4th Puzzlemania puzzle! Do not forget to join the group :)

30.06. UPD #1. Within the first day of the event, I received A LOT comments from many users who told me that it is possible to mate in 2 moves or there are multiple solutions for this problem. All those users were mistaken. There exists exactly one solution and there is NO mate in 2 moves. However, if you still think that the problem is not valid, feel free to comment here and contact me after that. But please check and double check your solution before doing this.

Hello, Steamgifters!

This is already the fourth Puzzlemania event! I hope you are as happy as I am :) If you missed my previous puzzles and do not have a clue what Puzzlemania is, you can check these threads: first, second, third.

The latest puzzle received mixed reviews: some people enjoyed it, others however considered it to be very vague and difficult. Lessons learned, this time the puzzle will be very straightforward. It does not mean that it will be easy, most probably not, at least for the majority of people. However, the rules will be very transparent, you will not need to guess what I was thinking about when creating this puzzle. I hope it sounds a bit motivating.

Now, towards some bad thing happened during my last puzzle. Good steamgifters and I found together three different forums where bad steamgifters asked for help with solving my puzzle. I would like to remind you that this is not acceptable and SG rules forbid this. This is an individual puzzle, so please try solving it alone. Probably people tried to cheat because I gave away Witcher 3 gift, which is a very popular AAA game. So, this time there will not be such an expensive giveaway. However, the total amount of giveaways will be 26, which is also quite nice, right?

I am also not sure if people like my puzzles at all or the only reason why they solve them is to gain access to giveaways. To investigate this issue, I attached the poll to this topic. This is a serious question for me, so there is no a potato option in the poll, sorry for that guys. It is not a 'please-praise-me' poll. If I find out that the people here do not like my puzzle, I can stop creating them and just give away the games without any efforts for both sides.

Congratulations to everybody who read my bullshit up to this point because from here the description of this puzzle officially begins! This puzzle is about the good old game of chess. Sounds boring? Do not worry, we will add an exciting rule to this game! :) Basically, try to imagine that the board is looped. To better understand it, let's take a look at the diagram attached. In normal chess white knight would only have two possible moves: Nb3 and Nc2. However, we looped the board, so now, for example such moves as Ng2 or Nh7 are also possible. By looping the board I mean that 1st horizontal is now connected to 8th one, and the A vertical is connected to H one. When you got the whole point, here is the problem: white to mate in 3 moves. Find them! The answer should contain only three white moves without numbers or spaces. Also, if you eat something or check the king, ignore the signs. So, insted of writing N:b3 or Bd4+, just write Nb3 and Bd4 accordingly. The example of the answer, so you can understand the format: Nb3Bg7Kf5. So, in this notation King = K, Bishop = B, Knight = N.

I consider this chess problem to be quite a difficult one, however almost for sure I will not prrovide any hints because it does not make sense for chess problems. You will have two weeks to find the solution yourselves. The puzzle will end on Wednesday, 13th of July. The fastest solvers will be whitelisted by me.

Please believe me that you will very satisfied and will be very proud of yourself when you solve this puzzle. So, do not leave too fast and give it a try! :)

Good luck and have fun!

The list of the giveaways (points needed to enter everything: 400):

• A Story About My Uncle
  • Abyss Odyssey (2 Copies)
  • Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche
  • BioShockโ„ข (2 Copies)
  • Blackguards
  • Broken Age
  • Contagion (3 Copies)
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Foul Play
  • Hack 'n' Slash
  • I am Bread
  • Metro: Last Light (3 Copies)
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition
  • Lumino City
  • PAYDAY 2
  • Remember Me
  • Steredenn
  • The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (2 Copies)
  • War of the Vikings

Hall of Fame

The following early solvers have been whitelisted! Congratulations!

• Yukulele53

• Eohor

• Henryblah

• sumyy

• ValyrianSteel

• Nordhbane

• CalculonJones

• Caeler

• dead1ne

The solution

The solution briefly:

1. Bh8+ Ka5
  2. Nh3+ Ka4
  3. Be8x

So, the answer is: Bh8Nh3Be8.

The solution explained:

1. See diagram 2. After you check the king with Bh8, the only possible move is Ka5: square b7 is controlled by the knight, c6 by the bishop and the other bishop controlls the full diagonal a7-g1 due to the looping.
  2. See diagram 3. White moved the knight to h3 and checked the king. Now, its only possible move is Ka4 (b6 is controlled by the bishop and b4 by the knight). Many players claimed that it is a mate already, but apparantly it is not true. Square a4 was controlled by the white bishop but the knight was just moved to h3 blocking the bishop.
  3. See diagram 4. Be8 mates the king. The king cannot break the knight because it is still defended by the bishop.

