Heyo!

I'm just curious. I don't understand about building pc at all and I wanted to ask you about it. If I had $2000 which I don't, at least for now which parts do you suggest me as a complete build? (Including monitor, keyboard etc. everything.)

I'm just excited about new GPUs and wanted to take a look at builds. :3.

Show me your best builds!

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

I'd get a high intel cpu and a great nvidia graphic card, and lots of ram
you can do that with 500-1000 bucks

with the rest of the money just get lots of games off bundle sites

7 years ago

with the rest of the money he could actually get a Freesync or Gsync 4k IPS monitor.

7 years ago

EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB for $1200 and rest 'standard' ;)

7 years ago

A really nice 2K/4K monitors at least above 500 bucks, I don't think money would be enough.

7 years ago

This site may help you come to a decision about what graphics card you'd like. It shows benchmarks, prices, etc. The 1080 is currently at the top. Also, if you'd like something that goes more into detail, there's Tom's Hardware.

7 years ago*

Happy Cake Day!

View attached image.
7 years ago

I double that! :)

7 years ago

So, 1080 has better performance/price than 1070? Interestig.

And no, I don't want to go into mode detail, thank you. :D.

7 years ago

Er, no. The highest-end NVidias always have the absolute worst price/performance ratio, but the 1080 currently is the strongest card on the market. But the current generation is still being introduced, so there will be more cards and a new Titan is coming to take the throne of processing power and single most batshit insane pricing.

7 years ago

You're welcome. Good luck coming to a decision. (:

7 years ago

I wouldn't touch a titan with a 20 feet long pole even if I had the money for it. Not when the 1080 is cheaper and just as effective. Hell I'd take a 1070 over a titan.

7 years ago

You're right. I think 1070 is good enough.

7 years ago

The Titan X is overrated. There are much better cards... for far cheaper.

7 years ago

Happy Cake Day :)

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

No speakers or headsets? :P.

I would like others being more specific though.

7 years ago*

purchases i386/33mhz desktop from 1984 and wonders why their is not a pcie port for it

lol nah, pretty much this ^ , only you forgot PSU.. =)

7 years ago

386s came out in 1985 and didn't hit a blazing 33 MHz until a bit later.

Get off my lawn!

7 years ago

at least you got the joke, i didnt know off the top of my head, nor figure the actual year mattered (though i was really close for just a guess)

7 years ago

It was actually a really good guess. :)

7 years ago

Here you go, my own and private wishlist of amazon XD

http://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/18CCRLHZX69DW

That build its actually 3200€ but im pretty sure a lot of those things can be found cheaper on USA, and maybe the monitor and GPU are a little bit expensive, but thats what i dream of... maybe someday...

7 years ago*

Looks like a nice build to me. But I'm not the expert here.

7 years ago

Really? 32 GB of RAM and i7 for gaming? Massive overkill.

7 years ago

32gb is not really overkill when games like mirrors edge catalyst recommends 16 gb, so if you wanna play that and have chrome on second monitor its worth it

7 years ago

Knowing how inflated those specs are it's safe to assume that it won't be needing 16GB. :)

7 years ago

all games have inflated specs ;) and if you dont believe me tell that to my old amd 4600 hd or my current build an i3 with an amd rx 480 running fallout 4 on ultra no stutter and 60 fps

7 years ago

Well yeah. That's what I'm saying. Inflated system requirements and badly optimized games are ruining the industry. I have an old-school non-gaming laptop that can still run games WAY OUT OF ITS LEAGUE (supposed system requirements that are fake obviously).

It's exactly what I was saying in the first place. 32GB of RAM is a massive overkill. And so is the i7 (because hyperthreading isn't really worth the price bump for gaming).

7 years ago

i bet my left nut that 16 GB won't be in the minimum spec before 2020.

