I've never run a Steam group so this is surely headed for disaster. But I gave in a few months ago and subscribed to Humble Monthly and I haven't played a single one of those games yet. So I was thinking it'd be fun to find some other people in the same predicament and play some of the monthly games every month and have space to talk about it.

I don't mean syncing up for co-op and whatnot though that's certainly an option - I just mean "Hey what are you playing from the bundle this month? Oh, Kingdom New Lands? Me too - have you figured out how to do the thing with the thing at that thing?"

Before I do the exhausting button-clicking work at Steam to create a group and in case anyone has a better idea for a name than Humble Monthliers I thought I'd float the idea here and if it falls flat I will have saved myself all that clicking. So ... consider the idea floated...

UPDATE

Ladies and Gentlemen, we've crossed my secret arbitrary threshold of interested number of people which I'd written previously on a post-it note and which I've now destroyed. I've gone and initiated the apocalypse by creating a Steam group.

Humble Monthliers
Playing Humble Monthly Games Monthly
A cozy place to get together and figure out what the heck, whether you're currently subscribed to Humble Monthly or not.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thehumblemonthliers
It's public - join at will!

(I loved the name suggestions, but I decided to keep the name as obvious as possible).

Tell me what I've done wrong.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Reserved because I see people do that and sometimes it turns out to have been a good idea.

7 years ago*

I don't really know a group like this, but I would be interested in joining one.

7 years ago

That's 1!

7 years ago

Does sound like a good idea! Unfortunately I'm way too lazy to moderate a group. Would join though!

7 years ago

That's 2!

7 years ago

Sounds like a decent enough idea to me.

7 years ago

3! When we reach an arbitrary number of positive reactions that I've written on this post-it note, I will click some buttons.

7 years ago

I'd probably join a group like this. I usually keep 2-3 of the games and give away the rest, and my backlog is pretty epic, but it would be cool to have a group to discuss the games. Maybe it would inspire me to play the games sooner.

Ideas for names:

--That Time of the Month
--I Spent Twelve Bucks For THIS?!
--Yay, it's Unbundled CV!

7 years ago

lol love the names

7 years ago

I'd go for the first one. But all of them are good.

7 years ago

lol great names Canis! :)

7 years ago

Well, you just said it yourself: "...and I haven't played a single one of those games yet...". You can't build a community around "random" games. There won't be any constant people - you won't be able to keep talking with same people, and in this way, it's gonna be the same as anonymous imageboards. I doubt that there's gonna be someone who would play them all, and also a lot of people already had a lot of these games before Monthly, and I doubt that they would want to replay them just in order to discuss them there. Humble Monthly have only one community - those who are HAPPY when they can KEEP (notice, just keep, never play) at least 2 games from bundle. Actually, you can create a secret society of people, who ARE NOT playing their games and discuss how they WON'T EVER, but still paying 12 bucks and happy as hell that they are saving money from buying what they don't need, and every meeting have a contest who would make up a better excuse to keep doing it. It's gonna be the next door from anonymous alcoholics, but the idea is the same anyway. NOTE: giveaways doesn't count.

7 years ago

That was a lot of words and I'm not sure I followed them all - it's late and I've run out of orange soda - but I like the idea of a secret group organized around intentionally not doing something.

7 years ago*

but I like the idea of a secret group organized around intentionally not doing something

I'm in :)

7 years ago

Andy I think you are everywhere.

7 years ago

Maybe it'd be the Humble Bureau of Procrastination?

Officer of the Postponed Bundles Division?

6 years ago

lol I love those.

6 years ago

The Humble Dozen
($12, 12 months, not terribly Dirty, and might have more than 12 members, with maybe more or less than 12 games played. It's like a baker's dozen... not really a dozen. "The Humble Dozens"?)

Not sure if I'd be interested only because I I'd probably just end up ignoring it, as with most Steam groups. Keep up a regular forum thread though, maybe having one per month that congratulates people's HMB game completions or something, and you might build a small group community. Who knows! :)

I've played a few of the monthly games, but don't usually get to them in the month of their release.

7 years ago*

hmm. Humble Dozen. That's not bad. But I hear ya - I'm ignoring my share of Steam groups as we speak.

7 years ago

I like this idea, why not! U can sign me up when you decide to do some button clicking!

