Looks like the XCOM remake in 2012 really started something. First Xenonauts finally left the endless beta stage to recreate it in a more faithful, two-dimensional way, and now one of the old XCOM developers popped up to take a shot at the turn-based tactical genre. (Not to mention that last year Shadow Tactics also contributed by reviving the old Commandos—or, more precisely, the Desperados/Robin Hood—formula.)

Phoenix Point promises many things, but it seems to be closer to an XCOM remake + Wasteland 2 hybrid than trying to recreate the original. Probably it will also loan a few things from the studio's previous strategy game, Chaos Reborn (Steam, GOG), which was met with an "okay" reception.

The Fig campaign seems a bit short and the goal surprisingly low. Still, they promise Steam and GOG release, so it seems the current builds were good enough to pass GOG's quality control. You can check it out here:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

So, any opinions?

UPDATE, 2019-03-12:
The developer studio released an announcement that they are moving the game to Epic store for an entire year after launch. They are not sending out Steam or GOG keys to those who backed or pre-ordered the game.

Edit: Seems like they added it to the FAQ: if you bought the game before this announcement through their website or as a backer, you will get your Steam/GOG key once the one year is over (sometime around September 2020 with the current schedule).

I know Epic Game Store is a sensitive topic for some, so I am just cutting out some steps and link the official refund request page:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfO26JYsfvrASig8dEVBhlUby8ahM2f-Obk-dnbJ2EKWirhXA/viewform

(As for a personal opinion: I do not mind EGS or even a game going there as an exclusive, all the Steam-only games throughout the past 10+ years made me jaded about it. What I do not like is buying a GOG key and receiving something else. If my GOG key would be converted to a Steam key, I would feel the same.)

6 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Interested?

View Results
Yes, pledging
I am not sure…
I'll decide after it was released and the reviews are in
Nah

Guess hell is a galaxy far away judging by the nightmarish look of the aliens :D

6 years ago

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 months ago.

6 years ago

Looks promising but I want to see more actually gameplay of it.

6 years ago

6 years ago

The original XCOM was one of the first games I've ever played on PC, therefore I'm a sucker for everything related. Art style looks good though... let's see where it goes. Thank you for the info.

View attached image.
6 years ago

Paging ambidot

6 years ago

Ah, you beat me to it, nice. Wish you linked the developers videos too for the others.

My initial opinion and feels and reaction is that it looks exactly like xcom 2 except generic with realistic weaponry and uglier with the characters and "aliens". Geomap is exactly the same and the functions and mechanics seem the same with just some minor new things like rations. Combat and movement grid, vats usage, it all looks too ugly for me. Behemoth missions sound disappointing and not epic, the immersive atmosphere the description and teasers were ruined by finding out there's actually alot of surviving humans, I liked the near exticction feeling I initially got. Problem is it's too much like xcom, it exactly as xcom, THE creator of the genre is simply copy pasting fireaxis game and uses it as a foundation to built upon it way too similar ideas and concepts that don't feel different and unique apartly from xcom. I know it's going to be a good game and I'm too poor to back it but...IL just see but for now, I am not awed....I look forward to seeing the different mutations as the virus goes inside the mainland though, the concept arts look brilliant but the ingame graphics , art and visual style, and animations destroyed the whole gritty and grim dark feel they were going for, for me, the mist doesn't look dangerous enough, this close to it and it didn't do anything.

6 years ago*

I didn't want to get into details, this thread is more like aimed to tell people this even exists and where it comes from to give the general idea.

6 years ago

I know, good on ya for that in mind. Also re-read what I wrote, I tend to do these initial edits.

6 years ago

I dropped 25 bucks on it, only because it promises a GOG key. I realised that the stress of 100%-ing games has ruined the fun factor for me, whereas playing fully offline without a client can still spark interest. And who knows, maybe it manages to find that something I missed from the new XCOMs. Like a proper soldier inventory…

6 years ago

Yeah, oversaturation, age, 3+ year forced break from games, fatigue, doesn't go well with games. Fully offline? I'm sure it will have that, for whatever reason you might need it. Yes, maybe,because it is the creator himself and will surely try to find all kinds of new approaches but I have my doubts, like proper inventories that of Wasteland 2? No way is that happening in my thoughts, not that the game is that similar to Wasteland 2 anyway. Either way, 2 years is what we got to wait...

6 years ago

Very interested, but not pledging. Will wait until a year after release when price drops below pledge level needed for game.

Poll option missing.

6 years ago

You won't wanna get into the early access beta whatever testing at 2018 Q1?

6 years ago

Nope. I have lots of big huge games to play. No need to ever buy on release or early access or pledge ahead of time ever again. For the rest of my life I can safely wait until a year or even two after release and get games cheap. That is, if I don't win them for free here first.

6 years ago

Looks amazing, I'm not a fan of the alien character models though, too much emphasis on looking scary rather than looking like Aliens.

6 years ago

Their humans and animals, not aliens. And yeah their going for the cthulu vibe, creatures from the deep sea and all that.

6 years ago

My mistake, I just looked at screenies when I posted I hadn't read the summary! A virus would be interesting so long as they avoid a "zombie"-esque virus as that's soooo overdone.

Anything turn based like x-com has me in anyway, I'm just a big hater of horror games and characters, sometimes they seem ugly rather than scary. I particularly hate human faces on spiders or things like that.

