Like the title says, Nvidia looks to settle on that 3.5GB VRAM issue that brought on a bunch of lawsuits. The result of this settlement is the payment of $30 to each buyer of the card (Not sure if for each card or per person). In the end it seems like the lawyers got the better end of the deal with Nvidia paying $1.3m in attorneys' fees.

For more info:
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/340705-nvidia-settles-graphics-card-false-advertising-class-action/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/did-you-buy-a-gtx-970-nvidia-owes-you-30-if-you-li/1100-6442239/

Edit: For those who want to know how to get the $30:
We have to wait for the court to approve the settlement during the hearing on August 24. We'll have to see what happens from there and how Nvidia is going to handle it.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

What do you plan to do with that $30?

View Results
Buy food and pig out
Moar games!
Wishing I bought a GTX 970 so I can get $30
Invest in AMD
Put in wallet and save for a rainy day
30 Potatoes

Wait so I have the 970M, I don't get shit right? I think my card only has 2 GB VRAM though feelsbadman.jpg

7 years ago

There's a 970M 2GB version? I only saw and have a 3GB 970M.

7 years ago

Mine's 2GB Apparently, looks like I didn't do enough research before I bought my rig

7 years ago

I'll hold my excitement until I find out how Nvidia's gonna handle this in regards to cards made by its partners (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte etc.).

7 years ago

Yeah.. I didn't buy through nvidia, how are they issueing this refund?
Mine is MSI from best buy.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

This is bound to hurt them financially, but legally? Not so much...

Perhaps the settlement could lead to things happening elsewhere, but it’s important to note that one of the terms of the deal is that NVIDIA does not have to admit to any wrongdoing, and can continue to deny that it is guilty of false advertising, deceptive business practice and similar charges filed in the lawsuit. Of course, this is a settlement – and an expensive one at that – in order to avoid a full trial.

Source

7 years ago

That's pretty scummy.

7 years ago

One of the main reasons to settle out of court is that the court stops being involved. It's not scummy, it's literally just saying "Look, we'll pay you off, we don't want to deal with this." The lawyers were free to refuse the settlement offer and take it to court if they thought they would get more. They decided "even if we get a larger award from the judge, it won't be enough more to cover the costs of a full trial." Or in even less legal terminology, "This is the best deal we're going to get."

It's like if you sue someone for doing $500 in damage to your fence, and he offers to pay you the $500 right now to drop the case. Do you really want to take it to court, spending more of your own time and money, just to make sure it goes on his record? Or would you take the $500, call it even, and drop the legal battle?

7 years ago

I suppose,but this will definitely be in peoples minds when they buy from nvidia from now on.

7 years ago

It will be probably for purchases done before their full disclosure.
I'm glad someone did this. Sets the right example. They would have sold about the same number of cards anyway since 970 was an awesome product. Its the shenanigans that need to be discouraged.

7 years ago

You may want to add in the thread title that this is US only... so that those that aren't from the US don't come here and end up being disappointed.

7 years ago

^this, so I'll get nothing

7 years ago

So, they share a quarter of a card's profit as compensation? :)

7 years ago

Where i can get my money ?

7 years ago

Would I be eligible having a third party Nvidia 970 or it is limited to first-party owners?

7 years ago

"Anyone in the United States who purchased a GTX 970 may be eligible for a $30 payout from Nvidia, thanks to a proposed settlement in a class-action lawsuit"

Only for americans. :-/

7 years ago

Well, fuck.

7 years ago

this ^

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

I'd love to get those $30, but I don't really care. My 970 is still awesome :p

7 years ago

someone needs to sue nvidia in other countries.

No class actions or small claims in Finland, so that could be expensive heh. Probably not worth spending 100k€ or more for $30

7 years ago

Exactly, you are right.

7 years ago

I qualify, but how do I get my $30?

7 years ago

I would like to know too

7 years ago

They have to get the court to approve the settlement which happens during the hearing on August 24. We'll have to see what happens from there and how Nvidia is going to handle it.

7 years ago

I'd love to know where to go to actually get the 30 bucks.

7 years ago

Ha, only for the US. I wonder if AMD cares more for other countries, I doubt it.

7 years ago

They were only sued in the US. There's no international court where they can be sued and forced to pay everyone, you have to do it separately in each jurisdiction.

7 years ago

Which is pretty much impossible, considering the legal process varies depending on the country.

7 years ago

Yeah, it's impossible to have a binding international court without also having one global set of international laws and an international means of enforcement. Until we pull a Star Trek and form a unified world government that can agree on more than optional nonbinding resolutions, it's not happening.

It is, however, totally possible to bring your own lawsuit in whatever country you live in, assuming that false advertising is also illegal there. You can even start a class action if that's a thing that your local laws allow.

7 years ago

Just like every class action lawsuit, the only real winners are the lawyers.

7 years ago

The lawyers did all the work and took all the financial risk. Class action suits aren't meant to profit the class; they are there to allow an entire class of people to collectively put an end to behaviour that has a harmful effect on them, without the burden that such an action would normally entail. They're not there so you can win, they're there so you can stop losing. If you want to "win" then there are other options available to you; for example, if you wanted to force them to give you a refund then you should have taken it to small claims court.

7 years ago

You forgot to put "work" and "risk" in quotations.

7 years ago

The lawyers get a reasonable percentage of the cash, not $30 like everyone else. My accounting teacher in my senior year of high school told me how these lawyers got millions of dollars out of a suit with Wells Fargo but the victims (the customers of Wells Fargo) could only get ~$50.

This is a world about making money, rarely about changing something for the better - especially the case with lawyers.

7 years ago

US always lucky :x

7 years ago

Nvidia respect only american citizen and than whay European Union allow nvidia to sell graphic cards on his territory?
Because europeans are weak and their rights are violated of this company.

7 years ago

I have a GTX 980. Congrats to every (American) with 30 bucks in their pocket now though. :P

7 years ago

"Invest in AMD" I would rather set my PC on fire and through it out a window.

7 years ago

I bought it in the US but I live in Brazil. Can I get $30

7 years ago

Yay 30 dollars

7 years ago

I researched the 970 and 980 before investing and I have no issues with the 970 what-so-ever; however, the advertisement discrepancy lawsuit isn't going to supply me with a free upgrade to a 980. The only real winner here is the attorneys and their fees.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.