I'd like to be able to exclude certain categories on the forum. For example, I personally don't want to see "Deals" (I come on the SG forum for the discussions mostly, not for bundles/deals, etc) and sometimes I even get tired of seeing giveaways/trains threads (which I am also guilty of generating).

My suggestion is to implement the option to include/exclude categories freely, as well as adding additional categories, such as "Giveaways", as I've noticed giveaway threads take up most of the forum. It's not a bad thing, mind you, and I'm definitely not complaining about any of the threads made on SG - This is simply a feature I'd enjoy having when I don't feel like seeing certain kind of threads.

Of course, I understand that the current system is already very decent - I can just browse through each category I want to read individually. But I like progress, so I'm throwing this idea out there. (To be fair, I'm so unsure if that would be a good suggestion that I almost didn't create this thread at all - But fuck it, why not.)

Edit: Feature was added to ESGST. Thanks, rafaelgs18!

6 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I'm sure you'll have more luck with your suggestion if one of the script creators read this thread :)

6 years ago

i would like this.

i'm currently using a modified script from sighery (original hides threads from X users), now it hides whole categories.
if you want i can share it with you (not posting it because it's rude, i only changed some stuff).

View attached image.
6 years ago

Hey, that's pretty neat. I don't assume you have any UI included?

6 years ago

of course not xD

6 years ago

Unfortunately that wouldn't work too well for me, since I'm looking for something I could change on the fly. :(

6 years ago

Well, I've just added such a feature to ESGST. Definitely not as good as an actual implementation, but gets the job done, although it currently only hides the discussions, not the category links in the sidebar, which is something that I can easily add as well.

6 years ago

You're awesome, thank you!

6 years ago

It is better to have too many suggestions than too few. ^^

6 years ago

I expected to find this option in ESGST, but it seems to only hide individual threads. I would really like to hide specific categories too.

tl;dr: +1

6 years ago

I am actually working on a feature that will work similarly to Giveaway Filters, but for discussions.

6 years ago

Sounds great! Thanks for the information, I'll be in the lookout for it.

6 years ago

It's been released. :)

6 years ago

Sounds like a great idea! I'd enjoy having that as an option

6 years ago

Some asked that a while ago I think ? For trains. And everyone fell on him, telling him it was funnier to look for them, and that was actually the point of making such GA...
So making a GA thread category is globaly the same... I need to find the thread back.

But I agree some could find useful to hide whole category.

EDIT : look at that poll 3 weeks ago

6 years ago*

That thread is pretty unclear on the OP's idea and purpose of the idea - I think it mislead most people to think they were a leech and looking for easy way to enter giveaway (not saying it is, but that's probably what it looks like to most people). In any case, most threads containing giveaways can stay in the category they are... it would be mostly for threads dedicated to giveaways or train specifically. Also no obligation to set your thread to this category - Only if desired.

The most important thing to note is that this category would be near useless unless the option to hide categories on the fly is implemented. I'm suggesting both options, with the ability to hide categories as a priority.

6 years ago

That guy joined three years ago and managed to win two bundled games since then. You can hardly mistake him for a leech. ;-)

6 years ago

Anyone who would quickly misjudge other people probably wouldn't check their profile I guess? :P

6 years ago

Fair point. ;-)

6 years ago

I don't think I'd use it but it wouldn't hurt me either. What I would like is the option to hide threads like I can hide giveaways for games I'm not interested in. It would make discussions less cluttered and more useful for me. It would take certain temptations away from me and I suspect other people might also appreciate that.

6 years ago

There is a userscript for that. Not as great as actual implementation, but still does the job pretty well. :P

6 years ago

That still works on giveaways? Stopped working for me a while ago. I'll hide a giveaway, and it reappears when I refresh the page, but without the X next to it.

6 years ago

Giveaways? HHS was asking about threads.

6 years ago

like I can hide giveaways for games I'm not interested in.

Yeah, I see that now. Misread that bit of his comment.

6 years ago

Yeah, but that would mean finding out what scripts are. Next thing people will want me to get a mobile phone that isn't obsolete. And then I'll be doing crushed avocados in a pop-up gin boutique in Shoreditch and listing to grimestep.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

6 years ago

Oh? I'd assume it is a fairly simple feature (finding all discussions from a category and hiding them). Care to elaborate?

6 years ago

No, it's not. If it can be done through userscript, it can be done. :P And the site already has a filtering system for giveaways, implementing one for discussions wouldn't be that hard.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

6 years ago

Yes to hiding/un-hiding categories with tick-marks next to each in the sidebar.

Don't have a strong opinion either way about a Giveaways section, as it seems that's what General is used for already (and the bulk of discussions there).

6 years ago

Indeed, exactly what I'd love to see implemented.

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.