Today I bought new GTX 1060 and installed drivers before changing the previous graphic cards into this new one. After I changed the graphic cards to GTX 1060 I also realized I didn't have DVI-I anymore for the new card (DVI-I is older than DVI-D), so I found HDMI- cable and because my monitor accepts HDMI, I tried using it. I used DVI-I to VGA (with adapter) as my previous setup.

Problem is, when I go to settings about my screen resolution it only displays two options: 800x600 and 1024x768. Previously I had 1920x1200 and now with the new graphic card it's lower. I need to know is it because of my monitor or GPU or maybe something else? Also feel free to suggest how to fix this

My monitor is BENQ G2400W LCD Monitor and it's displayed as Common Non-PnP Monitor under the Device Manager.

• I've tried reinstalling drivers for GPU, but still same thing.
  • I've also tried DVI-D dual link cable with my monitor, same thing, couldn't change the resolution above the normal.
  • I've also restarted my computer in hope for changes multiple times but nothing.

Thanks for the help ^_^

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Same thing happened to me a while back and this may not work for you, but it did for me, so I think it's worth giving it a shot.
Turn off the PC, unplug both the monitor and power cord from your PC and let it stay like that for at the very least 30min-- then plug it all back and turn on the PC. Hopefully it works for you like it did for me (different graphics card, though).

Best of luck :)

7 years ago

I will try this. I've already tried 5 minutes unplugging, yet nothing. I think the problem might be in my monitor :(

7 years ago

Did you try a simple reboot. What was your previous card Nv or AMD. If it was AMD I would run display driver uninstaller and perform a clean driver install.

7 years ago

Previous GPUs were Nvidia GeForce 560Ti (SLI) from MSI, this one is from Asus. And yup, tried rebooting several times and tried switching all off and back on, nothing really helps. :/

7 years ago

What options do you have in the Nv control panel, you can change resolution options there.

7 years ago

Go to device manager and try to uninstall monitor driver an reboot.

7 years ago

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Download and run. Will reboot PC.
Run the GPU driver installer file. Reboot PC.
Should work normally after that.

7 years ago

You need to uninstall drivers from previous card. I recommend to use this tool. This tool will delete al graphic drivers from previous cards.

1. Download and decompress it
  2. Open the tool. Select safe mode, and press button reboot in safe mode.
  3. Delete all drivers and reboot pc.
  4. Download latest drivers from NVidia.
  5. Problem solved.

The tool is safe; you can search on internet.

Edit: talgaby beat me.

7 years ago

You'll hate me as much as I am hating myself right now for asking this, but: are you sure you didn't plug the monitor to the motherboard?

7 years ago

You can't get the screen from dedicated GFX through motherboard and integrated GFX is deactivated if the dedicated one is present.

7 years ago

not in all cases, though it's kinda the unlikely possibility since op said they tried a few different dvi types and hdmi.. i would think one of those several cable swaps they realized they were plugging it into the wrong slot. but adding dedicated gpu does not always disable onboard gpu (especially on more recent hardware, they like to use onboard for phsyx in some cases).

7 years ago

I had literally the same issue as that ...

You can go to the Nvidia control panel and create a custom resolution there .

Right click on desktop -> Nvidia control panel -> Display -> click on customize and crate a custom resolution .

Make sure you tick the Enable resolutions not exposed by the display

7 years ago

^^this, do this and create custom resolutions that you want :D

7 years ago

If you wanna clean install your drivers use Display Driver Uninstaller which jmif pointed out.

also check if W10 tries to download the wrong drivers...

7 years ago

1. Open Device Manager, uninstall (or update if you have its drivers) your "Common Non-PnP Monitor". I guess it has weird driver which is the problem.
  2. Refresh devices or reboot (if you can't see anthing).
    PS Oh, here is a guide for you which also suggest trying to update monitor driver to any generic flat panel with your resolution.
7 years ago*

Thanks all for your help and support.
Problem solved after 7 hours of trying to manage with 1024x768 resolution by buying a new monitor.

7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago by pavepode.