Conclusions

Thank you all who participated in this event! The poll results clearly indicates that the majority (76 out of 114 votes, more than two thirds) likes my puzzles, so I will not give up creating them! I do not know yet when I will be able to make the next Puzzlemania event, I hope it will be before September. I already have some ideas, but they are still too vague.

As I promised, I did not provide hints during this event and still we have 48 solvers out of 159 players, which is more than 30%. Therefore, I consider this puzzle was too easy for steamgifters, so brace yourselves, the difficulty of the next event will be higher.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Should I continue making puzzles?

View Results
Yes
No

Took a little while but finally got it :) Haven't done a lot of puzzles here but I enjoyed this one.

7 years ago

I am glad you did it! Enjoy!

7 years ago

Bump for solved!

7 years ago

Congrats!

7 years ago

Yay, solved it :)

7 years ago

Good job!

7 years ago

I've been at this for over 6 hours and I'm still stumped. I don't want to give up but geez I am having hardcore trouble with this.

7 years ago

Have some rest and then return to the puzzle, it often helps. I am sure you can solve it eventually.

7 years ago

I've been at it for 3 hours or so. Tried so many possibilities, but that king is a better escape artist than Houdini :/

View attached image.
7 years ago

What I'm doing right now is literally using overlapped drawings in photoshop that map every single possible move that each piece can make, and I feel like I'm going crazy because I can force one move on black and seemingly put black into checkmate in two turns. I know the giveaway creator said it's three, and obviously people have found 3 turn solutions, but I seriously don't know what I'm doing wrong.

If you want I can add you on steam and show you what I've been trying to do over chat, I'd rather avoid doing so in public chat so I don't inadvertently give out a solution to everyone x____x

Edit: I just realized I didn't have checkmate after all, one of my pieces was being blocked by another preventing me from actually putting the King in checkmate >_<

7 years ago*

I think I'm going to have to do something similar to your overlapping since I simple don't see the move(s) I'm missing to solve it. So far I can fake checkmate him in two moves (one of the pieces is in the way) and I can stop the king from making any moves in two moves (but I lose my knight) or in three moves (and not lose anything), great succes :p I hope no one gives any hints, I want to solve it myself. At least I have 13 more days to try and solve it and otherwise hopefully get the answer when the GA's end :p

7 years ago

Not a hint, but I'll say that the solution is kind of a "oh, DUH" kind of thing. Based on what you're saying, I'd say you're right there though.

7 years ago

Bump for solved and had fun. It's been many a year since I've played chess (and never loop chess!).

7 years ago

Congrats! It is a good thing that you did not forget how to play :)

7 years ago

I suck so bad at chess >.< I'll keep trying but with really little hope for actually solving the puzzle :S
Have a bump anyway!

7 years ago

You have enough time to master the looped chess :)

7 years ago

I googled "chess rules" and an hour later I'm having the first two moves,the 3rd check in painful ;_;

7 years ago

You almost solved this one just an hour later after reading the chess rules for the first time? Jesus, you are a talent!

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

7 years ago

I am glad you enjoyed it! Now, good like with giveaways :)

7 years ago

Hi, I love this kind of puzzles!
Can I ask you a question?

When you say "white has to move 3 times" it means I should also count 2 moves coming from black pieces or just 3 moves in a row from white?

Thank you!

7 years ago

Except for the looping part, this is normal chess. So, black moves as well!

7 years ago

Ok, thanks!! I'll keep trying^^

7 years ago

Bump for solved at last! Thank you!

7 years ago

You're welcome! Good job!

7 years ago

Worked through and understand the puzzle (yes yes with black moving). Found ~4-5 separate check combinations that went for 2 moves, cant find a 3rd move that mates black </3 Excellent puzzle, going to take a break and mull it over a bit. Bump for hopefully solved later today

7 years ago

I believe in you :)

7 years ago

"White to mate in 3."
Just mate or check mate?

Edit: oh, mating has to be in 2 moves and not less nor more.

7 years ago

I'm stuck with 2-moves-mate as well, it has to be something we're forgetting.

7 years ago

Mate in 2 moves is not possible, check your solution carefully!

7 years ago

"Just mate or check mate?"
What is the difference in your opiniion? :) Mate in 2 moves is not possible there.

7 years ago

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this ... but isn't mate where the king has to move or he would die next round ... and check mate is where the king is going to die next round no matter what?

7 years ago

Thanks ... I was thinking of check and checkmate...
Back to my pen and paper :D

7 years ago

Nice that we figured it out. Good luck!

7 years ago

I've got the first move down 100%, it's just deciding where the 2nd move is going to end this pain. :D

7 years ago

And then the third one. Yes, this is what all chess problems are about :))

7 years ago

I'm stuck on one thing only, can I add you to ask one simple question? (don't want the answer, just a slight tip).

