So i got my copy of FarCry 3 today from AMD and i get low fps.

I used to play the "not-so-original" version just fine at around 45/50fps with some ocassional framedrops.
Now that i have the legit original version i get around 25/30 fps with the same settings but anti-aliasing set to off instead of 8.

This is weird. Why would i get less fps with the legit version?

Anyone else got fps problems with this game? Has anyone run the "not-so-original" and the legit version onthe same pc with this weird results?

EDIT:
Can't find anything realating the low fps's to game updates/patches.
Can't "downgrade" the game version because uplay automaticly updates the game.
Tryed a clean install of catalyst, and updating directx and what not.

Ended up just lowering shadows and water so i get 40+ fps.

I will continue my research for a solution. If some one has the same problem and was able to solve it please post what you did.

EDIT2:
Finnaly able to properly change from dx11 to dx9 by editing the xml file.
Average of 45 fps, some places i get 35 and on another places i get 60+

I am done with this, sick of editing things and open/closing the game.

F*cking uplay busted this game....

EDIT3:
So, i formated my rig with a legit copy of win7 x64 professional and just installed drivers, steam and uplay.

Now i have about the same performance as i did with the pirate version of FC3!
DX11, anti-alliasing x2, alpha-to-coverage standard, every thing maxed exept shadows, postfx and water that are at medium and i have a average of 45/50fps @ 1440x900!

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Maybe it installed on another harddisk, Ssd is slightly faster than normal.

1 decade ago

i only have 1 wd green on my rig so that can't be it.

1 decade ago

"green" drives are the slowest piles of shit you can buy .... and ssd's make a hell of a difference and i love how you want help but don't post spec's lol

1 decade ago

ssd's don't really effect frame rate, just load times.

1 decade ago

I can't wait to get a 2tb ssd.

Thats when get one, when they cost less then 200 bucks and are about 2tb :-D!

1 decade ago

Since when SSDs improve FPS?

1 decade ago

Never, since never.

1 decade ago

did you install another thing with the "not so legit" copy?... some different version of DX? a third party soft?...
also, you can try disabling the "steam overlay" thing...

1 decade ago

nope, just the game installer...
btw, the game is on uPlay so no steam overlay.
uPlay instaled updates for the games, until 1.5 i think and i don't know if the "not so legit" had any updates. but i've onlu experienced less fps resulting of game updates in GTA IV.

I will try to do a fresh install of catalyst and update dx and what not....

1 decade ago

I had some issues lately as well; they were gone when I disabled AA tho. Perhaps that's a drivers-connected issue? I'm running it on 660GTX, how about you?

1 decade ago

HD 7770

"lately"? did you update the game? i think that the fps decrease might be associated with the updates, just like what happens og GTA IV....

1 decade ago

Is AA enabled in Catalyst control panel?

1 decade ago

It was dissabled in-game but "use application settings" on catalyst? should i force it to turn off?

the things is, if the used the exact same settings as i used in the "not so legit" version, i get half the fps or less as i did.... really strange...

1 decade ago

try turning it off in catalyst and activating it game.

1 decade ago

same fps result...

1 decade ago

Maybe a game update screwed up performance?

1 decade ago

thanks exacly what i've been thinking, but i can't find anything on the web...
i will try do do a fresh amd driver install and update dx and what not, if that doesn't help, i will to into downgrading the game version...

1 decade ago

You could if it does not improve see if the old version still runs smoother, honestly it would not surprise me if Uplay was the actual issue....it could be killing some FPS.

1 decade ago

can you play it without uplay?

1 decade ago

i don't but i will try and i will be back in a minute.

1 decade ago

if im not mistaken, the game has one for dx11 and one for dx9 exe. try the dx9

1 decade ago

even if i start the game from the farcry.exe and farcry_d3d11 it allways starts uplay in order to open the game.

i've tryed switching from dx11 to dx9 in-game and restarted the game for the change to take effect, but no change in fps, with is wierd :/

1 decade ago

hmm. its the update then

1 decade ago

Could definitely be this. You may have been playing the dx9 version with the old copy and not with the new one. I believe you can see the difference in the task manager, seeing whether it shows the process as "farcry3.exe" or as "farcry3_d3d11.exe".

1 decade ago

like i've sayed, i used to play the other version in dx11.
with the legit version, if i switch from dx11 to dx9 and restart the game the fps are the same...

1 decade ago

Shouldn't be the same. DirectX 9 renderer is about 30% faster. In some areas it doubles the framerate.

1 decade ago

Odd I have a 7770 in my main computer and it runs fine at ultra settings.

1 decade ago

i used to play the "not so legit" version every thing maxed out at 45 fps, but the legit version is just tripping balls...

what update do you have installed? 1.05?

1 decade ago

I am running the latest version.

1 decade ago

My pirated version worked fine xD

1 decade ago

Maybe god is just punishing you for stealing... who knows.

1 decade ago

"god", "stealing"?? are you for real dude?
first thing, piracy is not "stealing". you don't take the game away from someone so you can have it.
second thing, the problem is with the legit version, e bet that if i get a pirated version it will run smothly as hell!

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Well, you bought it, so i see no evil in using the "public" version if it yelds a better gameplay. I dont know if the game have multiplayer, but it should get better FPS.

1 decade ago

Im pretty sure it's Uplay's problem :3 I get less lag when Im playing non steam version of the games too because I guess the overlay lags me for some reason

1 decade ago

I misread the thread title and thought you were talking about a low first person shooter. If it is a low FPS, you should sit down or stop crouching. It makes the FPS just right.

