So still needing to buy a new graphic cards, the next generation but just be a bit much for me right now, and i wanted to go for a 1080 TI but my dad got a 1070 TI which i am now borrowing and there is only a 33% increase vs the 1080 TI however i was wondering how much it would make a difference in VR (as i never tested any VR set i would have no idea about how it looks) but i also can't find much to read about it.

Did a 3dmark fire strike test and went over a 17k score, which was nice. :)

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Take 1070TI or something cheaper :)

I used Oculus Rift CV1 on GTX 970 and games run well, but VR gear itself on curent gen is still not something that I will recommend.
on example Oculus rift CV1
Positive:
Tracking
VR experience ;)

Negative:
Ghosting like hell ;)
To low resolution for my taste games look smother even on 1080P Display
I needed use contact lens * Not glasses friendly
Dust inside lens :**(

In end I sell my Oculus Rift CV1 and end my experience with VR for now I probably buy gen 3 when arrived in distant future current we gave gen 1.

5 years ago*

Maybe Vive would have given you better experiences. ;)

I dunno, maybe i should just find a place to try it first. I also got glasses so would be a factor.

5 years ago

I chose Oculus Rift CV1 because have better image over Vive look here

zoom x8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OPCZ4tBvAw

original CV1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3yDMgiqqjI&feature=youtu.be

5 years ago

But Pimax looks even better (not that i heared about it till now).

5 years ago

Pimax have superior resolution but crap tracking and software
They doing now Pimax 8k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne0cmvl8GqM

5 years ago

970 was the minimum requirement for Rift when it launched. If you have a 970 and a VR set then obviously it'll do the job but I wouldn't recommend a 970 for anyone looking to upgrade/build a rig for VR as it will likely start falling behind pretty quickly.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

5 years ago

But aren't they all recommended and you could getter better SS, so you saying 1060 will perform better in alot of games over a 1080 ti? Well 1080 Ti or 1070 TI would save me 400 euro, that's not peanuts.

Thanks.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

5 years ago

It depends too much on what you're going to run. If you want pure math answer then yes, 1080 Ti will always outperform 1070 Ti, but by how much, that's up to debate. It can be a lot, but it can also be a super small difference.

I wouldn't say that you need 1080 Ti if you already have 1070 one. Sure, if you were about to buy, then that would be entirely different discussion, but if you already have it then I don't see any logical reason to switch for better one, it's too small and insignificant difference to justify price. I'd rather wait for next-gen at least and consider then if your 1070 experience won't be as good as you expected.

5 years ago

I am borrowing my dads 1070 TI (he wants something back, his card or money) , i still need a card as because else i only got an onboard from my 8700k. It's about keeping this 1070 TI and my dad buys another or i just go for a 1080 TI, with a 400 euro difference.

I am not suprised if next gen will hit 1500 euro, and that would just be ridiculous much.

5 years ago

Grab second hand GTX 970 or GTX 1060 6GB and you will be ok

5 years ago

I don't really like to buy such things second hand (who knows what happened with it before or how heavily it's been used (crypto f.e).
https://www.alternate.nl/GIGABYTE/GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Gaming-8G-grafische-kaart/html/product/1393400? is what i am borrowing now and 519 is acceptable (Msi 1080 TI i had my eyes on, 949 euro).

5 years ago

Second hand GTX 970 can be at 1/3 price of GTX 1070TI
My own cost me only £110

My PC https://pcpartpicker.com/b/JzNQzy * I updated now to I7

5 years ago

Alternate is meestal rete duur :/ kijk eens op tweakers.nl of je niets cheaper vind.

5 years ago

Plus it's a dedicated hardware website from your own region, not random foreigners with potato PCs and pcpartpicker links :P

5 years ago

I think the limiting factor on how good VR looks is really the headset, not the gfx card. If it's another 400 euros for you to go for the 1080ti, I wouldn't bother.

I'm using a standard 1080, myself.

5 years ago

I had a GTX1080ti and it was great with a Vive.
You can enable supersampling and that does help things look better etc, but whatever VR set you go for atm you will have the screen door effect. (unless you use Pimax, but as above the tracking etc is not so good)
I sold my 1080ti in preparation for the new gen cards out in the next month or 2 though...

5 years ago

1080 ti cards are 'down' to 800 - 850€ again (at least over here in DE) so if you can afford it then go for it!

sadly they bench only in 1080p but the 1080 ti should be around 33% faster in general.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/3943vs3918

anyway you want all the speed you can get when running VR or a 4k display.

5 years ago

It largely depends on what you're planning on playing in VR. For general VR games that are built for VR from the ground up - like Robo Recall, Lone Echo, The Climb, SuperHot VR - an RX 480 or GTX 1060 is fine. For something like Assetto Corsa / Project Cars, or even Euro Truck Simulator, you'll want the most powerful video card you can afford.

As for VR itself, I wouldn't recommend it at present. I got to try a Rift for a few weeks, and it was a nice novelty but not something I feel justifies the cost at present. SuperHot VR with room scale was amazing for a few hours, but not something I'd want to play over and over again. The Climb, with the touch controllers, was awesome and I was surprised by how my arm and back muscles tensed as if I was actually climbing. A session in The Climb gave me an upper body workout, and that's a game I would gladly play again, but it's really the only one.

If you have the money to burn, go for it. If you're on a budget, I'd hold off. The low resolution and screen door effect of the Rift and basic Vive become really apparent with more cinematic games such as Lone Echo, where I often felt frustrated because I couldn't make out what the game expected me to be able to see. The Vive Pro is much better in that regard, and largely resolves that issue, but you'll definitely want a 1080 Ti to power that monster. But given how expensive it is, I can't readily recommend it to anyone without money to burn.

5 years ago

I never tried VR so i won't know how much i would like it, i got 200+ VR games (alot from those indiegala bundles though) but i would want to be able to try any game possible, thus maybe get the most powerful video card (and yes the next generation is coming but then there is a next and a next and so on) same for VR sets, probably takes alot of years before it really gets perfect.

I can always take the card (even for a vive pro) ahead just for gaming, VR is not really a prioritity for me to have right now, it'd be just nice to have.

5 years ago*

That's true. If you can try VR somewhere first, or get the set from a place you can return to, that would be the best way. Because you may find that the novelty quickly wears off, or you don't have enough room for any room-scale stuff (Rift claims it only needs 5'x7', but I had to clear off 6'x9' of space in order for it to work, and still ended up punching my desk and window occasionally), or you wear glasses and the headset doesn't work with your glasses.

I'd just hate for you to spend the money on it and discover that you don't really like it, particularly if you go with the Vive Pro (which resolves the low resolution, blurry text, screen-door effect issues, but is really expensive).

5 years ago

Aren't they supposed to be announcing the newer stuff in the next month, maybe two?

I would wait for the price drops then look into it, unless the mining craze has them insane too.

Edit: Nevermind, AMD stuff isn't due to Q1 next year and no clue on the new Nvidia cards.

5 years ago*

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.