7 years ago

because people play at minimum

7 years ago

I actually also work with rendering apps but i do it on my job computer, ive tried on my actual rig and it doesnt do it so bad but its quite old and im pretty sure that it could be faster :)

Actually i have a core 2 quad 8300 processor with 8 GB of RAM and a GTX 960, i can run all games decently enough but my old cpu its being my bottleneck right now (and the old 775 socket mobo to run it), so yeah im planning on an overkill so i can do the same that i did with my core 2 quad, use it for more than 8 years before changing it :P

7 years ago

How about any power supply ;)

7 years ago

Already have a good power supply, and i was planning of using it on that build... but maybe ill put one just in case :)

7 years ago

Why the ever-loving hell does everyone want an i7 now for gaming? This insanity started just before the Skylake hit, because in the 4th generation, the i5-4690K was the most popular processor, but now for some ungodly reason people want to waste over a hundred dollars on something they most likely won't and can't use (namely, Hyper-Threading).

7 years ago

Same explanation i said to the 32GB of RAM, i also do some rendering jobs on my computer, i do it on my job computer but id like to be able to work at home when i need it and i really cant with my actual rig...

But i actually dont have the money to do it, so every 6 months i do an upgrade on the wishlist and just keep dreaming :P

7 years ago

Ah, rendering. That is not only a perfectly good explanation, but it also elevates the i7 to a great choice. It can shave off insane times when you render something, opposed to an i5.

7 years ago

Refer to this link. Pick & match peripherals and the builds.
There's various builds to cater other budget range.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/build-of-the-month/

7 years ago

Just some things to consider when building your computer:
Your GPU is likely to be the biggest limiting factor when it comes to games. Getting a mid-range processor and a high-end GPU is probably a good idea.
You do not need a monster PSU. 500W should be more than enough, and might even be overkill, as long as you don't want a lot of flashing lights, multiple GPUs and all that expensive stuff.
The higher up you go in price, the worse price/performance ratio you'll get. Sure, that 1080 is really good, but it's not the best "value". Still, if you have the money for it, it's not a terrible idea to go for a higher end GPU. Going for something like a Titan is a bit silly though, unless you're swimming in money, or computer games is your only hobby/interest.
Just re-use the bits you can re-use from your old computer. If you don't need a new computer case, or there's been a big change since you bought your last one (like a new generation of USB ports), you can save a bit of money by just using what you already have.

7 years ago

Oh, that's why people always go for i5s instead of i7s.

7 years ago

Yeah. It's just a wiser way to spend your money. There might be some games where you'll notice a minor performance difference between a good i5 and a good i7, but generally speaking, the difference will be minor at best, and absolutely not worth the higher price. Heck, you could get away with having a high end processor from the pre iX days and a good graphics card for most modern games (though here you'll find some games that run better than other. Unreal engine games will be mostly fine, Cryengine games will be a bit worse. And Dwarf Fortress will mostly care about the single core performance of your computer and your high end graphics card will do very little to help)

Also, consider what parts you can easily upgrade. It might be worth getting 16 gb of RAM today and then, once games can take proper advantage of more ram, stick another 16 gb into your computer, rather than going for a full 32 GB right away.

7 years ago

Also, not to clutter up the previous message:

If you look at the current generation of consoles, you'll see that they have severely under-powered processors (something that developers hate...). This means that most multi-platform releases, and engines made for multi-platform releases, will be designed with this in mind, and they will try to put less strain on the processor.

Also, honestly, I would not really recommend spending $2000 on a computer, you'll be paying a lot for a modest increase in performance. $1200 will still get you a really strong computer. Going for the super high end monitor will probably not be worth it either.

7 years ago

So...about monitors...You wouldn't even go for a 2k/144 hz monitor? Like this?

7 years ago*

Questionable. Currently, there are very few games that supports 144 hz. The source engine games do, but most games can't go so high in terms of framerate (as they're designed for consoles, and unlocking the framerate can cause some rather wonky behavior). 4k is a bit more attractive. It might be worth just waiting a bit for prices to go down, and see what happens with future games before buying a new screen, as long as you don't mind your current screen. Currently I don't think it's worth it at least.

