http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751

" This new path, which we’re calling “Steam Direct,” is targeted for Spring 2017 and will replace Steam Greenlight. We will ask new developers to complete a set of digital paperwork, personal or company verification, and tax documents similar to the process of applying for a bank account. Once set up, developers will pay a recoupable application fee for each new title they wish to distribute, which is intended to decrease the noise in the submission pipeline."

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Looks good on paper, let's see how it turns out :)

7 years ago

Instead of curating the entries they just put a big paywall. That is kind of lazy, unless there some things that will be sorted out in the future. I'm happy that GOG exists, they have the right ideas on the subject (at least I heaven't seen any problems with it).

7 years ago

Lazy half-assed sollutions are kinda Valve's thing. Just look at sgma, automated support or just dismissing any keymade review.

7 years ago

Great less crap on steam!

7 years ago

You do realize anyone who pays the fee will get their game released on Steam with the new rules? No negative votes to discourage you, no public exposure of your game to customers who'll ask for features and stuff... or at least see it before a steam page pops up.

And devs will get said fee back at a certain point. How is that stopping "crap"?

7 years ago

If fee is substantial enough at least some game devs will consider before paying it. As they have to make money. On other hand if the game is sellable enough it's easy to cover.

7 years ago

Steamspy just shared:

Of 5,245 games released on Steam in 2016 around 1,700 made over $15,000 - enough to recoup $5,000 fee.
The number grows to 2,100 games with over $9,000 in total revenue if the fee is $3,000. Can't go lower, not enough precision :(
And of course some games released late in 2016 and didn't have a lot of time to move enough copies.

More than 1,700 games per year would still be more than enough to keep all bundle sites alive. ;)

7 years ago

And those 3000+ games are probably ones that no one cares about, apart from cards. So nothing of value lost.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

7 years ago

No music is waste of resources. Anyway should all of these artist be on Spotify, Itunes, Amazon, etc etc. automatically, once they have released single piece?

7 years ago

Doesn't this assume that all owners bought from Steam, and thus completely ignore those bought from bundles/freebies/cheap games on Ru sites or Dig store?

I doubt many of the 1$ shovel ware made close to enough to cover the possible $5k without heavily relying on the card market/bundle sites.

7 years ago

Correct, I made the very same objection to Sergey.

7 years ago

Is steam finally taking right steps? Looks like and I'm amazed

7 years ago

As much as I would like Valve quality assurance, are we sure humans control this stuff. Or is it just going to one of their automated systems so nothing changes really?
Otherwise its simply pay and get on, and nothing will change much scamwise.

7 years ago

fully automated, pay & get in.

7 years ago

gg Lord Gaben! The same as before only that Valve now gets more money directly at the beginning :O

7 years ago

A huge blow to Groupees. Where will they get their garbage games from now?

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

Well, Valve seems to be finally fed up with trash flooding their servers, everything is better than that Google Play skin called Greenlight.

7 years ago

Glad to see Greenlight zipped up in a digital bodybag, but uncertain about the replacement.

"Democratisation" of the Steam platform has only led to a deluge of crap, making decent games difficult for the average user to find amongst the morass of dross. Hopefully Gaben and co can find a solution to the problem...

7 years ago

bad games are bad,, if they release on steam, they won't sell, I don't see what was wrong with the system other than a few people getting angry they had to navigate a few extra pages to find games they wanted... meh..

7 years ago

Mixed feeling about this decision. On one hand, this will (hopefully) free Steam from the flood of bad/stupid/meme games, on the other, internal grading will probably never be transparent enough and opens some new fields of game devs abuse...

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.