Its on sale on Steam for $2.49 (-75% off), and I'm wondering if its still worth it. I already have the first one (as yet unplayed, like so much of my Steam library) and I have the third one on 360 (also unplayed). I know the second game had some pretty mixed reviews, but is it worth it? Or would I be better off skipping the second one entirely?

Thanks for your time.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

nope. jump right into 3

1 decade ago

I will say Yes, the second and the third one are pretty good.

1 decade ago

I liked Far Cry 2 on Xbox. Im not sure if its optimized on PC though.

1 decade ago

not even a penny

1 decade ago

I liked it. Played it all the way through on Xbox. Well worth $2.50 at least, it's half the price of a sub sandwich :P

1 decade ago

Far Cry 2 is full of annoying stuff that will make you hate it. Few people were able to dig through all of them to find some fun.

Examples of annoying stuff I hated:

• enemies in t-shirts requiring half of ak-mag to fall down
  • enemies respawning way too fast
  • malaria
  • two hating each other factions living right next to each other in same town - that killed whole immersion for me, as I couldn't believe after going to one house residents of the other would do anything else then putting whole ak-mag into me; instead, they gave me work, even if they should know I'm working for the other side
1 decade ago

If you took your vitamins you wouldn't have to worry about malaria!

1 decade ago

Problem with malaria was that you had to obtain your vitamins by doing stupid quests which were supposed to make you feel less douche-bag working-for-most-bad-people-around.

1 decade ago

don't forget rusty weapons!

1 decade ago

Worth for $2.50 in my humble opinion. I never be able to finish it though, it's getting boring after ~10hrs (started three times)

1 decade ago

People love to hate Far Cry 2. While it's not the best game around, I enjoyed it and would have paid $2.49 for it. The one thing I found annoying, but dealt with, is getting shot at every outpost I went through. And you'll be going through a lot because the map is big and you'll be driving to a lot of places. Most of the time you can just drive through, they'll shoot at you, and then loose interest when you're far enough away. Sometimes they'll succeed in chasing you down with a machine gun mounted truck.

1 decade ago

I think it's worth it, to be able to set ablaze everything in it.

1 decade ago

Definitely worth more even. Still one of my favourite games.

1 decade ago

No. Buy FC3 instead or, even better, Blood Dragon.

1 decade ago

I liked Far Cry 3 and I just bought Far Cry 2, I've played it for an hour and it feels like FC 3 in Africa, I like it. Also I love that atmosphere of civil war in some banana republic.

1 decade ago

Almost insta respawning enemies and forcing you constantly to drive from one location at the end of the map to another at the other end made me dislike it quite a lot. Fast travel via bus stops didn't help all that much.

1 decade ago

The respawning enemies at the camps that are all over the map really got old fast. With FC3 out... it out classes 2 by a lot. 2 isn't bad but..... it's not great.

1 decade ago

I was going to buy it, but I just remembered how annoyed i got with the teflon built enemies, and how they respawn every time you clear an area. Maybe if they do a collection package, It will be the only way I'll get it.

1 decade ago

A Far Cry bundle, with 1, 2, 3, and Blood Dragon would be awesome. Make it like $10.

1 decade ago

I think the definiton of "expensive" has changed since the bundles came out!
I mean ok, it can be that someone has only a limit with which he/she can buy games. Bu hey, $2.49 for a game which had some real good reviews back in the days, I think It's a pretty good deal! So, if you can afford it I wouldn't think twice and just buy it! (and of corse if it's possible blood dragon, FarCry 3 too)

1 decade ago

Totally, buy it. Despite totally annoying things (constantly respawning, having bulletproof t-shirts enemies and having to ride lots of distance to get to the "quest") this game rocks. The story is pretty good, the graphics are cool, the feel of the game is awesome. And I personally liked FC2 African setup more than FC3 tropical one.

Also, it has jamming weapons that are wearing over time :D I found that totally cool but I know some ppl hate it.

1 decade ago

I bought it for 2.50 and I liked it

1 decade ago

Its not that great. It gets boring after a bit and if it wasn't for the realism mod would would have stopped almost immediately.

1 decade ago

Yes.

1 decade ago

I bought it for like 10 dollars a long time ago on actual CD

It's actually pretty fun, less "casual" than Far Cry 3, lags less, and doesn't rely on the presence of too many carnivorous animals. AI is retardedly skilled and checkpoints/guard posts always respawn, which is annoying, but it's a challenge if you like. Guns explode, which hasn't happened to me in Far Cry 3 yet.

Also, Far Cry 2 has MANUAL QUICKSAVE AND QUICKLOAD POINTS

I cannot stress this enough. Far Cry 3's save system is a terrible broken horrible checkpoint based piece of crap.

Also, there's dedicated servers and custom maps online (with a server browser!) online in Far Cry 2, and the multiplayer in Far Cry 3 is already dead due to the shitty matchmaking and constant host migrations.

Not sure if anyone still plays online, don't have it installed at the moment, although I used to always play Sniper NoCross maps online.

1 decade ago

yes

1 decade ago

I dunno, but since crytek was not involved it might definitely be better than the first one.

1 decade ago

i haven't played it for long (2~4 hours), but I found it to be kinda good. it's pretty immersive and you don't feel like you're in a tiny box like maaaany other games that pretend they're "so open world so immersive much good". you actually feel like you're in the game, in the middle of an africa-ish country

graphics are kinda good, but imho a little bit too grey, not enough colored. AI is Ok-good, weapons are Ok, interactions with npcs are good, effects are good (explosions, visuals like drugs, underwater, fatigue, ..), controls are good too ; you likely will not struggle with any vehicules unless you are in a small alley.. just like it would be in real life

one very boring thing about the game is searching for diamonds with the radar.. it's very incacurrate, and even bugged

otherwise, from what i've seen, it's pretty decent. i'd say $2.49 is ok-ish, considering it's digital

1 decade ago

Yes, very much so. It is a very good game as long as you understand some of its limitations, like how checkpoints get respawned guards and whatnot. This helps alleviate some issues and improves the game though.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Sisyphus.