4th Puzzlemania puzzle! Do not forget to join the group :)

30.06. UPD #1. Within the first day of the event, I received A LOT comments from many users who told me that it is possible to mate in 2 moves or there are multiple solutions for this problem. All those users were mistaken. There exists exactly one solution and there is NO mate in 2 moves. However, if you still think that the problem is not valid, feel free to comment here and contact me after that. But please check and double check your solution before doing this.

Hello, Steamgifters!

This is already the fourth Puzzlemania event! I hope you are as happy as I am :) If you missed my previous puzzles and do not have a clue what Puzzlemania is, you can check these threads: first, second, third.

The latest puzzle received mixed reviews: some people enjoyed it, others however considered it to be very vague and difficult. Lessons learned, this time the puzzle will be very straightforward. It does not mean that it will be easy, most probably not, at least for the majority of people. However, the rules will be very transparent, you will not need to guess what I was thinking about when creating this puzzle. I hope it sounds a bit motivating.

Now, towards some bad thing happened during my last puzzle. Good steamgifters and I found together three different forums where bad steamgifters asked for help with solving my puzzle. I would like to remind you that this is not acceptable and SG rules forbid this. This is an individual puzzle, so please try solving it alone. Probably people tried to cheat because I gave away Witcher 3 gift, which is a very popular AAA game. So, this time there will not be such an expensive giveaway. However, the total amount of giveaways will be 26, which is also quite nice, right?

I am also not sure if people like my puzzles at all or the only reason why they solve them is to gain access to giveaways. To investigate this issue, I attached the poll to this topic. This is a serious question for me, so there is no a potato option in the poll, sorry for that guys. It is not a 'please-praise-me' poll. If I find out that the people here do not like my puzzle, I can stop creating them and just give away the games without any efforts for both sides.

Congratulations to everybody who read my bullshit up to this point because from here the description of this puzzle officially begins! This puzzle is about the good old game of chess. Sounds boring? Do not worry, we will add an exciting rule to this game! :) Basically, try to imagine that the board is looped. To better understand it, let's take a look at the diagram attached. In normal chess white knight would only have two possible moves: Nb3 and Nc2. However, we looped the board, so now, for example such moves as Ng2 or Nh7 are also possible. By looping the board I mean that 1st horizontal is now connected to 8th one, and the A vertical is connected to H one. When you got the whole point, here is the problem: white to mate in 3 moves. Find them! The answer should contain only three white moves without numbers or spaces. Also, if you eat something or check the king, ignore the signs. So, insted of writing N:b3 or Bd4+, just write Nb3 and Bd4 accordingly. The example of the answer, so you can understand the format: Nb3Bg7Kf5. So, in this notation King = K, Bishop = B, Knight = N.

I consider this chess problem to be quite a difficult one, however almost for sure I will not prrovide any hints because it does not make sense for chess problems. You will have two weeks to find the solution yourselves. The puzzle will end on Wednesday, 13th of July. The fastest solvers will be whitelisted by me.

Please believe me that you will very satisfied and will be very proud of yourself when you solve this puzzle. So, do not leave too fast and give it a try! :)

Good luck and have fun!

The list of the giveaways (points needed to enter everything: 400):

• A Story About My Uncle
  • Abyss Odyssey (2 Copies)
  • Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche
  • BioShock™ (2 Copies)
  • Blackguards
  • Broken Age
  • Contagion (3 Copies)
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Foul Play
  • Hack 'n' Slash
  • I am Bread
  • Metro: Last Light (3 Copies)
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition
  • Lumino City
  • PAYDAY 2
  • Remember Me
  • Steredenn
  • The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (2 Copies)
  • War of the Vikings

Hall of Fame

The following early solvers have been whitelisted! Congratulations!

• Yukulele53

• Eohor

• Henryblah

• sumyy

• ValyrianSteel

• Nordhbane

• CalculonJones

• Caeler

• dead1ne

The solution

The solution briefly:

1. Bh8+ Ka5
  2. Nh3+ Ka4
  3. Be8x

So, the answer is: Bh8Nh3Be8.

