Hey guys, I'm currently working on picking out the components for my first pc build (my 5y old laptop it's crawling), and I've settled for a 1050ti. The problem is my monitor is a very old 1440*900 VGA one.
I've been searching a bit and it seems I need an active adapter. My question is, should I get a dvi-d to vga one or a display port to vga?
And does the motherboard have to support DP or do I connect the monitor straight to the graphics card?

6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

I have an older monitor that's DVI as well and it currently connected directly to my 1070 VIA DVI cable.

6 years ago

Use a VGA to DVI adapter.

6 years ago

DVI-D is sorta dated and is video only, DP is the new ultimate standard for high quality stuff (4K, 144Hz, video+audio, all those things). In your case there should be no difference performance wise. And you have to connect your monitor to your adapter, which you connect to your video card.

6 years ago

How about you retire that VGA monitor and buy a cheap Full HD TFT, they don't cost an arm and a leg anymore.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

6 years ago

90-110€ for a 1080p since i dont think he will go for a 4k xD

6 years ago

I suggest just getting a new cheap monitor. I had a VGA old monitor as well, when I upgraded my PC I used a DVI-VGA adapter at first, but the image quality was not great. It had some noise to it, and it was somewhat noticeable, so I just ditched the monitor, got a cheap one and just bought a DVI cable and it's been pretty great so far.

TL,DR: Just get a new monitor for that video card, bruh.

6 years ago

the 1050 should have a hdmi port, get a vga to hdmi adapter like this one and you're done (i'm using one for an old monitor like yours). you can use your old vga-vga cable.

6 years ago

My question is, should I get a dvi-d to vga one or a display port to vga?

Either will work, but DVI-D to VGA will probably be a dollar or two cheaper.

And does the motherboard have to support DP or do I connect the monitor straight to the graphics card?

Fasten that sucker right up to the graphics card.

6 years ago

You can totally connect your existing monitor to the new video card, as others here have suggested. But given how old the monitor is, and that it's VGA, you would get a huge improvement to picture quality from a new monitor.

You could go the cheap route and just pick up a cheap LCD panel. Or, given how long you seem to keep your monitors for, you could go the expensive route and pick up a great new gaming monitor with G-Sync. Eliminating visual tearing and frame-time spikes makes for a super-smooth gaming experience that feels like a revelation. ASUS make some of the best ones.

Or you could go with a cheaper FreeSync monitor paired with an RX 570/580, if that works out better. Again, ASUS makes some of the best ones.

It's going to be way more expensive, but you'll be much happier with it over the years to come.

6 years ago

I'm in the same position.
I have 2 VGA monitors, and for the gtx1050 I need 2 adapter. One HDMI to VGA, and an active DVI-D to VGA

6 years ago

A new monitor would be better. At any rate, DVI-D to VGA converters are usually expensive. I am surprised that your card does not have a HDMI port, but HDMI to VGA and DisplayPort to VGA converters are around the same price point and both work splendidly.

6 years ago

The card does, the monitor likely doesn't which may be why it was overlooked as an option

6 years ago

DVI D isn't compatible with VGA so you need one for a different port. But I recommend getting a cheap 1080p monitor instead.

6 years ago

Works fine with and active DVI-D to VGA adapter.

6 years ago*

Active converters are crazy expensive and not worth it unless desperate. They're better off using that money for a new monitor. Different story with DVI I which could use a cheap adapter.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

6 years ago

He cant use DVI-I on a card that have a DVI-D port.

Edit: And DVI-D only supports digital while DVI-I has both.

6 years ago*

I got 2 monitors that have DVI because my GPU has them... and now all the new GPU's have hdmi and dp only... so.... be careful not to look into the current state only but what the future brings too.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

6 years ago

How does your neck feel about it?

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

I can only imagine using a 42" tv as a monitor from up close feels like watching tennis from the sides.

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

Oh as a secondary monitor, well why didn't you say so, I've always done that too.

6 years ago

I also use my TV as a second screen for gaming/movies... 55" 4k FTW!
Been telling people for YEARS to hook their PC's to the TV for a better viewing experience and I still get "will that actually work??" a lot.

6 years ago

just get an old & used 1920*1080 off ebay. it doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to work. now and for the next 12 to 24 months. recently i got two for me and the family for 25€ / 30€ per piece. one benq and one aoc, not brilliant but perfectly adequate. even in the same town so it was a two minutes car trip to get them.

if your monitor comes with vga only it's high time you throw that junk away. at this point all the money you spend on cables and adapters is totally wasted. just don't do it.

6 years ago

This.

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.