Hello my fellow SteamGifters! πŸ˜ƒ

In about a month from 14 June to 15 July 2018 there will be the 21st FIFA World Cup in Russia. 32 teams compete to determine the worlds best football team and the successor of 2014 winner Germany (yay! πŸ˜„)

I got the idea that we can make a prediction game here and enjoy this event together.

Also I will add giveaways from time to time with different conditions to join. I will put in some hopefully interesting information about the teams, venues or other topic concerning the event in the next weeks.

Rules

You predict the result of the game up to 5 minutes before the match starts. if you get the entirely correct result you get 10 points, if you have the incorrect result but the right tendency you get 5 points

Example

Game result Predicted result Points
2:0 2:0 10
2:0 2:1 5
2:0 2:2 0
2:0 2:3 0
3:1 after extra time 3:1 10
3:1 after extra time 2:1 5
3:1 after extra time 1:1 0
3:1 after extra time 2:3 0
6:8 after penality shoot 6:8 10
6:8 after penality shoot 1:2 5
6:8 after penality shoot 0:0 0
6:8 after penality shoot 3:2 0

At the moment the default setting for when a match ends for the prediction is active which is after penalty shoot.

Furthermore there are some questions you have to answer up to 5 minutes before the first match starts on 14th June.

Question Points
Which team will produce the highest goal scorer? 5
Who will reach the semi-finals? 3 for every correct team (order doesn't matter)
Which team will win group [GROUP LETTER]? 3
Which team will be world champion? 5

Want to participate?

• Please register there with your SteamGifts name to get a chance to win some prizes πŸ˜‰
  • If you have any problems or questions do not hesitate to ask
  • The participants on the page are limited to 300 for the free version, in case more people want to participate, I'll create another one and will link it beneath.

Link to the prediction game

Giveaways:

Venues (with Jigidis)

Name Jigidi Game
Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad Altes Haus (GA ended) Z Steel Soldiers
Central Stadium, Yekaterinburg State Academical Opera and Ballet Theatre (GA ended) Orwell: Keeping an Eye On You
Cosmos Arena, Samara Internet user monument (GA ended) Sunrider Academy
Fisht Olympic Stadium, Sochi Riviera Park (GA ended) Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse
Kazan Arena, Kazan Kul Sharif Mosque (GA ended) BioShock Infinite
Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg Hermitage Museum (GA ended) Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition
Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow Kremlin (GA ended) Duck Game
Mordovia Arena, Saransk Mordovian culture (GA ended) Akihabara - Feel the Rhythm
Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, Nizhny Novgorod Chkalov Staircase (GA ended) Cities in Motion 2
Otkritie Arena, Moscow Saint Basil's Cathedral (GA ended) Post Master
Rostov Arena, Rostov-on-Don Underpass Art (GA ended) Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren`s Call
Volgograd Arena, Volgograd Square of Grief (GA ended) Lakeview Cabin Collection

Teams (with train)

Here's a little train to Russia with all teams in it. At the end of the giveaways half of them have to leave it 😟 For the others the journey will go on πŸ˜ƒ

πŸ›‘ Even if the Secret Sniffer shows something, there is nothing hidden in the train,
it's lvl 2+ 0,3 real ratio + default sgtools conditions πŸ›‘

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Will you watch the World Cup?

View Results
Yes every match I can! =D
Yes but just the games of my own country / favourite participant
Maybe I haven't decided yet
I'll just watch the final game
No I'm not interested in football at all
No because my country didn't qualify :(
I will not watch football as long as the ball isn't in shape of a potato ;)
Other answer: (please tell us in the comments :))

Reserved

5 years ago

Added the first giveaways :D

5 years ago

Added some Jigidis with a GA and information on the venues. Hope you have fun! πŸ˜‰

These GAs should end when the first game in the stadium starts (but I messed up some πŸ˜…)

Please let me know if you find any errors

5 years ago

First giveaways ended, congrats to the winners :)

The JIGIDIS at the venue section are still open and have only few entries, so you have a big chance to win the game =)

5 years ago

Few days left till the start, don't forget to enter your predictions for the bonus answers and the first match day πŸ™‚

5 years ago

πŸš‚ Teams Train added!

πŸ›‘ Giveaway for "Duck Game" ends today at 17 o'clock GMT+2

5 years ago

Count me in, nice idea. The team part i do not understand 100%, we have to create teams together to partipate?

5 years ago

That's exactly what I was going to ask! What does the 10 members part mean? Members of what? O.O

5 years ago

I guess this option would have made too much confusion so I disabled it :)

5 years ago

No it was optional but I guess it will only made it more complicated so I removed this option ;) Thanks for the feedback

5 years ago

Definitely watching the World Cup. However, my team will always disappoint and I suspect this world cup wont be any different.
I'll be happy with England just getting out of the group stage.

