check out the guy who won the Skyrim giveaway:

Hi (that's his username btw)
Steam Profile (not posting the link as it would be a scammer fest)
Registered 2 months ago
Giveaways Entered 412
Gifts Won 1
Comments 1

poor kid had to enter 412 giveaways before he actually won something, but that turned out to be the "jackpot", so to speak :D Good on you Hi!

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I'm not hugely fond of the fact that he's entered 412 giveaways and only commented on one.

1 decade ago

Funny...when I say something like that, you disagree with me. shrug

1 decade ago

This is why I only create private giveaways and share the URL only on select places.

1 decade ago

"jackpot" = fake?

1 decade ago

What? No
Jackpot = Skyrim

...with 5580 entries

1 decade ago

WHEEEEEEEEET

1 decade ago

1 comment.

This makes me slightly sad, it isn't hard to code a script that just adds you into whatever you want to be added in, run it in the background and you never have to check SteamGifts, just enjoy the free gifts that come your way from your "jackpot"

Fucking 1 comment winners >:(

1 decade ago

This.

1 decade ago

I'm not sure if I understand this sentiment. Am I to understand, then, that you're saddened because he's never commented on a contest? What if he had commented on the forums? How would you know the difference as the forum comments and game comments count to the same numerical value on your profile?

1 decade ago

I think it's as much because he hasn't taken any activity at all within the community beyond clicking 'Join Giveaway' and a singular comment as it is that it was specifically on a contest. While the forum and comments might be bundled into a single figure, they at least show that you're willing to participate and communicate, rather than just remain silent.

1 decade ago

This.

And I browse the forums regularly, his name has not popped up at all on the forums since I've joined. He's here for the prizes and not showing any gratitude to the xxx amount of people he's tried getting a game from. We give games away for free, the least you could show is a little gratitude.

1 decade ago

exactly, we give games away for free, why?

certainly not because we're looking for praise from people we don't know.

people will always be looking for handouts and never give thanks, so don't be surprised.

1 decade ago

Well if you're expecting gratitude then it's not really a gift anymore, it's more of an exchange. I personally thank whoever I receive a gift from because I appreciate the gesture more so than the gift, but not everyone is going to think that way, this situation being a prime example.

A lot of people view this website as a place to get free games and nothing more, which I'll agree to a point is wrong, so maybe they could implement something to benefit the contributors that give public gifts a little more, (EX: Letting them have a higher point cap or receiving a higher percentage of points per gift added to the site.) so people would feel more inclined to create their own giveaways and contribute more to the community.

Add that with making points harder to acquire or limiting the amount of giveaways you can enter over a certain period of time on top of them losing points per giveaway entered-and I'm sure we would see people invest more into the website while not feeling disheartened by the fact that they can enter 400 giveaways and come out with nothing in return. Everyone giving away free gifts would feel like they're getting something from it as well.

Just my opinion, of course.

1 decade ago

Even if you implement a "benefit" to gifting on here, it's still considered an exchange, so your expecting gratitude comment becomes moot. Some can do it for zero comments, others like to know that they're appreciated.

1 decade ago

I wouldn't call it moot, they use the keyword gift because that's what it is at the current moment on here. They could enforce it by requiring a comment to enter but then hearing the word "thanks" over and over again would feel hollow. The rules only encourage it at the current moment and points are given to everyone instead of only gift givers so it's not a proper form of exchange

Wanting to be appreciated is more of a personal issue. As you said you can do it for many reasons, but that also means you won't always get what you wanted from it.

1 decade ago

He had only ONE comment... so that would be just one forum post OR one comment in a giveaway... either way, Torian has the right to be slightly sad.

1 decade ago

I'm not implying any of you. However, I would rather see one comment than someone who has only entered 100 giveaways and posted 400+ comments complaigning about the site. Sometimes I can't stand to read forums becuase stupid people just make me mad. Enjoy the site for what it is.

As long as i can click on his profile later and see that he is playing that game I don't really care. In order to put in 400 entries he has obviously been around for a while and put his fair share of time into the site. Some people are willing to read whats going on but just might be too shy to comment.

GRATZ HI.

1 decade ago

It's because you giveaway a lot of things and comment in a lot of giveaways you enter, right

1 decade ago

The only reason I have 150+ comments is because I feel the need to put whiners in their place. Hold up, let me get you some cheese to go with that.

1 decade ago

whining about whiners

1 decade ago

I'm sorry that I like to enjoy the site for what it is and like to defend it.

1 decade ago

I don't see the big deal about people with a low comment count.
The more people that say thanks for a giveaway the less it feels like you're actually being thanked.

However, if/when I win, there's 2 things I do.
1: Thank the person profusely. It's more natural, and both people know it's real.
2: Make another giveaway of my own, to try give a bit back to the community.

1 decade ago

Agreed, a lot of people don't realize how cool this website is until they win something. Suddenly they win something and they want to contribute a little more because they feel like they are a part of the community now.

1 decade ago

indeed. I guess that is where his 1 comment came from as well :) not sure though.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by h4r5h4v3ng3r.