7 years ago

Just think this way; I don't have anything at all. No current monitor, hdd/ssds or even a case.

And I see that between that monitor and this one there are more than $200. Is this just because of hz? If it is, the different is really too much.

Also I've found this: 34 inch, curved, just $30 more.

7 years ago

Previous monitor have G-sync. NVidia technology which "adjust" monitor refresh rate to amount of FPS generated by GPU. Second don't have it, G-sync is licensed technology and monitors with it cost more than "normal" ones.

Edit: you have nice monitor reviews here

7 years ago

I see. I just watched a review of the first one and it doesn't look like a good monitor at all: bad color gamut, poor greyscale, weak luminance scatter map, a bit low color temperature, only one display port 1.2 so you don't and can't have HDMI and can't connect consoles. (I just tried to translate terms myself, I hope they're all good. :P.)

I didn't know all these and I really hate researching about these because it really takes time and you have to postpone your buying and it really bothers you and messes up in the head.

7 years ago*

You're right ;P

The only "good thing" abot this monitor is G-sync feature and high refresh rate.

And every disadvantage you mentioned is typical to screens based on TN. They have bad color gamut, grey blacks, worse viewing angles and so on. But also really low reaction time.

In comparison IPS ones have better colors, black is black, better angles. But their input lag is bigger. Tho I'd look for monitor on IPS, as I have Dell P2414H and I can't see any lag, ghosting and so on.

Quick comparison

Edit: And yeah, if you try to grasp all those nuances from scratch I'd take a lot of time. I think that's why people just go to shop and buy half-shitty pre-made PC, where they have "amazing 8*3,5 = 28 Ghz and GPU 2GB!" :D

Can't blame them tho, it's like wanting from me to know how spaceship is build and how it works.

7 years ago*

well, for now I'm huge in love with my current IPS monitor which has G-Sync technology. It's the Acer XB270HU 27" WQHD, 2560x1440 with G-SYNC I'm talking about and I guess I'm lucky as I don't have any problems with it (like backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc.)

7 years ago

Wow! It's an IPS with G-synch and 144hz and 4ms? Looks awesome to me.

7 years ago*

Indeed :) I have it for about a year now. I was thinking about going with the ROG Swift from ASUS but then I saw this beauty :)

7 years ago*

Congrats :D

It's so shitty, that you can buy monitor for quite a lot, and it will have one bad pixel. They will tell you "well it's normal and it's included in specification of screen that you can have 2 bad pixels or 6 subpixels and we don't have to give you new, fully functional monitor". Muahahah xD

7 years ago

true, that's quite scummy to do :(

7 years ago

If you go with G-sync, you'll need an Nvidia graphics card, as AMD cards don't support that. But if you're going with a 4K screen, you pretty much need to go with an Nvidia card, as currently AMD are aiming for the low/mid range, while Nvidia has the mid/high end.

Also, MSKOTOR mentions screen lag. You are unlikely to notice this, unless you're someone who's more or less a pro at gaming. Don't pay extra for a low latency screen, unless the difference in price is extremely minor.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago

Thanks. ^^.

7 years ago

That's why people USED to go for i5s, but nowadays for a completely unexplainable reason, the i7-6700K is the most popular gaming CPU, even if it was proven numerous times that it has zero advantage over the i5-6600K in gaming.

7 years ago

It makes more sense than the monster PSUs that people keep buying, at least with a better processor you are actually getting something better for your money, it's just that it's not better for gaming.
And I would not go so far as to say that the advantage is zero, there are some strategy games that tax your processor more heavily, while not really bothering your GPU much... but those are fringe cases. I would still absolutely not recommend an i7-6700K for someone who will mainly use their computer for gaming and using things like office and watching videos.

7 years ago

Well, sometimes you buy a ridiculous PSU because that is the entire range of available ones. I have an EVGA G2 Supernova 750W now for a setup that will always be single-GPU. On the plus side, I have a PSU now for about a decade, and one where I am yet to reach a load where it even turns on the fan. =) (And I have an AMD GPU in there, a 380X.)
But yeah, a 550 W one would have been more than enough, if that would have been sold around here.