The solution explained:

1. See diagram 2. After you check the king with Bh8, the only possible move is Ka5: square b7 is controlled by the knight, c6 by the bishop and the other bishop controlls the full diagonal a7-g1 due to the looping.
  2. See diagram 3. White moved the knight to h3 and checked the king. Now, its only possible move is Ka4 (b6 is controlled by the bishop and b4 by the knight). Many players claimed that it is a mate already, but apparantly it is not true. Square a4 was controlled by the white bishop but the knight was just moved to h3 blocking the bishop.
  3. See diagram 4. Be8 mates the king. The king cannot break the knight because it is still defended by the bishop.

Conclusions

Thank you all who participated in this event! The poll results clearly indicates that the majority (76 out of 114 votes, more than two thirds) likes my puzzles, so I will not give up creating them! I do not know yet when I will be able to make the next Puzzlemania event, I hope it will be before September. I already have some ideas, but they are still too vague.

As I promised, I did not provide hints during this event and still we have 48 solvers out of 159 players, which is more than 30%. Therefore, I consider this puzzle was too easy for steamgifters, so brace yourselves, the difficulty of the next event will be higher.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Should I continue making puzzles?

View Results
Yes
No

Oh, no...

7 years ago

Is it so bad?

7 years ago

I can't into chess.

7 years ago

Nooo!!! Not again!!!

7 years ago

Give it a try!

7 years ago

Lol.. Sorry, that 's just my initial reaction when I saw you are making another puzzle (almost to the level of seeing another Docam puzzle)..

Thanks for making new puzzle, I will definitely give it a try.. :3

On another note, I always enjoy different kind of puzzle, and your puzzle is one of them..
I admit I joined your previous puzzle firstly because of the gifts but I feel challenged with the difficulty level and really enjoy trying to solve that one..
I know it might sounds egoistic, but please continue making puzzle!!

7 years ago*

I somehow missed this comment. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I really appreciate that you enjoy both my puzzles and giveaways :)

7 years ago

I have no clue what does that question even mean lol :D

7 years ago

Since I learnt horses can't carry other figures I lost all my interest in chess.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Sorry I was afk, what was your question? :)

7 years ago

bump for solved

7 years ago

Wow, you are so fast! Congrats! I will message you when I actually create giveaways :)

7 years ago

Thanks it was easier than your last event but it was also an enjoyable one.

7 years ago

Many people were complaining about the difficulty last time. I was not strong enough and listened to them :) It will not happen next time!

7 years ago

complaining is for lazy boys who wants free GA! I prefer to break my teeth on a hard puzzle and feel rewarded to solve it and eventually win a GA as a bonus than a 8 pieces Jigidi that as no sense for a GA.

7 years ago

Exactly my thoughts. This however convinced me :)

7 years ago

I'm already convinced by one thing. I'll try to solve your next puzzles even if I have to crush my brain on them!

7 years ago

It is a pleasure to hear that, thanks :)

7 years ago

Find the giveaway links in the reward section at ITH. Enjoy!

7 years ago

Bump! I love chess :D.

7 years ago*

Good job! I will message you when I actually create giveaways :)

7 years ago

7 years ago

Well I 'solved' it kinda by trial and error and i'm having doubts as to whether the given solution really is correct. I'll check again after I eat dinner to see if i'm just being stupid :D

7 years ago

Update: I think I have possibly found errors/uncertainties in the given solution
I was being stupid :D

7 years ago*

I added you on steam to discuss it.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Hm, I think I found at least 4 different solutions, not counting permutations ot the moves. Despite I'm sure they are right, the website doesn't accept any of it and I don't know why...
Are permutations of the moves considered in the solutions / could you clarify the move order of the answer format please?

7 years ago

Add me on steam to discuss.

7 years ago

Oh, I didn't recognize that black does move too. My solutions were for only white moves and static black pieces. I will try again to find the solution.
Thanks for the cool puzzle by the way

7 years ago

Finaly got it! I have to admit it was quite hard, but also enjoyable.

7 years ago

I believe I found a solution but it is not working, if you don't mind I've added you to confirm.

7 years ago

Heheh~ Just noticed your title says "Fouth". You probably didn't intend to put that there (^w^)

7 years ago

I did not :)

7 years ago

Black never moves, but it's not mate if a black piece would be able to move and eliminate the threat. Is that correct? Never been into these sort of chess challenges, so not quite sure of the rules.

