My video just stuck on 640x480 resolution and can't change it ... there is no other options, is there someone who know how to fix it and why is it like that ... video card is: XFX Radeon R9 290X... Is the problem can be from the motherboard, but when i plug other video card, everything is okay...

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Maybe it's driver problems of some kind. Try uninstalling drivers with DDU and reinstalling them?

5 years ago

I'm with clean install of windows and with the latest drivers and still its same...

5 years ago

Can you test the card in some other PC? It could also just be broken.

Edit: also have you connected all extra power cable to the GPU? I think I once had a similar problem, usually they don't boot without them but some might only enable VGA resolutions.

5 years ago*

Yes, one is with 4 and one with 3 ,but can't test in other PC...

5 years ago

What motherboard do you have and Is the other card you're testing with much older than the 290X?

Edit: many people seem to have the same problem because of a bad HDMI/DP port on the GPU, can you try with different type or maybe DVI?

5 years ago*

Other one is gtx 660ti, motherboard is asus m5a97

5 years ago

Sorry to hear! Make sure you have the correct drivers installed for your graphics card from AMD's site

5 years ago

I'm with clean install of windows and with the latest drivers and still its same...

5 years ago

Are you talking about the desktop resolution, or resolution in games?

Have the drivers been installed okay? Can you open AMD Settings and see the information it displays about the graphics card and drivers?

5 years ago

Desktop resolution... the latest drivers and i can :)

5 years ago

Does the system recognize the card properly? Can you see it in gpu-z and speccy? Does any of these apps reports a problem/issue?

5 years ago

that was my first thought as well
please check if it is not using the onboard GPU

5 years ago

Isn't that simple to check where the cable goes. And what generation of onboard GPUs only give VGA resolutions while supporting using a new card like that?

5 years ago

https://imgur.com/a/Cr4hwTV... seems like nope, but how to fix it ? Also its not about cables... i try it with the each slot...

5 years ago

Make sure it's not disabled in BIOS.

5 years ago

I cant it doesnt load the bios, directly the windows... i need to do it with the other card

5 years ago

Hold F2 or whatever button is for the BIOS for your motherboard before powering on your PC. This should do the trick

5 years ago

You mean, you aren't even able to access the BIOS with this card attached and you have to switch the cards in order to access it?
Oh well, your card is most likely broken then.

5 years ago

Exactly

5 years ago

I would highly suspect the graphics card instead of the motherboard.
There is not much you can do now other than replacing the card. Oh wait, maybe the infamous Ghetto-Reflow-Method will work, but there's no guarantee for it, and if you really want to test it out, it's more adviseable to use a hot air blower than the baking oven.

5 years ago

It doesn't make any sense. If it doesn't go past BIOS it can't load Windows. Make sure you repeatedly press your BIOS key (F2, F10, Delete) until the BIOS settings show up.

5 years ago

Could be, if fast/ultra fast boot is enabled and the other card does not support it. My mainboard manufacturer has a "reboot into bios" exe, for that purpose, since in UEFI with ultra fast boot, you will NOT get into the bios if windows boots properly.

5 years ago

You can still enter BIOS, even with Fast Boot enabled if you hold down the F2 key, then power on. The key might vary depending on the manufacturer but F2 is a pretty safe bet.

5 years ago

When you enable ultra fast boot (at least mine) the mainboard literally tells you that you can NOT enter the BIOS anymore.
With fast boot you can still do it, but it's not as easy as without.

5 years ago

That's correct. If Ultra mode is enabled then a restart to UEFI or a CMOS reset is required.

5 years ago

The monitor starts when Windows loaded... dosn't show if the windows is not loaded...

5 years ago

Is it skipping the BIOS because of fast boot or is the monitor not coming on fast enough to see the Power On Self Test (POST) screen? If it's because of fast boot, you can get in the BIOS using the advanced startup option in Windows. If you have Windows 10, search for "advanced startup" in the windows settings and it should find it, if not it's oddly enough on the Update & Security > Recovery page. Click the Restart now button and it will reboot into the BIOS. Another way is to remove the power for about a minute and this usually makes the PC display the POST screen. If none of those work, you'll need to get your MB's manual and find out how to reset the BIOS, it's a jumper or switch on the MB itself. After doing a manual reset, the PC should stop after the POST asking you to press a key to load default settings and continue or another key to enter the settings.