7 years ago

An i5 2500k still smashes through games to this day. It would be safer to hunt for used i5 4xxx though as it will last you for the next five years easily.

7 years ago

It does - I had an i5-2500K until I upgraded a few months back - with the AMD 380 Dual X it played even the most demanding of games at 40fps @1080p.
It now sits under my desk in a new case, with everything except a monitor. I'm waiting for the kid next door to buy himself a new monitor then it's going to mysteriously land on his doorstep one morning. (The neighbours are having a tough time lately and the poor kid doesn't even have a computer for school).
You can build an entry level gaming system for under $800 these days, and that's with AU$ as the currency. I just built my new system for AU$1400 and it can handle pretty much everything with 60fps @1080p and even a few games with 45+fps @ higher resolutions - recently I tried Fallout 4 @4k - pleasantly surprised that is was playable.
For $2000 (I'm assuming USD here), you could build a 5 year futureproof system with all components and have a bit of change.

7 years ago

you should absolutely not need more then $1000 to get a gaming rig that can play EVERYTHING for the next 10 years. 2k is over kill and a waste

7 years ago

depends how they wants to play the games. i seriously doubt any $1000 rig will play hardly any VR games even 5years from now let alone 10years. even a $3000 rig will likely not play VR games or 8k games 10years from now.

though if they dont care about quality, size, or VR, then probably could get 5-6years out of a $1000 rig if done right.

7 years ago

like i paid $700 for my rig 5 years ago, and i still play everything 1080p at max settings like GTA 5 and witcher 3 and fallout 4, watchdogs. i havent had issues yet, but i would love to get a new CPU cooler since im still using stock and its starting to be so loud i cant sleep lol but my memory is bottlenecking me now days, 8gb today just doesnt cut it, i have to close all my browsers and stuff to play max settings if its a RAM heavy game. but once i go 16gb im sur ei could still get a good 4 more years out of my computer

7 years ago

i think you slightly misunderstood me, i totally agree with you.. however, if they want VR or 4K and want it too last for several years to come, and they can afford it, then $2000 machine will certainly outlast any $1000 machine.. i too do not care about 4k or vr, so im in the same boat as you in saying everything else is a waste.. but if they care about those things they will require far better hardware to last longer.

for instance your rig likely cannot do 4k or VR even on low settings currently, let alone for future games.

7 years ago

I'm curious about your rig now, 700$ seems really not much?

7 years ago

I spent all of last console gen with a sub 500€ rig (I re-used the case, monitor & HDDs from my previous machine). You really don't need to go overboard when building a computer

7 years ago

+1 I have an early K series i5 that is still going strong :) - just overclocked it a bit these days - only now am I looking at a new GPU - after a good few years of use - rather than a new cpu

7 years ago

hahaha
Everything at max settings at 1080p for 700$ 5 years ago?
At what fps? 25-30?

7 years ago

A few things:

• It depends on where you live (prices differ heavily)
  • OP said including monitor, keyboard, ...
  • You can build a decent PC for that price that can play most games, but they won't all run as well or on the highest settings
7 years ago

You can copy mine and change the GPU and monitor if you want

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KHkkvK

7 years ago

your build either needs a 1060 if your a fan boy or amd rx 480 for cheap but very good at dx 12 and Vulcan stuff

7 years ago

Why? that would be a waste of money.

7 years ago

there cheaper then the 970 for more performance

7 years ago

Not worth it

7 years ago

a cheaper card isnt wort it? if it has more performance? k

7 years ago

"Cheaper" If I was going to make a new pc, but let's say I sell my 970 for 200 bucks the 480 is still 240 euros here so yeah...

Not worth it

7 years ago

oh your got that bs deal ya then nvm in canada and us its cheaper. no where was it stated that you live there so theres that

7 years ago

Around the end of this year, AMD's new processors should be coming out which will probably include a huge price drop among competing Intel CPUs and those above them which would change this greatly.

