So i'm going to buy a new gaming laptop. I have an absolute maximum budget of £950. After a lot of research I have come up with these different laptops that each have very similar specs but are different brands. I'm not sure which one to pick and was hoping someone would be able to give some useful input on which to buy?
ASUS G750JM-T4049H
MSI GE60 2PF(Apache Pro)-609UK
Chillblast Defiant 2

Those are the 3 that I discovered but if anyone has any other recommendations that are better for the budget then that would be great! Also if anyone has any experience with buying from any of the companys I have listed than that would be nice to hear.

I also think its worth adding that I don't want to hear any arguments about how a desktop PC is better than a laptop. I have decided on buying a laptop because I need the portability of it and I am not going to change my mind.

And a small giveaway to thank you for your help!

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

9 years ago

Yeah i've heard a lot of good stuff about them but havn't really heard much about chillblast before now.

9 years ago

As a graduation present I upgraded my laptop, I was between an MSI GS70 and an Asus G750, both of them are superb machine but in the end I went with MSI since it's an ultra light laptop and I love it since the first day (about 5 months ago, I even sold my PS4 since it's so much better), I just make sure to put my cooling pad ($20) under it when gaming since it gets ultra hot too.

Now regarding your dilemma, I would go with the MSI GE60 without a shadow of a doubt. Why? Its SSD makes it blazingly fast to boot and turn off AND it packs a bigger HDD and a better CPU. Even if you find the 15" too little just hook it to your TV through HDMI and you're set! :]

9 years ago

You should add a mouse, cooling system, mouse pad, backpack. With that budget you can't go wrong, buy I would go for the MSI because of the SSD.

9 years ago

I already have a mouse, mouse pad and backpack. What kind of cooling system do you mean? Don't they already have inbuilt cooling systems?
And yeah the MSI does have quite an advantage with the SSD.

9 years ago

I think he means a chillpad. Typically they are lap pads with 1-3 fans the suck in air and blow them directly on the laptop's underside. Can run 10-50 bucks depending on model.

That laptop is sure to get mighty warm when gaming.

9 years ago

am i sleepy or the Chillblast as a 1TB SSD hard drive? :V
if so i would go for the Chillblast or the Asus, i mean a TB SSD hard drive is crazy but usually "bigger brands" like asus provide better assistance

9 years ago

No its a hybrid drive! Thats a mixture between SSD and HDD. I wish I could have a TB SSD!! :P
I guess thats true about the big brands but I think MSI is a big brand as well? Havn't really heard of chillblast before.

9 years ago

I think sold your kidney and buy Dell Alienware http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

9 years ago

Nope. Alienware is way to overpriced for what it is!

9 years ago

Make that both kidneys then.

9 years ago

Would go for msi, it has a faster CPU and SSD

9 years ago

9 years ago

Can't use that site cause they don't post to the UK but found this- http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/wV665/which-gaming-laptop-should-i-buy
It is more expensive and has 16GB of ram instead of 8GB and also has a 4GB version of the graphics card, which I don't know how much of an advantage that is? But personally i'd rather buy a laptop thats dedicated to gaming and is built specifically for that, and that laptop doesn't seem like it is.

9 years ago

Yup, Lenovo laptops sure are WAY expensive from that side of the Atlantic...

clicky

9 years ago

Wow that is expensive. I know we have VAT tax at 20% but that still doesn't justify that high of a discriminating price!

9 years ago

i7-4700HQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB
12.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD

I got Lenovo Y50 with specs above less than 15 days ago and so far its great , I paid it 9990 SEK which is around 830£ .
http://www.mediamarkt.se/mcs/product/LENOVO-Y50-70,90952,510478,1552233.html?langId=-16 this is where i got it but i see now cost abit more , probably had some new year discount or something .

9 years ago

Build quality is one thing you need to keep in check. No point haven't good components if they are all going to melt due to bad design. I'd suggest checking HP, Asus, and although overpriced, Dell.

9 years ago

The only issue with that is dell and HP don't make laptops that are dedicated and built specifically for gaming. But I will have a look and see what I can find.

9 years ago

Dell's gaming division is alienware. You already know that they are overpriced though so its a rather moot fact.

9 years ago

Lenovo Y50. I use it, and it's pretty much the same specs as a MSI GE60 Apache pro, but lacks the heating prolems, and for a little extra has a touch screen. IT's also massively cheaper. However, the Keyboard isn't the best, and the screen has poor viewing angles. But outside of that, it's great for gaming and for casual use. Especially since it has a 5 hour battery life.

9 years ago

The Y50 sure is the best low budget gaming laptop... for the USA! However for what I've seen he's budget is 900 pounds, and the Y50 is above that... you can even buy an MSI GS60/GS70 with the costs of an Y50 in Great Britain:

DAYUMM

9 years ago

Didn't read that clearly, sorry. Thought he was in the US.

9 years ago

Yeah as said above lenovo Y50 is out of the question now. But wondering what heating problems are there with the MSI laptop?

9 years ago

A friend of mine has the GE60 from 2013, I have never heard him complain about heating, we even played a MOBA together in his house once without any problem.

HOWEVER, my GS70 is very thin, which means less room for ventilation and it gets SUPER hot, but just buy a cooling pad if it gets hot under heavy workload (i.e. gaming) and you're set:

Amazon UK

9 years ago

I'd rather buy a UK laptop but that laptop is a lot cheaper. Although I will still have to pay VAT tax on top of that. What advantage is there to buying that laptop?

9 years ago

Actually it's pretty much the same as the G750J bro, just out of stock on Amazon :/

CLICKY

9 years ago

Since that particular MSI doesn't seem to have an OEM specific card (usually ending in 5, like GTX675M) it would probably be a safe pick.

Make sure that whichever one you get uses nVidia Optimus because it's much harder to force use of the gaming GPU on other hyrid systems.

9 years ago

The Asus for sure but I recommend the Asus GL551JM instead. It's half as heavy and smaller which is important since u want portability.
It has almost the exact same specs except a better CPU and a bigger HDD. Or the alternative with a 256 SSD instead. Should cost about the same or less because it's a 15 inch one.

9 years ago

I would go with the MSI laptop.

9 years ago

This one MSI GT80 Titan, it has Cherry MX mechanical keyboard, SSDs, SLI GPU and upgradable parts.

9 years ago

May I ask, why a laptop?

How do you use it regardless?

Are you gonna carry it around a lot? Or just put it on a desk, and plug it into a wall?

If so, choose a desktop!

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.