So I have posted a few of the Easter Egg Hunt puzzles, and a few people have contacted me and asked me to put up the entire Easter Egg Hunt this year as a puzzle event.

So I have. A few details.
All of the giveaways run until noon GMT on the 17th of May.

There are no hidden puzzles, or hidden giveaways in this event. What you see is what you get. If you want any guidance as to how I write my puzzles, I can again recommend my magic guide (this should not be confused for Zelghadis' excellent guide).

Each of these puzzles have been written so that each will yield a single word or short phrase for the answer, which means I can use them with ITSTOOHARD. Not all of the puzzles are original (though many are). Where I have used an unoriginal puzzle, I will of course provide full information about the source, and where you can get others of that creator's puzzles. In several cases, I have stolen the puzzle, in several more, I have taken someone else's clever idea for a puzzle, and rewritten it to make it work with this event (and with the desired answer word.

The contributor level for all games is set to 1. I have used SGTools with precisely 2 rules: You must have activated all of your wins, and you cannot have been VAC banned.

As per usual with my events, I don't really care if you do not play your wins, but I do care deeply if a game does not reach 5 entries, so if you are one of the first five to solve something, and you wouldn't mind seeing that game in your library, then please enter the giveaway. You can always choose to remove your entry later (once 5 people have entered it).

My daughter has recently gotten very into the periodic table of the elements, and indeed has memorised it. As such, this is a periodic table-heavy event. Indeed, when I knew I wanted to put together a periodic table event, I was searching for themes, and the phrase "Elementary, my dear Watson" came to mind, and the rest of it fell into place. You do not need to know the periodic table to solve these things, but you may need to refer to it.

I recommend the one at the bottom of this intro:

You also do not need to know anything at all about Sherlock Holmes. I have stolen chunks of Conan Doyle's prose, to limit the amount that I have to write, and to try to get the tone right. While Lord St. Simon is a real character who is the protagonist of the Adventure of the Noble Bachelor but that has nothing to do with this puzzle, and no knowledge of the original will help in any way. Similarly, the client of the adventure of the dancing skeletons (chapter 9) is similar to the client in the adventure of the Dancing Men. This is true, but totally unnecessary to solve the puzzle. Similarly, the protagonist in chapter 14 is similar to that in the adventure of the Red-Headed league. True but totally irrelevant. You really do not need to know anything at all about Sherlock Holmes. Nada. Nothing, None whatsoever.

I will keep track of how the puzzles are going, and after a few days, hinting will be freely available.

Enjoy.
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 1 - I First Meet This Extraordinary Lagomorph
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 2 - In Which I am Cold and Warm Up
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 3 - In Which I Warm Up Further
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 4 - In Which The Hunt Proper Begins and the Story is Explained
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 5 - In Which We Learn Something of Lord St. Simon's Wife
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 6 - In Which Sherlock Hares Inquires Further About Me
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 7 - In Which We Hear The Changes Being Rung
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 8 - In Which We Discover Something in Hertfordshire
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 9 - In Which We Have An Adventure With Some Dancing Skeletons
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 10 - The Sign on the Door
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 11 - In Which Almost Nothing Happens
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 12 - In Which I See Hares Uncharacteristically Moved
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 13 - In Which Hares Performs Some Chemical Experimentation
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 14 - In Which We Reassemble Something Confused
The Casefiles of Sherlock Hares - Chapter 15 - The Final Problem
The Periodic Table of the Elements

Prizes for this event are:

Planet Coaster, Dirt Rally 2.0, Two Point Hospital, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Frostpunk, GRIP: Combat Racing, Lords of the Fallen: Game of the Year Edition, Override: Mech City Brawl, Planetary Annihilation, - Note: This is for the original game, not Titans, but you can upgrade to Titans for 90% off. The original is no longer sold on the Steam Store., Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition, Mages of Mystralia, Nex Machina, Pathfinder Adventures Obsidian Edition, Rise of Venice, Sir, You are Being Hunted, Yoku's Island Express, Never Alone + Foxtales DLC, Blades of Time - Limited Edition, Rivals of Aether, Planet Coaster - World's Fair Pack DLC, 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creeek, Bike Rush, Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek, Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood, Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala, Quest for Infamy, Robin of Loxley - The Legend of Sherwood, Rune Classic, Sine Mora, Skullgirls, Skulls of the Shogun, System Shock - Enhanced Edition, Cibele, Mimic Arena, Auditorium, Colt Express, Etherlords 1+2 Bundle, Last Express - Gold Edition, Marine Park Empire, Mysterium, Z, Super Chibi Knight, Superluminauts, The Princess' Heart, Millie, Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, Dinosaur Hunter, Trials of the Gauntlet, Last Anime Boy: Saving Loli, Premier Buggy Racing Tour