From what I have read, they are saying the new AMD processors will be doing about double the performance of their FX-8350 or something close to it.

7 years ago

Hopefully this will be true, because that would actually put them slightly below the current Intels in terms of single-core performance. (AMD really fucked that up with Bulldozer.) Although if it really is true, they will destroy anything in multi-core operations. It'd be nice as they didn't have an office/work grade CPU in ages…

7 years ago

That is what they are advertised as.
Says it has a 40% IPC improvement over Excavtor alone, then combined that with the clock rate of it and all.
Says it will trade blows with the Intel I7 5960 Extreme Edition which is currently valued at about $1,000.

Hoping it matches what they claim, then have to wonder the price. If it matches, you can best bet Intel will have a huge price drop since they will have to compete for a change.

7 years ago*

I'm just building a 2000€ PC myself, right now the parts look like this:
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/d7F27h
The price should be about the same in $.
If you want great help, I'd recommend https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

7 years ago

Also consider on add ssd if you want to go really really fast :p

7 years ago

All you need to know is this... If you want:
Performance: This will be a bit cheap when u chose things
Graphic: U will waste money just for visuals
Both: $2000 more and giv me $5

7 years ago

Eh, this is not true. Good performance comes with good components. Getting a 1080 will give you better performance, but not really better graphics, than getting a 1060, for an example.

7 years ago

Here you go! It includes a mouse, a headset, a keyboard and ofcourse the PC! The PC itself is almost identical to mine except the case and I have a gtx 970.

7 years ago

That is a really good build.

7 years ago

Thank you!

7 years ago

It… actually is a good build. I'm somewhat sad when I see someone still using the obsolete 212 EVo, which has long been surpassed in its price range, but hey, you cannot have everything. ^^

7 years ago

Well it does the job, I only made this built in a few minutes, didn't do much research. You can change it to whatever you want ;p

7 years ago

Well, I kinda did. ^^ When I was building my current rig, everyone was talking about the 212 EVO, but it was suspiciously old to still be on top after all these years. As I found out, the Raijintek Themis surpassed it by being a little smaller (by 3 mm, which made it just compatible with mid-towers), a little cheaper (about 3 Euros here), and a little better (2-5 degrees cooler). And it was just one of the handful of coolers that are in the category.
It is a little thing, but all these little things combined saved me almost a 100 Euros in this 1050-Euro computer. =D

7 years ago

Yeah I see that one now, its 24 euro here, only 1 seller though. 212 EVO is 25 euro here. Ah well, if you save money with it it's nice, alot of people spend alot of money on the case though, mine was 60 euro it works well.

7 years ago

I have a Phantek Enthoo Pro, cost almost 100 Euros. Was worth it, it is immensely easy to work with (apart from screwing in the motherboards—the case is way too deep. :)

7 years ago

Well I just got a Cooler Master N300 (Closed), it's only 42 now I see, but it does the job well. Nothing to complain!

7 years ago

I want this! ;_;.

But I think the monitor is not IPS.

7 years ago

Only choice a monitor that was 1080p, 24' and did 144hz, you can change it to whatever you want ;)

7 years ago

Now I want this.

xD.

7 years ago

Well, I won't go for a 1440p monitor, I'll skip it and go straight to 4k. 32 GB of ram is just a waste, expect if you're going to edit videos etc. Case is good, but I don't really want to spend too much on a case. The cooler is also different then mine but it isn't really needed that much. No HDD either, I personally wouldn't go with only an SSD, Especially a 500gb one. That build also doesn't include a mouse, keyboard and headset either, if you remove that and change the monitor it's almost the same anyways.

7 years ago

View attached image.
7 years ago

Not bad, not bad at all!

7 years ago

I knew it - I knew they had these already - damn them for keeping these from us....

7 years ago

That's better than most advice people have given on this thread.

7 years ago

But, does it run minecraft?

