Hello,

I'm in need of a decent CPU cooler since my stock Intel is dieing on me, my CPU is getting super hot, like 80°-90°C hot.

I'm looking for a quite (as much as possible) that gets a stable OC for my cpu.

I don't know much about aftermarket coolers, I've searched around the net a bit and found several coolers:

1) Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for ~25-30€

2) Corsair Hydro H80i for ~70-90€

I leaning towards the Hyper 212 EVO since it's the best bang for its buck. I can pair it with an extra fan for less than 40€. My only concern is if it'll fit on my case with a high-profile RAM.

I'm more than happy to hear you suggestions and recommendations regarding the matter.

Thank you in advance!

My specs:

Asus Rampage III Formula

Intel i7-950

Kingston HyperX 6GB @1800Mhz High Profile Memory

PSU CM Silent Pro 1000W

Case CM Storm Scout

Also, I know this is a bit difficult, but is there a cooler that will be "future proof"? I mean to be compatible with the future i7 processors with the apposite bracket down the road?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

why not the h100i?
they make a sound but you can replace the fans and then they are awesome

1 decade ago

Cause it's like 100€+ and besides, it wont fit in my case. Did you bother to read the whole post?

1 decade ago

I thought it would just fit in your case and I was suggesting it because it is kind of future proof. I didn't know it was out of your budget sorry

1 decade ago

I bought a closed loop water cooler (similar to the Hydro), and never looked back. I highly recommend these coolers. Very easy to install and zero hassle. It took me literally only 20 minutes or so to install it. Very good performance.

Yes, go with it :-) Make sure it's really compatible with your case though.

1 decade ago

Yeah, the H80i is really good, but at 90€ it's not that great for my budget and since the Hyper 212 EVO is so cheap and does a great job at cooling I'm not so sure...

1 decade ago

Yeah, prices are a bit high. I bought mine (a Cooler Master Seidon 120XL) on a deal (60€ instead of 90€). If there wasn't a deal, I would probably not have bought it at the time. However, having now owned the cooler for almost a year now, I don't think I'll be going back to air coolers again. The closed loop coolers are simply too nice. i5 2500K CPU OCed at 4.3GHz and the temp at full load doesn't go above 60C when having the fans work at 25% (no noise at all.) If you raise the fan speed, the temps drop way below that. Like, waaay below that.

The downside though is possible breakage. You can't really break an air cooler. If the fan breaks, you just get a new one. If the pump in a closed loop cooler breaks, the whole thing becomes useless. Nothing you can fix yourself.

1 decade ago

Any help please?

1 decade ago

why not d14 or macho? Top air is always better than a prebuilt lame liquid.

1 decade ago

Budget is a factor too and the Noctua is ~90€, so yeah...

1 decade ago

Skythe have some nice cheap coolers, like kabuto/katana

1 decade ago

Noctua NH-D14 is 72€ ppl use this one even with big OC, it was 64€ before, the new D15 is 90€

1 decade ago

I don't think it will fit in my case...

1 decade ago

I'd recommend it. I have the 212+ on a 2500k overclocked to 4.5GHz and temps are usually around 30C idle and no more than 60C at load.

I also had RAM with high heatsinks but if you move them to the 2nd channel then it will fit fine. The only problem I found was that it was a pain to attach the fan to the heatsink with the spring clips so I just ended up using cable ties.

1 decade ago

The hyper 212 will fit in your case and I would just go with that one. Grab the Hyper 212+ and change the fans. Try to go with some Corsair SP120s or whichever brand you like that has Static pressure fans.
You will get good performance, almost quite operation (at load it will be a bit noisy) and great temps.

1 decade ago

I have a similair cooler a hyper tx3 for my AMD Phenom II X4 B50 3,6ghz. It's a beast in terms of temperature, but the cooler keeps it at bay, and not too noisy either.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by CyberMarco.