Road World Championships - Road Race 2017

How it works

Predict who is going to win the race; that's all. Entries close when the race starts. Since it's a one day race just enter your predictions below.

Once the cycling and Formula One seasons have finished I will create a special winner's event for everyone who correctly predicted a race giving them a shot at some nice games.

Race Preview

This could be a very historic race but will the weather play a big part?

Sites
Wikipedia

Favorites

• Only one name could be first here; Peter Sagan. If he wins it would be his third consecutive world title; a feat never performed before. Rumors are he's ill but his team has denied this, saying he just has a sore throat.
  • When you mention Sagan, you can't help but mention Greg Van Avermaet as well these days. The last two seasons he finally managed to rid himself of his second place curse and no doubt he'll be fighting for the title on Sunday.
  • Michał Kwiatkowski has beaten both of the above on his day and could do it again here.
  • Michael Matthews had a good season and his team(Sunweb) has had amazing success at the World Championships so far; if he could win it would be the cherry on the cake.
  • Norway could have a win with Edvald Boasson Hagen; he hasn't had the greatest of seasons but who knows what a home advantage can do?
  • With four wins in the Giro, Fernando Gaviria will be hoping for a sprint finish; if he still has the energy he'll be hard to beat.
  • France hasn't had a World Champion for twenty years and is looking at Julian Alaphilippe to do it this year.
  • Italy is bringing a strong team with multiple possible winners; men like Matteo Trentin, Diego Ulissi, and Elia Viviani.
  • Does Holland have a shot with Lars Boom? The start of his season was terrible but he has certainly been finding his form recently.

Women's Race Preview

I can't help but mention the women's road race since the Dutch are so strong. :D

I'll just quote a cycling website:

Back when Marianne Vos was the supreme dominant force in women’s cycling, there was a clear hierarchy in the Dutch team come the World Championships that positioned her as the squad’s clear leader and everyone else in supporting roles.

The set-up was extraordinarily successful, with Vos amassing three gold medals and five silver medals between 2006-2013 in the elite road race.

Now, the Dutch team looks as strong as they’ve ever been, but to the extent that it is not obvious which rider should lead the line.

Anna van der Breggen is perhaps the best candidate, given her status as WorldTour and Olympic champion, but Annemiek Van Vleuten has been sensational in the past few months, and even Vos herself is on resurgent form having won the European Championships.

When you consider that the likes Lucinda Brand, Chantal Blaak and Ellen Van Dijk would command leadership roles if they were representing almost any other country, it will be fascinating to see how the Dutch team manages to balance all these stars – if coherent they’ll be near impossible to stop, but internal rivalry could lead instead to an almighty civil war.

Giveaways

Steam Giveaway
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/gWxKw/
Ninja Guy https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/8ZW6U/
View attached image.
View attached image.
6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Peter Saga seems the favourite

6 years ago

Matteo Trentin has come out of the Vuelta in very good condition.

6 years ago

I don't know anything about this but as it is in Norway it would be nice if a Norwegian wins, so I take "Edvald Boasson Hagen" ;)

6 years ago

Ok, let me give this another try here ... Peter Sagan

I'm a bit sleep deprived at the moment

6 years ago

You and me both! I had 3.5 hours two days ago and then 5.5 last night....

6 years ago

Peter Sagan hype train

6 years ago

Jasper Stuyven will take the gold while Sagan, Matthews, Gilbert and Van Avermaet are looking at each other :-).

6 years ago

Belgium sure has enough good riders to actually make that happen!

6 years ago

Michal Kwiatkowski

6 years ago

A few days away from the race, the Belgian team sounds united but as usual I have my doubts if they really are. Sometimes their brands team interests are more important than those of the country team.

6 years ago

Yeah, that has always been the trouble with the World Championships in cycling; they ride for their commercial teams all year and then one day in the year they suddenly need to work together in a national team while the sponsor interest for a team to have a world champion might mean a lot of money.

6 years ago

And that's most probably why the Belgian team (others too) will be riding against each other when they have got halve a chance to do so.

6 years ago

They certainly will. GVA and Gilbert will both not accept to have to work for the other one.

6 years ago

It's the same situation for the Norwegians with Kristoff and Boasson Hagen.

6 years ago

Michał Kwiatkowski.

In other news: Filip Maciejuk got bronze in junior time trial and had his bicycle stolen. Not the time trial bicycle, but the one he needed for Saturday road race :(

6 years ago

Wow, that really sucks. It's amazing how often the bikes get stolen; every year there are numerous news articles about trucks being broken into and a team's bikes being taken.

6 years ago

Phil Gilbert with a solo attack.

6 years ago

Oranje boven, again! ^^

Chantal Blaak, World Champion road race women!

Congrats Corran! :-)

6 years ago

Thanks!

I was finally able to see the entire race today. (Though believe it or not, my tv broke this morning so the only option I had was to watch the NOS livestream.)

Chantal did really great; after that fall she had early in the race I never expected her to do anything for the team, let alone win and become world champion! Kudos!

View attached image.
6 years ago

She must be a fighter because a lot of riders would just have abandoned the race after such a fall.

6 years ago

Definitely!

6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

Hey, Corran!
Thanks for all the events you're doing! :)
I'll go with Sagan.

6 years ago

I almost missed the topic!

Open race but Sagan for me

6 years ago

Predictions Closed

Here's to a great race!

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

Epic camera fail....

6 years ago

Yeah, no kidding!

6 years ago

HOLY FUCK!!!

6 years ago

Photo finish!!!

6 years ago

Sagan does it and grabs an amazing record!

6 years ago

Sagan with the hattrick!

6 years ago

1. Sagan
  2. Kristoff
  3. Matthews

Sagan is World Champion for the third time after a close sprint!

6 years ago

What an amazing finish...

I really wish we could have seen what happened those last few kilometres.

6 years ago

Moscon said on Italian TV that he and Alaphilippe were taken back just outside the last km.
It sucks we could not see those kms but in part it gave an epic ancient time feeling :)

6 years ago

Yeah, the tension got real high as we were waiting and seeing all those motorbikes pass and then suddenly a pack of riders coming around the corner.

6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.