5 years ago

Good luck for this year then :) But I have good news, you can first met Iceland in the semi-finals :D

5 years ago

It's always the hope that kills us stevey. I was feeling OK a few weeks ago thinking we had no chance. But now the hope is creeping back in again. England can do it, and therein lies our problem :D

5 years ago

We must be eternal optimists. I should know being a Spurs supporter. Living in hope always :-)

5 years ago

Spurs my Dad's team too. He's always grumbling. I'm even less fortunate being an Ipswich Town supporter...
I live in South Africa now, but was great to have an iFollow sub this year - managed to watch every Town match. OK - maybe it wasn't so great after all! xD

But yeah - England seem to be in good shape / spirit and with a bit of depth. No prima dona's, but a lot of potential stars could emerge from this tournament. Damn - there I go with my dumb-ass optimism again...

5 years ago

England definitely going to final! semifinal vs Croatia
usually me and my friend make fun of england because of big name player but minimum achivement in country level. But this time the team is solid, easy opponent on right side of the table, Kane penalty are WOW. And my group kinda support spurs too because of our asian Son hehe

5 years ago

This is England, my friend. Every time we have a chance we usually fail to take it. IF we beat Columbia, then we have a good chance but England haven't been very good in the knockout stages. Being a big Spurs fan, I hope Harry Kane scores some goals but it would be nice if some of our other players score as well so we're not reliant on him too much.

5 years ago

I will see a few matches, including my national team

5 years ago

Let's go! :D

EDIT: We need to guess the scores ? 2:0/ 1:1? Wouldn't be better to just predict victory/draw?

5 years ago

Yes, believe me that's thrilling till the last minute of the match and makes you either celebrate or curse any goal ;)

But you also get points for the correct tendency, you just get more if you predict the correct result.

But if many others would prefer the other mode, I'll change it of course :)

5 years ago

Other answer: (please tell us in the comments :))

am willing to watch the Final between Italy and the Netherlands. (Hoax)

5 years ago

yup, they're best team in world cup
cant wait to see player like depay, van dijk, or even buffon

5 years ago

Although I live in Germany, I have absolutely zero interest in football. I know, it's kinda mandatory to be crazy about it as a German, but I seriously couldn't care less and I have absolutely no idea about anything.
That being said, two years ago during the Euro Cup, my working group in my university started a similar betting game. I participated just for the lulz. Long story short: I crushed everyone in that game. I basicly chose my bets randomly and got waaay better scores than everybody else in my working group. So I just registered for this one, let's see if I'm still as lucky as before :D

5 years ago

Actually it is quite common that people without much background knowledge do better as there are always favourites who struggle a lot and underdogs who rock the show (like Iceland did in 2016)

5 years ago

We are all onto you! We all know that your few wrong predictions are a feeble attempt to hide your time travel machine! But we know better!

:D :D :D

Cheers (and wow, really? Even the Argentina-Iceland game?)

5 years ago

So far It's working. Just a quick detail. Argentina won a penalty and Messi which is the best player in the world failed to score. That would have been 2-1 Argentina. Nice guess on that one m8.

5 years ago

Voted for other, since I will definitely watch the German matches, but also at least a dozen other interesting games.
I'm already planning to bet against my colleagues, so I might not want to do it twice. But I consider it. Either way: nice idea, Moony! :)

5 years ago

Falls ihr dafΓΌr auch KickTipp nutzt, dort gibt es eine Option die Vorhersagen auf andere Tippgruppen zu kopieren

5 years ago

Oh, die Funktion kannte ich noch nicht. Danke!

5 years ago

Will watch almost all matches and probably will buy some tickets and watch 1-2 games live (since i currently work in Moscow),

wish we will see Brazil vs Germany or Argentina vs Portugal in final Κ•β€’α΄₯β€’Κ”

5 years ago*

After the 7-1 (if i remember correctly) i would prefer to not see a match like that on the final.Brazil is getting weaker year by year, their golden age is over.

5 years ago

yeap, 7-1 (ΰ² _ΰ² )

Anyway, since team from my national country does not participate in world cup - i will pick my fav team in each new game 乁( β—” ΰ±ͺβ—”)ㄏ

5 years ago

Same thing, after 2004 my team is really really bad so i try to pick the team that seems more attractive to me in each match. Lets just hope that they will be nice matches with lots of goals:)

5 years ago

Brazil is currently in a crazy good form, though. They've renewed since 2014 and have better leadership (manager).

A rematch would be epic.

5 years ago

Will see mostly all matches, excluding my national team...

5 years ago

No because my country didn't qualify :(
1(2%)

5 years ago

Nice. I'm, and my predictions are up. Can we wait until the group stage is done before putting in the predictions for the rest of the matches?

