The task

Welcome lovely people of SG!

I was fascinated by video games since I was a literal baby, which resulted in a lot of titles that I remembered playing or seeing, but with no knowledge about their origins or even titles. A very common thing across people that started to play the games earlier than they were capable of understand what is going on in them, and I was no exception.

This is why a while ago I started to categorize all those old forgotten games, based purely on my flawed memories and logical deduction (as I don't have access to any materials from back then). Since I'm struggling with one specific title, and at the same time have a lot of games to give away, I decided to do a small game-hunting on SG, in which you can help me find my missing sheep, and I can make some giveaways as my grattitude.

The clues

Facts that I'm sure about:

Facts that I'm almost sure about:

• I had a pinball game, I'm almost sure it was Epic Pinball, since I recall at least a few tables.
  • I had at least one drawing game, I think it could be Magic Crayon but I can't remember too many details except a huge palette of colors on the bottom.
  • I'm almost sure that I had Battle Chess, I remembered how my father showed me "magical trick" with king and tower, even if I don't think I really understood how chess worked back then at all.
  • I had a lot of other games, but this should be enough to narrow-down the expected timeframe, technical capabilities and the potential catalogue. Listing all of them doesn't help.

The facts that I'm not sure about, so majority of my memories and thoughts about actual game:

• The game was a 2D point & click adventure, there was a (male?) character doing quests that pushed the story forward. The character interacted with the objects, moved in 3D world shown from 2D perspective, like you could expect from classic point & click adventures.
  • The location I best remembered was some kind of village with a lot of citizens. I remember we were supposed to find some lost item (sheep?) and bring it back to the owner, which in result gave us something else we were supposed to offer to other character and so on. It was a very simple chain-like linear progression, but the locations were plenty. It felt more like a maze, I remember I had to move across at least a few screens before I found what I was looking for, so the game wasn't too clustered. There were some dialogues too, although I don't remember anything specific about them.
  • I think the game had simple palette of colours, it could be monochromatic or something very limited. I might be wrong on this because I don't remember very well but they either were black-and-white, or some limited 16-32, max 255 colors. However, this might not be game-specific, because I remember Mickey's ABC to also be in the same palette of colours, so very likely it was my monitor. The fact that I remember both of those games in the similar palette could be some clue.
  • The graphics style was the most similar to the first Prince of Persia, it could be some a bit older game than the majority of those I remembered.
  • I can't say anything about the audio, since I only had PC speaker at that time and all games were just bleep and bloops for me, this one as well.
  • The games that mostly resemble what my memories are composed of are King's Quest, The Secret of Monkey Island and Simon the Sorcerer. The overall setting and scenery was definitely more on the King's Quest side, but the dialogues, especially the spoken letters looked like from Simon's and Monkey's Island. I can't tell if the game had more simple interface with just the mouse/items, or the full interface with all the actions like Simon/Monkey Island. My logical deduction suggests that there was more simplified interface, but my memories tend to disagree with it. Overall I'm confused about that part.
  • I didn't play a lot of difficult games as a child (obviously), so it could be some more simple/straightforward point & click adventure. I remember how Simon or Monkey's Island (not sure which one I had, but they had similar design) was too hard for me due to too many options and objects to interact with, so instead I played something easier, but also in the same manner.

Mostly irrelevant stuff, but won't hurt to list:

• I come from Poland, I was born in 1993, and we're looking for the first 3 years of my life here.
  • Poland did a lot of deals with the Russia back in 90s, there was still a lot of imports (mostly pirated), but maybe there was something more popular in the east rather than the west, so it could be some clue.
  • I don't recall having any other game console during that time, so I'm pretty sure that dos/ms-dos was the only game system that I used back then.

The prize

I'll verify all your picks, either via youtube videos or my own gameplay if impossible otherwise. I'm quite positive that I'll recognize the right game if I'm presented with the gameplay, and I'll try to give useful feedback in regards to all your picks, how similar it is to the one I remembered.

The first person that finds my hidden sheep gets something nice off his/her wishlist, a dozen of sacks of gems or a dozen of bundle games of his/her choice from my list, up to you. I'll make sure that you're rewarded for your effort, considering I wasn't able to find the game myself.

In addition to that, we start with 10 giveaways for the effort (right now), 50 giveaways minimum for finding the solution, and up to another 50 if you somehow manage to solve my puzzle in less than 50h, 1 giveaway extra per each saved hour.

The gotchas

Please note that we're basing purely on my memories, which are bound to be flawed, especially in regards to being more than 22 years old. Until now I properly recognized at least a dozen of games that I used to play back then (including all titles mentioned above), which is why I was able to list a good amount of them. This one however is a real mystery for me, I couldn't find any game that matched my memories, even if I successfully did it with all other ones. It could be some homebrew game, local distribution or even a bootleg.

