the Windows system I use now is 10 on an Intel so I haven't kept up with the AMD issues & patches (I redid those systems as Linux).

7 years ago

That was true only at the beginning. Windows 7 was already patched to make good use of the 4 "modules". Any newer OS doesn't need any patch.

7 years ago

Do you use the energy saving setting on Windows Power Management? If so, change to the performance setting.

7 years ago

It's in high power mode.

7 years ago

If my CPU is the problem, I'm seriously screwed here. I can't afford another CPU atm.

7 years ago

they run like crap

Like how much fps are we talking about ?

7 years ago

30-50 fps.
(Sorry for the late reply, I'm moving)

7 years ago

Since when 30fps is "crap"?!?!?!? Damn, man, I play some games at 15-20fps & I'm not complaining (much).

7 years ago

Well when you invest a lot into a PC, it is crap.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

I've already done this.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

That was only a medium-grade CPU when it was released 4 years ago. Not sure why you used it in a new PC. In addition, that MB is only PCIe 2, which will limit performance in some cases.

But I'm not sure that explains GW2 being slow, given that (I think) I've run it on a slower CPU and GPU in the past.

7 years ago

i use pcie 2 and barely limits performance, its been proven many times that its almost not even noticable

7 years ago

It was a left over part -_-
I've said this before.

7 years ago

Define "lower CPU". GW2 is very CPU intensive. It requires very good single core performance, and doesn't benefit from more than 4 cores. Even a 2nd gen i3 (dual core) outperforms an FX-8xxx in GW2.

7 years ago

The GPU is certainly NOT at fault here. If there's no problem with drivers, Windows, etc, then it's just the poor CPU which is holding you back. Why would you pair it with a 1060?

7 years ago

The CPU was a left over part, I've said this before -_-

7 years ago

It's the win10 anniversary, had same problem with most of my games.
As a side note the fps in Dead by Daylight atm is pretty good with the latest patch.

7 years ago

I tried looking up ways on how to uninstall the anniversary update after 10 days, but no luck.

7 years ago

Its the CPU 100%.
I would get a new one or check your settings and change some of them so your CPU doesn't have to work too hard. Especially in Borderlands it has a nvida thing that makes your game run like crap unless u have a high end PC

7 years ago

Your CPU is crap, either wait for Zen or buy Intel.

7 years ago

If this happened after the anniversary update, this just might do the trick. Turn off game DVR from your windows Xbox app.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/4xu9vi/bad_fps_after_latest_win10_anniversary_update_got/

No promises tho. it fixed some of my games for me.

7 years ago

I've already disabled the DVR feature.

7 years ago

Maybe check the Power Management Mode in the Nvidia Control Panel > Program Settings > "Game.exe". On some games, setting it to Prefer Maximum Performance has helped me.

7 years ago

should have brought a RX480 :v, try reinstalling windows all together, if your previous card was AMD.

if not check your cards frequency while playing games, make sure its running at the supposed speed, and lastly try Geforce (bad)experience and "optimize" the game trough there.

7 years ago

I've done this.
And the RX and the 1060 are pretty much the same.
I just prefer Nvidia. :/

7 years ago

new games performance waves on favor of the AMD :P so that sameness might not last.

if you done all that then im out of ideas sry.

7 years ago

I'm not looking for an AMD fanboy, I'm looking for a solution.

Sorry.

7 years ago

it might very well be the AMD CPU that is holding it back :P

i have an NVIDIA card D:

7 years ago

First of all there's nothing inherently wrong with your CPU. The FX is still a faster processor than the majority of people on Steam have. Sure, Intels are technically better but it's not like the FX is a Pentium 4.
What is the PSU in your build?
Have you tried the GPU in a different PC or a different GPU in your PC?
Have you tried reducing the monitor settings to 720P in your games to see wether the situation improves as the GPU isn't taxed then?
Anything overclocked? Is the memory setting on automatic? Can you manually set it to 933?
Are there any case fans in your PC? Have you tried it with the side panel removed so the MB components get better cooling?
PCIe 2 or 3 doesn't make much of difference in rl.
What made me wonder is that you reported Borderlands 2 as being stuttery. The other games are CPU intensive or just crap. BL2 should be running smooth though.
Try playing with just the main system drive connected. Also disconnect as much unused stuff as possible.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.