Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407 $499

Specs:

OS - Windows 8

Processor - 3rd Generation Intel ® Core ™ i5-3210M Processor 2.5GHZ with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.1GHz

Storage - 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Memory - 4GB of DDR3 system memory

Display - 15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal ™ LED-backlit Display

Video - NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GT 630M with 1GB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM supporting NVIDIA ® CUDA ™

There is also an option to get it with 2gb of vram but that cost an extra $100. Think its worth it?

And can anybody explain to me exactly what turbo boost is?

I hope to be able to run Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution on decent settings at native resolution.

(And I will definitely be reformatting and installing Win 7.)

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Almost the exact one I own. Mine has 6gigs and 2gb dedicated.
The card is a rebranded 530 I believe so its weaker than you think. Heat is a definite issue because you can't open the back of the laptop to access the fan and clean it. The way its built, if you want to clean the fan (which should be done every couple of months) you have to remove the keyboard and motherboard I believe which with my experience I can't do, thats my major complaint.

The integrated card is more hassle than its worth.

If you plan on playing new games I recommend 6 gigs of ram, ram is cheep though and 100$ is a ripoff.

Apart from that iv enjoyed this laptop, cards not the best but it holds up well. Heat is the main problem, especially after a few months. Acer doesn't provide the most up to date driver for the 630M and we can't use nvidias.

You can have a look at my library and have a look at some of the games that I have a decent amount of time clocked because they run fine.

1 decade ago

If I installed win 7 would I still need acers drivers?

1 decade ago

What you would do is go to Acer's drivers download page and then download the drivers for Windows 7, make sure to do this BEFORE you install Windows 7 and store them on a flash drive. All you really need are the WLAN drivers and then you can install the other drivers after you're connected to the internet if needed.

I had Windows 8 on my laptop (about the same one you're buying) and installed Windows 7. I don't know if you'll have any issues but I disabled UEFI as it's not needed for Windows 7. (BIOS settings)
Then I installed the drivers and it worked perfectly fine.

Game performance:
I get great fps on many games.

For example in Minecraft no mods, everything default settings I get around 90 fps, with Optifine and some optimization I get 120-180.

GMOD, I get 100-150 on high settings.

Portal 2, I get about 100 fps with everything on low.

Mirror's Edge, I get 50-60 fps on default setings (High I believe)

League of Legends, I get 55-60 fps constant (on 3v3 or 5v5s). On dominion I get about 45 fps. Default settings which are all High. (Shadows are low)

Arma 2, using the DayZ mod with everything low on default resolution (1366x768) I get about 20-28 fps. I lowered the resolution and 3D resolution and get about 40-50 fps but when in big towns I get 15-30.
During single player (no DayZ) with the same low resolution and lowest settings I get 50-60fps.

I would say it will NOT run Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution on high or possibly medium settings at native resolution. Low settings would most likely work fine but with medium you might be getting only 20ish fps.

Also, to those saying keep Windows 8, I don't suggest it for the best performance. (But it won't affect it too much) It has Acer programs pre-installed on Windows 8 that you probably will not use.

1 decade ago

I find this computer not the best, but very good. I think he will run this games on medium settings at least. What about that option? Its your choose. Generally it will make you notebook better, but not so much

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

Look for a lenovo, usually they have nice notebooks.

Be carefull to the graphic cards, 710m and 730m are rebrands of 610m and 645m.

1 decade ago

Too expensive.

1 decade ago

1. DON'T REFORMAT AND INSTALL WIN 7. Windows 8 is generally faster than Windows 7, even for games. If you were to install windows 7, I'd recommend a dual boot, so you can choose which one you want on startup. Although I don't have any experience with W7 or W8, I've heard that the shift shouldn't be as bad as you'd think, and you can still install something that brings back the start button and hides the metro UI.

2. For the specs, that price seems more than reasonable. Still, remember, this is kind of a cheapo laptop, so don't expect awesome build quality and the screen isn't super either.

3. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-630M.63761.0.html Here you can find FPS of games running at different detail levels. Sleeping Dogs can run at medium settings, while Hitman dips at medium settings and you should probably run it at low settings.

It seems like a decent buy, but look into Lenovo notebooks and Dell notebooks, which usually offer better specs for the money, and don't be scared of a AMD GPU, they seem to be outperforming the Nvidia GPU's at the same price at the moment.

EDIT: Sorry, overlooked some stuff.