I'm not even sure if this game has even ever existed to begin with, since I could make up all of it as a child, but then I think I wouldn't remember it that well if something like that was just a part of a dream or child's imagination. Therefore, if by any chance I made you waste time searching for a game that doesn't exist, I apologize in advance and I hope that my giveaways can make up for that. I also don't expect miracles, it's a long-shot of "maybe somebody will recognize something, but no guarantees".

This is one of the very last games (if not the last itself) that I'm still missing on my list, this is why I want to solve this mystery once for good, and I really ran out of ideas and deduction at this point, so maybe there will be someone with that magical thought of "wait, I remember a game like that, damn, what was it called again...". I really hope we can tackle this one down, and if not, then I can always say that I tried, and hopefully my giveaways will make up for the lost effort.

All bumps and everything else that can help us find the right game is welcome, I'll also try my best to help, since I want to solve this puzzle more than you do :3.

Happy hunting!

The giveaways

10 initial ones to kickstart the effort:

#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10

Remaining 90 ones as a reward for finding the game:

#Train

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

First game which comes to my mind is Loom.

I am sure it had sheeps later in game. ;)

View attached image.
5 years ago*

I looked at the gameplay and you were right in terms of sheeps, but I'm quite positive this is not the one we're looking for, sadly. I remember that I played as a typical male guy, maybe a peasant, a young teen or some local villager, but definitely not a magician in a robe with a stick. However I didn't outright negate it, since it indeed could be just some specific scene in the middle of the game, so I quickly went through the whole video to find any scene I could possibly remember, but no luck, it's entirely unknown to me, so I think it's not the one we're looking for.

Thank you for trying!

5 years ago

Oh, then you should give a try to Loom when you find some time. Beautiful game with somewhat heavy story. And music from Swan Lake. Can only recommend it. ;)

And I will try one more, Mother Goose? X)

5 years ago

YOU DID IT!

I immediately recalled the graphics, but the moment I heard those bleep bloops I knew this is the one, this song immediately stuck in my nostalgic head!

And here is our lost sheep too!

THANK YOU

I've probably played 1991 remake myself, I think I can remember the UI, and the fact that there is a mouse as opposed to keyboard only. It was either 1991 or the original, definitely not deluxe from 1996, as that one has too modern graphics, and the year doesn't match my timeframe either.

But the actual version is less important, it's definitely this game! Thank you!

(I'll contact with you on Steam in regards to the promised prize)

5 years ago*

Oh, wow! I am so happy for you! :D
I liked this game so much! It's so cute! :3

I am really happy I could help!
And now I am also impressed that my knowledge of games was for something useful once. XD

5 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5G2YHOw3XI Can we discard King Quest VI?

Also, Dragonsphere (3d in 2d world) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAwIEWktWYI

5 years ago*

I checked out all king's quests because this was also my first thought that it could be just one of those, but sadly no success. King's Quest VI has too "modern" graphics for me, I remembered my game as King's Quest III-IV graphics, but I couldn't classify it as king's quest 1-4 either.

Dragonsphere looked VERY similar in terms of setting, but also too modern graphics, too many dialogues and cutscenes. I'm not sure but I think my game didn't have a lot of cutscenes or even dialogues, or maybe I just spent a lot of time looking for stuff instead of progressing, I don't know, but sadly those two don't look right to me, even if they're very similar otherwise. I checked both videos carefully to make sure I don't recall any scene.

Thank you for trying!

5 years ago

Well, just a wild guess, maybe Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™? Or pretty similar Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade™. I doubt it, because both of them kinda hard, that does not go well with your description.

5 years ago

It was Mixed-Up Mother Goose, but thank you for trying!

5 years ago

Could it be Black Cauldron?

5 years ago

That game is very similar, but It was Mixed-Up Mother Goose after all. Thank you for trying Doshie! :3

5 years ago

5 years ago

It doesn't fit great but what about The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate?
I would have guessed the original Kyrandia but, as far as I remember, it didn't have a sheep.

View attached image.
5 years ago

5 years ago

5 years ago

And you were right too, the same as Kyrrelin, I'll think of some consolation prize for being 8 minutes too late, thank you!

5 years ago

Didn't even realized it yet, someone already guessed it, i have these databases, and i was just getting at the M. :P
There are actually 3 versions of this game, very early EGA graphics, Enhanced, and VGA.

Glad you found it, i am still looking after 10 years for an old adventure game, tried asking here too, but that one is really too vague.

5 years ago*

From your description I would say one of the early Quest for Glory games...

5 years ago

5 years ago

Glad you found out :)

5 years ago

Since the solution was found in less than an hour, this means I need to create 100 giveaways now, so hold on tight, I'll update the OP with all the links.

Thank you all for help, now you can compare my memories with the gameplay and see how wrong (or right) they were :3.

5 years ago*

#Train now added to the OP, enjoy! :3

5 years ago

Majority of gibs end in 11h, so be swift!

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by JustArchi.