7 years ago

Black DO move, but you should not include their moves in the solution.

7 years ago

But how do you know where black moves? -Removed a bit now that I solved it.-

7 years ago*

If you continue thinking in this direction, you would find a small hint :)

7 years ago

I guess I can bump for solved then. :P Removed a bit of my text just in case.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Nice list of games, have a bump for me owning pretty much everything though. ^^

7 years ago

I tried to pick the best games to my taste I could afford for now. Too bad you did not get your piece of cake here. Next time probably!

7 years ago

Black is only in checkmate if he's in check and can't do anything about resolving it. If he's able to either move to another space or remove the piece putting him in check, he is not in checkmate. Just thought you'd want to know ;)

7 years ago

Perhaps you didn't read the "bump for solved" a few replies down from what you commented to. ;)

7 years ago

Nah, I saw, you're like a puzzle god. I was just trying to teach you about chess (if you were interested), or perhaps I used your comment as an excuse to take a break from this infuriating puzzle :p

7 years ago

Yeah, I know basic chess rules, but I've never solved these kind of chess problems, even if I've seen them. Just needed some clarification on opponent movements. :) Once that sunk in it wasn't too hard figuring out what needed to be done. :)

7 years ago

I'm unsure on how the looping would work diagonally so if you don't mind me asking is e8 for example connected to a4 or f1?

7 years ago

You are right, for example bishop on d7 can move to a4, b1, f1, etc.

7 years ago

Ok now that confused me even more... How can Bd7 travel in a straight line to b1? o.O

7 years ago

d7-c8-b1

7 years ago

But... that brings it in a completely new row? Shouldn't looping mean the path would be d7-c8-(f1-g2-h3-)a4-b5-c6?
the part in the bracket was the part I was unsure about before but now I'm unsure about everything lol

7 years ago

Imagine the board is physically rolled, maybe it will help to understand the looping.

7 years ago

Yeah, not seeing it, sorry. I'll try again after a good night's rest and see if I have any luck tomorrow :P

7 years ago

+1. I'd like clarification on how the looping works. Your explanation confused me because I can't see how Nh7 could be a possible move from the starting position.

7 years ago

Check my previous comment. h7 is reachable through a1-a8-a7-h7.

7 years ago

Finally figured it out. Bump for solved!

7 years ago

7 years ago

Bump for solved

7 years ago

You guys are all too fast. I expected I would have at least one day to create all the giveaways, but there are already 5 solvers. I started making simple puzzles, shame on me.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

He's not, Knight moves 2 squares in one direction and 1 in another. King is 3 squares away in one direction

7 years ago

It is not true. Black king would be checked if a white knight stays at a8. However, it is on a1. These two squares are not the same.

7 years ago

my bad. miscounted

7 years ago

Bump for solved. (Last move took me a lot longer than it probably should have.) Nice puzzle!

7 years ago

7 years ago

I thought I had it until you said that black moves. Rip potential. :D

7 years ago

Despite the fact that the board is looped, it is still chess. So, I thought it was obvious that black moves! :)

7 years ago

How will we know where black would move?

7 years ago

it's really obvious, just give it a go. :)

7 years ago

There is only one solution of this problem. If you think about it, you can easily asnwer your own question ;)

7 years ago

Well I found the first two now stuck on the last one.

7 years ago

Don't mind me, my tired part was talking. Still looking for the answer, but I feel I'm on the right tracks.

7 years ago

No worries, I can understand why you assumed that black never moves. Hope you will be able to find a solution soon :)

7 years ago

Still getting nowhere, screw it. I'll come back to it later. :D

7 years ago

Could it be that there are more possible solutions other than your(s)?

'cause, if those 3 moves I have to write in the solution are all white moves, I think I've found one.

EDIT: Or I'm just misinterpreting that looping thing..
EDIT 2 : I mean, is that looping the board "infinite"?

7 years ago*

nevermind, was a problem with the loop in the end. solved :)

7 years ago

I'm pretty sure I've found a valid solution, but the ITH doesn't accept it. May I add you on Steam?

7 years ago

Sure, add me.

7 years ago

I think I have to give up for now. I've been trying to solve it for over an hour and then I realized I have been entering K for knight instead of N. Tried it a bit longer after I realized that, but still can't solve it.