Turbo boost is built in active overclocking. It's done automatically when you need extra performance. However, it usually only activates when you're running off the power adapter and can still throttle back to base speed or even lower because of overheating. Overheating is an issue on quite a lot of thinner laptops and even on regular laptops, so don't expect it to run at max turbo boost speeds all the time.

Also, don't invest the 100$ into a gig of memory, invest it into a better screen (Acer offers the same laptop with a Full HD IPS panel, don't know the price over there) or a better GPU (7730m/640m/...). I remember seeing an explanation video for this, I'll try to find it

1 decade ago

about Windows 8 i agree with DrSpychology i dont think you should reformate . I have it and i can say i never use that screen of windowns 8 .
I have the gt630 , i play a lot of games and have no problems (off course i don't play bf3 on ultra or batmam in extreme config but its medium-high config ).
And dont buy a pc thinking you will get the 3.1 with turbo boost , because you will not ahah you probaly will have the 2.5

sorry about my english

1 decade ago

I pretty much have nearly the exact same specs except my cpu, RAM, and Vram is different.

The turbo boost is basically intel's way of overclocking the cpu when there is more demand. This means that when a intensive application (e.g a game), the boost will automatically activate and run your cpu at a higher clockrate/multiplier, thus better for gaming.

The GT630m is ok in terms of raw gaming power, as new games that you run might need to run at medium settings. At worst, medium-low but I've never played low settings on any game with this gpu. It's a fermi based gpu, so I don't suggest buying it as newer gen gpus are coming out with a bit more future-proofing. Try a kepler if you can really. You should be able to run any game, though. I've played sleeping dogs and I can run it at high settings, with the exception of ssao and shadows turned to low. Everything else is kept to high. Hitman on the other hand, I had to turn shadows and some other settings down to run it. Laptop gpu's are generally not good for shadows and lighting so you should try to turn those down. Notebookcheck can give you a rough idea of the expected fps, but if you customize the settings on your own, you can expect much higher framerates.

As for vram, I find that 2gb gives you a bit more breathing room, and I also found myself using 1.4gbs when running grand theft auto IV, so if you plan on playing a lot of open world games, I suggest you look for other options with 2gbs as $100 for 1gb extra of vram is too much in my opinion.

1 decade ago

I have had such a bad experience with 5 Acer laptops that I don't recommend it to anyone, but spec-wise, that's great for its price. Mind you the 630M can only run Hitman Absolution on very low to low settings, with the exception of textures (I have the 2GB version though.) You'll need to turn off intensive graphics options such as AA and AO, and keep level of detail at low to get smooth 30+ FPS. You could experiment because you have a better CPU than mine though.

I couldn't actually run Sleeping Dogs on my i5 2450M GT630M laptop (got stuck on a loading screen,) but those settings would be good for Hitman Absolution. Runs older games (and well optimized games) very well though. The 630M is actually closer to a rebranded 540M than anything else.

P.S. Keep Windows 8.

1 decade ago

I was able to run Hitman Sniper Challenge on my 256mb card on my current laptop with 1024 x something low. I think the new one could manage decent settings on 1280 x 720 (I don't need my games to be maxed.)

1 decade ago

I did say smooth 30+ FPS, if Dxtory doesn't lie I get 40-60, depends on the level. I don't need my games maxed out either, I prefer constant high frames. I could run Sniper Challenge on high settings, it's just one small level that you don't get to move through, which isn't representative of performance over time you'll get on the real game.

I run them on 1366x768 borderless most of the time, so you can squeeze more frames out if you just go on 1280x720.
As I said, if you get it, you'll have a better CPU and it's always better to just take the word of other people (preferably ones with almost the same setup) and tweak their settings to your own liking.

1 decade ago

The acer laptop is slightly above entry level with the nVIDIA GeForce 630M which should perform on par with haswell's intel integrated graphics 4600. Unless you need a laptop now, i would wait for a back to school sale and get a haswell intel core i3 dell inspiron for 300 to 400 USD because dell uses better monitors

1 decade ago

It's an Acer. Everyone I know who has owned an Acer has ended up with serious overheating issues and the computer lasting a very short time. They use cheap parts and do not know how to get good ventilation going.

1 decade ago

I tore open my old Acer (that was getting 70C idle and 90C under load) and saw that they sloppily put thermal paste on the CPU/heatsink contact. It was all over the place, probably not doing anything at all.

1 decade ago

Sleeping dogs would run just fine at native, but Hitman would be on medium.
I have the same specs, but on an Asus laptop.

1 decade ago

looks fine in my opinion

1 decade ago

How much are you intending to pay for this?

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by BoxcutterVillain.