7 years ago

7 years ago

I like the idea :D Beside the early unlocks a lot of those games don't get discussed a lot so it might be nice to have a place to talk about them. I've been playing a little Kingdom: Classic yesterday and got my ass kicked by the RNG badly on my 2nd run. The 2 farms closest to my camp had 5/6 and 4/6 fields blocked by landscape / buildings and there wasn't a single bush that spawns rabbits so while on my 1rst run I was swimming in money this time I was almost broke although (I think) I played better.

Was Kingdom New Lands just a random example or have you given it a try ? I was wondering which version I should start but then went with Classic to get a feel of the game before I dive into the new content so I've been curious about New Lands.

7 years ago

See this is exactly what I was hoping for :) I googled around trying to figure out if I should skip classic or not. I'm still undecided. Most random advice I found was to go ahead and start with New Lands... but it's against my nature.

7 years ago

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Although I'm not really someone that is very active in my groups unless there are some fun events. You could try to make some events to encourage people to play some of the games. One of the groups I'm currently in used to have a monthly event where people picked some games for someone else to play in that month and if you didn't finish any of them you had to make a GA. It was actually pretty fun to participate in and good motivation to play some games you wouldn't normally play. Maybe you could do something similar in your group (I'd definitly join then).

7 years ago

The sky's the limit. I like these ideas.

7 years ago

I'd probably like to read the posts and comments in this sort of group, though I probably would just do that. Lurk around and post rarely. I'd still probably join though, it's a nice idea.

7 years ago

I like to think I have perfected the art of lurking. Lurkers would be more than welcome.

7 years ago

Count me in.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Count me in (2)

7 years ago

7 years ago

In the same boat as you so would love to join if you do decide to go ahead and make the group ;)

7 years ago

I did it! Would love to see you there http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thehumblemonthliers

7 years ago

Ladies and Gentlemen, we've crossed my secret arbitrary threshold written yesterday on a post-it note which I've now destroyed. I've gone and initiated the apocalypse by creating a Steam group.

(I loved the name suggestions, but I decided to keep the name as obvious as possible).

Tell me what I've done wrong.

7 years ago

Bump for first member :D

7 years ago

Boom!

7 years ago

Edit your OP so more people could see this :)

7 years ago

A most excellent idea. Done.

7 years ago

Oh no! I wan't to join now that I can't!

7 years ago

It's open Spiff go for it.

7 years ago

I was mostly joking about how people usually want what they can't have since I misread your previous post as if you considered the group full for now. I'll pop in later :)

7 years ago

Ah yes - few things are more interesting than the things just beyond reach. But there is always more room at my table :)

7 years ago

I actually like the idea, so I'm on board. It becomes a particularly good one considering the HB Monthly (usually) includes an AAA, indies, and a couple of what they call "experimental". Makes for some extra info on those games you wouldn't think to try just by looking at them.

7 years ago

Right? Seems like it should work. I guess we'll find out! :)

7 years ago

View attached image.
7 years ago

That one always makes me smile.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 week ago.

7 years ago

Thanks Yunie!

7 years ago

Kingdom: New Lands is getting some attention. Come see! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thehumblemonthliers/discussions/1/135513901704291240/

7 years ago

sounds good - I'm not always subscribed (budgeting!) but I'd love to talk about the surprises revealed each month!

7 years ago

Oh non- or temporarily-not subscribers should be welcome to talk about the games too - I'll change some verbiage to make that clear.

7 years ago

sounds good :)

7 years ago

:)

7 years ago

I always take forever to play at least one of the games, but maybe this group will help :)
also bump, apparently

6 years ago

Me too. It's fun to all be failing at the same thing at the same time though :)

6 years ago

That's a great idea, I need some motivation! Althought my subscription just finished and I'm still debating about renewing, but INSIDE is very tempting...

6 years ago

Yeah I'm looking forward to Inside too - I plan to tackle that one as soon as they autocharge my credit card :)

6 years ago

I'm in. Got my first HMB last month, and ended up playing The Witness until I wanted to scream...and I've still only got about 50% of the puzzles solved. Can still see leaf patterns when I close my eyes.....

6 years ago

lol I think I wisely opted for my own peace of mind and gave Witness away... very interested to hear all about it though! Welcome :)

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.