View attached image.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Bump for a very enjoyable puzzle event :)

4 years ago

Bump for solved :)

4 years ago

Congratulations

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago*

Chapter 13 stops my progress for few days now :(

4 years ago

I will add another hint. Many people seem stuck at the last step (how to interpret the clue phrase).

4 years ago

Bump for completing.

3 years ago

Congratulations.

3 years ago

Bump and meow

4 years ago

4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 done. Having a lot of fun with this event!

4 years ago*

Halfway there! Some puzzles seem impossible, but at some point it just clicks and it feels great haha.

4 years ago

Bump for 14 still eludes me.

4 years ago

More hints have been added.

4 years ago

Bump again for solved meta, just #15 left to go. Have thoroughly enjoyed a number of these. Thanks Mikalye.

4 years ago

New hints have now been posted.

4 years ago

Solved nine.

4 years ago

Congrats

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Bump for solved chapters 5,7,8,9,10,11.

4 years ago

Well done.

3 years ago

Bump! Chapter 14 remains to be a mystery to me.. Is it still possible to solve the meta without it?

3 years ago

I say yes.
I've seen some solve the meta before their last, but not sure if it is a specific one you could skip.

3 years ago

Absolutely. On the big international hunts, you sometimes seem meta's falling with some 60% of the puzzles solved. I know of at least one of the meta solvers for this event who backsolved one of the feeder puzzles (also chapter 14, if I recall correctly).

3 years ago

Seeing as the event is going to end in a few days, could you perhaps drop a final hint for Chapter 14? I've been stuck on this one for quite some time now hehe ^^

3 years ago

But of course.

Hopefully that helped. If you need something more, please let me know.

3 years ago*

It did help! Thanks to you I've finally solved Ch. 14 ^^ Now I'm off to the meta! (and chapter 15, if I can make it that far..)

Edit: Aaaaand….. I've finally solved the meta :D only chapter 15 remains now. Just want to say thanks a bunch for coming up with this event - haven't had this much fun solving puzzles. Looking forward to the next one (hopefully, if there will be a next one)!

3 years ago*

Congratulations, well done.

There are usually 1-2 events per year.
If you like my puzzles, I can only point to some of my past events, though obviously, none of them still have live giveaways.

Last year I had three events:
The Flags of our Fathers Event
Mikalye's Crossword Event
Mikalye's Jigidi Event
I also did a series of 7 puzzles on the search for Carmen SanFrancisco. For best effect, these should be done in order:
CF1
CF2
CF3
CF4
CS5
CS6
CS7

In 2017-2018 JeffSL ran a series of events set at various landmarks around the globe. The overall event features an interlocking series of puzzles and quizzes. There was a weekly lock code and stuff that played into the overall meta. Lots of people wrote thes, some were quizzes, some were Google Maps hunts, others were puzzles. I wrote 4 of these. Unusually for me, for the Vimy ridge puzzle, the first part was not actually a puzzle, but a quiz that encouraged people to find out more about this amazing site. The second part was a traditional puzzle, but one that required some knowledge that you should have encountered solving the first part I wrote:.
Castel Sant’Angelo in Rome
Canadian National Vimy Memorial
Piazza San Pietro in the Vatican City
And, the largest puzzle set I wrote on Steamgifts is the 35+ Interlocking puzzles that collectively make up:
Les énigmes du musée du palais de Louvre

3 years ago*

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into your past puzzles when this event is over :]

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Bump for all main puzzles solved! First backsolved 14, but today i solved it properly. Still didnt solve number 2 though.

