Announcing The Steam Awards 2018 Nominees:

The Steam Community has spoken, and we are proud to announce the finalists for The Steam Awards 2018 -- but we still need your help choosing the winners!

Voting will open on December 20th, at the start of the 12th annual Steam Winter Sale. Vote in each of our 8 categories to share your top Steam games and developers from 2018 and obtain this year’s set of trading cards.

Voting closes January 3rd and winners will be announced early February 2019. Good luck to all of our nominees!

Nominees for Game of the Year
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
HITMAN™ 2
Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Nominees for VR Game of the Year
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
VRChat
Beat Saber
Fallout 4 VR
SUPERHOT VR

Nominees for Labor of Love
Dota 2
Grand Theft Auto V
No Man's Sky
Path of Exile
Stardew Valley

Nominees for Best Environment
The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt
Subnautica
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Far Cry 5
DARK SOULS™ III

**Nominees for Better with Friends
**Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege
PAYDAY 2
Dead by Daylight
Overcooked! 2

Nominees for Best Alternate History
Wolfeinstein II: The New Colossus
Assassin's Creed® Odyssey
Hearts of Iron IV
Sid Meier's Civilization® VI
Fallout 4

Nominees for Most Fun with a Machine
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Rocket League
NieR:Automata
Factorio
Space Engineers

Nominees for Best Developer
CD PROJEKT RED
Ubisoft
Bethesda
Rockstar Games
Digital Extremes Ltd.
Square Enix
Capcom
Paradox Interactive
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment
Klei

Notes on Best Developer category:
"Best Developer” proved to be a highly-contested category with a lot of close calls among the top nominees. As a result, we expanded the set of nominees to 10. In addition, we’ve excluded ourselves from this category. We appreciate the love you’ve shown us, but we want to honor the other awesome developers on Steam, so we have excluded Valve from the final tally.

Personally, it's quite close to what I expected, but I really would have liked to see Larian studios show up in the Best Devs category.
Sorry, I fucked up writing the first poll option.

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you generally agree with what was selected?

View Results
Yay. Some/most of my choices got through.or they seem meritorious enough. (+++)
Mostly yes, but I'm disapointed that some/many of my selections didn't survive the culling. (+)
I somewhat disagree with the choices selected. (-)
Nay. 'tis all a big sham! (---)
Default potato non committal answer... (0)

Damnit! My pick Super Space Pug didn't make the list for VR Game of the Year :\ I thought if I put all my eggs (bot votes) in one basket we could make it :(

Interestly Wolfeinstein II: The New Colossus did for Best Alternate History. I wonder what that tells us. I was going for the New Order but I guess the joke still works. Sarcasticly! Please don't crucify me.

5 years ago*

Wolfeinstein II

Now THERE is a game waiting to be made!

View attached image.
5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Mr Einstein clapping to MrWolf? :D

5 years ago

I think you might be on to something :D I mean his hair does give of a somewhat werewolfy vibe.

Although I think it would make a better movie than a game. Or maybe a TV show if we turn it into The adventures of young Wolfeinstein xD

5 years ago

I'd watch that. 😆

5 years ago

What do you mean Mr. Massagy didn't make it in the most fun with a machine category? Literally. Kinda...

5 years ago

From the Mr. Massagy Store page:

Q: Interesting... How do I play it?
A: During a date, you select the best flirting lines to conquer the girl you are dating.

View attached image.
5 years ago

I voted for Haydee in that section, for obvious reasons.

5 years ago

I have NO idea what that is, but I just wishlisted it ^_^

5 years ago

So many games from previous years in all categories.

5 years ago

Thats what always wondered me with the steam awards. Witcher 3 will seem to win anything for 10 years no. They should either limit the games that can be nominated by their release date or delete the year stam from the award's name.

5 years ago

I wonder if the same people that voted for Bethesda previously would do it again?

5 years ago

Couldn't disagree more with PUBG for the Game of the Year category and with GTA V as a Labor of Love. More like Labor of Greed!

5 years ago

Incidentally, those where the two I reacted to as well

Also, Bethesda as best developer kind of raised my eyebrow a bit

5 years ago

Yeah, Bethesda's been trying really hard to ruin their reputation lately O.o

5 years ago

More like Labor of Greed!

Why would anybody ever buy a shark card when it's so easy to farm money without lifting a finger doing gunrunning exports combined with biker businesses and maybe some vehicle exports?

I know apparently some people still do considering they've made a boatload of money selling R$ but it baffles me why.

Edit: On 2nd thought since the Labour or Love Award is about games that receive long time support you're technically right. Rockstar hasn't kept making new content for 5 years out of altruism (unlike potentially Terraria or Stardew Valley) but because the game is a cashcow. Still... 5 years of free content updates is nothing to easily dismiss.