7 years ago

.Intel Core i7-6700K (4.0 GHz)
.Asus Z170-P D3 (DDR3)
.DDR3L HyperX Fury Black, 2 x 8 Go, 1866 MHz, CAS 11
.Corsair H115i Hydro Series
.Cooler Master High Performance, 3 g (optional)
.MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 8 Go
.Sandisk Ultra II, 120 Go, SATA III
.Asus PCE-AC56 (WifiCard so Optional)
.Asus Xonar DGX
.Phanteks Enthoo Pro, Titanium Green
.Be Quiet ! Straight Power 10 CM, 700W

That wiil be a Good PC For 2000€ not $ so 2227$ I'm sorry :/ i did it for myself 2000€ PC But you can find less price on Amazon or other site (it was on a french site) Hope you find something good ^^

7 years ago*

Why DDR3 on DDR4 proccessor/chipset?

7 years ago

Because it's works and for the price

7 years ago

Not worth it imo, if you're going to get a upgrade later you're gonna want ddr4 anyways, those few euros you're going to safe aren't worth it.

7 years ago

It's because it was 3 years ago so i didn't mean anytinhg if it dont change a lot of thing. But yes now it's better to buy DDR4, it was just what i bought 3 years ago

7 years ago

Ah I though you built this now, nevermind then ;p

7 years ago

I'm not very great in English so it's possible i used something who's mean 'now' ^^

7 years ago

Ah okay.

7 years ago

That's like putting a 85-octane gasoline into a Ferrari. It works, yes, but far from what the manufacturer originally intended.

7 years ago

i7-6700K - waste of money for gaming, an i5 6400 would do, i5 6600K at the very maximum
Z170-P D3 - for 2000€, having a motherboard with no DDR4 support for the future is ridiculous
120 GB Sandisk Ultra II - at least double that, 120 GB can't fit much more than the OS + GTA V. The ideal for a 2000€ budget would be 500 GB SSD + 1TB HDD (that you forgot)
Xonar DGX - most users won't notice the different between that and the stock sound card

7 years ago

My PC isn't only for gaming i put my PC to gives idea

7 years ago

And for the 120GB i know i had a 2TB so i don't wanted more than a simple ssd (again cause i'm not only a gamer)

7 years ago

You really don't need a dedicated sound card for gaming, and water cooling for the GPU is a luxury that's really not needed for a single card. For $2k you could do a lot better than a 120 GB SSD with no HDD for storage, or DDR3 RAM. But I'm in the U.S., so prices might be different where you are.

7 years ago

My PC isn't only for gaming i put my PC to gives idea

7 years ago

Do you even build?

7 years ago

Wtf

7 years ago

Your listed build is weird and incomplete. It's like if in Weird Science they had forgotten to give Kelly LeBrock knees.

7 years ago

I would have to ask; Which one of my builds? :) Usually a computer is best serving being purpose-built.

• If you plan on long-term ability to expand the computer, consider the choice of motherboard. Go for the motherboard that fits the most recent CPU socket and the highest RAM-speeds currently available on the market. Then, rather skimp on what you put on it, to begin with.

Ask yourself these questions first

• What are you going to use if for?
  • What does it take to accomplish those tasks?
  • How long do you intend for it to serve that purpose, without you having to simply upgrade it, or having to completely rebuilt it?
  • Are you willing to put in something that would bottle-neck the whole machine, just to put more money into one specific component?
  • Are you sure you will not be "shooting sparrows with a cannon" with your choices?
  • Are you sure you are not building a sparrow, that looks like a cannon, with your choices?

Buying a *flashy, "high-end", extra zpiffy, limited-extreme-edition, hyped, neon-glowing, black PCB, with artistic shiny copper heat-tubing on bridges, and all kinds of cool glow-in-the-dark colors on the plastic PCI-E slots, six months before a new CPU socket suddenly appears; It's not nice.

7 years ago*

Really good points. Will consider these if I intend to buy it. Actually maybe there are other several questions which I even couldn't think of because of ignorance, like motherboard one in here.

