If one's reason for playing Bethesda games is solely based in personalizing the game through mods, what's the landscape like for the different versions right now? Are there still a handful of mods that the Special Edition can't handle or, with a bit of finagling, can most anything work with the SE?

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I bet there's a Skyrim mod that programs NPC to say, "Happy cakeday!", to the player.

5 years ago

Can't say for a lot of stuff like UI since I stopped playing before SKSE was released, but... There were a lot of good mods that were running perfectly fine for me. From your typical weapon and armor mods, to increased NPC populations, magic mods, werewolf ovehauls, lighting and weather overhauls, and survival mods like iNeed, Hunterborn, Campfire, and so on.

5 years ago

Happy cakeday! 🍰

View attached image.
5 years ago

Im not modding it yet (im using the chance for a pure, no mod archievement run.....gotta say im still loving this game!) but i read in the nexus pages and mod lists that many major mods (frostfall,legacy, ineed, wildcat, ordinator, etc) are ported, and new mods are coming.

as how far it will go, we'll have to see.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

I've spent over 1000 hours in both Legendary (the original game) and Special Edition on PC (and some more in console) and hands down, the Special Edition is much better overall. The performance is better, has no stuttering, also looks nicer and the world map has more details. If you can, get that one instead of the original (unless you really want to try both).

Although it's been a while since I made a mod or done a conversion for Skyrim SE and I maybe I don't remember everything right now, I do remember that proper conversions are easily done from Skyrim to Skyrim SE. And it's important to mention that, although most of the mods (found on Nexus) have been converted, not all of them (if not most, even some very famous) were not done right, so for those mods you like the most it's better to learn and do the conversion yourself for a better issues-free experience during gameplay, or to fix them before using them. What's important to know:

• Mods that required the original SKSE and included a DLL file are not compatible with SKESE64, so don't bother with those, because they need to be recompiled for Skyrim SE (source code and some tweaks are needed). Make sure to use SKSE64 mods already compiled for Skyrim SE. Mods using the old scripts for the original SKSE are still compatible for SKESE64, and some of them only need a small tweak or update in their scripts before use. You may need to unpack those scripts files from the BSA files to access them if they are not "loose" as usual.

• Mods packed in files in the old BSA format are not compatible, and they need to be unpacked to be able use them in Skyrim SE, and if you like them packed again, use the new BSA packer included with the Skyrim SE Creation Kit 64. The packer is Archive (same as the old one) and any BSA extractor will do, for example, Bethesda Archive Extractor.

• Original Meshes are not compatible and they need to be converted (optimized), which is done easily with SSE NIF Optimizer using the default settings (unless the meshes are part of the head, in that case, convert those separately and using the "Head Parts Only" option enabled). Original/Wrong meshes will crash the game.

• Original DDS textures in DXT* format are currently fully compatible so it's not necessary to do anything to them, unless (very) rare exceptions, they are okay.

• The plugins (ESP files) need to be resaved to have the updated Form Version structure (v44) for Skyrim SE, using the Skyrim SE Creation Kit 64. Once the mods are installed, you only need to open them and resave them, and nothing else. That's all you need to do. Although the older ESP are still compatible up to some point, it's recommended to do this because they lack certain information for the items they add or modify, and could crash the game on certain circunstances when that data in necessary.

That's pretty much all the basics you need to know for Skyrim to Skyrim SE conversion. You can find a lot more info on the Internet, especially, in the Nexus Forums. Once you know how to do it, you can convert most mods in less than 10 minutes.

5 years ago

Sorry, (despite being familiar with the basics of the modding structure for Skyrim), I'm not really following your post as it relates to my query. I've rephrased the OP to be more clear to my intent. Are you saying there are still some mods out there that can't be user-end recompiled or edited to work with SE? Or that everything can, with a bit of effort, be converted over?

5 years ago

I see you've changed your question. For the original question about converting mods from the original to the Special Edition version of Skyrim, I meant in my answer that most of them can be converted with a bit of effort, except for those using the original SKSE.

For the original game, you will find two different mods using SKSE: those only using scripts written using commands and params from SKSE and usually have those scripts found as loose files (placed the SCRIPTS folder or packed in BSA files) along with the ESP plugins for you to see and edit if necessary, and the others, more complex compiled using a different language (a.k.a. DLL files for the SKSE\PLUGINS folder). The newer version of SKSE (SKSE64) is not compatible with these plugins (a.k.a. DLL files) compiled for the original SKSE. You will need to have access to the source files, tweak them if necessary if the commands and/or params were updated for the SKSE64, and have the knowledge to compile them again but now for SKSE64, which can be impossible if the author never left available the source files for everybody (most of them never did). As for the mods using only scripts as loose files (or packed inside BSA files), those can be re-used for SKSE64 and you only need to do the rest as I explained in my previous post, and check that the commands and params in those scripts are okay with the new commands and params for SKSE64 (most of the time they are and no changes are necessary because almost nothing has been changed since then, but just to be sure, check using the documentation available for SKSE64 and edit where necessary), and you're good to go.

5 years ago

Cool, okay. So I probably won't need Legendary, but at the same time, there's no way around the situations where I would need it?

Other than a graphical overhaul and performance improvements, are there any real reasons to get SE over LE?

5 years ago

Besides that, the original Skyrim is a 32-bit application while the Skyrim SE is a 64-bit application, meaning that it doesn't have the 2 GB memory limitation of the original. This is really helpful while playing with many mods, and doesn't suffer from the sudden crashes when entering new zones or big areas the original has.