If the monitor is not coming on fast enough to see the POST screen, just spam the button after pressing the power. You can also try holding it down as Argamore says, because sometimes it will stop on the POST screen thinking you have a stuck key. As for what key, you'll need to press, you'll have to look in the manual as it varies between manufacturers. DEL is the most commonly used key, but I've seen systems that use F1, F2, F10, F11, F12. and some odd ones that used HOME and INS.

I had a similar problem with an AMD card a while back and it turned out to be the monitor. If you're using a DVI cable, try using a VGA cable instead. This will narrow down the problem. If your card doesn't have a VGA port, you will need a DVI to VGA adapter. Cards used to come with them, but newer ones probably don't. There is a chip in the monitor contains the Extended Display Identification Data (EDID). It basically tells the video card what it can handle, and somehow the EDID in my monitor became corrupted. My old NVIDIA card was working, but when I bought the new AMD card, the monitor never came on until it was at the Windows desktop and like you, I was in 640x480. AMD cards are real picky about that EDID, if they can't read it, it only runs it in a safe resolution of 640x480 @ 60Hz. I used the DVI to VGA adapter and VGA cable and it worked. I was able to borrow a friends monitor and the new AMD card worked on it over DVI. In the end, I put my old NVIDIA GPU back in, sent the AMD card back and bought a new NVIDIA card. At that time the NVIDIA card was more expensive and not as fast, but in order to use the AMD card I would have had to buy a new monitor too.

5 years ago

Still didn't give it a try with VGA... but with the other motherboard everything was okay with the monitor ...

5 years ago

Did you download drivers directly from AMD site or did you update them through Windows?

5 years ago

I try both...

5 years ago

Sorry, stupid question: did you put the HDMI/DVI/Displayport cable into the GPU and not into the motherboard?

5 years ago

yes

5 years ago

I just try to start a game and got blue screen

5 years ago

Try the DVI connection as well. Sometimes it's a port issue.

5 years ago

did you reboot your computer? im not talking about "shutdown" option

++

you can also try

Display Settings--> Advanced Display Settings--> Display Adapter Properties--> List All Modes-->Choose resolution

5 years ago*

Does your processor have an integrated vga?
Try using the MB ports rather than the card ones.
And nuke the drivers and reinstall them.

5 years ago

Well. I read the interaction so far.

1. Power supply shortage
  2. Initial failure of graphic board

Sometimes you set it up with UEFI (BIOS), but you said that it is not displayed?
Is it not displayed even when switching the display connection to the onboard side while the graphic board is plugged in?
If it seems to be displayed, switch to the setting that gives priority to the graphic board side.
Switching the display connection to the graphic board side when restarting.

Well, because it is "machine translation", please do not expect too much. XD 

ooO(R9 290X = TDP 290w so hard)

5 years ago*

I find often the simplest things causes the biggest problems. When it comes to graphics cards the first thing to check is always that the monitor cable is plugged into the card and not the motherboard. I know, it sounds obvious, but it's the kind of mistakes we all do all the time. (In general tech support issues are very often caused by cables having slipped out, being attached wrong, or being the wrong kind.)

You do mention it works fine when attaching another card though, so I'd suggest having a look at the connectors of the GPU and make sure it seats properly and has good connections all through. This is the internal version of the above - so often a problem is solved with a little extra shove... or by realizing you have a card that isn't compatible with your mother board.

And when all else fails - it's probably the PSU. Faulty or underpowered PSU causes massive issues that are often very hard to diagnose because things just don't work, or work fine until they bluescreen, with very little indication of what caused it. Spending money on a good PSU is the first thing you learn the hard way when you build a lot of systems.

Best of luck!

5 years ago

Sounds like the card could be faulty. To make sure:

1 - Try changing the PCIe slot to check if it's the slot having problem.
2 - Recheck, and if possible change the 8-pin power connector to the card. Some PSU unit comes with extra cables, especially if it's modular.
Sometimes if your card isn't getting enough juice, the board can't detect it.

5 years ago

is the card recognized correctly in device manager?