7 years ago

Maybe you could consider something from gold?)

7 years ago

Would like to ask if you intend to use the PC for VR too. Also would like to know if for the build would be ok if the pieces' sum would be $2000 with the usual discounted price of those parts or should it be $2000 with the current prices?

7 years ago

Not now but maybe in the future. Also priceshould be available for buying, so discounted ones will do good.

7 years ago

нахуя ?

7 years ago

I don't understand about building pc at all and I wanted to ask you about it.

I bet it means you won't overclock your CPU and GPU? That way buying i5K or i7K processor is pointless. Unless you will invest some time and learn how to safely OC your RIG.

Link

Video card - 1070 or 1080 depending how much you want to spent. 1080 is able to keep stable 60 FPS on ultra in 2K, 1070 is not. But unless you won't play in more than FHD both will be equally good. So you can buy 1070 and save some bucks.

Case is really based on your preference - do you want simple and minimalistic designs, or fancy transformer-like with tons of LEDs.

You don't need lan card, it's already on the motherboard. But if you want you could buy sound card if you fancy listening tu music and don't want to be stuck with on-board module.

Keyboard - again preferences. You want mechanical keyboard (which is annoying as hell typewriter xD, just listen to this ) or normal one. If normal - low or high profile.

Mouse - do you have palm, claw or fingergrip? It's important, as otherwise you'd be stuck with mouse which won't "lay comfortable" in your hand.

Dunno about headphones / speakers. I prefer headphones, as I don't want to annoy people around me.

7 years ago*

Yeah, you're right about overclock. I would just want to use my computer. xD.

Also, you say 1070. What about 1060? Some people mentioned about it as it would be good for FHD gaming.

I would prefer simple cases, don't like LEDs, also silent keyboards. And I have a mouse actually which I love it, Roccat Kone Pure Military. Also have G930 for headphones but don't like it yet.

7 years ago

If you want to spend two grand on a gaming PC, you are not likely to buy a mid-range GPU. If you really want to blow that much money, don't even think in a GPU under 500 bucks.

7 years ago

1070 is about $420-450 range? xD.

Okay, let's say I will play FHD. Isn't buying a 1080 still a good investment for the future?

7 years ago*

Yes and no. NVidia is obviously struggling even with this series with Vulkan and DX12. Not just compared to AMD, but in general. The 1000 series looks like just a great step up in DirectX 11 gaming, but if Vulkan is really as good as they say (and so far it seems so), then the only way to prevent developers from using it is to continue bribing them to use NVidia's toolset instead. So far only Epic jumped on that ship, because they have been in close partnership for almost a decade and a half now, but right now we cannot tell if Unreal Engine 4 will dominate the entire scene again, or some other engine—more focused on Vulkan—will take its place.

7 years ago

1060 is weaker than the 1070. You get better performance to $ with the 1060, but if you want to spend a bit on your computer, this is where you should spend your money, as a better graphics card will be the thing that will get you the most noticeable improvement. If you have the money for it, it might even be worth getting a 1080, but now it's getting really expensive.

7 years ago

Yeah, it looks like it doubles the price of 1070.

7 years ago

Yeah, it's not really worth it, but if you have the money to spend, that's where you should spend your money, but I would not really recommend going that high unless you feel that you have money to burn.

7 years ago

As Fnord said. 1060 is cheap option for now-gaming, 1070 is cool option for few next years, 1080 is "oh mi gosh" option with "omg dat price" drawback :D

7 years ago

Wait for AMD Vega cards. Don't just go for nVidia regardless anything. AMD cards have way better support for DX12, Vulkan and driver support in general. Last 4 generations of AMD cards (from hd7700/900) are still supported with the same drivers like the last generation. Meanwhile the second last nVidia generation going to legacy.