5 years ago*

Not really free, most of the content was bought with shark points, wasn't it?
I'd call it free-ish if there wasn't a pervasive and permanent monetization scheme.

5 years ago

Well, free in the same sense that Mass Effect 3 MP updates were free. You can unlock the content though ingame progression or if you want instant gratification you can buy it with real money.

Also my original comment adresses how easy it is to make money without lifting a finger. If you're buying shark cards in GTA Online you're doing something wrong.

5 years ago

Just to clarify: There is no such thing as shark points.

Shark cards are just credit card themed microtransactions that give you Rockstar dollars. The same ingame currency you earn by playing the game.

Contrary to Read Dead Redemption Online GTA Online has only one currency.

5 years ago

Yeah, I misspoke.
To my understanding, if you look at how the costs to get the "DLC" kept going up and the time required to get them became prohibitively expensive without paying.

It's effectively the same as a F2P game that you have to pay to get in, and no one really thinks those are free.

5 years ago

Well, some update content is definitely overpriced compared to the advantages they offer, i.e. the Super Yachts or the flying DeLorean = Deluxo. (if you include the costs of all prerequisites / paywalls you need to have to take full advantage of the Deluxo).

But there are 2 mechanisms in place that counteract that to a certain degree:

• Most equipment is used in a mission (for example the flying DeLorean is from the Doomsday Heist Update). So if you play those missions first you can buy the equipment "used" with significiant savings up to 50%
  • The other mechanism is that GTA Online has events pretty much on a biweekly basis and there is a discount rotation in place with every event giving you discounts on different cars, planes or properties.

If you take advantage of those 2 things you can get a plane that would normally cost ~ 4 million for about 1,2 million.

The other thing is that GTA Updates are not just new vehicles and properties, they usually also add new game modes like Slasher, Sumo or The Vespucci Job to name just a few.

5 years ago*

Thought the exact same thing about GTAV. I'm sure some of the developers on it love what they do, maybe even some of the project leads, but Take-Two interactive is a very large publicly traded company that continues to pour resources into GTA5 because it keeps making them + their share holders lots of money.

5 years ago

Indeed. I just find it hard to see pretty much any AAA title as a "labor of love" nowadays, they don't even try to hide their lust for money anymore.

5 years ago

Several of the games I voted for are up there, so not extremely disappointed.

I was hoping to see Hollow Knight as a nominee for Game of the Year and Team Cherry as a nominee for Game Developer of the Year.

I would of liked to see Book of Demons and/or the dev studio Thing Trunk who created it in there as well.

5 years ago

These Awards are so stupid... First of all there are ppl who vote in categories they dont know the titles just because they want the badge and need to vote to get the full experience. Than the amount of votes count, so small titles/developer will never have a chance to be nominated even if they have better ratings (e.g. reviews). Its annoyning to see that PUBG is nominated as well as Bethesda. For what? It proofs me, that this award is worthless.

5 years ago

I agree, and I'm one of the people who voted in categories I know nothing about just to get the badge. I tried not to nominate the first trash I saw, but... yeah. Steam needs to give us a badge for voting in like more than half of the categories, not all of them.

At least I can somewhat see why people still voted for Bethesda, they've got a history of solid, truly enjoyable games (even though they are trying really hard to ruin their reputation lately, and doing a good job of it), but PUBG? Ugly, broken mess made by a bunch of lazy, greedy hacks.

5 years ago

i think rockstar shouldn't be, since as i remember not any games from them has been released on steam or pc... if they win (and i think bethesda or rockstar will) it's just cause of the fangays...i mean,fanboys. they defend and vote everything they are related to
for same reason,skyrim VR is also not a VR game,is the standard skyrim (with even more bugs) just adapted to VR with a very bad porting,witout even caring about making a decent menu for VR
told that,if steam want to have those low quality products,it's fine...i mean,let's do it to lower = better ... why not put anywhere epig games too? and why not put fortnite on VR? i think even if it doesn't exist,it can't be worse then skyrim VR.

that upside was a joke,but it's so cringy that's also a fact

now that i think...where's insurgency sandstorm and Rising storm vietnam? WTF

5 years ago*

Yeah, and Bethesda as well.

5 years ago

Looks like a lot of nominations that were to be expected but are disappointing nonetheless.

There are definitely some ridiculous ones in there... PUBG for GOTY, GTA V for labour of love, or Bethesda for best dev, to name a few.

EDIT: Is there some way to see what you nominated? I can't remember what I picked for most categories in the end and I'd like to know if any of them ended up on the list.