Let me tell you this: The last time I was playing Skyrim SE from the start to end I had the original game also installed at the same time in the same computer. The reason of this was because I was making some mods or tweaking others for myself, and also, for a couple of friends and brother. They were still playing the LE version while I was playing the SE version. I found that creating and updating a mod for both the original and the SE version was easier using the original game as target and then converting the mod to the SE version and re-tweaking when necessary. So during this time, with all the tests in both games, I was actually playing both at the same time and seeing first hand the differences, visually and in performance, and although I wouldn't notice if I weren't doing it that way, the differences are big. The SE version looks much better with better and more vivid colors and better use of the contrast, doesn't look so pale and empty, and has better performance and no stuttering in the same computer than the original. Plus, it rarelly crashed versus the original.

So, in all honesty, unless you would like to create and/or tweak the same mods for both versions, I can't think of any other advantage of having both games, if you're not a collector... because in the end, they're exactly the same game.

Just one thing that's very important: If you plan to have and use many mods (that use an ESP plugin or ESM master files) active at the same time in Skyrim SE, I highly recommend using this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10547/ . There seems to be a bug in the game that when using multiple ESP and ESM files at the same time, the performance suffers from it. That mod fixes the problem and the explanation of why and how is fixed is explained in that page.

5 years ago

I can't think of any other advantage of having both games, if you're not a collector... because in the end, they're exactly the same game.

Didn't you say that some mods may not work with SE, though, due to their creators not having updated the source files?
Mods are the only reason I play Bethesda games, so losing even a little bit there detracts heavily from my basis for play.

5 years ago

You won't miss much. You'll either don't need it or will find a replacement easily.

5 years ago

Happy cakeday

View attached image.
5 years ago

beump because... Skyrim!

5 years ago

:taps the mic:
Is this thing on? =O

5 years ago

bump

5 years ago

I'm no where near as knowledgeable as Azrael, but I recently modded and am currently playing LE, simply because I already owned it and found a very good deal on the DLCs. I can tell you that most mods that I wanted to use have been ported to SE or there are at least helpful posts in the comments sections on how to get them working. I guess there were a few that looked a little challenging, but offhand couldn't say which ones - sorry about that. On the other hand, I am really enjoying my first playthrough with LE, and I have found that tweaking the ini files can be very helpful with graphic, memory and performance issues. ENBoost is also a must for LE - I use it without the graphics and just for the stability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2012395791&feature=iv&src_vid=UCWsTrHpekE&v=eaorfAchdHI

https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/540740500921363665/

I'm only running about 54 mods presently (though I will probably add a few more before I am done), but so far my game has been very stable knock wood.

5 years ago

Only 54 mods? That's practically vanilla Skyrim.
</sarcasm> :D

5 years ago

Many people do 200+ I am a lightweight :D

5 years ago

I'd definitely lean more toward 200 than 50, myself. :P

5 years ago

Next time :D

5 years ago

I mean, I guess technically all you need is the unicorn mount skin, the Batman player skin, and the mod that turns dragons into a very angry Thomas the Tank Engine (and, if you find out a way to convert the Mario Land mod so it affects all locations in the base game, that as well)... but y'know, once you get started on modding, there's always "just one more thing to add". :P

I actually mod for enhanced immersion, but I do love the fact that those are all actual mods for the game. :3

5 years ago

Sticking to basics since it's my first time playing the game and would like to experience the original, as well as get all the way through it without breaking it, but Thomas the Tank has got my attention for future reference. I don't need any unicorns (or anime inspired hairstyles for that matter) but if you come across a Pegasus mod, I'd be interested.

5 years ago

There's this, but I dunno if it works as well as the oblivion version.

5 years ago

To be honest, I have never played any of these games and I am not a modder. So I'd say... as long as you have fun modding them... pick whichever you like most. If it's because you want to have as many people as possible use your mod, go with the newer game of the two.

5 years ago*

While I do create my own mods- some rather extensive, going as far as to be full conversion mods- my interest is in utilizing mods for myself. It's a question of compatibility on other people's works (which is relevant also for personal modding, as modding has a tendency to base and build off other mods), rather than of the modding infrastructure itself.

5 years ago

Well, if it's about compatibility, would the older game be the better choice since most established mods are most compatible with one another rather than new mods for newer games?

5 years ago

Most mods for Skyrim work with the enhanced version of the same game.. only a small number don't, which is why I'm trying to get a clearer idea of how significant that number is. The original version is the intuitive consideration, of course, but if the mods that aren't forward-compatible are so minimal or easily worked around as to be negligible, then it may not be worth digging out a removed game edition for purchase, and just stick with purchasing the prettier, more stable version of the game.

5 years ago

I see. Well, in these regards I'm no help, I guess. Good luck finding the information your looking for!

5 years ago

Happy very belated cakeday!

As far as SE vs. LE is concerned, the main thing for me is to confirm that playing with mods on SE completely disables all achievements. Because if so, I would install a graphical mod (or something) and play Skyrim (finally, after all these years) without worrying about achievements.

But on-topic, my impression is that most decent, supported mods have been ported over to SE. And the reasons for playing SE (graphics, optimizations, bugfixes) outweigh the occasional mod that hasn't been converted to SE. YMMV.

5 years ago*

pppppppppppppsssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
therer is a mod to re-enable the disabled achievement made by mod

5 years ago

That's good to know...but also the last thing I want to do. I want them disabled for reasons.

5 years ago

I'd say no

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.