1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

A bump for sharing

1 decade ago

Looks interesting, thanks for the share.

1 decade ago

Or he hired a bunch of freelance workers and didn't give them credit. I don't think you'd be obligated to credit someone who provided contract work to you for a game.

1 decade ago

Original company description:

Shining Rock Software has only a single developer doing all the software development, artwork, and audio.

My goal is to make simple and fun games for people to enjoy, similar to the enjoyment I got from playing shareware games back in the 1990s.

I've been gaming and programming for a long time. I used to work as an professional graphics engine programmer making console games for about 10 years before going 'indie'.

The current title in development is a city building strategy game called Banished.

Been following the devlog for nearly 2 years and it really looks like this guy knows what he does.

1 decade ago

I'm just skeptical because It takes an extremely well rounded individual to be able to create a game like that. For someone to be able to produce quality programming and mechanics as well as art and sound production. Who knows.

1 decade ago

*Luke: At this point it is. I’ve done most of the game by myself, so I see no reason not to continue that way ’til I get it out. I was going to do music by myself, but I let a friend alpha test the game and he’s a musician as well, so before I could get to it he started writing music! So the music is by someone else, but other than that it’s all me. I certainly want to keep it that way.

After two years I’m almost there. I’m at the end part of game development where you’re fixing bugs and balancing and adding the front-end menus, and all the little stuff that makes the game better, so I think I’m almost there. Certainly if I do expansions or another game, and Banished does well for me, I might get some more people to work with me – just because all the artwork, sound, and programming is a lot of work.*

1 decade ago

This sounds really interesting, would definitely be interested in trying this out!

1 decade ago

Wishlist material right here

1 decade ago

unzip

1 decade ago

Looks very interesting, thanks for sharing

1 decade ago

Wow, and a single person did this? Amazing. It's like an improved version of Stronghold but focused on the day-to-day instead of on the war. I've added it to my wishlist. Thank you.

1 decade ago

<3

1 decade ago

.....i shred a tear thinking about Sierra everytime i see those kind of game

1 decade ago

Looks interesting. No combat though? I wonder if there's any sort of difficulty in it.

1 decade ago

Nope, no combat.
The difficulty is to manage every single of your villagers, to assign them to the right job, keep them warm, fed and basically alive throughout the winter. It's more of a survival and resource management sim, than a classic RTS.

1 decade ago

It looks wonderful and all that on only 250mb space?

1 decade ago

Woah, I didn't know it's gonna be on Steam, was this on greenlight or something? How did it manage to get there?
Anyway, can't wait for this game.

1 decade ago

I can imagine he has some business contacts from his 10 years game industry experience.
He probably negotiated with Valve's sales department and bypassed the whole Greenlight process.

1 decade ago

Yeah, makes sense.

1 decade ago

Looks really great. 1 guy? And I'm just sitting here...

1 decade ago

Thank you! Another game on my wishlist! ><

1 decade ago

Finally!

1 decade ago

Hurrah!

1 decade ago

Thumbs up for making this really good-looking game all on his own.
LAter '13 we'll see how it plays.

1 decade ago

Reminds me of Anno.

1 decade ago

looks like awesome game :)
anyone knows how much it will cost?

1 decade ago

I guess between 10 and 20 bucks.

1 decade ago

1 guy? wow that has to be an achievement of a lifetime!

1 decade ago

Hope that "late 2013" is somewhere in November.
Great surprise that it's on steam. I follow the Devlog and haven't seen any info about it.

1 decade ago

awesome game, maybe 19,90 or in pre-sale 15,90.
I will buy

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Member.