6 years ago

You should really read everything and watch all of the three current developer videos before coming back here to comment. Well if mutations, adapting to your strengths and harnessing your technology that they will eventually steal, them I'm sure you're safe from most zombie tropes at least. Turned based squad tactics die hard, I hear that. Shouldn't have on horror games bro, I'd take horror over sport and spaceship simulators anyday. They are indeed ugly, everyone and everything in this game so far and I too don't like it, you're not the only one, me, you and management more express their hatred for the human faces and I have already the generic mirelurk enemies, probably just starter ones though. Anyway, you will have to get used to it as will I, just something for us to remember that these were humans once I guess, with still human thoughts and brains functioning , but the mist\sea\waters\ocean took them and now it's a battle for the land.

6 years ago

Oh yes, I've pledged already for 20$ :P Been watching this project for some time already

6 years ago

Mr. Gollop got me at "...body-part targeting..." . I was surprised with the notification from Fig last week, because I'd had no knowledge about the game before 18th April. So when I got the fig-note, saw the above line, I instant-pledged the game (with the $20 backstage pledge only though).

I'm sad the in-game extra items are not available as Pledge Extras, but well...maybe I don't even really miss the crab-armor and the freak-gun.

6 years ago

Sound like terrible preorder bonuses to me. Mods will give them to us though.

6 years ago

No, they are not pre-order bonuses, they are available in packages Deluxe ed. and above ($50 and above I think), among other extras of course.
Well, if the game will be moddable, it will be another hell of an alien-smasher chess game :) (Just like XCOM2 is now...in my opinion...don't need to agree with me LOL )

6 years ago

That's pretty much what preorder bonuses are, not worth. I'm tired of seeing aliens be smashed. Anyway, good luck waiting 2 years.

6 years ago

I backed it :D

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 months ago.

6 years ago

The first two X-COM are probably on my top 10 favourite and most played games ever. Still, I will not back or preorder this and will only get it after launch if it turns out to be good.

6 years ago

First two as in UFO Defence and Terror from the Deep? Because with the remakes, people refer to two games as the "first".

6 years ago

Yes, I also tend to count them as one game :)

The other in the series I never played that much. I actually enjoyed the first game in the reboot and have XCOM 2 on my backlog. Still, the magic of the original game(s) was not there...

Xenonauts I've never played and have it on my wishlist from before it was on Steam... should get it someday. And now Phoenix Point is on my watch list. I really hope they make something great!

6 years ago

actually this one reminds me incubation :)
looking nice, hope it will be made

6 years ago

The game will be now epic exclusive. I'm pissed, and refunded.

5 years ago

Yeah, just saw the video and read the FAQ myself. Thanks for the bump, now I did not have to search for my topic to update it. :3

As for refund: I'll ask them if they will honor my GOG request a year later. I can wait. If they do, I am staying. If not… well, I am okay with Epic, I am not okay with a bait and switch. I was looking forward to a DRM-free version.

5 years ago

Spoiler: they won't for now

5 years ago

Quick! To the refundmobile! :D

5 years ago

Is this even legal?

5 years ago

If it isn't, then most likely only in the EU.
Good question, although since the company is to my knowledge British, I assume they ran it through lawyers.

5 years ago

I would never assume anyone ran anything past an attorney

5 years ago

yes.

It should be paving new ground legally, but, you're preordering a game, and they will deliver said game, you received the game. Switching delivery method does not change that.

5 years ago

The Kickstarter is listed on Fig at the bottom page of the Fig Kickstarter listed above stated.
"All investors using the Site must acknowledge and accept the high risks associated with investing in the Securities. These risks include holding your investment for periods of months or years with limited or no ability to resell and losing your entire investment; you must have the ability to bear a total loss of your investment without a change in your lifestyle."

Basically, as a Backer of a kickstarter, you are backing an "investment". As far as I know, such investment does not promise returns. In the event that the project is cancelled or the product goes unreleased you'll lose your investment. Thus, in case the kickstarter decides to refund the investors, then you'll get your returns. Correct me if I am wrong.

Its a blow to EAs and Kickstarters though, Cheers, Cruse~

5 years ago

rip, p.s. thats a disgusting attitude to customers.

5 years ago

I was waiting for this game. Now I will just have to wait a year more.

Good. It will be more polished when it will hit Steam and GOG.

5 years ago

another game to the bay list 👍

View attached image.
5 years ago

Given that the game's official Community Manager for the game said:

If we had to refund 100% of currently pre-orders, we'd still be in the black.

...it's for a minimum guarantee - which means Epic will guarantee that we will sell X number of copies. Even if we don't hit that number, they still pay us.

...Reddit has contrasted these statements with pre-order & fundraising totals to ascertain that one-year exclusivity on the Epic Store is worth at least $2 milllion USD.

5 years ago

My question is, how are they going to use the extra funds? Will they go beyond, develop and release, "Floating Phoenix Base" and "Underwater Missions" that hadn't reached the stretch goal? If they are using the extra funds for the future development left out by the stretched goal then I will say it won't affect too much in this instance. As we know that period could be use for bug fixes especially in a Strategy game with calculations involved. Therefore, i see sense in the backers waiting the yr out and with the Free-LCs.

Recently ordered a new PC with 2070 RTX and I chose Exodus as the game of choice, which will be an Epic Store code, NOW!!! That's something I can't avoid but at least its a Free-key lol~
Warmest Regards, Cruse~

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.