7 years ago

Okay, so there is some kind of a problem.
I just solved it in two steps?
How can I show you to check?

7 years ago

Checked mine after you wrote this and I think mine too is composed of only two steps..

7 years ago

Solved now. I just added a move (which I thought it wasn't needed) to my previous solution and it worked.. maybe it'll work for you too :)

7 years ago

Is there a dot in the answer format? If there isn't then there is some kind of special move that is required because I tried three others and it still didn't work :(

7 years ago

Sorry, I went to bed in the meantime.. glad to see you solved it anyway :)

7 years ago

I have 2 steps too (and the black king can't move after that).

Edit: Solved!

7 years ago*

I just solved it, as malabagaa said above, I just added a specific move that I don't think was necessary. If you think a little you might be able to get that specific move (even if it wasn't necessary

7 years ago

Every move is necessary there, dont confuse other players :)

7 years ago

I'm not 100% sure that me and shakeebthe1 were stuck on the same point (but most probably were).
If he didn't show you why we thought 3rd move was unnecessary yet, I can :)

7 years ago

I have added you. In 10 minutes I will be off to work, but probably it is enough time to discuss your issue.

7 years ago

Well, the third move was necessary. I was wrong.

7 years ago

Yup, there was an error on my part. ^^;
As I already said to ercalote, another proof that I shouldn't solve puzzles before going to bed (or whenever I'm sleepy) =P

View attached image.
7 years ago

Was it really necessary? Add me

7 years ago

Yup, it was.
Sorry, have to meet with a professor and I'm leaving in this very moment :\
I can tell you to check the new positions of the pieces you move. I didn't take those into account and seemed solvable in two moves. But actually it wasn't.
Hope I didn't say too much for those who still haven't solved it.
I'll be back in a couple of hours though, if you still have problem :)

7 years ago

It's alright I'm heading off to sleep right now I'll check with you later

7 years ago

Managed to understand the issue?

7 years ago

Not really

7 years ago

added you ;)

7 years ago

Well it turns out you were actually right! Awesome puzzle and really well thought-through!

Have a bump!

7 years ago

I found that too, but if a player can't make any legal moves (and he's not in check) the game would end in a draw, not a stalemate and he still has other pieces he can move :D

7 years ago

Thanks really liked that puzzle and great games too.

7 years ago

Impossible, even if I sacrifice pieces. Unless there some sort of magic move I've never heard about involving the pawn, I've exhausted all possible moves. I always get stuck at the last move :/

View attached image.
7 years ago*

View attached image.
7 years ago*

I'm currently attempting to solve this, and insofar as I can tell there has to be more than one solution, or rather a solution that isn't guaranteed, given the variability of black's moves... I must be missing something since it is readily apparent you can manipulate black's moves...

7 years ago

I just triple checked, and I have a solution that works in exactly three moves now, but it requires one specific move by black to be made, and I have no way to control for that.

Edit: Looking at the others' comments, I may be onto something with my current solution, I'll keep pursuing.

7 years ago*

Black will always respond in a logical manor either resolving being in check (which he has to do) or take a piece. He will never make a move that goes against him.

7 years ago

Yeah I tried to account for that, but my issue appears when there are multiple logical moves on black's behalf. In response to one of my moves, black has three logical moves it can make. If it makes one of those logical moves, I can always assure a checkmate in three turns.

7 years ago

You're definitely doing something wrong then. If you give black that much freedom his first move will be to take your knight and you don't seem to be able to checkmate the king without him (in three moves that is).

7 years ago

Hm... what I've been trying so far (unsuccessfully, of course) was intentionally letting black take my knight, since in my attempts to figure this out, it was the only first turn action on black's behalf I could guarantee.

Back to the drawing board!

Edit: Woooooow I missed a move that simplifies things significantly, but I can swear I have checkmate in two moves now.

7 years ago*

Many people told me that there exist more that one solution, however they all have been mistaken so far :)

7 years ago

Bump for solved. I believed you ercalote and I didn't give up. I'm very proud of myself.

7 years ago

You see, believing me is good :) Congrats!

7 years ago

Well damn, I'm far too tired for a weird modified "looped" chess board. My brain hurts.

7 years ago

Yeah, to hurt other's brains. I really hoped for that :)

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.