1 decade ago

yea that happen often, legit buyers usually have more problems :( sadly

1 decade ago

Pirated versions usually have some things taken out of them to make the file size smaller; cutscenes, languages, and other non-need items. I think some copies of pirated versions also take out the higher quality to save space too which would answer your problem if you were actually running a lower image quality than the legit copy.

Edit: I guess I spoke wrongly. It's been a LONG time since I've pirated a game...

1 decade ago

actually those are RIP copies of pirated versions, every pirated game comes with the original files intact + a crack.

1 decade ago

true fact, CombatWars obviously speak without knowledge

1 decade ago

Lolz, I've stopped pirating a long time ago. I remember one time that in the description, the uploader said that the image quality was lessened or something, but I might've remembered wrong lolz.

1 decade ago

more like a repack/black box

1 decade ago

Are you kidding?

You mean rips? Those are harder to find then full untouched copies. Also what it does cut would literally have no effect on his FPS, the most they cut is cut-scenes, certain music, languages, all factors that have 0 to do with FPS.

Honestly you rarely even see one in this day and age, also what are you talking about with lower image quality, that doesn't happen...not sure where you heard that whacked out rumor, doesn't even make sense, what did they go in, take all the textures and shrink them O_o....not a chance. If you are referring to resolution that never happens.

1 decade ago

Lolz, I've stopped pirating a long time ago. I remember one time that in the description, the uploader said that the image quality was lessened or something, but I might've remembered wrong lolz.

1 decade ago

Rips use to be a tiny bit more common(Due to shit connection and lack of space I am guessing it was ore popular), but that uploader really must have not known what he was talking about.

1 decade ago

Lolz, when I used to pirate, I ONLY looked at rips because I had a shit internet speed of 76KB/s. Anything over 3GB, I tossed the possibility out the window.

1 decade ago

Say 'lolz' one more gorram time.

1 decade ago

lolz

1 decade ago

There was some fps setting in-game that improved performance for me significantly, like setting the graphics card to pre-render a specific number of frames. Try that OP and see if it helps.

1 decade ago

On the "not so legit" version I had 15 fps but I took a look at some tweaks and then it had around 30 fps.

1 decade ago

Turn off the SSAO/Ambient Occlusion. You'll get a giant performance boost and funnily enough, it makes the game looks significantly better disabled.

1 decade ago

Yup, I always turn that stuff off as well + my pc stays much quieter and I can really get into whatever game I'm playing.

1 decade ago

In-game i only have 3 options for ssao: ssao, hdao, hbao. so i guess i will have to disable it by editing the XML file?

1 decade ago

done, edited the xml file, gained around 5/7 fps....

another strange thing is that if i set shadows to low or ultra, i have better fps on ultra :/

now this is getting just crazy....

1 decade ago

well nvidia has this software called Geforce Experience that optimize the games graphic setting for you automatically. i don't know about AMD

1 decade ago

CPU and RAM not enough maybe?

1 decade ago

they are enough. the thing is that i got much better fps with a pirated copy than with a legit copy.

1 decade ago

You could always try doing a system defrag and clearing your PC of all unneeded files and make sure no RAM heavy programs are running at the same time.

1 decade ago

the "basic" things was what i've done in the first place. defrag, regestry cleaning, etc.

1 decade ago

google "far cry 3 graphics tweaks", there is one tweak that should give you 10-20 fps boost, i remember looking for that one

1 decade ago

Well, i am almost tempted to format my hdd...
But i would have to back up all my saved games, loss some hours to reinstall all the drivers and software and re-download every game from steam and uplay again...
And i guess the result would be the same....

1 decade ago

Got a legit copy of Windows 7 x64!
Let's get hands to work and see if it improves my situation changes.

1 decade ago

It will. ALWAYS go with x64 if you plan on gaming.

1 decade ago

I know x64 is better, i am not a newfag to computers and gaming xD

Now i have a LEGIT copy of Win7 x64. ahhaha

Downloading FC3 right now, will post a update later.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 8 years ago.

1 decade ago

30fps is barely plyable...
and i lost fps's, dx11, anti-aliasing and dept of field...

BTW, atleast this thread is about important and usefull stuff. not another "Steam Summer Sale" thread. -.-''

1 decade ago

Yep, I had a similar FPS rate and it was hardly playable. To cap it all I was experiencing micro-stuttering. Just to 'console' you - I was running the game on 7850 :D But it might have been a problem with my cpu, i3, which is a dual core processor that isn't enough for this game. It just has to have 4 physical cores. Anyway, I remember some gpu tests and even gtx680 had hard time on highest settings (~50fps).

1 decade ago

Ubisoft just lost some points on my consideration...
A unpatched pirate version running much better than a legit patched version...

1 decade ago

That i3 is fine my friend is runing it with an old q6600 and a gtx 760 and gets about 60fps on high/ultra

1 decade ago

q6600 has 4 physical cores (weaker, but 4) and gtx760>hd7850

1 decade ago

So, i formated my rig with a legit copy of win7 x64 professional and just installed drivers, steam and uplay.

Now i have about the same performance as i did with the pirate version of FC3! DX11, anti-alliasing x2, alpha-to-coverage standard, every thing maxed exept shadows, postfx and water that are at medium and i have a average of 45/50fps @ 1440x900!

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by MerkabahPT.