5 years ago

Yes is recognized correctly in the Device Manager, also its not drivers(i try everything), its not PCI-e slots, try both... its not the PSU(its 650W) and working well before... i can't try it with VGA, because i don't have, but that is not the problem(was working before), so i don't know what can be ... when i plug the other video card(everything is okay)... also with the problem video, monitor not coming on fast enough to see the bios, its turn on when the windows is loaded or if the windows is not loaded , monitor is not even coming on ... also i try to stat a game and it cause a blue screen after 5 sec.. but the strange is ... everything same, only motherboard was different and the card was working well ... i even played GTA V... but with that motherboard don't work, but the other card works .. don't really know

5 years ago

The info on the screen from dxdiag you posted looks strange. There should be actual values reported by vga driver and not just "static" value everywhere. In device manager, under monitors, make sure there is something like "generic PnP" or your actual monitor name. There mustn't be "non PnP".

edit: did you try all graphics' outputs? (at least those you have cable for)
edit2: if the device is recognized correctly in device manager, does the screen blink and can you hear the "device disconnected" sound if you disable/uninstall the driver for it?

5 years ago*

Yes i try all outputs... in the device manager just show the name of the video card, but the values are strange too... there is no sound after disconnected or when i disable/uninstall the drivers... monitor turn on too slow also

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

I think that at this point it would be worth posting some more details.

What Windows version are you using?
What motherboard? BIOS version?
What monitor?
Any other things you care to mention.

Am I understanding correctly that you changed motherboards and then the problem started?

5 years ago

i change my case and my motherboard ... previous motherboard was Gigabyte 78LMT S2 ... Windows 10 PRO, CPU - AMD 8350, 16GB RAM , Video - XFX AMD r9 290... now everything is same, but with new case and new motherboard - asus m5a97 ... monitor was same too and everything was okay...
Now even monitor dosn't turn on - its says No signal... but when change the video card with gtx 660TI goes okay ... Monitor is ViewSonic VG2230wm ... here a screen from hardwaremonitor for r9 290 - https://imgur.com/a/LHMQzXd ... is the motherboard is the problem or something happened to the video card ...

5 years ago

Ah, the problems occured right after you changed your motherboard?
Well maybe you encountered some odd incompatibility between your card and MB. Asus MBs can sometimes be a little bitchy with certain components.

You should test your card in another PC or MB, I think that's the easiest way to find out if the card is faulty or not.

5 years ago

I could find that the m5a97 + R9 290 is something that worked for people, so it's not a problem with complete incompatibility, but it does seem that the m5a97 tends to have problems with graphics cards.

It's also possible that something happened to the graphics card. When I had problems with my HTPC I took out my RX 460 (with some effort) and when I put it back in it didn't work.

Edit: Also, have you installed the chipset drivers? Probably won't matter, because you already have a problem in BIOS, but just another thing to check.

5 years ago*

Any update?

5 years ago

I try the video card with my friend pc and it worked.. now change the video card again with other motherboard and the situation is same.. so the problem is not motherboard or video.. don't know what can be ... i try with the old motherboard and again everything is the same - 640x480 .. when i try with the other video card everything worked ...

5 years ago

It might be a problem with your PSU, you should check it as well. ;)

5 years ago

It's interesting that the old motherboard doesn't work and it worked before.

Perhaps something happened to the 6 pin / 8 pin power cables. If the card is getting less power than expected it might be a problem.

(Long shot, but at this point I think we checked all the immediate suspects.)

5 years ago

I try with other psu and its same...

5 years ago

okay i changed the cable with VGA and now i can change the resolution and can see the BIOS, but can't use my high resolution 1680x1050... can use only 1600x1200

5 years ago

That happens too, especially when the VGA cable is a cheap off-brand cable. Or if you use some sort of cheap off-brand HDMI-to-VGA converter.

As for higher resolution, that depends on your monitor and the cable as well. Monitor that still uses VGA are generally lower in resolution. You should try changing to DVI or HDMI if your monitor support those. If not, it is time to upgrade your monitor.

Side note: I'm curious why are you using 1600x1200? That seems to be 4:3 aspect ratio. Nowadays people commonly use 16:9 or 16:10 .

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Closed 1 year ago by erntTt.