"Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen was given chest compressions after collapsing on the field during a European Championship game against Finland.

Eriksen fell to the ground near the sideline late in the first half and was immediately surrounded by medical personnel. His teammates formed a shielding wall around him to give him privacy as the medics treated him."

https://apnews.com/article/switzerland-europe-health-coronavirus-pandemic-international-soccer-91c0ba352d25986ac351ff285952b763

[Edit] Official word is that he has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised.
https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403765507682193409

[Edit 2] Eriksen can talk and the match is resumed by his request.

[Edit 3] Looks like Eriksen shows positive signs on a good recovery.

2 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Kinda fucked that they didn't cut off the feed but instead showed his girlfriend crying on the pitch πŸ™„

I hope he recovers well.

2 years ago

Like to agree with you, and they kept airing until that really long decision been made to resume the match.

News is now that he can talk, so seems good news.

2 years ago

The feed doesn't just cut off since its up and running several hours before the game even starts. It's up to individual programmes to decide what to do with that feed. The programme I watched it on, went to commercials right after it was decided the match will not resume right away and I believe that's what most programmes do.

2 years ago

I was watching Dutch television, and they aired everything until Eriksen was carried off the pitch. I think BBC changed the programme altogether. But even so, they could have at least not aimed the camera at Eriksen getting CPR or his girlfriend crying πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ That was very deliberate, and was in bad taste imo.

2 years ago

Watched the game. You hear about players collapsing all the time, but this time it is a world-known player and during the Euro... So of course, this shit already posted all over the social media

2 years ago

all the time ?
you hear wrong

2 years ago

Citation needed

2 years ago

2 years ago

the notes section is terrifying :O (swallowed tongue, struck by lightning, ...)

I'm never playing sports again!

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

2 years ago

Oof. Getting a head start on the RIP thread?

This doesn’t belong in General.

2 years ago

Interesting point btw, should Movies / TV also include sports?

2 years ago

I guess you could say sports is kind of in TV when we watch that at home? Oh, those categories. Β―_(ツ)_/Β―

2 years ago

Kinda, what is the difference between pro-wrestling and sports anyways....

2 years ago

I'd say pro-wrestling is more of an "entertainment" than sport? Theater even? I wouldn't dare to say, never understood this thing anyways :D

2 years ago

(don't hate me for that :D)

2 years ago

I remember when Feher (Benfica player) died on the pitch over a decade ago under very similar circumstances-- he was even smiling before collapsing... I can only hope the same outcome won't happen this time.

2 years ago

Statement from UEFA sounds hopeful πŸ™

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403765507682193409

2 years ago

We got a dutch soccer player Nouri that played for Ajax that even went into a coma and got brain damage which possibly could have been prevented because they looked too much in clearing his throat rather then looking at his heart.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

Statement from Danish football association saying he's awake, so that's positive! πŸ‘

https://twitter.com/DBUfodbold/status/1403766834655080449

edit: According to his agent Eriksen is conscious and capable of talking.

2 years ago*

πŸ‘

2 years ago

I've just come home and I've heard that in news. I don't care too much about football to watch whole matches yet this kind of news is always disturbing. Such young and strong men, you could think, and yet such things can happen to them.

Quick edit: just heard an update, apparently he had a heart attack. My god, at this age! I used to think heart attacks is an issue of elders. World is crazy nowadays.

2 years ago

It's not uncommon, not just with soccer players but with any kind of sport, any age.
Apparently something to do with a sudden strain on the heart, but could also be perhaps they always had an underlying heart condition that they never knew and sometimes even then they can't predict things.

It happened not that long ago i think with another sporter but i can't think of a name or the sport.

I got cardiomyopathy, in shows from the eighties i watch, it gets treated like something you can die early from, meanwhile my heart is still fine and they can't predict how it would progress, could be a pacemaker like my dad with bags full of medicine, or it stays fine.

2 years ago*

I guess you're right, if I think about it, it happens in news every once in a while. Just tho cause of the overall progress you can hear about it recently way more often than, let's say, 10 years ago. Still, no matter how common or not it is, it's always disturbing to hear about such cases for young, strong people in their prime time.

Oh wow. I hope it stays fine for you, I really do!

2 years ago

You are absolutely right. Fortunately the medical world is continuing to progress that hopefully and eventually one day they find these things easier to diagonese beforehand / treatments afterwards.

And, thank you.

2 years ago

Thanks god that he survived.. fantastic work by doctors

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.