5 years ago

You can enter and edit your prediction up to 5 minutes before the match you are predicting starts

5 years ago

I think it would be better to add more points, when you guess goal-difference right

Right score of the game - 10 points
Right difference of goals - 5 points
Right resuly(who is winner) - 3 points
That's a classic variant of prediction-cup.

5 years ago

I agree that 5 points just for the generally right direction is too much.

And it would be wise to take results after 90 minutes, instead of extension. And counting penalty shootings is especially pointless.

5 years ago

I considered that but I tried to make the rules as simple as possible for those who are not experienced with a prediction game.

There is also an option where you get the more points the nearer you are to the actual result, so a 3:1 prediction of a 3:2 game would give more than a 2:1 or 4:0.

But this version and also the goal difference version have another disadvantage as experienced members will always enter the most common result (2:1 / 1:2). They would get many points if the result is indeed 2:1/1:2 and also another very common result 1:0/0:1 will give them many points. In former prediction games I participated this always resulted in a discord.

5 years ago

One more reason though, to count the results after 90 minutes. As otherwise predicting draws will be pointless, after the group stage.

5 years ago

I've never faced such variant with nearer result. What will be nearer to 3:2, 3:1 or 4:2? Or that will be same points, then how will be given points with more far-away results. And will be count as a "near result" 2:2 with prediction 2:1? Strange scheme.
Anyway, is it problem, that in prediction-game football-fans probably will get better chanse than the newbies? Usually that's the point of such competitions, more you know - you predict better. Not some random stuff, and with counting only correct score of game and winners prediction-game will be more random. And the rule about goal-difference isn't so complicated, no need in some long explanations or extra-rules,

5 years ago*

I see your point here but I think every version of the rules has its supporters. Someone else here mentioned why we not just predict win/draw/loss others may be think the goal difference (see below) is fairest others may like another possible option of this site most, where you get more points if the correct tendency prediction you made wasn't predicted by the majority (e. g. predicting Iceland winning against Argentina)

I think I leave the rules as they are now and see how this affects the prediction game. The next time we can possibly use another rule if this version doesn't work out well.

Here's the explanation of the goal difference rule from the options:

View attached image.
5 years ago

Joined!

Reminds me of the specific group and event that we had for the last two tournaments. But after checking if we could re-establish that too, I registered that TorcidaVerde is banned now.

I think the only games I have missed from WC and EC matches in this century, are those that run at the same time, at the final group stage. :D

5 years ago

I'll watch the matches with Belgium and a lot of other ones. ^^

Thank you for your event and giveaways, Moony!

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

I'm curious why you use the word "extension", is it something translated from German?

5 years ago

It is. We call it "VerlΓ€ngerung", which translates into extension. He probably considered that the usual "EXT" for extra time, stands for extension. :)

5 years ago

Oops :D

5 years ago

Danke! ;)

5 years ago

Sorry confused it with "extra time". I changed it on the OP. Thanks for you feedback ;)

5 years ago

Nah, it's no big deal. And we usually go by the full time results, not extra time or penalties. Every match will reach full time but not every match will go into extra time or penalties.

5 years ago

Our national teams will match on june 17. Nobody expect them to beat the 2014 champion but they were so close in 98...
I laughed cause I was thinking on a World Cup thread with some Pixel Cup Soccer 17 giveaways but waiting until june 1st for not making It that long, but I understand why you did this already. It's a huge event for people that likes soccer. Adding a prediction chart and rewards is pretty cool Moony ^^. Can't wait for that match.

5 years ago*

Looking forward to that match too. πŸ™‚ It's too bad that two countries of the group have to go that early, I like them all 😟

5 years ago

Netherlands not participating, so mweh.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Yes that's really sad, hope to see them back on Euro 2020 :)

5 years ago

Thanks for setting this up, I'm definitely in. :D

5 years ago

I like this a lot, count me in!

5 years ago

This could be fun, so I'm in! :D

And hopefully, this will be the World Cup in which Argentina will finally kick Germany's ass! We were just this close to winning the previous cup, and that's something you just don't forget... XD

5 years ago

Haha you wish ;)

Actually in 1986 and 1990 the final match was Germany vs. Argentina with first a win of Argentina and 4 years later a win of Germany.

But I wouldn't mind another match against Argentina as this would mean that both reach at least the semi-finals :)

5 years ago

Who knows? Anything could happen... :P

5 years ago

lol

5 years ago

will contribute something later, missing poll option - will watch some (that I think of interesting) :P

5 years ago

Brazil-zil-zill!

5 years ago

hu3hu3 BRBR

5 years ago

I will watch every game I can. Ofc I hope that our Mannschaft (germany) will win the World Cup again, but I also look forward to see some Underdogs defeating the favourites. Too bad Netherlands and Italy are missing this time, it's more emotional when the big rivals also participate in the tournament.

5 years ago

chit chat about world cup is forbidden on Bayern Muenchen locker room!

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.