3 years ago

and bump for 2 solved also

3 years ago

Congratulatons. Well done.

3 years ago

I feel so stupid. I can't even solve Chapter 2

3 years ago

nanji and mandrill both solved chapter 2 last of all and they solved every other puzzle. Mandrill definitely felt that chapter 2 was the hardest puzzle for him. Different people find different puzzles hard.

There is absolutely nothing to feel stupid about.
Chapter 11 also seems to click with a bunch of people who are struggling with some of the others.

3 years ago*

Like I'm wondering what, if any, is the connection b/w the puzzle, the picture, and the text ...

Thoroughly confused lol but I should try other puzzles to see if I can discover something.

3 years ago

The problem is that Ch 2 is all about figuring out what to even do. I think these kinds of puzzles work best in games when they are interactive (because you can discover relationships by physical experimentation), but really doesn't work well here without any hint.

Assuming each image corresponds to a word, is there a letter limit?
How does the viewer know the word they're thinking of is correct?
Can the images/words be used more than once?
and so forth

3 years ago*

Deleted

3 years ago

Since 7 seems to be one of the hardest ones, can you please give another hint? I don't even know where to start. I have no clue what you mean with "changes".

3 years ago*

Sure, I will post one now.

3 years ago

Thank you :)

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

All right, I'm done with 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14.
8 is the only one that I need for the meta, that I can stare at for hours and have no idea how to tackle it ^^

3 years ago

I will see if I can come up with another hint for 8. I can point out that several people have gotten the meta missing one answer.

3 years ago

Cool, thank you. I will definitely try to rack my head on that one again, and if nothing comes of it, try to solve the meta somehow :D

3 years ago

Just needed a new day, and a fresh start. Suddenly the answer was screaming in my face :D
Now onto the meta!

3 years ago

More hints have been posted.

3 years ago

More hints have been posted.

3 years ago

Bumf for giving up

3 years ago

That's a real shame. Feel free to reach out to me in chat. I will try to talk you through where you are stuck.

I have helped a couple of people get across the line today.

3 years ago

I've solved only #1. I'm too dumb for it, sorry

3 years ago

Sorry to hear that you think that.
We all hit puzzles on this board we struggle with.
Thanks for trying.

3 years ago

With about 18 hours to go, most of the giveaways have 5 entries, but there are a few with 4, so if you would be willing to own any of the following games, then please, please enter the giveaways

• Skulls of the Shogun (which is actually a great game)
  • Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition (Very positive on Steam)
  • Z (Very positive RTS)
  • Skullgirls (which has a rating of Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam)
  • Etherlords Bundle (Very positive on Steam)
  • The Enigmatis trilogy of Hidden Object Games

Thanks

Update: Thank you all. All but the Enigmatis Trilogy got across the line in the end.

3 years ago*

"Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition" was given for free and it won't give you any CV anyway, so it doesn't matter how many people enter

3 years ago

Ahhh good news that.

3 years ago

THank you all. Alll but the Enigmatis trilogy got across the line in the end.

3 years ago

Thank you for this fantastic event! I hadn't the opportunity to spend significant time to solving up to yesterday and I have solved only puzzles #5, #11, #12 and tried only 4 more. But it was very fun. I have even won 1 title ("Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition"), so all is fine.
I want to suggest you to create invite-only one-day giveaway with Enigmatis trilogy here with jigidi puzzle to filter bots out in this thread. As for me, I have only first game from this trilogy and I would be happy to have others too.
I hope I will spend more time with your future events and maybe then I'll advance farther than now :)

3 years ago

Glad you enjoyed it, and enjoy the game.

3 years ago

Have a bump

3 years ago

Man, I screwed up.
I thought that I had set everything to end at Noon GMT, but it looks like they are ending an hour early. I am really sorry if that hour really hurts sometone struggling to finish.

3 years ago

I started some days ago, solved everything except 4 and 14.
I was close to solve 14, too bad.
Regardless, thank you so much for this event, it was very fun!

EDIT: Managed to solve the remaining 2 puzzles, even though after the deadline.

3 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.