Hi!
Due to recent events I had to do some changes to my gaming rig and in the process of deliberate decision making i.e. I've had a few beers, it's a middle of the night and I've spent past few hoyrs browsing online shops and second hand marketplaces I've arrived at building a mostly brand new PC!
The long and short of it is I had to replace my mobo. Since keeping my old-ass socket CPU was pain in the male donkey I also went with a new one. The new CPU + mobo combo required new RAM I'm DDR5 now, baby!!!. And at the last minute I realised my PSU wouldn't handle the new board. I threw 1TB NVMe SSD to the mix just for the sake of it and now here I am. My wallet bleeds...
Anywho now it's your chances to partake in this frabjous day as I've prepared a little Ouroboros train just to hurt my sad wallet a little more! And there's a little extra Dredge for my 💙
On top of that I'd like to ask y'all what'd you recommend I go ahead and blast on my new creation to fully enjoy all the glorious FPS I can achieve now? You don't have to limit your suggestions to my library, I might as well run my financial situation to the ground since I'm at it...
A second question concerns my performance. I haven't done much testing yet, but I did run Heaven a couple o' times results below and I have my concerns. 1. is the drop in min FPS of 11 in the first run something bad? 2. What about the termals? the CPU stays mostly under 70C but the GPU went right over 80 in both tests, spending most time around 85 with fans going all crazy and occasionally going almost to 90C with fans hitting I believe 100%. Is this expected bahaviour? NGL it's my first time with that class of hardware. I've built a bunch of PCs in the past but typically more low-end and or old systems. This is like the closest to "current-gen" as I've ever been. Is there any way to get those temps and fan speeds down?

man, making trains is so tedious...
If nothing went wrong train's lvl2+ running till the end of the month.

View attached image.
View attached image.
9 months ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Yay!
It may not be that power-hungry because of its age, but it's beautiful regardless, and a bit forgotten recently: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

9 months ago

If you are willing to trade in some speed, you can lower the TDP limits.

9 months ago

ah yes, the good ol' TDPs. that's actually what I did with my Steam Deck but mostly for the sake of battery life I basically run the whole thing at 5W and see no issues. Only really had to bump it like once or twice and only a watt or two bc I was getting umplayable framerates...

9 months ago

Congrats & bump!

9 months ago

When is the new Diablo 4 test? :D
Regarding your questions: not sure how exactly Heaven operates but if it's similar to normal games then that may be because of it loading assets. Although 'beefy' PC shouldn't experience that, there is still a possibility. Ed. Just redownloaded Heaven and got a drop to 10FPS during the first run as well, so likely just like I said some assets didn't load in time.
Regarding temps: yes, those are normal temps for 400FPS average. You can use MSI Afterburner/RTSS and limit your FPS to, let's say, 144 and see 'normal' temps.

9 months ago*

When is the new Diablo 4 test

hopefully in a sec :D

9 months ago

I remember seeing dips like that as well on the initial Heaven run, and always suspected that it was a loading delay. (This was with mechanical hard drives, though.)

9 months ago

Have fun with the new set-up and thank you for the train.

9 months ago

Gratki na nowym komputerze! :D

9 months ago

congrats!
i'm not sure about what game to test on (i'm pretty bad at these things), but maybe you can try playing the games from hb choice? the outer worlds and ghostwire tokyo should be resource intensive. as for your performance issue, again, i'm bad at these things, so i couldn't give any tips. hopefully you'll get it sorted.

9 months ago

i hope, that the new rig serves you well; thanks for the train :)

9 months ago

Bump&Thanks

9 months ago

Why not play Cyberpunk? It's the new can it run Crysis.

9 months ago*

Honestly haven't thought of that and that's a pretty good idea!

9 months ago

!

9 months ago

first of all: gratzzzz!!
second: thank you
and third: lost you at NVMe (or smth) so, really can't help you

last, but OT:

Ouroboros

where are you??

9 months ago

Ouroboros

where are you??

Busy eating tail

View attached image.
9 months ago

Have fun & Bump.

9 months ago

Congratulations with new PC! And 'Bump', as asked!

9 months ago

'cos we won't a saddened Devirk, did we?

:D

9 months ago

Definitely not. Devirk is happy now, and he shares his happiness with us - let's keep it that way =)

9 months ago

Have fun with the new set up, bump!

9 months ago

Why was I the only one who couldn't solve the train? I replaced &HEREbeFIRSTnumberOFmyGPU& with the number and I couldn't access the giveaway :(

9 months ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 9 months ago.

9 months ago

I've no idea what to tell you, I made it pretty much as easy as posible. I even added ampersands to help avoid confusion! Try a different number? afterall there's only 10 to choose from so worst come to worst you can just brutforce your way in 😅

9 months ago

I've tried with all the numbers on the same day. This is crazy. It seems like a prank on me 😅

9 months ago

Congrats on the new PC! Never built one myself and have little to knowledge on the topic, so I can’t help with the questions, but here’s the bump as requested :D

9 months ago

you totally should! that's a bit like LEGO for grown-ups/nerds nowadays. Barring nimble fingers and maybe a couple screwdrivers all you need you'll find online it's not an "only" or "definitive" resource but it's quite comprehensive ;) And there's a cool feeling of accomplishement you get when ripping frames on a machine you built yourself you don't get on a pre-built or a console :D

9 months ago

Oh it’s absolutely one of, if not THE top project I wish to start! For now I can’t due to numerous restrictions in my life, but I’m eagerly looking forward to building my own as soon as conditions allow it.

And thank you for linking to the LTT vid, I do enjoy watching their channel and other stuff like r/buildapc’s wiki no longer using reddit thanks to u/spez killing third party clients, sigh, but I feel like my brain never retains much information lmao. Guess I’ll start learning only after some hands-on experience :D

9 months ago

Congrats on your new build! 🎉 I offered some hardware in your previous thread, but this is a much better option that will serve you well for a long time!

9 months ago

Congrats on the new pc. May it bring you many happy gaming moments!

9 months ago

bump! I'm happy to hear you ahave new PC! I hope it will serve you well :D

9 months ago

bump

9 months ago

My GPUs fans ramped up like crazy as well in some games. I'm too lazy to fiddle with fan curves though, so I just lowered the power target. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 months ago

Bump!

9 months ago

Congrats! I don't think 85 C is too high for a few mins while benchmarking but if it's at 100% fan then it could indicate a problem. Is it new or used? Run the benchmark at 1080p standard settings and compare with some online results maybe... other than that looks good!

9 months ago

It's second hand but it's from reliable source and was cared for. can you even get new 20XX series? maybe some new old-stock...
It's not 100% at 85 'cause I hear it ramp even higher when temp go above that luckily they hardly do but it's still a god-damned jet engine blasting like 20cm away from me 😅
can I run the bench at 1080p if my display is 1440x900?

9 months ago

Yes you can change the settings to 1080p 8xAA Ultra Tesselation extreme or use Superposition (newer benchmark) and compare here. Like a lot of people said it seems fine, but you can use new thermal paste to improve cooling.

9 months ago

A lot of things depend on the cooling. Make sure to use some quality cooling paste, as it might have a big impact on cooling performance. Not in the PC building for a long time, but last time Noctua NT-H1 did its job well. Prefer coolers made of copper as it has better heat transfer than aluminium. Seems like technology has advanced and aluminium coolers might be good as well. Check this out: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/dark-rock/793

9 months ago

yeah, but it's the GPU I'm concerned with. CPU sits mostly at a toasty but comfortable 65-70C

9 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.