5 years ago

It seems the nominations page no longer works. I seem to recall that in previous years, though, it would highlight ones you originally nominated, when it come times for final voting.

5 years ago

nice, i voted (or wanted to vote) for some of these :3

Nominees for Game of the Year
nope
-
Nominees for VR Game of the Year
nope
-
Nominees for Labor of Love
ok
- No Man's Sky
- Stardew Valley
-
Nominees for Best Environment
ok
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
-
Nominees for Better with Friends
nope
-
Nominees for Best Alternate History
ok
- Wolfeinstein II: The New Colossus
- Fallout 4
-
Nominees for Most Fun with a Machine
nope
-
Nominees for Best Developer
ok
- CD PROJEKT RED
- Ubisoft
- Bethesda

View attached image.
5 years ago

Folks, I know it may not really mean anything, but please don't vote for developers (or games from developers) that promote anti-consumer practices. The inclusion of Denuvo, releasing broken games and not supporting them properly, having crap-tons of DLC for the purpose of milking customers, etc.

Maybe devs don't care about Steam Awards, but that's no reason why people should vote carelessly. Having a selection that reflects our desire to not be abused is better than a selection that says the opposite.

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

Good to see Path of Exile in there, also had GGG for best Dev, they have been very attentive and responsive for years. The new league that just started is amazing again :)

5 years ago

Mostly just a list of most popular AAA games (and their developers). The fact that some of these games can even be voted on year after year means that the majority of lesser known games have zero chance to make it onto the list in the first place. It doesn't signify much to me.

5 years ago

when people stop nominate 2-3 old games? Same games every year :/ shitty event, as always, gg Valve

5 years ago

Exactly.

5 years ago

Big bleh. But that's why every year I put up random crap to get the badge faster anyway, there's no point thinking about this crap, and I sure wont do much voting to get my cards.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

m e h
I always hope for more 'diverse' candidates, but I'm always disappointed - oh, well

5 years ago

Not happy with the GOTY nominees (PUBG? Really?), but everything else is about what I'd expect honestly. Not enough indies, but hey, there's never enough indies.

5 years ago

Bethesda with a 'Best Developer' nomination? Ehhhh, not this year.

I'm really underwhelmed with the rest of the nominations, too.

5 years ago

Nominees for Game of the Year:
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Nominees for Labor of Love:
Dota 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Nominees for Best Developer:
Ubisoft
Bethesda
Rockstar Games

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Assassin's Creed® Odyssey

2 place in community Wishlist here, on steamgifts.com
https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaways/wishlist
Or people still think its funny to joke about Ubisoft?

We should joke about only one "best developer" - Valve, with "Artifact" and "battle royal" in CS Go. For more than 10 years all they did is this crap.

we’ve excluded ourselves from this category

Agree with Dota and PUBG. But u should add Witcher 3/Fallout 4/Rocket League and all old games in your list.
All this event is useless right now, people will never learn new good games if others people will nominate same games every year.

5 years ago

2 place in community Wishlist here, on steamgifts.com

and what? is it a proof that game is good and deserve GAME OF THE YEAR award? it's mediocre at best. Btw i don't think majority of gamers out there even know about existence of Steamgifts, especially console players.

Or people still think its funny to joke about Ubisoft?

Well jokes about EA, Activision are still relevant, so why not

For more than 10 years all they did is this crap.

That's a nice description of what Bethesda is doing with Skyrim xD less than 10 years ofc, but still

u should add Witcher 3/Fallout 4/Rocket League and all old games in your list

I seriously can't blame anyone who vote for these mentioned games, it's only choice they got because i can hardly remember any good game released in 2018, 2017 on PC. Agree with Fallout though, it shouldn't be there.

All this event is useless right now, people will never learn new good games if others people will nominate same games every year.

I agree with you. But blame twitch and streamers that advertise crap like PUBG and everybody jumps on the bandwagon. That's why crap like PUBG, Fortnite, Overwatch are popular.

5 years ago*

It's quite sad, I agree :/

5 years ago

the real question is, will my ASF bots be able to randomly vote shit, so that they get a card drop for voting?

5 years ago

The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt, Subnautica and Wolfenstein are all amazing games. I would have loved to see Slay the Spire pop up in the lists somewhere, since it is probably the best singleplayer deckbuilding game out there, has a very dedicated development team and was a huge commercial success despite belonging to an unusual genre.

5 years ago

Well, 5/8 of my votes actually went through so I can't say I'm disappointed. Though there are still a couple of.. interesting picks, to say the least.

5 years ago

Ubisoft and Bethesda for best developer, sure thing.

5 years ago

WTF is wrong with people...

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.