7 years ago

dont forget 144hz monitor instead of 60 hz

7 years ago

Focus on three things:

1. GPU: For gaming, the GPU will be the thing that will do the biggest share of the work in rendering your 4K Bad Rats. Get something good, but do your research before purchasing - look for something worth its price, unless you're willing to overpay and have the best.
  2. CPU: CPU is GPU's brother, without one the other won't work. The CPU makes sure that the graphics load up for the GPU to render Bad Rats.
  3. RAM: The RAM is storing the information required for the Rats to move. Or something. Without enough, everything comes crashing down. I suggest going for 16GB, 8GB if you can't. The more the better, but don't overkill. You probably won't ever need 32GB for gaming.

Once you have this covered, you'll also need:

1. PSU: Your power supply is extremely important to power your rig, especially the GPU because those things need lots of power. Get something rated gold - never regret not doing so when your entire rig fried due to a bad PSU.
  2. CPU cooling: Your CPU will get hot. Really hot. Make sure you have the proper setup to keep it running at a cool temperature.
  3. MOBO: Your motherboard is what connects all that shit together. Among other things, make sure it supports your CPU chipset and has the PCI slot required for your GPU.

If you already have a really crappy PC you can't salvage for parts and/or you have more money to spend:

1. Airflow/Case: If you can, you should really get a full-size case with cooling fans. Go for watercooling if you're rich and want to show it.
  2. SSD: Get yourself a fucking nice solid state drive. Fast and reliable, although expensive. It isn't required, a HDD does the trick, but if you can, go for the best and grab a SSD.

As for the hardware side of things, that's really up to you. It won't affect your performance graphics-wise (unless maybe the monitor) so it isn't really necessary to get extremely expensive stuff. I've been gaming on generic "factory" keyboard, earbuds, and mouse for years (and dual monitors I grabbed from yard sales and shit). I only recently switched to a "gaming" mouse (some cheap brand though because I can't afford it) and it's really useful for playing MMORPGs or even other games.

The better hardware you can get, the better you'll game - but just keep in mind that your rig has top priority.

PS: This whole comment is posted by someone who never owned a "real" gaming PC, only recently upgraded from HD6450 to R9 380x. I just happen to know a bit about what is needed in a computer, but I probably don't know a fraction as much as some other forum users. So yeah.

7 years ago

Thanks for explaining these. <3.

7 years ago

Six months ago:

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0 GHz Skylake, not overclocked
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4996-KR 6GB FTW GAMING w/ACX 2.0+
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2400 F4-2400C15Q-32GRK (OC to 2800)
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Motherboard with F5 firmware
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD primary drive
HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM secondary
EVGA 220-P2-1000-XR 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 W PSU
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N Black Steel case
Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler

Today? The updated equivalents of the above.

7 years ago

GTX 1080 (or wait for the high-end AMDs for better Vulkan/DX12 support in the long run)
Intel Core i5-6600K
Raijintek Themis cooler, or if you want water-cooling, Corsair Hydro series
ASRock Z170 Extreme 4 or Extreme 6 (or Gaming K4 or Gaming K6, as they are the exact same boards with a different BIOS background)
Corsair 2800 MHz RAM, 4×8 GB
Samsung 951 Pro 500 GB M.2 SSD for system/demanding games
WD Blue 4 TB or (preferably) HGST Deskstar 4 TB for storage
EVGA P2 PSU, 750-1000W (T2 is… overkill)
Phanteks Enthoo Pro case + Akasa 140 mm fan cases (preferably at least 3 additional, or 1 in case of water-cooling)

As for display, an LG, ASUS, BenQ monitor at 2560×1440 resolution.
Or, if you buy two 1080s in SLI, then maybe one with 3840×2160, although I would always prefer 2-3 lower-resolution monitors over one giant-ass one.

7 years ago

Two 1080s in SLI? Then I couldn't afford the rest. :D.

Also, I'd like to have watercaling rather than fans for a quiet PC, yes.

7 years ago

You mean quieter. :) Water cooling is not exactly silent, just quieter than most air cooling solutions.

7 years ago

quieter and better. But if you aren't going to overclock it like there was no tomorrow you should go with air cooling. But water cooling is nice to have :P

7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago by cucooo.