7 years ago

If black move down, could not even kill it... can I promote my pawn? :X (Am i needed to move of each piece?)

7 years ago

Not sure what you mean, but don't give up trying!

7 years ago

What i mean is every move must be a check?

7 years ago

I cannot answer this question because it would be quite a big hint. You will need to figure out it by yourself.

7 years ago

The thing is, if you don't check, then black will get a free move which would most likely break everything... but so far I've been unable to find any consistent check where black doesn't get a free choice to react anyway. I'm sure the looping board is playing tricks on me :(

7 years ago

There are a lot of chess problems where you do not check the king, but the threat of mate is still inevitable. So, it is not 100% that every move should give a check.

7 years ago

Im nt sure if im wrong but I solve it with 2 move :o ( can i add u to tell the move?)

7 years ago

I added you but u did not accept :S

7 years ago

I did accept and even wrote some messages to you... Weird..

7 years ago

Just received and ty for the correction :)

7 years ago

Just to make sure that I've understood the loop principle correctly:
Is Nc8 a valid first move?

7 years ago

Yes, it is a valid move.

7 years ago

Bump for solved! ^_^
I like chess and this loop mod is nice...thx

7 years ago

Congratulations!

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago

Make sure your aren't being blocked by your own pieces - I made that same error earlier.

7 years ago

Do we always have to force black through only one move ? Or can we give them 2+ choices and just assume they'll take the one we want ? And can we assume they'll take any other piece if possible as long as there's no direct danger ?

7 years ago

The solution must not depend on black's moves. As long as this statement holds, black may do whatever they want. But of course they will not hurt themselves, their moves will be the best possible.

7 years ago

I FINALLY DID IT OH MY GOD.

7 years ago

I am now sure that I need to continue making puzzles to arise this kind of emotions :)

7 years ago

Not going to lie, the past half hour of my guessing actually involved me making a typo in the solution box mixing me up. I was about to ask if I can message you about my solution before I realized I was making the typo. xP

Excellent job man!!

7 years ago

Seems fun and challenging. You shouldn't give up on puzzles. Plenty people appreciate them. I don't think I could manage to solve it as I was never very good at Chess, but maybe. I might forget valid rules on how a piece can move, but I think I remember them all.

7 years ago

Many people here do not have much experience in chess, however they managed to solve this puzzle. I am sure you also can do it, dont give up easily!

7 years ago

I've invested several hours into finding a solution so far and I have discovered one but it is not being accepted as the answer (meaning there is a specific solution i'm not seeing??)

In my "solution" :
-mate is reached in 3
-the board is treated as looped on all edges
-all assumed moves for black are extremely reasonable (maybe not best?? but "best" seems to be relative in this sense...)

Any chance I can get some insight into why my solution is invalid? Thanks :D

EDIT: just double and triple checked my solution and there are no mistakes on my part unless I'm misunderstanding exactly what you want us to find :/

7 years ago

I think the best I could help you out without giving anything away is that you shouldn't "assume" black's moves.

7 years ago

But that doesn't mean my solution is invalid, perhaps I found an alternate solution not intended to be discovered?

7 years ago

I was in the camp of multiple solutions for a while, and after I solved it was when I realized there was definitely only one solution possible.

Another thing that may help is making sure that your piece's paths aren't being blocked off by another piece. I thought I had checkmate in 2 moves for a good hour until I realized one of my pieces was being blocked.

Edit: If you want, you can add me on steam to discuss this further. I won't give you the answer, but I can help verify if you're making legal moves that are working like you want them to without potentially spoiling the rest of the chat here.

7 years ago

Ok it turns out that I was forgetting a specific facet of the expression that people not super-familiar with chess might not know about. Should have the solution soon.

7 years ago

:D

7 years ago

Really enjoyed the puzzle. Thanks! As for whether it's just for the giveaways, not at all. I spent a long while thinking about the puzzle, and solved before even looking at what games there was.

7 years ago

Thnaks for the sharing your opinion and congratulations with solving!

7 years ago

Alright I have a solution that checkmates the king in 3 moves, where black only has one possible move each time, but it still says I'm wrong. Can I add you to discuss?

7 years ago

If you double checked your solution, then sure, add me!

7 years ago

So close QQ

7 years ago

Urg, finally I did it :p That was challenging, I'm glad I finally got it :D Thank you.

View attached image.
View attached image.
7 years ago*

Congrats!

7 years ago

Solved Bamf

7 years ago

Congrats!

7 years ago

Added, I think I'm pretty close, so maybe you could tell me what I'm doing wrong

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.